Family issues

Fate / The Last War

Residence of the Lee family, Busan, South Korea. May 18th, 2018.

Gahyeon was peacfully asleep when her eyes shot open. She took a look at the clock, it was a quarter past 9 in the morning. Seeing the time it was, she got up so quickly that she had to wait a few seconds for the dizziness to fade. Father had already been waiting for her for fifteen minutes, and Father hated unpunctual people.

After tidying herself up and getting dressed, she ran out of her room in the direction of the patriarch's study. Due to the rush she was in and her growing nervousness, the girl was not exactly attentive to the path she was going by, so, at a certain moment, she ended up colliding with something while turning a corner. Well, better said, with someone.

As she registered what had just happened, her gaze sought out the other person involved in the little accident. In front of her, a well-dressed man rose from the ground in absolute silence. Panic flooded Gahyeon's eyes, it was not the first time something like this had happened to her, she had always been somewhat clumsy, but on that occasion it was not a servant or some family worker with whom she had confidence, but one of his father's friends.

- I beg you excuse my clumsiness. - She said when the other had already got up, bowing as a sign of respect. Looking up, something about the man's face was familiar, but for a few too long seconds she was unable to know why.

- Oppa...? - She asked, unconvinced.

It had been almost a decade since Gahyeon had last seen her older siblings. At that time she was a scared child whose father had decided to send to the Clock Tower to study, instead of, as he had done with Seungri and Siyeon, teaching her at the family home. When she returned four years ago, they had both left to, for one reason or another, never come back. Or so she thought.

- Hello, Gahyeonie. - The older answered, smiling. - I see you've grown a lot. - He continued.

In another situation, she would have grimaced when she heard the name, since everyone used to treat her as if she were still a little girl, but, coming from her brother, it did not cause her any inconvenience. Just the opposite.

- You're already a woman... - Seungri finished, in an almost imperceptible tone.

Probably, if Siyeon had been there to listen to him at that moment, to which the wizard was grateful to not happen, she would have glared at him, and would have pushed the younger one away from him as much as she could. But she was not there and the innocent pink-haired young woman had not grasped the true meaning of the other´s words, and had taken them as just another normal comment.

- What are you doing here...? Father ... he... he... well, you know ... - The girl tried to ask, too embarrassed of having expressed her curiosity aloud to even try to maintain eye contact with her brother.

- Well, that happened a long time ago, little sister. Our family had many problems because of what happened four years ago, but it is time for justice to come.

The truth was that Gahyeon only knew a quite distorted version of that whole story, although she knew that had father had expelled the firstborn from the family residence, she thought that it had been Siyeon's fault, who had manipulated him to participate in the ambush that she herself had orchestrated.

- Speaking about Father... when I talked with him this morning he told me that he wanted to speak with you, so I suppose the reason you were in such a hurry is because you are late, am I right?

- I forgot it! - She exclaimed. With the bewilderment and excitement of the moment, her mind had relegated the real reason why the accident had occurred. - I'm sorry, oppa, I have to go, or he will be angry ... more than he already, for sure, is.

- Easy, tell the old man that I held you back. - Seungri replied, winking, and got out of the way.

Less than a minute later, Gahyeon found herself in front of the imposing door of the patriarch's office, fearing retaliation for her delay. Before she could dare to knock, the man opened the door.

- Come in, I was waiting for you. - He said.

Beyond his usual unfriendly face, he didn't seem to be especially upset or angry, so the young woman sighed in relief, and followed him into the room.


Urbino, Italy. May 22nd, 2018.

Night was beginning to fall in Urbino, and Siyeon was still sitting on a bench on the outskirts of the city, gazing at the majestic Renaissance Ducal Palace. Her phone had rung several times in the last half hour, but she had decided to ignore it. She needed to be alone.

They had arrived to the city two days ago with the intention of meeting with Enzo, a contact of Taeyeon, who would provide them with the relic to invoke the Servant with the Lee sorceress would participate in the war. Said encounter would take place during the morning of the following day, and Siyeon was more overwhelmed than ever.

She couldn't stop thinking about everything her family had done, all the pain they had caused. She couldn't stop thinking about Gahyeonie and reproaching herself over and over again for leaving. For leaving her alone.

Over the years, and thanks to the idea that the Grail was finally destroyed, she had managed to get rid of some of the guilt she felt, but the news received days ago had been a real blow to her.

Had she stayed, she would now be the representative of the Lee family, instead of Gahyeon. She knew her father wouldn't be stupid enough to put Seungri in front after being able to convince those idiots at the Association with that charade.

- I don't know why, but I knew you'd be here. - Taeyeon said, interrupting her thoughts. - We were worried, we have called you a thousand times.

Siyeon remained silent, not knowing what to answer. In the absence of response, the older one sat next to her.

- Siyeon ... are you sure about this? You don't have to do it... - The sorceress continued, with a worried tone.

- Unnie, you know I have to. You, more than anyone, know it.

- What if your sister does not participate?

- My father has been obsessed with getting the Grail for years. He trained my brother and me to participate in the war, as he was too coward to even try to participate himself. And now that I'm gone, and Seungri can't fight... - The hatred that Siyeon felt towards his older brother could be heard in her voice when she spoke his name. - Unnie, I put Gahyeon in danger.

- You couldn't know what was going to happen. We all thought the Grail had been destroyed, and your sister was safe in London at that moment. - She made a little pause and sighed. - You're right, I know more than anyone what it is to feel the guilt of having abandoned someone who needed you, but you were wasting away. That house, your own family, was killing you.

Taeyeon remembered well the state in which the blue-haired girl was when they had first met eight years ago. While the methods of the Lee family patriarch were known to be harsher than acceptable, seeing the, by then, teenager, bruised, crying in a random park in Busan, was an image that would never fade from her head.

- Siyeon, I left because I felt that my family controlled my life, but you left to survive.

- And now my sister will pay for what is now proved to be a mistake. My mistake. - She sighed. - The only way I can protect her is by participating.

- You say it as if she can't protect herself. She's as Lee as you are, Siyeon.

- Unnie, you don't understand. Gahyeon's magic circuits are very weak, that's why Father sent her to the Clock Tower, instead of training her himself. He was ashamed, he considered her as a failure.

Now everything made sense to Taeyeon, the change on the attitude of the young sorceress, her insistence to participate in the war, the pain in her eyes...

- If he now has no other choice but to send her... who knows what he will do to her? He is a wicked man, unnie, he only wants power, and he will not give a to sacrifice his own daughter if he manages to possess the Grail.

- So what's your plan?

- I have to face and defeat her as soon as possible. This will prevent her Servant from consuming too much of her magical energy. - She sighed deeply before continuing to speak. - To the question you asked me before, no. I'm not sure, but... Do I have other option?