oo1

The Mermaid's Tale (NCT Jungwoo Fanfiction)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Here's to everybody who waited patiently for four months for the update TT.TT. Your efforts were all appreciated. 

 

Anyways, enjoy~

 

oo1

 

"At a full moon during a high tide, close your eyes and feel the sea breeze onto your face. You'll hear a mermaid's voice, after a while."

 

Jungwoo opened his eyes slowly, his lips forming a thin line. He shot his furry companion a plain look, who at the time, was busy panting, looking up at him. 

 

Of course mermaids don't exist.  

 

The guy placed his forefinger on his lips, shushing the white creature. 

 

"Shh, be quiet Bada." He chastised, and the dog whimpered as a response, resting his snout on the guy's lap. "I'm trying to concentrate." He added. 

 

When the dog named Bada finally seemed to have heed his instruction, Kim Jungwoo looked at the far end of the sea once more, studying the light from the moon illuminating the calm waves, the smell of the refreshing his mind. 

 

Once more he closed his lids.

 

Focusing.

 

And soon, the soft blowing of the sea breeze kissed his skin after a while until a soft humming from afar started reaching his ears. 

 

Jungwoo's brows furrowed a little, forcing his mind to focus more on the sound that seemed to be coming from the creatures of the sea. 

 

The humming becomes louder and louder, as if it was coming from his far left and his frown deepened in concentration.

 

The humming continues as it louden with each passing second...

 

Until continuous barks from Bada brought him back to reality. 

 

Kim Jungwoo sighed. Opening his eyes once more, he shot the dog a piercing glare only to frown again upon seeing it on his feet, barking at something on his back. 

 

Feeling chills sweeping through his spine, the twenty-year old college guy snapped his head behind him, scanning his surrounding whole the dog in front of him kept on barking.

 

He might not believe the existence of mermaids but he does believe that ghosts exist.

 

When he sees no one, the guy internally let out a relieved sigh, a hand on his chest. Realizing that Bada's still barking, Jungwoo faced back in front again to scold the dog. 

 

"Hey, be quiet. You're disturbing people!" He shushed but that didn't stop the animal from barking. If possible, Bada started barking louder. 

 

Finally, Jungwoo got up on his knees in hopes of scaring the animal. "Bada, sit." He ordered but it gave the dog the chance to run towards the direction of the huge boulder where he kept on shouting at. 

 

The guy rolled his eyes, swiftly lifting his hands in the air in irritation.

 

Great. Just Great. 

 

"And they call you a smart dog." He muses annoyed, before running after the dog. 

 

"Hey, Bada! Wait for me!" 

 

Jungwoo shouts, trying to catch the dog's attention. Luckily for him, Bada stopped running upon reaching the boulder but didn't stop barking. 

 

"Hey, hey! Be quiet!" The guy tries again as he jogged towards the place. Upon reaching the place, Jungwoo finally stopped, frozen on his place at the sight of someone coming out from behind the boulder. 

 

Crawling from behind the huge rock was a female around his age, wearing white dress and a bloodied left leg dipped in the waters of the sea. Her long locks were wet and sticking on her skin that Kim Jungwoo only think of one thing;

 

"Sadakooo!!!!" 

 

After that, his vision turned black. 

 

A few minutes after Jungwoo passed out, he was woken up by the sounds of Bada's whimpering and his ticklish . He adjusted his vision to the surrounding, opening and closing his eyes repeatedly, the sight of the starry sky the first thing he saw. 

 

Once realization hits, the guy bolted up from the sand, his eyes warily scanning his surroundings before stopping on the huge boulder where the horrific creature came from.

 

Unfortunately, the girl wasn't there anymore. He glanced at Bada nervously and as if the animal understood him, shifted his attention to his right. 

 

Jungwoo followed the dog's line of sight, and indeed, the girl from earlier was sitting a few meters away from them, smiling widely. 

 

He wanted to let out an ear-splitting scream if not only for the girl waving her hands frantically, as if begging him to not make any sounds. 

 

So, she wasn't a ghost?

 

He gulped. "You're not a ghost?" He looked at his fury companion before jumping to the girl's face in question of the events. 

 

"I'm not." She stated so softly that the wind had to carry it so he could hear her. 

 

"Then what are you?" He probed on. 

 

The female opened to tell him what she is but then remembered her experience the past few days, so she picked up the best option. 

 

Smiling kindly, she shook her head lightly as she looked down on her lap, her fingers  playing with one another. 

 

Jungwoo, realizing that he asked a ridiculous question, quickly shook his head, trying to knock some sense onto his self. 

 

Of course she would react that way! You just doubted her existence!

 

"Ah, yeah." He coughed awkwardly. "My bad, the impact of the crash must have rendered stupidity in my brain." He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. 

 

"I'm going!" He let out in a strangely high pitched tone, getting on his feet swiftly before reaching for Bada's leash. 

 

He started walking briskly, not even making effort to dust his pants off. The only thing that is on his mind right now is to escape from the embarrassing scene. 

 

Denzio eyed the disappearing guy from her place, before she looked at the scratches on her palm. She smiled sadly before shooting the guy a look once more. 

 

Just then, her eyes widened to the size of saucers.

 

He! 

 

He's who she's looking for!

 

"Hey!" She screamed, however her voice was hoarse since she hasn't gotten any drink from her escape earlier getting on her feet with difficulty. Consequently, she winced feeling the sharp pain on her leg prompting her to curl her body painfully, ragged breaths coming out of . 

 

No, I need to meet him!

 

Limping, the girl followed the guy's trail, his foot marks digging on the sand. With every step she ton, she could feel her legs weakening and her head spinning from too much pain. 

 

But, no, she's only a few steps away from him. 

 

If she endure, then she would be able to reach him. 

 

Just in time, The female clutched the back of his jacket, before she felt the effects of the pain start to kick in. In alarm, Jungwoo snapped his he'd backwards, his eyes widened to witness the pale girl from earlier gripping on his jacket until her knuckles turn white. 

 

She was breathing heavily and her eyes were hazy. It only took her a few seconds before she collapse forward. It was a good thing Jungwoo turned around swiftly to catch her unconscious body. 

 

"Hey, hey! Miss! Hey wake up!" 

 

He muses in panic, lightly tapping her pale cheeks to no avail. Gingerly, The twenty year old guy placed his finger under her nose and unconsciously heaved a sigh of relief at the conclusion that she's still breathing.

 

Slowly, Jungwoo lay the girl on the ground, getting her into position. Just as he was about to lift her bridal style, the guy noticed the bleeding wound on her leg and he grimaced. 

 

Must be the season why she passed out. Her wound looks so deep that he ended up wondering how she was able to walk on her own. 

 

Getting back to his senses, Jungwoo weighed the options at hand;

 

That is to bring the girl to the hospital that was a few kilometers away from his current location, tagging Bada along with him, in the danger of her losing a lot of blood.

 

Another is to bring the wounded girl on his aunt's house which is a few meters away from the beach, and asked her to make use of her medical knowledge into treating the girl, but...

 

With the misunderstanding that he was going out with this stranger. 

 

Jungwoo let out a long sigh of frustration, staring ahead before finally looking down at the passed o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter