Go

In The Night

Taeyeon put down her bags as she examined the room. She expected Jessica to have a sleek cool garage to work in, but the exposed cement walls said otherwise. Was she going to even have the proper equipment to make Jessica’s cars faster?

Walking in like she owned the place (probably because she did), Jessica gave Taeyeon a sly smile, “I thought you might take my money and run.”

Taeyeon patted her belongings, “No. I just thought if I am here for a while, I should go home and get the essentials.”

Jessica raised her brow at the 3 giant suitcases and one duffle bag, “Umm I am starting to question if you have more clothes than me.”

Taeyeon laughed, “No no. This has all my tools and computer. The duffle bag is my clothes.”

Jessica turned around and motioned with her finger to follow, “Let me show you where you will be staying.”

Taeyeon grabbed her bag and followed the racer. Going through the complex, Taeyeon liked the modest décor. There was nothing flashy about Jessica’s place, but she did notice Jessica had elegance sprinkled around with the leather furniture, marble countertops and the latest entertainment system.

“This is your bedroom.”

Taeyeon put her bag on the bed and turned around to give the room a good look.

“I am down the hall in the master bedroom. One rule of the house is that you never interrupt my sleep. Several days before any race I will start sleeping days so I am alert during the night.”

Taeyeon nodded. Jessica seemed very serious about her profession.

“If there is anything that you need though, don’t hesitate to ask. I want to make sure you feel like you are at home.”

Taeyeon smiled, “I appreciate the thought but I should be good with what I brought.”

Jessica nodded in agreement, “Then shall I show you the cars?”

Taeyeon was confused, “I thought the car in the garage was it?”

Jessica laughed, “No my dear, that one is being sold off. The cars you are working on are in the other garage and where you will be working.”

Taeyeon raised her brow, very curious to see what Jessica had hidden up her sleeve.

Jessica went to the living room and pulled a book from the shelf, opening the bookcase. Taeyeon was already excited for this big reveal knowing things are in hidden places. Walking in the hallway, Jessica pulled out a keycard from her pocket to unlock another door that opened to a slick, well-lit garage with a purple hue, “Wow.”

Jessica smiled seeing Taeyeon’s joy, “These are my cars.”

Taeyeon walked through the garage like a kid in a candy store looking at some classics mixed in with the newest models, “T-this isn’t supposed to be on the market till next year.”

Jessica walked over to the car, “I get paid for the promotion. This isn’t a racing car, but right now my personal car.”

Taeyeon wanted to drive this car so bad, but that might be overstepping her bounds, “So which one did you want for your next race?”

Jessica took some keys out of her pocket and handed them to Taeyeon, “Do your worst.”

Taeyeon clicked the unlock button to watch the yellow Jaguar call to her like a beacon, “Oh my…she is going to be a beauty when I am done.”

Jessica walked over to the car, gliding her hands over it’s frame, “I think this one has the most potential. The others here are great, but some of the motors don’t leave much room for modification. This one needs to be race ready in a few months and then we are off to Spain.”

Taeyeon nodded along, “I know the race in Spain. There is a pretty big bounty on that one.”

Jessica smiled, “That bounty is going to pay for your work so keep in budget. I don’t want to be losing money on your experimentation.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I am not rebuilding the engine or anything like that. I will make this existing one work as it was intended to and maybe add some nitro or something cool like that. Either way, you won’t lose.”

Jessica patted Taeyeon on the back, “Don’t make me regret hiring you.”

“Never. I am the best in this business.”

Jessica smiled, “Show me.”

---------

Over the next month, Taeyeon dedicated days and nights to the car. She practically moved into the garage to work on the car. Jessica would pop in and out seeing how things were going or offer Taeyeon to take a break for meals, but Taeyeon wanted to make sure this car was perfect for Jessica’s upcoming race. Eventually Taeyeon was able to get the car to the point where she needed Jessica to test drive it.

“Are you busy?”

Jessica looked up from the paper that morning surprised to see Taeyeon standing in her living room, “Right now or today?”

“Umm for the next week or so?”

Jessica wanted to laugh, “That is very vague but what for?”

Taeyeon smiled brightly, “The car needs a driver.”

Jessica raised her brow, “You finished it in a month?”

“Not exactly. I want to fit the car to your driving habits. I will collect data and make adjustments over the next few weeks to make sure the car works perfectly for you. Only you.”

Jessica smiled, “I am starting to believe you are the best. No one ever fitted the car for me before.”

“That is why Yuri beat you. I saw you had a hard time with the turns. I guessed the car you were driving was a little too tight on the suspension for your liking. Thus your turns were awkward.” Taeyeon tried to explain.

Smirking, Jessica felt her heart beat a little faster, “So you were watching me?”

“Correction, I have been watching you for weeks. Every race I could get my hands on, I tried to match the car the best I could to you based on that but I can only do so much from films. Once you get into that car, my computer will monitor everything down to how you shift your .”

Jessica crackled into an uncontrollable laugh, “oh my…I hope not. Down to my ?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “It is important I promise.”

Jessica shook her head, “Alright. I will book the track and we can start tomorrow.”

Taeyeon pumped her fist, “Yes! I can’t wait to see her at work.”

“By her, do you mean the car or me?”

Taeyeon played with her thumbs not daring to look at Jessica, “The car…”

Biting the inside of her lip, Jessica didn’t know why she was seething with jealousy, “We will see about that.”

And so Jessica did. The day they decided to go to the race track, Jessica wore the most revealing tracksuit that she owned. If Taeyeon didn’t know better, she would think the suit was painted on with the way it hugged her skin, and that damn zipper should have been pulled up farther. Taeyeon needed to stop looking at the other woman’s bust.

“Are you ready?”

Taeyeon wiped away the drool from , “Uh…I just need to…these receivers.”

Jessica felt her ego spike with Taeyeon’s reaction to her outfit, “You need to put these on me? Well then, I leave it to you to do what you like.”

Taeyeon never remembered it being this hard putting receivers on someone but she carefully placed the round devices on Jessica’s arm, legs and neck as if she was handling a delicate piece of glass, “done.”

Jessica looked over Taeyeon’s work, “So this is going to tell you my habits?”

Taeyeon nodded absentmindedly, “uh yea.”

Getting into the car, Jessica strapped herself in, “Let me know when you are ready.”

Taeyeon released her breath now that Jessica was a few feet away from her, “I just need to connect to you.” Typing away on her computer, Taeyeon activated the receivers and pulled up the car’s specs, “Okay do a few slower laps to get used to the car. If this doesn’t feel right, come back in but if you are comfortable, pretend you are racing.”

Jessica adjusted herself in her seat, “Got it.”

Taeyeon watched as Jessica started to slowly gain speed, “How does the car feel?”

Jessica shifted to go faster, “So far it feels like the original car.”

Taeyeon laughed as she continued to monitor her computer, “Trust me, you will feel a very strong kick after a few more gears.”

“Then let’s try that out.” Jessica shifted a few more times until she finally felt it. Her whole back sank into the seat, her heart beat faster with the new kick of adrenaline and she quickly felt like she was already going at the fastest speed, “Oh my gosh Taeyeon what did you do to the car?”

Taeyeon smirked, “What you hired me to do, go fast. You can still shift up more if you want.”

Jessica tried to maintain control of her car at the faster speeds but she only went a few more laps before deciding to come in and take a break.

Taeyeon ran over to the car to make sure Jessica was alright, “Did something fail?”

Jessica was nearly out of breath leaving the car, “When you said it had a kick…that was one hell of a kick.”

Taeyeon went over to help a wobbly Jessica out of the car and into a nearby chair, “Too much of a kick?”

Jessica waved it off, “No way. I love it but I think I need to just get used to it. I never had a car knock the wind out of me like that before.”

Taeyeon pulled up the computer and typed in a few adjustments, “I can make that gear change a little smoother. Maybe I was being too ambitus to getting you to go faster.”

Jessica drank some water as she watched Taeyeon work and smiled. It was strange how her heartbeat wasn’t slowing down.