Soomi

Charming Instruction

You scrambled off the bike as fast as you could, just wanting to get out of there. It seemed like every time your mind started to wander in Junmyoen’s direction, reality slapped you back on track.

“Thank you for the ride,” you mumbled quickly before taking off in the direction of your apartment.

“(y/n), wait!”

You didn’t wait. You didn’t even slow down or second guess your decision to run. The way that woman was looking at Junmyeon and his surprise at her appearance, there was something going on there and you didn’t want to be in the middle of it.

The whole way back home, your mind kept going back to that secured little room back in the museum. A tiny slice of your mind wanted to read into that scenario.

He’d driven you away from campus on a motorcycle, clad in a leather jacket and looking nothing like the college professor you were used to. And then he took you to a museum, to a secret room in a museum and let you just stare at the artifacts without any sense of rushing you. He said that he hadn’t shared that with anyone, putting you right back into the “special” category. That had to mean something, right?

The much bigger part of your brain that was a bit pessimistic reminded you that it was simply because you were an archaeology student. And that he was your professor. And that you were planning on moving far away once your final semester came to an end with your graduation. So, you shouldn’t care about any mysterious girl that randomly shows up and makes goo-goo eyes at Junmyeon.

You shouldn’t even be calling him by his first name whether it was just in your head or not.

Walking through your door, you sighed as it clicked shut behind you. Then you were bombarded.

“Who the hell was the hottie on the motorcycle?” Cam demanded. She didn’t seem angry at all. In fact, there was a sparkle of excitement in her eye.

Behind her, Gemma was bouncing up and down as she munched on a sandwich. Apparently, Cam had shared the little sight of you disappearing on the back of a motorcycle, most likely adding a few flourishes that made it sound much more adventurous than it really was.

“How do you know he was attractive?” you countered, searching for a possible get away. “He was wearing a helmet.”

“I’m not totally blind, (y/n),” Cam scoffed, leaning back a little to give you more room. Not enough to escape, but enough to have your own space back. “Even under that jacket, I could see that he was attractive. Now, who is he?”

She was not going to let this go. Especially after you had point blank told her that you weren’t seeing anyone just a few minutes before running off with some guy. That was the thing about a lie, once you created one, you had to string more of them along until you were completely entangled in the web. But you couldn’t confess the truth now. Junmyeon was counting on you to help him stay out of harm’s way, to keep his own secret. But the best way to keep a lie was to put just enough truth in it so keep your head on straight.

Entangling your fingers together in front of you, you started to mumble, “He’s a guy….”

“Yeah, we got that much,” Gemma giggled.

“A guy… in my class.” See, just a little bit of information that was technically true. Junmyeon was in your class. He just simply stood in front of everyone else and gave the lecture rather than being one of the students listening and taking notes.

“Ooo,” Cam wiggled her eyebrows at you. “What’s his name?”

“Jun-” Crap. Why did you answer so quickly? You couldn’t give them his real name. These two were too slick for that. They’d make the leap in record time if they just happened to come across your professor’s full name. But you already gave part of his name away. “Jun..ie?”

“Junie?” Cam snorted.

Gemma finished off her sandwich before adding, “Isn’t that kind of… cute for a guy in leather jacket?”

She had no idea how much she’d hit the nail on the head.

“I didn’t pick his name,” you grumbled. Letting out a hefty sigh, you begged, “Can I go to my room now?”

“Uh-uh,” Cam grabbed your wrist and pulled you over to the couch, making you sit down between her and Gemma. “Give us the deets.”

You frowned. “The deets? That’s not even a word.”

“The details,” Gemma elaborated with a groan. “How did any of this happen?”

“Where did you guys meet?” Cam asked excitedly. “Was it in class or outside and you happened find out you were in the same class? What’s his major?”

“How many times have you ridden the motorcycle? Is he at least a safe driver?”

Too many questions were being thrown at you in both directions, you were getting dizzy from focusing your attention from one friend to the other. This was like the night you came home from the woods all over again. However, this time, instead of jumping up and running away, you retreated into yourself, folding up and burying your face in your knees.

The difference was that, in this particular situation, you weren’t just telling lies to protect Junmyeon. If you gave your friends more details, then they’d be fake scenarios that you wished could be true.

It was almost too much, the strange happenings that you’d experienced over the last week were bizarre to say the least, but you didn’t wish for it to go away. It was just the opposite, really. You were almost… thankful for it. Who else could say they’ve lived through something like this?

Well, okay, the other pack members’ mates probably had similar experiences, but you doubted they were exactly like yours. None of the other boys were professors after all, nor did they have to wrestle with the fact that they had a crush on a person they could never have. And it wasn’t even a crush anymore. You were headed straight into the danger zone.

Crushes typically consisted of vague notions and surface level looks. And you would have certainly said that whatever was brewing inside you before Saturday. But now? Now you had to admit to yourself that you liked Junmyeon. You liked his smile and how open he was with you. You liked how he thought of you when he wanted to share his family’s history. And – as much as you hated to admit it – he was very appealing on that motorcycle, even if you liked the bookish professor look a little bit more.

“(y/n)?” Gemma called out soothingly. “Is everything okay?”

You lifted your face just enough to rest your chin on your knees as you sighed, “Yeah. Everything’s fine. I just don’t think it will last too much longer.”

“Why not?” Cam asked, all her earlier enthusiasm replaced by genuine concern. She placed a hand on your shoulder, squeezing it gently to reassure you that she was there for you.

“I think I like him more than he likes me,” you admitted, that woman’s – Soomi, did he call her? – face flashing in your mind. “And besides, I’m leaving next year anyway. No point in getting too attached right?”

Neither of your best friends said anything to contradict or confirm what you said. In your peripheral, you watched them exchange a look of worry as they took turns rubbing your back. They were only seeing a portion of the turmoil you were currently going through. Back and forth you went, trying to decide if you should continue accepting invitations from Junmyeon should they happen in the future or if you should just severe all contact outside of class now before you got hurt.

**

“(y/n), wait!”

You didn’t slow down at Junmyeon calling for you and he was helpless to watch you take off from the univeristy, headed for a cluster of apartment buildings that were havens for the students since they were cheap and could hold several occupants comfortably.

“Did I interrupt something?” Soomi asked, looking truly worried as she watched your retreating back as well.

Junmyeon sighed, swinging a leg over the bike and hopping off. “I honestly don’t know.”

Soomi raised an eyebrow at bike. “Is this new?”

“Uh,” Junmyeon cleared his throat. “Yeah, it is.”

“Did you buy it for her?” Soomi’s voice came out cautiously, like she was afraid of the answer.

“No,” Junmyeon answered defensively. “I bought it for myself.”

She nodded thoughtfully. “I don’t think even a seer could have predicted that.”

“Did you need something, Soomi?” he snapped. And immediately regretted it. He’d never once been so rude to Soomi, but the wolf was growling with irritation, overwhelming his logical thinking. It wasn’t her fault that she happened to be nearby when he was with you. She wasn’t a malicious person. It was simply terrible timing. “I’m sorry, Soomi. I shouldn’t have said it like that.”

A smile that used to make his heart flutter crept up in the corner of Soomi’s mouth. Its past effect no longer existed and Junmyeon was somewhat relieved.

The boys used to hound him, asking over and over what it was about her that made him feel that way. He never had an answer. Maybe it was her differentness. Maybe it was the fact that he didn’t have to explain who he was and fear that she’d run away. Or maybe it was simply due to the fact that he needed someone to fill that void until his mate came along. If it was the last option, then he felt incredibly guilty. That wasn’t fair to Soomi and that wasn’t right of him.

“It’s okay,” Soomi said softly. “I surprised you, so I understand.” She ran her fingers through her long black hair, looking at him shyly. “I was wondering if you had time to go get that cup of coffee.”

Junmyeon let out a long exhale. “Soomi… I can’t.”

The smile deflated from her face. “Listen, Junmyeon. If this is about potentially finding your mate someday, it’s okay. I’ll understand. Why not spend the time enjoying life? I promise, I’ll step aside when the time comes. No harm, no foul.”

“I still can’t,” Junmyeon exasperated, holding the inner wolf back from snapping at the suggestion. She didn’t mean any harm by it. While she knew about it, she didn’t really understand it. “Yes, in the past, it was about the fact that my mate might show up any time and I didn’t want to hurt you, but now….”

She frowned. “But now?”

Junmyeon let the answer hang in the air, not verbalizing it. Understanding blossomed in her eyes, smothering any sign of hope that used to grow there.

“Oh,” Soomi avoided his gaze, keeping her eyes down at the sidewalk. Then she looked back up at Junmyeon, resigned. “That was her, wasn’t it? The girl who ran off?”

Junmyeon nodded. “Yes. But she doesn’t know yet. She knows about me and what I am, but she doesn’t know she’s my mate yet.”

“Well, I’m sure she’ll feel extremely lucky once she does find out,” she mused.

“I hope so,” Junmyeon mumbled, more to himself than to Soomi.

“Well,” Soomi said, a bit louder and firmer than necessary, “I guess I’ll head out then. Have a good night, Junmyeon. And good luck with your mate. I know the two of you will be very happy together.”

“Thank you,” Junmyeon forced a half-hearted smile on his face. The kind where both parties know it’s purely out of politeness and not because the giver is happy about the situation. “And I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be,” she insisted. “It’s just the name of the game. Good night.”

“Good night, Soomi.”

For a few moments, Junmyeon just stood there, leaning up against his bike and watching Soomi walk to her car. It was only when she drove away did he finally get back on the bike to head home. This time, though, he didn’t put the helmet back on. He knew it was dangerous, but that didn’t stop him from strapping the protective gear to the backseat and roaring the engine to life.

Junmyeon loved the way the engine purred, vibrating the whole bike while it anticipated the jump to get going.

Kicking off, he headed back to the farmhouse, taking advantage of the long ride on the deserted road. The wind whipped at his face and tousled his hair, but he didn’t care. It was an almost freeing feeling. Like when he was running in his wolf skin, the forest blurring by him as he kept his focus on what was immediately ahead of him.

That focus helped keep his mind from wondering off to other paths with dangerous ideas. Like turning around to find you, to explain everything. But he couldn’t do that. You weren’t ready yet. You were still so quick to run away after Soomi showed up, he could only conclude that you misunderstood the situation.

Junmyeon slammed his hand down on the handle, making the bike falter and wobble just for a second before he was able to correct it.

He just wanted to tell you everything. Why couldn’t he be brave enough to just say it, out loud for you to hear and accept him so he could stop feeling like this and be with you?

The farmhouse came into view and Junmyeon slowed down until he came to a complete stop just outside the garage before walking the two wheeled vehicle the rest of the way in. Minseok’s car was gone from the garage. So the house wouldn’t be too full. Meaning there wouldn’t be too many to watch during the night’s run. If they hadn’t already headed out without him.

The living room was deserted, but Junmyeon could hear voices and movement coming from the kitchen. He shook his head. They had a perfectly good living room that was bigger than the kitchen and yet everyone preferred to hang out there.

Everyone who didn’t choose to go back into town was sitting around the table, watching Luhan and Sehun play an intense card game, picking the flimsy pieces of laminated paper and putting them back down in a flash.

Egyptian Rat Kill.

Junmyeon could never figure out why the game was called that. According to Luhan, it had several different names, but that was the one they stuck to.

“I thought you guys would have been gone by now,” Junmyeon said as he took his jacket off and slung it over the back of the breakfast booth. If Minseok had been there, he would have given the leader a death glare, but for now, Junmyeon did what he wanted to. This was his house after all.

Maybe if he kept telling himself that he would actually exert that authority. Maybe someday.

“Those two wouldn’t pause their game,” Baekhyun grumbled, tapping the table with his fingers impatiently.

“This kid will cheat if I take my eyes off the game for a second,” Luhan pointed out, his comment emphasized by the fact that he did indeed refuse to look away from the cards.

“That’s not true!” Sehun whined. “You’re just a sore loser.”

Luhan rolled his eyes before slamming down his hand on the pile of cards between and jumping up in victory. “Take that!”

With pouting lips, Sehun swiped away the scattered cards, grumbling to himself as he folded his arms across his chest. The rest of the pack was cheering or shouting. Junmyoen even noticed a few bills exchange hands. These boys. They bet on everything.

Above all the noise, though, Yixing seemed to notice Junmyeon’s lack of smile or any sort of emotion that showed he was entertained by the scene before him. Typically, Junmyeon would have been grinning and laughing at his brothers, but his face remained somber.

“What happened?” Yixing asked as he stood from his seat. “You look like you got booed out of the classroom.”

“I ran into Soomi on campus,” Junmyeon murmured, keeping his eyes down.

“Ah,” Tao snapped his fingers like he was the cleverest one in the room, “so you had to let her down and tell her about how you’re no longer on the market and a free man – ow!” Luhan, who was right next to the self-professed playboy, had smacked him upside the head.

“Yes, I told her,” Junmyeon confirmed.

“But that’s not all that happened?” Jongin guessed.

Junmyeon groaned, running a hand through his hair. It got caught a couple time from being tangled by the wind. “(Y/n) was with me when we ran into Soomi.”

“Tell me you didn’t freeze,” Baekhyun pleaded. When Junmyeon didn’t answer, Baekhyun gasped. “You totally froze, didn’t you?”

“I don’t get what the big deal is if he was surprised to see Soomi,” Sehun shrugged. “He wasn’t expecting her. It’s only natural.”

“You need a better understanding of how the female mind works,” Chanyeol scolded.

“Yeah, you’re one to talk,” the maknae bit back.

Luhan gave Junmyeon a sympathetic look. “I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that (y/n) high tailed it out of there.”

“Like a cat after someone stepped on its tail,” Junmyeon confessed.

“Ouch,” Baekhyun winced.

“Whether she knows about being your mate or not,” Yixing said, “you’re going to have to explain to her that you and Soomi are just friends.”

Sehun raised an eyebrow. “But I thought once you find your mate, you don’t have feelings for anyone else? Why would you freeze at seeing Soomi?”

“I was just shocked,” Junmyeon argued. “All those feelings really do go away. I just didn’t expect to be caught like that. And by Soomi, no less.”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Caught like what?”

Junmyeon picked up a napkin from the counter and crumbled it up before throwing it at Baekhyun. “Get your mind out of the gutter! I just meant on the motorcycle. (Y/n) was sitting behind me. That was it.”

“Perfectly understandable,” Tao snickered.

“Why don’t we go for a run,” Luhan suggested. “Maybe that’ll cool you down and help you figure out how to explain things to your mate.”

Junmyeon nodded. “Yeah, good idea.”

“Finally!” Tao whooped and hollered as he ran out the back door, already shirtless and working on jumping out of his jeans.

“That boy has issues,” Baekhyun mumbled.

“Just go,” Junmyeon sighed, already headed out himself.

By the time he’d shifted and his front paws his the dirt floor of the forest he knew best, he already felt a little better. He could fix this. He could make this work and get his plan back on track. Every journey had a few deviations, didn’t they?