fall

run away with me, lost souls and reverie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Weeks had passed, and there wasn’t a single moment where Byulyi left her princess’s side. She would wake up earlier so she could wait for her each morning. A sleepy mess would greet her after knocking on the door, hair tangled, nightgown falling hopelessly down her left shoulder. 

 

It was a sight that Moonbyul adored more than she would care to admit. Even when said view would whine at her for waking her up. It would take more than an hour for Yongsun to get ready for breakfast. 

 

That was all the blonde needed to recover some sleep, snuggling one of Yong’s pillows as she napped on her bed as comfortably as her armor allowed her to. When it was time, the princess would take her revenge by jumping on the bed, making Byulyi plunge on the floor more than once.

 

Their day would start from there. After breaking their fast, Yongsun would usually follow her bodyguard to the barracks. There were some new recruits that needed training, and some old ones whose days off were spent gambling in the encampment. 

 

Most of them were always surprised to see the princess. It wasn’t often that she was allowed to walk so freely away from the palace. The fact that the King trusted Byulyi enough to keep his daughter safe was enough to make the blonde feel proud.

 

“Not even my own people know me.” She had explained once as amazed mobs crowded their path. 

 

Byulyi learned that Yong had not always been this overly protected. It wasn't until her mother fell gravely ill after a long political trip that the king became paranoid. A rebellious daughter didn't help appease his worry, to say the least. So at the age of nine, and with the weight of being the future of the realm on her shoulders, Yongsun had become heavily guarded. 

 

For her own protection, everyone always said. She was the heiress to Silla, after all. It all made some sense in Byulyi's head. 

 

"I never asked to be a leader. I just wanted to be free. My mother got to see the world, why can't I?" 

 

The blonde figured that Yongsun wouldn't like her answer.

 

Because you're the most important person in the realm. Without you, they're all lost. 

 

More burden to add to her already tired mind wasn't what the other woman needed at the moment, really. Especially not while stargazing on the princess's large balcony, the cold marble tiles under them teaming up with the chilly wind to make the pair shiver. It wasn't even winter yet, but judging by the crispy weather, it would be a tough one this year. 

 

Byulyi liked it. It reminded her of home. As much as she enjoyed being in the capital with Yongsun, her heart still ached for the North. 

 

Snapping out of her thoughts, she noticed a very focused Yongsun studying her while lying on her side, weight supported by her right elbow. Being under such heavy gaze made her feel small, and she shied away from it with a nervous laugh. "What?" 

 

"Have you ever kissed someone?" 

 

It was like her brain automatically shutdown. She stuttered, for 's sake. "Wha-What the hell are you even talking about? Weren't we just talking about how miserable you are?" 

 

"I prefer making you feel miserable." Oh, she knew what she was doing. That dumb, arrogant smirk that drew on her lips had become too familiar for Byulyi over the months. "Well, have you?" 

 

"Have you? " 

 

"That's not fair!" Yongsun whined as she sat up. Her black hair fell down, almost grazing her shoulders. In nothing but a thin nightgown, her arms and side gleamed beautifully under the soft glow of the stars above. It made it hard for Byul to focus on their current argument, the fifth one of the day. "I asked you first." 

 

"Why would you like to know?" The blonde asked, sitting up in order to face the princess. If she was going to win this, she had to at least feign being carefree and relaxed. Not that her first response helped her cause.

 

"I've been talking about my life for weeks now, and yet I have not heard much about yours." 

 

A shrug. "There isn't much to tell. Your loyal gossipers already told you most of what my life was like."

 

Silence settled in, with only the casual patrolling soldiers in the inner walls making a sound every now and then. Byulyi decided that she was hungry then, and stole Yong's cut apples and pears from her plate. The leather and steel of her armor had long been discarded in her room, and was now only wearing a simple white undershirt that matched the cream-color wide bajis that made her looks borderline ridiculous.

 

Another chilly breeze made her regret leaving the leather behind, but at least she still had her boots on, contrary to Yongsun's bare-feet. When the princess shuddered, the bodyguard didn't hesitate. She hopped closer, leaving the half-finished fruit behind. Yong's eyes followed her with interest. Cautiously. She never really knew if Byul was about to do something adorable or annoying.

 

But tonight, it was the former. The blonde edged her hands towards Yong's until her fingertips brushed the back of them. Softly, she engulfed them in hers almost immediately. It felt like fire was running down their veins, like their joint grip would make the world around them burst in the blink of an eye. 

 

It was always like this. There was never a moment when their bodies touched that did not feel like fireworks had been set off inside of them.

 

Byulyi managed to convinced herself that the goosebumps on Yongsun's skin were due to the hot air she'd blown on her palms. It made more a beautiful sight, so she did it again.

 

"Byul." The princess asked huskily. 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Have you?" 

 

Oh, for heaven's sake. 

 

It was really impossible to distract Yongsun if her mind was set on something. Her greasy tactics held no power there, she realized bitterly. Sometimes Yongsun was too smart and too witty for her own good. 

 

Just sometimes. 

 

"I have." She replied, shaking her head in defeat. "The baker's daughter when I was fifteen. She was pretty." 

 

"Prettier than me?" 

 

With a gentle hold on her hands still, cocky smirk on her lips this time, she replied. "Nobody is prettier than you, your grace." 

 

The whine she received followed by a er punch to her left shoulder proved something to her: her greasiness still worked after all.

 

▝▝▝

 

After some days, though, the men had grown accustomed to having the heiress they’d risk their lives for around. It was good for morale, or so Byulyi would like to tell her often during their midday break. 

 

They would eat their packed lunch under the shadow of a big, old tree near a creek. Sometimes they returned to the palace, but often they chose not to. As excellent as a hot meal was, nothing compared to relaxing against a large trunk, Yongsun babbling away to her side. 

 

“They’re getting better, but they need more training in archery. Also, I’ve heard some of them can’t swim. I think you’d do great at teaching them how to.” She went on and on, mouthful, cheeks adorably stuffed. 

 

Byulyi turned to the brook behind them. The water would most likely reach up to her shins. 

 

“Where? There?” She asked, mockingly, which earned her a soft blow to the leg. 

 

“Take them to town. Do you no longer remember the river we visited?” 

 

How could I forget?

 

“They’ll drown.” 

 

“They are not going to drown if you teach them how to swim, stupid.” 

 

“I don’t think the locals will appreciate sweaty men dying in their drinking water.” 

 

Point taken. Or at least that’s what it felt like when Yongsun decided to change the topic of conversation. 

 

“Well then, teach me how to sword-fight th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter