Winds of War, Part 1

Fate / The Last War

Residence of the Kim family, Seoul, South Korea. May 17th, 2018.

- So our worst omens have come true ... damn it. - The patriarch of the Kim family was walking nervously throughout his study. Despite being a restrained man with great self-control in the presence of others, the information received had taken him out of his mind. Nothing good was coming. After pouring himself a glass of liquor, he dropped heavily into one of the expensive armchairs that occupied the room, after which he took a small sip.

- Sir, do you want me to call your daughter? - Asked Jaehyo, the head of the family's most trusted man. He was nervous, his boss's reaction hadn't gone unnoticed at all. - She should be informed, after all, she will be-. Before he could finish the sentence, Mr. Kim cut him off sharply.

- No. Tomorrow there will be time for it. She must enjoy her day today, Jae. - A small smile appeared on his face as he crossed his gaze with the trustworthy young man, whom he considered like his own son. Instantly, a deep longing stained his gesture. - Since her mother left us four years ago, she has not been the same. It's not just that she no longer looks at me the same way, it's that she seems to have lost her illusion. She spends long hours locked in between books, and practices until she falls down. Discipline and perseverance are highly valued qualities among wizards, but ... well, at least that girl has been able to make her come out ...

- I understand it, sir. Nothing and no one will ruin the lady's birthday, I assure you. - Jaehyo intervened again, trying to prevent the other man from falling back into the melancholy that had characterized him in recent years.

- Perfect, thank you, Jae. If there's nothing else you'd want to tell me… you can leave now.


Pesaro, Italy. May 17th, 2018.

- Siyeon, you should read this. - Said a woman in a serious tone, her frown made it clear that the paper she was holding in her hands did not, precisely, contain good news.

Before Siyeon could do anything, Sana Minatozaki, a young woman of great vitality and permanent smile, oblivious to the real meaning of the information received, snatched the note from Taeyeon's hands, and began to read it.

- The Great ... Grail? - Asked puzzled. - What is the Great Grail?

At a slow pace, as if all the weight in the world had suddenly fallen on her shoulders, Siyeon crossed the room and approached Sana. Once next to her, she did the same the other had done just an instant ago and took the message from her to read it carefully. When she finished reading, she crumpled the sheet of paper, and threw it angrily against the wall. For a long time, she had dreaded the arrival of this day. After a long and heavy sigh, she decided to answer the younger one's question.

- The Great Grail is an instrument capable of fulfilling the wishes of the one who achieves it. To do this, seven sorcerers are summoned every sixty years to wage a war, along with seven heroic spirits, in which only a sorcerer, or master, and his spirit, or Servant, can be victorious and, with it, gain access to the Great Grail. Many people lost their lives because of those wars, so Lord El-Melloi II, along with Rin Tohsaka, and the patriarch of the Kim ... -As she said those words, Siyeon turned her gaze towards Taeyeon, who was still with a frown. - He tried to dismantle it. The  Mage's Association objected to this and, not only did they fight, but they ambushed them. Until now, it seemed that the Grail had still been destroyed, but ... if what has come down to us is true, my father, and the rest of those power-hungry dogs, achieved their goal. - In her voice it could be seen the shades of anger and remorse that the memory of her family caused her.

- Unnie, but ... what does that mean? - The Japanese asked again. While she also had magical abilities, she had lost her family as a child, and after spending her childhood and part of her adolescence from foster home to foster home, it was in Taeyeon and Siyeon that she found a real home.

- That means that when I left ... I signed my sister's death warrant.


Residence of the Lee family, Busan, South Korea. May 17th, 2018.

- The Grail is ready, father. Before long, another war will begin, and that Lord El-Ridiculous and that little Tohsaka girl won't be able to do anything to prevent it. - Said Seungri, firstborn of the Lees. - They will regret having humiliated our family. Soon they will all be kneeling at our feet.

- Easy, boy. You have worked well, and I am proud of you, but it is still too early to consider the war as won, sure that moralist Kim will send his brilliant daughter. - A sarcastic laugh escaped her aged lips. - He left his poor dying wife in bed to go with those self-righteous to "save" the world and, when he learns of the existence of a new Grail, he will not hesitate to send his beloved daughter to a certain death.

There had always been a rivalry between the Kims and the Lees, but that rivalry had turned into outright hatred when, far from understanding the possibilities offered by the mythical artifact, Chung-hee Kim had betrayed the Mage's Association by helping El-Melloi . Truth be told, he had paid dearly for it, Kwan Lee and his son had made sure of it. And there was more left to pay.

- But, father, that girl has nothing to do against me. I will show that we, the Lees, are not only stronger, but better strategists. With a high-class Servant, I could-

- You? - The patriarch interrupted him. - You becoming the family's representative during the coming war would mean to throw away the efforts that we have made during these years. - "That I have done" Thought Seungri. - Do you want them to know that we have acted behind the back of the Association and start chasing us like criminals? No, we won't do it like that, it will be Gahyeon who goes.

- B-but, father, she's not ready! - Seungri intervened with a worried tone.

- You're right, but we have no choice. No, since that other stupid woman that I used to call daughter, and her absurd conscience, turned her back on us. However, there is a method. It's unorthodox, but ... - He said with a disquieting smile plastered on his face, and he turned around and then began to rummage through one of the shelves of the display case that was behind him, facing his son after finding what he was looking for.

- Is that what I think it is? It will kill her!

- Well ... great results require great sacrifices, your sister's magic circuits are very weak, this will give her a little "help" until we achieve our goal. Besides, after all ... with just one member to extend our legacy, that's enough. - Said the genearch, without a single iota of remorse.

Seungri was not surprised at all by his father's actions and words. Something that had always characterized him was the lack of scruples. "Family legacy always comes first. We are sorcerers, not simple, useless humans." This had led his younger sister, Siyeon, to deny his lineage by being unable to bear the methods of the head of the family, and to end up betraying them.

By doing this, she had left the pure and innocent Gahyeon alone, too blind to understand that she lived surrounded by wolves waiting for the moment to devour her. And that moment was going to come very soon.