Map of the Heart

Map of the Heart

It was sunny today. Too sunny.

The brightness of the sun’s rays hurt Yixing’s eyes enough that he kept his darkened glasses on even as he entered the small shop. The smell of flowers was overwhelming as soon as he opened the door which set off the tiny bells hanging above.

At the sound of his arrival, you popped out from behind a shelf covered in different colored calla lilies. When you saw who the customer was, your face lit up. It was the kind of sunshine Yixing could never tire of.

Putting down the water jug and taking off your gloves, you skipped over to the vampire and hugged him close.

“You’ve been away too long,” you whispered, pressing your cheek into his chest.

He patted your back, guilt washing over him. You were right. He’d been gone just a little over a month this time. And it killed him to be away from you for so long. Even if you weren’t entirely aware of it.

“I’m sorry.”

Pulling away, you sighed. “Well, at least you’re back now. Did you find it?”

Yixing shook his head. “No, not yet.”

“Don’t worry,” you smiled. “You will.”

He certainly hoped so.

Yixing was a man without memories, a vampire who had no knowledge of his past life as a human. His first memory was waking up in a fresh grave and clawing his way out. The tombstone had read “Zhang Yixing” but he wasn’t even sure if that was his true name. If it wasn’t, he was sure the owner wouldn’t mind that he’d borrowed it for the good part of almost three centuries.

But there was one person who might be able to restore his memories. A witch who found a way to balance both light and dark magic. Naturally, that witch had hidden herself away and only a single map could show the way.

He’d spent the last five years searching for it and still nothing. He was starting to wonder if he should just give up. Who needed their human memories anyway?

**

Happy wasn’t enough to cover what you were feeling seeing Yixing again. The two of you drifted off to the small decorative table by the window front. You had fixed yourself a cup of tea, knowing that, as a vampire, Yixing didn’t much care for human drinks. If your family could see you now, they just might keel over from heart attacks.

You were raised in a hunter family. They weren’t the most brutal, only taking out those werewolves and vampires and anything else that was declared a threat against humanity, but they still killed. Your family was proud of their lineage, being one of the first hunter families formed almost a millennia ago. That life wasn’t for you.

It was a shock to your extended family, the day you turned eighteen and declared you wouldn’t be going through with the trial. No one had refused in generations, but your parents weren’t surprised. You were a gentle soul, not built for fighting. So, you left, going off on your own until years later, here you were with your precious little floral shop in the middle of the city.

The day Yixing walked in, you knew immediately what he was. A friend of his had finally confessed to the girl he loved and he wanted to send them congratulatory flowers. You’d suggested the yellow roses with baby’s breath. Along with dropping a hint about his species.

Yixing had been startled by your knowledge, but soon the two of you became friends, opening up to each other about your pasts. You helped him out by keeping an hear open for any sign of the map he was looking for, as many supernatural creatures frequented your shop, but so far your information was useless.

All you wanted was to help him get his memories back. He was tortured, walking around not knowing who he was, although you knew he tried not to show it.  

“Maybe it’s time to give up,” Yixing murmured.

“You can’t,” you argued, reaching out to take hold of his hand. It was off the table and in his lap before you could blink. For a split second, you’d forgotten his strict skin-on-skin policy. Occasional hugs were fine, but he didn’t like touching your hand. You never asked why. It probably had something to do with how cold his skin was.

Watching him flinch away from you hurt. More than it should have.

“Sorry,” you whispered, looking down at the table shamefully.

“No, please,” Yixing leaned forward towards you. “You’re fine. But I still don’t think I should continue the search.”

“You never know,” you smiled at him. “I’m sure something will come up here soon.”

Yixing returned the smile, showing off that dimple that you loved so much. Sighing internally, you stood up when the bell at the entrance chimed, signaling that a new customer had arrived.

**

Yixing kept most of his concentration on you as he continued to sit at the small table. You were trying to help a teenage boy pick out a corsage for his school dance. That determined yet caring smile was on your lips, completely concentrated on helping the boy find his perfect flower.

In his pocket, Yixing’s phone vibrated. It was message from Luhan.

Station. Now.

Frowning, he stood up, replacing his phone back in his pocket. He waited until he caught your attention, waving goodbye to you before slipping out the door. Jumping into his car, Yixing sped down the street, making it to the precinct in record time. He parked in the first spot he saw and walked into the station, getting down to the basement where his friend was waiting for him.

The morgue stunk of decaying flesh. Yixing chose not to breath just to avoid the assault to his nose.

Luhan was sitting at one of the tables, scribbling notes onto a clipboard. As soon as he heard Yixing’s footsteps, he jumped up.

“You know, my life was really quiet until about six months ago,” Luhan complained.

Yixing laughed. “Is that my fault?”

Rolling his eyes, Luhan zoomed over to a locked cabinet, opening it up and pulling out a small wooden box. He laid it on an empty slab, pushing it towards Yixing.

“What is it?” the latter asked.

“That, my friend, just might be what you’ve been looking for,” Luhan announced smugly.

Wide eyed, Yixing snatched up the box and opened up the lid. Inside rested a folded piece of fabric, faded and worn. Careful not to get to eager and tear it, Yixing unfolded the tan cloth, letting out a short laugh.

“How did you get this?” he asked breathily.

Luhan looked very pleased himself. “I got called in on an accidental fall. Body had been there for a while. It’s good thing we don’t have any gag reflex because honestly, the smell was just–”

Yixing pinched the bridge of his nose. “Luhan.”

“Right. Sorry.” Luhan cleared his throat. “I found it just lying on his shelf. It was too easy to sneak it out of there.”

“And he was just a human?” Yixing questioned.

Luhan nodded. “As far as I could tell. He traveled a lot, judging by the pictures all over his apartment. He probably just stumbled upon it and decided to bring it back here. Where it now lands in your hands.”

A human. All this time a measly human had the map. Right here in the city.

Yixing shook his head, chasing the rage away. That didn’t matter anymore. He had it. He could find that witch and possibly get his memories back.

As gently as he could, he folded the map and placed it back in the box.

“Luhan,” Yixing sighed. “I owe you. Whatever you need, just let me know. I won’t refuse.”

“Careful with that promise,” Luhan warned. “You never know what I might call it in for.”

“Luhan!”

Said vampire rolled his eyes as a female detective came stomping into the morgue. “What do you want?”

The female detective side eyed Yixing before crossing her arms over her chest. “That report on our drive by vic I asked for an hour ago.”

Cursing low enough that only Yixing could hear, Luhan snatched a file off the table behind him and handed it over to the detective.

“Thank you,” she said with absolutely no sincerity before disappearing back upstairs.

Yixing smirked. “She’s pretty.”

“Yeah, pretty annoying,” Luhan scoffed. “She’s always breathing down my neck. As if those reports magically write themselves in five minutes.”

“Well, as a…,” Yixing stopped himself from saying it out loud, just in case, “as one of us, you are a fast writer.”

“Still,” was his only argument.

Picking up the box, Yixing said goodbye to his now grumpy friend and left the station. The point that marked the witch’s lair on the map would be an easy enough place to get to, even if it was high up in the mountains. But first, he had to share the news with you.

It was late enough in the day that you were beginning your duties to close up the shop. Yixing practically ran into the shop, picking you up and spinning you around as you let out a yelp of surprise.

Yixing apologized quickly and put you down. In his excitement, he’d forgotten about his personal rule to keep you at arm’s length, to keep you safe. Whether you were from a hunter family or not, you were still a human, a gentle soul he could easily crush.

“What was that about?” you asked in a giggly voice.

Yixing held up the box to show you. “Luhan found it. By complete accident. But I finally have it.”

Your face lit up as if it were Christmas morning. “Are you serious? The map is really in there?”

He nodded. “Yes. She’s up in the mountains. Only a few countries away.”

Out of nowhere, you slapped his arm. To him, it was merely a feather brushing against the sleeve of his jacket.

“I told you that you would eventually find it,” you grumbled contently.

“I didn’t find it as much as it just fell into my lap,” Yixing corrected. “But you were right. Giving up was not something I should have considered.”

“So, when will you leave?” you asked hesitantly.

Yixing looked at you, frowning. “I think I can get a flight tomorrow. If everything works out, I should be able to find her cave in no time.”

“I’m coming with you!” You declared.

“No!”

You shrank back away from his sudden outburst. Yixing had never raised his voice at you, but he couldn’t take you with him. He didn’t know what the witch would do once he arrived, but he couldn’t put you in danger. Anyone else was disposable, but not you.

“I’m sorry,” Yixing whispered. His hand twitched at his side, desperately urging to push away the strand of hair that had fallen in front of your face. “It’s going to be dangerous. You could get hurt. And I’m not willing to take that risk.”

“I can take care of myself,” you pouted.

Unable to stop himself, Yixing patted the top of your head. “I’ll be back before you know it. And I’ll tell you everything. I promise.”

Giving in, you nodded with a pout. “Okay. Good luck.”

You were still mad at him, that much was obvious, but at least you’d be here waiting for him.

**

Yixing caught the earliest flight out of the country that he could. The cozy first class seat next to the window would suffice for the five hour flight. Even as a vampire, flying made him nervous. Crashes would result in fire, one of the few things he wasn’t invulnerable to.

Busy scrolling through the news on his tablet, Yixing paid no attention to the person who sat down next to him. As soon as the wheels were up, his headphones would be in, drowning out the noise around him.

“That looks interesting.”

Yixing’s head snapped up. It was no stranger that had occupied the seat next to him. It was you.

“(y/n)!” he snapped, his eyes going red. “What are you doing here?”

“Going on a trip,” you answered nonchalantly. “What are you doing?”

“This is not funny,” Yixing hisses, looking around the cabin to see if they’d caught anyone’s attention. No one seemed to be paying them any mind. “You need to leave now.”

You just pointed over your shoulder. The door was closed. There was no way they would let you off this plane.

Yixing growled. “How did you even know I was getting on this plane?”

You smirked. “My family has resources all over the world. Calling in a favor, getting your flight information, and booking my own seat was easier than growing carnations.”

Yixing rubbed his forehead. He’d never known you to be this stubborn. You were kind and accommodating. Where was this coming from?

“Did you tell your friend what I was?” Yixing whispered.

The “pu-lease” look you gave him almost made him laugh. “I’m not stupid.”

“I never said you were.”

After that the pilot started his announcements and once the plane was in the air, you put on your own headphones and a movie on the screen mounted into the seat in front of you.

**

You made it through two and a half movies by the time the plane started its descent. Taking a deep breath, you took out your headphones and looked over at Yixing. His eyes were closed and he was leaning up against the window, but you knew he wasn’t asleep. He couldn’t sleep.

That itching feeling was back in your fingers. The feeling that just wanted reach out and run your knuckles down his cheek. Sighing, you leaned back in your seat and took advantage of the moment, just studying his perfect features that were frozen in time.

You wondered what kind of person he was when he was human. He had to be a loving person. To be the soft soul he was today, he just had to be. A flash of jealousy hit you. Did he have a wife or a lover back then? Did he love her openly and without hesitation?

Yixing’s eyes snapped open and you faced forward, hoping you weren’t caught. He played the part of someone just waking up, faking a yawn and stretching out his back.

Off the plane and luggage reclaimed, Yixing kept a hand at the small of your back, making sure you didn’t accidentally get separated from him. After picking up the rental car, he drove the two of you a very nice, cabin-like hotel way up in the mountains.

“I have a reservation for Zhang,” he informed the front desk cleric.

The poor woman tried very hard to keep her concentration on the screen in front of her instead of the handsome man in front of her. “Yes, Mr. Zhang, do you have the card you used for the – oh! Thank you.”

Yixing had the card out and in front of her before she could finish her question. Acquiring an extra key, Yixing led you up to his room. Of course it was one of the largest rooms available near the top with a king sized bed he would never use and a bathroom bigger than your shop’s storage room.

“Get changed,” he ordered.

You blinked. “What?”

“I know you’re not going to stay in this hotel room even if I ask nicely,” he explained. “So I hope you brought clothes to change into. Unless you’re hiking in that?”

You looked down at your nice sheer blouse and black pants. “Of course not.”

Before he could change his mind, you grabbed your suitcase and ran into the bathroom. Kicking off your shoes, you shimmied out of your pants and into the cargo skinnies you’d bought just for this the night before. You tugged on the long sleeved shirt and sleeveless vest, shoving your feet into your hiking boots before exiting the bathroom.

Yixing, being the supernatural creature he was, had simply changed out of his suit and into a t-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes. At seeing you, he pressed his lips together, holding back a laugh that showed off that dumb dimple that made you melt every time it surfaced.

“Some of us actually have to be protected from the elements,” you grumbled.

“Let’s go.”

You followed him out of the hotel. There wasn’t any trail to follow, so the hike up the mountain was a rocky one. Multiple times you tripped and slid, thankfully caught each time by Yixing’s quick reflexes. The climb lasted for hours, the sun getting closer and closer to the horizon. Just before sunset, you made it to a cave.

Despite the cool air of the late fall so high up off the ground, the mouth of the cave was warm. Yixing forced you behind him before he slowly walked inside. Candles that were drilled into the walls of the cave lit by magic as you went in deeper.

The tunnel opened up to a large hall-like room with high ceilings. Pillars intricately carved stabilize the structure.

“You’ve traveled an awful long way, vampire.”

On the far side of the room, emerging from another side tunnel was a haggered old woman in black torn robes. Her gray hair was wild and unkempt, going perfectly with her deep wrinkled face.

“Yes, I have,” Yixing answered her.

Slowly, she made her way over until she was a mere five feet away. “But do you truly wish for what you seek?”

“Of course, I do!” Yixing snapped. “I’ve waited centuries.”

The old witch cackled. “Memories are precious. They make up who we are. But precious things do not come free. Are you ready for that sacrifice?”

Yixing stood up straighter. “I’ll give you whatever you want.”

A wicked grin grew on her cracked lips. “I don’t believe you will. For what I want in exchange for your memories is what you love most in the world.”

**

Yixing couldn’t move. There was so much he was ready to give up; his immortality, his wealth, anything at all. But he never expected…

As if in slow motion, Yixing turned to look at you. You stared back at him with a look of confusion. He’d done his job too well, concealing his feelings for you.

“Well,” you nudged him with your elbow playfully, completely unaware of the turmoil going on inside of him, “what is it, Yixing? You’re wallet?”

Yixing swallowed, made difficult by the dryness of his throat. He turned back to the witch, bowing. “Thank you for your offer, but I will have to decline.”

“What?” you screeched. “But Yixing, we came all this way. You’ve been searching for years. What’s so important that you’re going to walk away now?”

The witch’s ear-piercing cackle bounced off the cave walls. “She doesn’t know? I thought you vampires just took whatever you wanted.”

“We’re not all the same!” Yixing shouted.

“Yixing?” You reached out him, resting your palm against his arm. “What is she talking about? What don’t I know?”

He didn’t answer. Instead, Yixing grabbed ahold of you, swinging you onto his back, and ran out of the cave. He didn’t stop running until you were back at the hotel and in the room, not caring if a blur of him was caught on camera.

“Yixing!”

You whirled on him as soon as he’d put you back on your feet. You swayed a bit from the sudden change of motion, throwing off your balance. Yixing started to help you steady yourself, but you swatted his hands away.

“What was she talking about?” you demanded.

Yixing sighed, releasing all the tension in his shoulders. “(y/n), please-”

“No! No ‘(y/n), please’ like you always do when you want me to drop a subject.” You stomped up to him. “Tell me what she was talking about.”

Unable to resist the big eyes he’d worked so hard to build a wall to, Yixing took a small step forward and cupped your jaw with both his hands.

“You are the thing that I love most in the world.”

A quick breath of air swept into your lungs at his confession. You shook your head. “N-no, you don’t. Y-you’ve always kept me away. I’m just a human. Your friend. Is Luhan? I’d understand if it was him.”

Yixing put a soft smile on his face. “I was just protecting you. Just being my friend puts you in danger. Showing the world how much more I care for you….” He sighed. “What a terrible way for you to find out.”

Where he thought you would smile and pull him in for a hug, you pushed him away, shocking him. He’d caught you staring at him a hundred times, heard your heart rate increase whenever he came close. Was he so off course?

“Yixing….” You sniffed, tears pulled in your eyes. “I’m not that important.”

“You are the most important thing!” he yelled.

“But you need to know who you are!” You countered.

Yixing shook his head. “(y/n), stop. It’s over. Time to move on.”

You opened your mouth to continue the argument, but you quickly shut it. Instead, you whirled on your heels and ran out of the room. He didn’t go after you, knowing you just needed time. You’d tried so hard to help him get his memories back that it was understandable for you to be upset.

For a few hours, Yixing just stayed in the spot you’d left him in. He didn’t move, just waiting for you to come back. His statuesque stance seemed to be permanent. And then his brain felt like it was on fire.

Images flooded his brain. Himself in the mirror dressed in ancient chinese robes. Servants rushed around him to take care of the daily chores as he mulled about the grand manor. No one looked him in the eye. He got everything he asked for, exploding in the rare times he didn’t. These images… these memories… was this who he was?

The memories kept coming, confirming his question. And that’s when he knew.

“(y/n), no!”

**

You were an idiot. You knew this was so stupid. Each step that took you closer to the witch’s cave only increased your knowledge of this. But you kept going anyway.

The witch was waiting for you when you made it back to her hall.

“I was expecting you,” she grinned.

You rolled your eyes. “Yes, yes, the all knowing witch by just a glance.”

“You’ve come to make a deal?” she guessed, reinforcing your statement.

“Is there anything else you’d be willing to take to take for Yixing’s memories?”

“No,” she answered simply.

Your shoulders slumped. “Why do you want me?”

The witch stepped closer to you, circling around until she came back to the front. “I don’t give anything away for free. Every choice must have a sacrifice. The true question is, ex-hunter, how much do you love the vampire?”

“What does that have to do with anything?” you spat.

“Everything,” she snickered. “You know how long he’s been without knowing who he is. Three hundred years is a long time to not know your own past. You know how long he’s struggled, unable to find the answers. Now you have the power to give him everything he’s ever wanted. So, what will you do?”

Damn it. She knew just how to get to you. Because she was right. As a vampire, Yixing would be here long after you died. Should he really go through the rest of eternity not ever knowing - not every having those memories of his previous life - just so you could have a few extra decades?

“Fine,” you mumbled. “Just do it. Give him his memories back and take me.”

That wicked grin back on her lips, the witch stepped forward and placed her index finger over your heart. The constricting feeling around your heart made it impossible to breathe. You fell to your knees, the pain nearly unbearable.

“(y/n)!”

Yixing?

A pair of cold arms wrapped around you and flipped you over. Yixing cradled you in his arms.

“No, no, (y/n).”

You could barely feel his icy hand against your cheek. You gave him one last smile and then closed your eyes.”

**

Yixing could feel the life leave your body. Blind rage filled his every fiber and he left you to pin the witch up against the pillar.

“Why did you do that?!” he roared. “Why!”

“She made a choice,” the witch sneered. “I simply went along with her. She took the offer you refused. She made the choice that you couldn’t. Funny, how a gentle human who couldn’t hurt a fly was braver than you, an all powerful vampire.”

“You goaded her into it.” Yixing slammed the witch against the pillar, creating cracks in the stone. “Bring her back.”

“Do you not like knowing who you were?”

Yixing snarled. Because she was right. He hated it. Showing off his wealth and humiliating a foreigner he didn’t know was a vampire, leading to his violent transformation and thus his lost memories.

“The Zhang Yixing of the past was a spoiled rich boy who pissed off the wrong vampire. I don’t care who that person was. Take them back and give me (y/n). She’s worth more than any past life.”

“What a waste of my talents. Vampires used to be fun, more self loathing. You’re too straight to the point.” The witch put her hands on either side of Yixing’s face, her fingers seering into his skin.

Piece by piece, the memories slipped away until he was no longer Zhang Yixing of Ancient China. Once again, he was just Yixing, the vampire with memory loss.

A small groan behind him brought him back to his senses. He was by your side in a second, sitting you up.

“Yixing?” you called out in a gruff voice, as if you’d just woken up from a nap. Blinking a few times, you finally focused on him before throwing your arms around his neck. “I’m so sorry. That was so stupid. I’m so sorry.”

Yixing sighed, feeling the warmth of your heartbeat against his chest once again. “Just promise me that you won’t ever do that again.”

He felt you nod. “I promise.”

The witch had disappeared from the room, giving Yixing the courage to do what he’d fantasized doing so many times before.

Pulling back, Yixing looked you in the eyes and then dived in, connecting his lips to yours. To his relief, you moved against him willingly, returning the kiss.

“Let’s get you out of here,” Yixing suggested as he picked you up in his arms. “I’ve wasted enough time with you. I don’t plan on letting you go for a very long while.”

You gave him a quick kiss and confessed, “I love you.”

“And I, Yixing, will love you forever.”