Two.

i love you but only because i'm under the influence of a love potion.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

two.

post-break up rage.

 

Jaebeom has been sour for the next few days and if his fellow Gryffindors know about it, they’re smart enough to keep it to themselves. Even Irene has been giving him space lately. The boy winces, remembering how Irene broke the messy fight between him and Jennie two days ago, threatening to transfigure them both into a mouse trap if they won’t shut up.

 

“You’d transfigure me? I’m your friend!” Jennie screamed when Irene threatened them after appearing from behind the Fat Lady's portrait with murder in her eyes.

 

“I am,” the Gryffindor prefect replied, looking at Jennie and Jaebeom. “But if you two won’t stop fighting and bothering the Fat Lady anytime soon I don’t care what sort of relationship we have, you’ll be a mouse trap and I’d dock 50 points from Slytherin and Gryffindor-”

 

“You can’t do that!” Jaebeom roared, but Irene’s glare shut him up almost immediately.

 

“As a matter of fact, I can, Jaebeom.” Irene says, massaging her temple. It’s almost unbelievable how she still managed to look intimidating even when she’s wearing her baby pink pajamas and bunny slippers. “Please, carry your fight elsewhere, students need their sleep.”

 

Jennie scoffed. “There’s no need. I’m done with this relationship anyway. I’m done being your punching bag, Jaebeom.” she said before turning back and leaving.

 

Jaebeom let out a sardonic laugh. “Wow, must’ve been so hard when you’re the one sacrificing so much for this relationship, huh, Jennie? Good luck finding someone who can cater to your need 24/7. Might as well find a house-elf!” he spat before storming off into the Gryffindor common room. He didn’t know if Jennie replied to his insult, because there’s this ringing in his ear that only seemed to disappear if he threw or slammed something to the ground.

 

Truthfully, Jaebeom doesn’t know if he feels sad about this breakup. He's yet to feel the wallowing sadness and loneliness one used to feel after their relationship has ended. Mostly, Jaebeom feels angry. He missed Jennie during their summer vacation but given that she's on a trip to France with her family, the girl hardly replied to his letters. But then, when the sixth year finally started and they met again, she turned sour. Sure, it was unfair of him for neglecting her and forgetting their dates, but Jennie, throughout the short span of time since the new term at Hogwarts has begun, has been anything but pleasant. It doesn't help that Jaebeom has more responsibilities this year, he has duty to his team and a NEWT exam coming soon. He cannot, and must not, fail any of them. All they do was fight, they fought so much that they set fire to places where love once grew.

 

“Cap, hey, cap.” a gentle nudge on his elbow tears Jaebeom off his reverie.

 

From his side, Park Chanyeol is smiling brightly, almost too bright for Jaebeom’s liking.

 

“What?”

 

Chanyeol exchanges glances with Dahyun, who nods at him encouragingly and somehow Jaebeom understands what the boy is trying to say.

 

“We were wondering,” Chanyeol starts, turning from his breakfast to face Jaebeom properly. “Since our practise got moved yesterday, would it be possible if we had the day off this Saturday?”

 

From the other side of the table, Ryujin snorts into her cup. “Bad idea.” the purple-haired girl whispered, which doesn’t go past Jaebeom.

 

He sighs and puts down his spoon and fork before looking at Chanyeol. “I can’t seem to connect the dot between our changed schedule to having a day off for Saturday.”

 

Although he’s so much taller than Jaebeom, Chanyeol visibly shrinks and Dahyun looks dejected. “Just a suggestion, Cap, I’m sorry. I’ll be present for Saturday practise.”

 

“Good. You better.” Jaebeom replies as he continues his breakfast and looks at his team. “I want you all to be present in the field at 6 o’clock in the morning. Whoever’s late would be punished. Let Jongin and Hwasa know about this, too.”

 

Jackson looks enraged, glaring at Chanyeol and Dahyun, who are avoiding his gaze. “Are you kidding me? 6 in the morning?” he whines, flailing his arms in exasperation as he tries, futilely, to change the captain’s mind. “Jaebeom, do you know how many homeworks we have to finish by Monday next week? A little sleep wouldn’t be so bad!”

 

“Oh? Should we start practising at 5 in the morning, then?”

 

From the bottom of the table, Jaebeom can hear Chanyeol kicking the seeker in the shin and Jackson visibly gulps. “I’m sorry, I’ll wake up at 5.30 and be on the pitch at 6.00 sharp on Saturday.”


 

*


 

Time seems to stretch while he was in class, so Jaebeom can’t be more thankful when it’s finally time for break. His feet take him to the middle courtyard, Jaebeom’s favorite place in Hogwart after Quidditch Pitch itself. When his feet finally touch the grasses and his eyes find that big tree where he always lazes under, Jaebeom’s mood improves significantly. He spots Mark, Jinyoung, and Youngjae already there. Beside him, Jackson is complaining about Transfiguration, something the boy never gets the hang of and every once in a while, Jaebeom would throw a "Hm," and "Yeah, that's true." to show that he's listening.

 

“Yah, Im Jaebeom,” a girl calls out from somewhere behind him and he finds Irene catching up to his steps. There's a particular look in her face that alerts him immediately. It's a look she usually uses when she's going to reprimand other students, or dock a point. “Hwasa was complaining to me about the Quidditch practise. Saturday at 6? You sure you’ll be able to wake up?”

 

This causes Jaebeom to roll his eyes. “She should’ve talked to me directly.”

 

“Yeah, but her schedule is pretty tight today. She will let you know later, though.” The dark haired girl shrugs. If there’s someone in the team who can make Jaebeom change his mind, it would be Hwasa, but even then, his stubbornness is hard enough to break a rock, so Hwasa would need luck by her side. “Is that why you look so glum today, Jackson?”

 

Hearing his name, Jackson quickly feigned a distressed look, signalling help to the girl. “Yes, I’m glum and gloomy and sad!”

 

“He’ll manage.” the Quidditch captain mutters nonchalantly with a shrug. "Won't you, Jackson?"

 

The boy shakes his head animatedly. "Absolutely not! Nope, nada. Irene, you have to help me on this!" Jackson pleads, grabbing the sleeves of Irene's robe.

 

The prefect chuckles, "See, Jaebeom? You're tormenting our seeker here."

 

"Don't baby him." Jaebeom replies curtly before looking at Jackson. "Stop begging or you'll have extra two hours for Saturday."

 

Immediately, Jackson straightens his back. "Oh! Look there, I think Jinyoung is calling me. Gotta go!" he splutters before quickly sprinting to where Jinyoung is. The confused look on the Slytherin boy's face, which changes to sardonic amusement, is a testament that Jackson simply lies to remove himself from the narrative. Jaebeom chuckles.

 

Irene gives him a look. “Don’t tire them out, Quidditch cup hasn’t even started yet. We’ve won the cup last year thanks to you, yes, but make sure you’re giving them rest when it’s needed.”

 

Jaebeom smiles, still watching how Jinyoung and Mark seem to torment Jackson even more because the latter is visibly and quite loudly, protesting about something. “Of course, Irene, I’ve been with them for years, now, I know them and I know as much as they complain about the practise schedule, they’d beat themselves up if we lose this year.”

 

Irene visibly softens before she lets out a sigh and pats him on the shoulder. “Yeah, well, don’t let your emotions cloud your judgment, too, alright? Don’t bring personal matters into the pitch.”

 

“Yah, what do you mean?” Jaebeom bristles, although he knows damn well Irene is talking about his breakup.

 

But the prefect purposely avoids his gaze and points at something ahead. “Oh! There’s Seulgi, she borrowed my favorite quill yesterday and hasn’t returned it to me, talk to you later, Jaebeom! Yah, Kang Seulgi!” she says innocently before quickly scurrying off.

 

Bitterly, Jaebeom watches as Irene approaches a group of girls across the middle court. He spots Joy, Yeri, Wendy, and Seulgi. A bright smile blooms on Seulgi’s lips when Irene approaches her. Jaebeom squints, noticing how Seulgi's long, wavy hair seem so much lighter when the sunlight hits. Huh, she dyed her hair brunette, he thinks. They quickly fall into a conversation, with Sehun, Kyungsoo, and Minseok joining them. Feeling pissed, Jaebeom walks ahead to join Jackson and the rest.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter