Chapter 2

This Ends Here

Strange behavior patterns in the Hollan case led me to take questionable action less than a year after finding his first victim. The very fact that Hollan did start to have a pattern left me more confused than ever. So it came about that I requested a meeting with Park Jimin. I entered the interrogation room with eyes tired from reading the many files and was greeted by a friendly smiling boy.
"Park Jimin", I greeted him and sat down in the chair opposite him.
"Mr. Min, how do I deserve this rare honor?” His words were mocking, but his tone was friendly.
The orange of the convict's uniform and his neat black hair made his narrow face pale and his clever eyes almost black. I sighed and put some files on the table in front of me before I started rummaging through them.
Finally I pulled out three crime scene pictures of the first victims of Hollan and placed them in front of him. He looked briefly at the pictures in front of him with interest.
"Tell me what this is about or should I guess?" He asked, amused.
"Guess what, try to surprise me," I replied, leaning back in my chair.
His eyes slid from one picture to the other and I waited patiently.
"That looks a lot like a mess to me," he said finally.
I lifted the corners of my mouth a little. "Right. Very different from what you and your gang of murderers do. "
"Please, speak comfortably...”, he scoffed. “So you want information about this psychopath from me."
"So you know ... do you know who this is?" I asked hopefully. He nodded.
"I think in circles he is called 'Hollan'."
"And?" I poked on.
“Nothing 'and', that's it. I can't tell you any more”,he protested.
I snorted in disbelief and leaned over to him. “You can't tell me that, Park Jimin! Whatever Hollan has to do with your community, I'll find out. "
He raised his eyebrows, unimpressed. “That would be news to me. As far as I know, Hollan does not share the same views as this group that you are so happy to attribute me to. "
Annoyed, I got up and went over to the surveillance system. With practiced hands, I pulled some cables from the camera and the intercom and looked for further surveillance measures.
"Well, this conversation is only between the two of us now," I assured Park Jimin as I sat down with him again. "Nothing is recorded and nobody can see or hear us."
"And what did you do that for?" Jimin asked, bored.
“So you didn't have to play games. We both know that you belong to the group called 'Karma' who have been killing people for years who, in their eyes, deserve to die.” I snapped.
"Too bad I'm imprisoned for alleged assault," Jimin replied, looking into my eyes.
He wasn't afraid and his self-confidence was not an act. I laughed darkly.
"We both also know that you are being held accountable for something that you didn't do," I admitted. "You don't hurt people ... you just kill them."
"Then tell me, Min Yoongi," he began slowly and leaned over the table to me. "What do I get if I help you with this case?"
I made a face. "Perhaps a reduction in sentence could be negotiated."
"Reduced sentence?" His mouth twisted into a grin in disbelief. "I don't think that's enough for me."
"Too bad, you won't get anything else from me."
He looked thoughtfully at his hands and fell back against the back of the chair.
"You're in luck ... I can't stand this guy, this 'Hollan'. Maybe I'll help you a little ... "
"A little?"
"Well, I've been wrongly held here for a while and this whole Hollan theater only started a little over a year ago, so I can't tell you much," he explained.
His voice had taken on a bored tone again and I would have loved to reach across the table that parted us and grabbed his collar to shake him, but I held back.
Even after all these years at work, I still found it difficult to talk to crazy people as if they weren't.
“I might have seen this guy once before I got here. He had been recruited and I can assure you that I knew immediately that he did not share the same opinion as we did.” Park Jimin spat scornfully. He really didn't seem to think much of Hollan. “He was one of the younger members and I have no idea how or where they met him. I never heard his name either, the guy is clever ... he will have given us a wrong one. Anyway, it didn't take long before he screwed up ... he just didn't fit in with 'Karma', he didn't care about our beliefs or opinions. The way it looks to me, you shouldn't be the only one after him. "
"Are you talking about your friends?" I asked scornfully.
Park Jimin smiled calmly at me and shrugged his shoulders. "Look, you can think what you want of me, but the positive undertone of society clearly speaks for what 'karma' does."
"And that would be? Killing people and pretending to be justified? Play God? "
"No!" He said in a firm voice. “Fixing what you screw up! How is your great legal system going, with all the corrupt cops, judges and juries? People who have money always get through somehow and people who are smarter than you do too. Nobody deserves death for one or two small crime, but there are people who deserve it and they are surprisingly rarely caught by you."
I raised an eyebrow. “In my opinion, you're just trying to play god. You are circumventing laws and rules without which a society cannot function! "
Park Jimin had his calm smile on his face again. "If you say that, Mr. Min. As it stands, you probably won't have to deal with Hollan much longer ... we will fix what you can't...again.”
I snorted and threw three more crime scene pictures in front of his nose. "I don’t think so. The real reason I'm here is because I am convinced that Hollan has recently joined forces with 'Karma'. "
He pulled the photos up to him and his face showed confusion.
"These are three of his last victims. All three were wanted felons. Hollan has never made any sense before, it seemed like he chose his victims according to his mood of the day, there was never a tiny connection until he started doing it a few weeks ago to act entirely in the spirit of 'karma'. So, Park Jimin, now tell me what this is all about. "
"I don't know," he muttered, still absorbed in the pictures. “It cannot be that he is operating under 'karma' again. No one there would simply let his past offenses go unpunished. No matter what he's up to, it can't have anything to do with 'karma'."
I slapped the table with the palm of my hand furiously. "You were the one who told me a few minutes ago that Hollan and 'Karma' worked together!"
"I don't know what this is about!" He called and threw the six crime scene pictures back at me. "But you can believe me ... the guy is crazier and smarter than anyone I know."

I was about to leave my office to go to lunch with Seokjin, which I was ten minutes late for when my office door was almost slammed in my face.
"Mr. Mi- oh, there you are, sorry! Did I hurt you? ", Hoseok asked worried and took my face in his hands to examine it for injuries.
Annoyed, I waved my hand at him. “No no, everything is fine, Hoseok. What is it? "
"I heard you had a conversation with Park Jimin this morning!" He shouted in panic.
I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Yes and?"
"Are you crazy?! HE is crazy! He and his thug-killer friends! What if he has you on his list now? "
Hoseok spoke so fast that his words became blurred and I had to smile at his concern. It had been a long time since anyone worried about me.
"Don't worry, we just talked a little," I reassured him.
"Without a guard in the room ?!" he yelled in disbelief. "And without any safety precautions?"
"Maybe this will be a surprise for you, but: I’m a grown up and even learned this job," I said, amused, and took my coat off the rake next to the door.
"Mr. Min! Do you take my concern seriously?” Hoseok called outraged and crossed his arms over his chest.
I would have loved to pinch his puffed cheeks, but let it go and instead just gave him a brief, friendly look.
"Okay, I've had enough of it!" He said suddenly and sat down on a chair near the door. “You keep overworking yourself, even though I tell you how important sleep is and you keep doing things that are way too dangerous! From now on I'm your partner again, that means half the work for you and double the work for me! "
I almost laughed. "That's really nice of you Hoseok, but I don't think you can just decide that."
"The boss likes me pretty much, so I don't know why he would be against it as long as I keep the workload", he replied defiantly and looked up at me.
I took a step towards him and grinned. "But what do you do with all the crime scenes I go on?"
He swallowed. "I-it's not like ... l-like you visit a crime scene every day. I'll manage the rest."
This time I really laughed and put my hand on his head. It was cute how he was still worried after all the months he'd known me. For quite a while, he just looked at me and I did the same. It suddenly occurred to me that Seokjin had mentioned that Hoseok wasn't much younger than myself.
"Hoseok, how old are you?" I asked and my voice was almost a whisper.
"Twenty-six," he muttered. "Only a year younger than you."
I nodded absently and studied his young face. For the first time it struck me that he was quite handsome. Not in that obvious way that immediately jumped in your face and annoyed you at first glance, as was the case with Seokjin, but in a more inconspicuous and gentler way that I preferred. You had to look at him to really see his beauty.
"Then why don't you call me 'Hyung'?" I suggested quietly.
"Should I?" He asked with wide eyes. I nodded.
He seemed pleased and gave me a big smile that also made me raise the corners of my mouth.
"I'm already late for my lunch meeting with Seokjin, do you want to come with me?" I asked, slowly sliding my hand from his head, brushing his face.
"Are you sure I’m not bothering you?" He asked uncertainly and looked to the side.
"I wouldn't ask you if that were the case, would I?"
He nodded and tried to hide the grin that had appeared on his face at my words. I gave him a slight clap on the head and turned to the door.
"Come on then!"
"Right behind you, Hyung!" He called.