Chapter II

Dear Nana, I N-CITY #3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Like water in the desert
Impossible to find
But you found me when I was broken
Put me back together, gave me life
 

Like a flower in the concrete
So beautiful and rare
You gave me hope when I was empty
Walked me through the fire, you were there

I walked to the orientation room, my heart beating in my chest. There were more than a hundred students, all of them from different departments. However, we were divided to sit by faculty and my heart raced as I tried to keep my calm. The problem with being an overthinker is that whenever I socialized, I felt like they were judging me. I chewed on my bottom lip, walking up the steps slowly when I heard my name being called.

Swirling around to the source of the sound, I saw that Park Jisung was waving at me from one of the seats. There was a male beside him and he beamed at me when I saw him. Park Jisung was one of the well-known kids from my school because of how friendly he is with everyone. I waved to him awkwardly and he motioned me over so I made my way to him.

“You should sit with me!” he said to me, patting the seat beside him. I was from the same high school with Park Jisung and it felt good to see a familiar face. “This is my friend, Chenle. He’s in cultural studies.”

Jisung introduced me to a blond-haired guy who looked done with the world and I gave him a small smile, lowering my head politely. Chenle mirrored my actions before sitting back and I asked why he would be sitting with the Advertising and Broadcasting department if he was in cultural studies; Jisung whispering that Chenle didn’t like anyone in his faculty.

“He’s also Chinese so he asked to sit with me. We’ve known each other since before but he studied in a different high school. We have a ship name! It’s JiChen. I’m best friends with him.” Jisung said, beaming and I blinked.

“Chenji.” Chenle corrected, folding his arms. Jisung made a face and I saw that the orientation was about to begin.

First, there was a welcome speech from the Director of SM University. Director Lee Sooman stood there droning in an elaborate speech on how important education is.

Next, the seniors of each after-school club had to come to introduce their club. I saw the pink-haired guy come in and I may have been thinking too much, but I could have sworn his eyes lingered on me. His brown-haired friend was beside him but they were wearing different shirts. A few more people came onto the stage when the first club was presented to us.

“Hello, freshmen. My name is Kim Doyoung and I am the President of the Debate team—”

“OPPA!” A scream sounded from the side and I saw Kim Doyoung look over to the voice just to turn pink. “That’s my brother!”

“Uh…” Kim Doyoung was flustered. “So… What I was about to say was… Join the Debate team. Here, we enjoy those who are knowledgeable. It also looks very good on your resume. Next, I would pass the baton to the Track and Field team- Lee Jeno?”

“MY BOYFRIEND!” the same girl hollered from the side and I saw that it was the brown-haired male I saw on the bench before. He smiled at the girl and I could see he adored her, Lee Jeno speaking into the microphone. “LEE JENO!”

“Yes, yes. Okay, so… I’m the Head of the Track and Field team. For those who are interested in sports, our club is for those who like running and those who have a little too much extra energy like my girlfriend over there.”

Okay, that was pretty cute. I watched as Jeno motioned to the female and it was obvious that everyone knew of them, a few girls whispering how envious they were of her. The girl winked at him, making kissy faces at him; Jeno continuing his speech.

“Anyway, the first meeting is tomorrow after class so if you decide to join, just show up,” he said it very professionally. A few girls swooned and I heard his girlfriend speak up almost possessively.

“Shut up, he’s my boyfriend!”  

“Jeno hyung’s girlfriend is so scary.” I heard Jisung say from beside me and I wondered how he knew all of them. “She’s also the Kim Doyoung’s sister so everyone knows her.”

“Everyone knows you too,” I said to Jisung who blushed. “How, exactly, do you know all of them?”

“My Noona dated the Jung Jaehyun. That guy. That’s why I know everyone. They’re all friends.” Jisung pointed at one man who was standing at the side. He had an angelic face, his dimples so deep most girls would fall for him. He looked like he was an idol instead of a student. I made a mental note to tell Nana about the people I heard of today.

But the Jung Jaehyun? The Kim Doyoung? I really was clueless. I had no idea who these people were.  

“But he broke up with her when she went to New York and she was pretty sad. But they dated for two years, junior to senior year of high school and—Oh. Sorry, I’m rambling, aren’t I? I just really miss my Noona. She’s coming back soon and I really hope—”

“I’m Jung Jaehyun.” Jung Jaehyun’s voice cut through the room before there was a definite pause. “I am the Head of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship club. Here, we discuss means and ways to handle a business as well as take part in competitions that are held throughout Korea. SM University is known to have a good reputation when it comes to our business department so please, if anyone wants to contribute to that and create value for our University, sign up and the first meeting is tomorrow after class as the rest of the clubs.”

Jung Jaehyun had a calm demeanor about him, and the way he dressed made it seem like he was already a CEO and not a business student. I saw fliers being passed to each seat and Jung Jaehyun stepped down when the lights in the area dimmed. Everyone looked around in surprise, wondering what was happening when suddenly colored lights popped up.

“Hello and welcome students!” A loud voice sang and I saw the pink-haired guy from before walk towards the stage with a little hop. “What a good day to see new faces. I am the Head of the Photography club and we have a little song to present to you today!”

And just as he said, people from the photography began to climb up the stairs, the male leading them. They broke into a small dance that made all the freshmen laugh at how jolly the Photography club was.

“Ah, Na Jaemin Hyung. Always so creative.” I heard him whisper, my eyes going to the pinked haired male that now had a name.

Na Jaemin.

He was dancing beside our table, microphone in hand when the music stopped and he began to MC.

“Okay! So that is that for our little show. Our Photography club is for people who have the artistic ability. We want to, want to… capture the feeling of the moment in pictures. We want pictures where when we see it, we go- Wow. y! And that’s not all! Photography club are for people who want to be family. We love, we give love and that is why Photography Club is a community where there is no negativity. First meeting tomorrow, my young little chicks.”

Na Jaemin spoke so fast and so eloquently, emphasizing certain words; there was a charm to him.

“Now let’s give out the fliers! Let’s go! Renjun, fliers!”

“Excuse me, Jaemin-ssi. I’m in the Arts Club.” A male said and laughter erupted through the hall. Jaemin placed his hands on his hips as if he was feigning anger at Renjun. They seemed like close friends that would always banter. “I’m joking. The Arts Club designed the posters for the Photography Club so here it is everyone!”

“Thank you, Renjun,” Jaemin said, taking the fliers and Renjun waved a hand.

“And that is why Arts Club is so much better than Photography, so join Arts Club!” the male called out and Jaemin whipped around to stare at Renjun.

“What??” he asked almost hilariously.

I chuckled. He was a character indeed.

I saw people of the photography club hand out the fliers, Na Jaemin walking down our row. He came closer and I diverted my gaze from him when the male finally put a poster down on the table and slid it slowly to me. I heard Jisung call him from beside me.

“Jaemin Hyung!” Jisung whispered and I looked up in time to see Jaemin wink at Jisung just to tell him to join Photography Club. He looked down at me and for a moment, our eyes connected and he flashed me a smile, turning around to give out more posters to other people.

I looked down at the poster, my hand tightening around my phone.

Nana would love to hear about this.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Nana,

I just finished orientation and I’ll walk around SM University for a bit. I have so much to tell you. People here are much friendlier than I thought. Park Jisung is also here, remember him? There are so many clubs to join but I wonder if I should just lay low until I graduate. Debate, Arts, Photography, Business… Remember t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter