In the dark

In the dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You don't need to save me,
But would you run away with me?

// In the dark

It had been over a week now since Sowon started waking up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep. Usually, she would be covered in sweat, left as a mark of her constant nightmares. Yes, Kim Sojung was frequently suffering from nightmares. In her dreams, she would most often see her friends and family abducted and tortured by bad people while she was forced to watch. Other times, she would dream about her father, suffering a slow and painful death, while she could do nothing to help and sometimes the dreams would be about herself. 

Those dreams were in some way the worst. Not that the dreams about her friends didn't leave her shaking and unable to function for hours at a time, but her dreams about her father are not just a nightmare, it's real. She was scared and felt helpless over and over again. How would she be able to protect those dear to her? 

This time, she had relived a fan signing event where Eunha received a death threat, but the sender showed up this time and she could do nothing as her members were shot in cold blood. Sowon felt sick to her stomach and decided to get a glass of water for her parched throat. The sweat made her clothes stick to her and for a few moments, she debated whether to take a shower or just change once she stopped sweating. Finally, after she had downed a glass of ice-cold water, she rummaged around for a clean shirt and another pair of pyjamas.

A few minutes later Sowon found herself heading to the bathroom. The dorm was so peaceful at this time and Sowon was hoping she could spend her nights as calmly as she felt now. The fear that usually lingered after her nightmares had dissipated and didn't feel as tense any more.

Once Sowon reached the bath, she stripped down and jumped into the shower cubicle. She waited for a second while the water warmed up and then stepped under the jet of hot water. Another sigh of relief left her as she washed away all her worries. The water felt great as it ran down her shoulders and back, loosening up her stiff muscles.

'It was just a dream. I'm safe here. We even have guards outside the building, nothing can happen here.' Sowon repeated to herself, soaking in the warmth of the water. She quickly rinsed her hair and body but stayed under the running water for a couple more minutes. She was finally calm again.

Once dressed, Sowon headed outside her room to put the dirty clothes on the laundry and stopped short when she noticed a familiar head of raven hair sitting in one of the sofas. Not wanting to scare her, Sowon approached from the side where Sinb could easily spot her softly calling her name.

"Sinb? Are you all right?" Her concern for the younger grew when she saw that her knees were tucked close to her chest and her body was trembling slightly. Sinb hadn't heard her yet, so Sowon cautiously reached out a hand to touch the younger one's shoulder. The second Sowon's hand made contact with her skin, she jumped and let out a startled noise. Sinb's eyes darted up to her and the sight made Sowon's heartache. Sinb was scared.

"A-ah, unnie. I didn't heard you, sorry." She mumbled her apology and looked away rather stiffly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you like that. Is something wrong?" Sowon tried again and waited for her answer. She could tell that she was upset and needed to talk to someone, but she didn't want to pressure her into talking.

"...couldn't sleep" Sinb mumbled out and gave a small smile, but Sowon could tell right away that it was forced. The younger was trying to be brave and not worry her, but she could see the uneasiness right below the surface.

"I couldn't sleep either." Sowon offered a small smile hoping Sinb would see it as an invitation to continue the conversation. For a second she thought she wasn't going to reply, but when Sinb finally did she wasn't put at easy anyhow.

"Hmm..."  Sinb returned to her previous position and hugged her knees close to her, protecting herself. Sowon decided to stay with her for a while and make sure she was okay. It was late and Sinb should really be getting some sleep. Sitting down on the sofa next to her with a good bit of space between them, Sowon wondered how to get the conversation started.

"Did you have a nightmare?" She asked softly. From Sinb's stiffening of her body, Sowon guessed that she was right. The younger seemed to struggle with herself on whether to admit it or not and finally gave up with a sigh. She nodded mutely.

"Me too."

They were quiet for a few minutes, letting the silence engulf them. Only one of the small lamps near the TV was on, and its light was so weak that they could barely see each other. Sowon was fine with it being dark. That way, she wouldn't continuously glance in Sinb's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter