Chapter 1

Ungodly Hour

It was 2024. EXO finally returned after five years of solo activities and enlistment duties with their newest album with all nine members, something which fans had waited for since their Ex'act release. The news of this had spread like wildfire across all social medias with #EXOISBACK trending #1 on Twitter with over 2 million tweets. It was crazy how the lack of group work did not kill the fandom and had made them stronger and loyal.

 

Yixing was over the moon when Korean artists and celebrities were slowly making their way back to Chinese television and media, indicating that the boycott against Korean media was ending because it meant that the possibility of reuniting with s on stage was high. He was thankful this all happened before Sehun's enlistment was over and in 2023, he flew over to Korea to discuss his role in the highly anticipated comeback and was given the greenlight to join and promote as well.

 

So today he was back at SM Entertainment rehearsal rooms at 1am, alone working on the choreography for their latest titletrack, Raise Your Flag, a hiphop pop song with intense choreography. Yixing was almost 33 years old and knows he shouldn't overwork his body at this time especially with his permanent injuries. His pain has gotten worse over the years due to lack of rest and overworking himself but he could never admit it out loud because he just knows everyone would force him to stop. By everyone he means-

 

Yixing watched the door open from the mirrors and saw Baekhyun work in. Baekhyun. His closest friend in the entire Korean industry. The man who always knew how to cheer him up with just his cheeky smile and pretty voice. The one who made his heart race for the first time during MAMA 2016 when Baekhyun kept playing and touching his leg through his ripped jeans. Yixing shook his head to get rid of those memories, the feelings he had then because then it would mean he was in love. With Baekhyun. And that he was gay. Because he wasn't. Couldn't. Not in this industry, not in this lifetime.

 

"Hey Yixing," Baekhyun came in with a stern look. For this comeback, Baekhyun decided to bleach his hair to a dark blonde and he was wearing a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants. "You know you shouldn't be here right now. I thought you stopped trying to ruin your body."

 

Yixing laughed nervously. , did he always looked this good? No, stop thinking. "I'm fine, I was about to go home now anyway."

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, not believing him. "Really? Let me walk you back to Sehun's place then." EXO was at a point in their careers where SM stopped providing a dorm and they each lived by themselves. Yixing chose to stay with Sehun who he was close with and lived near the SM Entertainment building. 

 

"It's fine I can walk by myself," Yixing said. He actually didn't mind walking with Baekhyun but since his return to Korea and working on this comeback, his feelings for Baekhyun intensified and he wasn't ready to acknowledge it. He wanted to believe it would fade away and could still maintain their friendship. 

 

Baekhyun sighed. "I don't trust you, I bet you'll just go back to working on the choreography. Come on," he grabbed Yixing's arm and pulled him towards him. "Let's go, Sehun's place isn't that far."

 

"Fine." Yixing ignored his heart racing once Baekhyun touched him and quickly packed his belongings into his bag and they left the building together.

 

Korean weather in late October was extremely cold and during the night it was even worse. Yixing was putting on his gloves when he saw Baekhyun's hands were red from the cold. "Um do you want to borrow my gloves?"

 

Baekhyun looked down at his own hands and looked surprised. "Wow Yixing I didn't even realise," he said. He stared at Yixing's hands and a moment later quickly grabbed his hand.

 

Yixing made a small gasp. "Baekhyun what are you doin-"

 

"Don't worry about it, it's only us out now." It was true, only he and Baekhyun were walking out at the Seoul streets past midnight. Yixing sighed and decidedly to go along with it. Baekhyun's hands were warm and Yixing had to bite his tongue to remind himself to not squeeze Baekhyun's hands because it would be weird, for him. Before it was easy to touch Baekhyun and even give him small kisses but now, with his current feelings it felt impossible to act the same without feeling like a liar who is taking advantage of his friend. He was trying his best to appear as his usual self and hoped Baekhyun didn't notice.

 

The two walked silently for a while before Baekhyun opened his mouth. "So are you busy this Sunday?"

 

"No why?"

 

"Do you want to come over and watch movies together?" He asked shyly. He's so cute, Yixing thought. 

 

"Sure but please no more horror movies Baekhyun," Yixing whined.

 

Baekhyun laughed. "I'll have to see but can't make any promises," he winked.

 

Yixing smiled. With how packed their schedules were for both EXO and individually, it was rare for the two of them to just talk to each other. Somehow, this cold night was the perfect time to act like their usual selfs. They spend few minutes arguing and laughing over movies and Yixing was so happy having fun like this. 

 

"If we hang out watching your bad movies then next time we're doing what I want."

 

"Hmm," Baekhyun let go of their hands, it's so cold without him, and stared at Yixing intensely. "Can't remember the last time you wanted to do something with me."

 

, he noticed Yixing's changed behviour. "Baekhyun I-"

 

Baekhyun's demeanour changed in a second and went back to his usual happy self. "I was just teasing you Xing." His voice was anything but teasing but Yixing couldn't say that.

 

"Oh..." Yixing didn't believe him and had a feeling Baekhyun was putting up a front to hide his true feelings but didn't push him on it. "Okay."

 

They once again walked in silence. Few times Yixing wanted to grab Baekhyun's hand, squeeze it and apologise for his behaviour and tell him the truth. But he wasn't ready at all and felt guilty at the thought of touching him. So he let it go, pretending there was no issues or tension between them.

 

"We're here," Baekhyun broke his trail of thoughts. They stood outside of the penthouse building that Sehun lived in. Yixing noticed how glommy Baekhyun looked but he didn't know what to say. What could he say? He had to pretend everything was fine, even if it meant breaking his heart. "Goodnight Yixing." 

 

"Goodnight," he said quietly. Baekhyun stayed for a few seconds, probably hoping for Yixing to say something but he took the silence for an answer and began walking away. Yixing watched him in the freezing weather until Baekhyun disappeared from the road. With each step he took, Yixing's heart ached and wanted to scream. He could not risk it and so he turned away, into the penthouse building and prayed this night did not change anything from their status quo.