Chapter 1

This Ends Here

„Scary, right?“
I silently nodded and stepped cautiously onto the creaking floor boards.
„M-maybe we should wait outside?“
I rolled my eyes in annoyance before turning to the shivering Intern and giving him a deadpan look. If our Department wouldn‘t be so chronically under staffed, I wouldn’t have taken an Intern, who just finished College and had started his Internship as a Profiler a few weeks ago to the job. I still wondered however how someone like him had made it this far.
„And how exactly are we supposed to do our job from outside?“ I snapped at him and saw him flinch.
He lowered his head so that his dark fringe fell into his face and shielded him from my annoyed gaze. How did I end up with the scaredy cat again? I sighed and tried to concentrate on the essential: The body. It was a young man, probably in his early twenties. His face was not recognisable and a few of his limbs were missing.
„How do you know it was him?“, the Intern whispered but he actually sounded interested and not just scared for a change.
I sighed again. „I just know, okay?! Now, be quiet and let me do my job so that we can get back to the office and start analysing this .“
Out of the corner of my eyes I saw him nodding and taking a few steps back, probably so he didn‘t have to look at the body. I couldn‘t wrap my head around the fact, that he graduated top of his class and was now here but I stopped thinking about Jung Hoseok, the useless Intern, with which they punished me and directed my attention back to work.

„Hey, Yoongi! Heard yours killed someone again. How many does that make this month?“ Kim Seokjin shouted as I walked into the office followed by a pale Hoseok.
I just waved him off and practically sprinted into my office. I was pissed that I still couldn‘t crack this case and every new discovered body just gave me more questions than answers.
„Chief...ahm, would you like a cup of coffee?“ Hoseok asked quietly and avoided my gaze.
I nodded tiered. Maybe the boy wasn‘t so useless after all.
„Please… but stop calling me that, Hoseok I am not anyone’s Chief.“
„A-alright, Chief! I-I mean, Sir! Ahm...Mr. Min“, he muttered, before he quickly left the room with a red face. I shook my head with a smile on my face and started with the analysis. As always, nothing seemed to make any sense! Neither the gender, nor the age or the victim‘s occupation made any connection to the other cases. There were no clues why this serial killer ,which I‘ve been chasing for months now, killed. There was no pattern, at least none I could identify. That‘s why we called him Hollan. He killed just because… but why ? And how could we find him?
„Mr. Min… your coffee“, Hoseok mumbled suddenly and I looked up.
With nervous hands he placed a mug onto my desk and I gave him a grateful smile. Surprised he held the files, that he just picked up from my desk over his rapidly reddening face, so that I could just see his wide eyes behind his round glasses. I almost laughed at the sight.
„Am I that intimidating?“ I asked smirking.
He was quick to shake his head. „Of course not! I...I was just surprised.“
„Tell me, Hoseok… why exactly are you doing this Internship? I‘ve been wondering all this time, how someone with nerves as faint as you has made it into the special unit. Were you tricked into it or did you apply here yourself?“
His gaze avoided mine again. I almost thought, he wasn‘t going to answer me but to my surprise he cleared his throat after a few seconds of silence.
„I applied myself“, he mumbled. „The whole reason I studied Forensic Psychology was this department.“
I let out an incredulous laugh. „Really? You can‘t even see pictures of blood and every crime scene we went to so far only made you gag and shiver in fear. The only good thing you made until now is this coffee.“
I expected him to burst into tears after my rant but all he did was to pout which made me really laugh this time.
„That was really mean, you know?“, he said. „But you‘re right… maybe I only have talent for coffee making.“
I chuckled amused. „You‘re right, sorry. I didn‘t mean to be this much of an but I am still a little sceptic about you.“
He snorted upset and threw the files back onto my desk. „I promise you to get better at my job! You will see!“
I laughed at his enthusiasm.

A few months later I was standing with a big grin in the first row and applauded loudly as the name Jung Hoseok was called. He stepped on the stage wearing a serious expression and bowed to our superior, before he took the certificate which stated his Promotion into his hands and went back in line to the other waiting former interns. Who would have thought I would live to see this day… Jung Hoseok was now officially no longer an intern and I had to admit, that I was proud of the clumsy boy who still had trouble visiting crime scenes. His analytic abilities however where outstanding and he did try hard at work. I wasn‘t opposed to welcome someone like him into our team.
„You look like a proud wife“ Seokjin whispered,
„Really? I thought as his mentor I had the look of a proud dad.“
„Well… yes but because your aren‘t that far apart in age I happily take the dad role. You can be the wife… pink would suit you so well.“
I opened my mouth for a rude comeback but was interrupted by the dissolving crowd.
„Mr. Min!“ Hoseok shouted and came to a sliding halt in front of me.
„I‘m proud that you didn‘t fell of the stage.“ I said and ruffled his dark hair.
He grimaced at my words and swatted my hand away. „No touching! That‘s only for nice people.“
I laughed at him ans Seokjin saw his chance to wrap an arm around the youngest shoulders.
„Hoseok, don‘t you think pink would suit Yoongi really well?“, he asked with a big grin and I punched his side.
Hoseok smiled and looked me carefully but seriously up and down. „No, pink is such a boring colour… red would suit him much better.“
Seokjin cackled and I stared at the former Intern in surprise. The look on his face was dreamy and for a moment I had a weird feeling in my stomach. It was the same feeling between fear and euphoria I got every time I entered a crime scene. With wide eyes I looked at Hoseok and for the first time I noticed, that he was a few inches taller than me. For a few seconds none of us said anything until Seokjin cleared his throat and I blinked repeatedly.
„Okay...whatever this thing between you two is, it has to wait until after the party. I heard the big boss is paying for the food today and I sure as hell won‘t miss even a bite of that!“
„No one asked you to wait“I said under my breath but turned at the same time to follow the stream of people.

I sighed and drowsy dropped my head on my desk. I just didn‘t make any progress with this case. The first body we could verify to be Hollan‘s doing was found months ago and we still had nothing. You couldn‘t miss the evident traces of a fight on the crime scenes. The victims had tried to fight back and it seemed like they didn‘t knew the killer but we still couldn‘t find any traces of skin under the victims fingernails or even a hair or any other kind of DNA. Nothing. The only thing that every crime scene had in common was the chaos that the killer left behind both on the body and the crime scene, nothing was at it‘s rightful place. I knew, that he picked his victims on a whim and he most certainly was raised in town… but that was the only thing I could come up with.
„You look tired.“
I flinched and raised my head. Jung Hoseok was standing in the door frame to my office with a cup of coffee in his hands and was smiling at my surprised face.
„I was just thinking about stuff.“ I said, which only made him giggle.
„Of course, with closed eyes…. But seriously you should rest properly. You‘ve been in here for weeks. When was the last time you slept more than for hours?“he asked in a reproachful tone.
I smiled and took the mug he was giving to me.
„To be honest, I don‘t know. But Hollan is still out there and I just can‘t wrap my finger around him! Not to brag or anything but this never happened before. It just doesn’t make any sense.“
I saw almost something like disappointment flash over Hoseok‘s face but it disappeared just as fast.
„You won‘t make any progress, if you keep working without resting!“
„Did Seokjin make you my watchdog?“ I asked in amusement.
He shook his head. „I… just seem to like you...“
I cocked my head in amazement. „Why? We did start off on the wrong foot.“
His gaze was set on the paper tower on my desk an a faint smile lay on his lips. „Really? As I see it, you thought me a lot as I started as a Intern and because of you I never was bored.“
I was nice to know that he wasn‘t hurt because of my initial disinterest. I wasn‘t quite sure, why exactly I was glad about that… no, that was a lie. I knew exactly why was glad and the reason let me heave a tense sigh. Hoseok looked up from the paper tower with a question in his eyes.
„You all right? Am I...disturbing you in any way?“
„To be honest...yes.“ I said and the disappointment in his face made me grimace slightly.
„Oh...I‘m sorry. I didn‘t know that you wee this occupied… I probably should go.“, he stammered and his heel.
„Hoseok!“ I called after him.
He stopped and turned slightly in my direction. I raised the coffee cup. „Thanks.“
He smiled. „No problem, Chief.“