Chapter III

Dear Nana, I N-CITY #3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Na Jaemin kept his eyes on me and for someone who always diverted my eyes, I found it hard to look away. His smile was kind and reassuring, the male standing up to remove the apron from his body, waiting for me to speak.

“I w-wanted to ask if there is a spot because I-I saw the poster and I—”

“Of course!” Jaemin took my stuttering well, clapping his hands together. “When can you start? I’ll have to train you for a few days and after that, you can tell me if it’s up to your liking. We pay a little above minimum wage here and university students give a lot of tips,” he said to me and I nodded.

“Yes, Sunbae. I can start after class today,” I told him and he grinned, agreeing to it. I excused myself because I had class and he called after me.

“Hey, Yahoo—Bless me, achoo!” He sneezed and I blinked. He must be catching a cold. “Don’t forget that you need to return the camera before class today to the vision room. Our next meet is next week and you can borrow another camera then.”

“Yes, Sunbae,” I replied, walking out the door before looking back to see him waving at me. I gave him a small bow, turning to run to class with my phone in my hands.

I couldn’t wait to tell Nana.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was lunchtime and I had a free period so I wandered around SM University. Every place was packed and I made my way to the library, the smell of printed pages making me smile. I ran my fingers over the books when I decided to find a place to sit, my eyes skating over the area to see that most tables were full.

One table was free, but it was by the window and the sunlight shone through the glass. But it was better than nothing so I made my way to it, squinting as the yellow light made it hard to see. Bringing the phone screen to my face, I began to type an email to Nana to tell her about my day.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Nana,

I have good news! I am going to train in the coffee shop today. I have a good feeling about this! Jaemin sunbae is so nice. Is it normal for people to be this nice? I’m now in the library and SM University library smells like old books, I love it. I may take a nap. Though it’s a bit hot in here because the only unoccupied table is by the window.

I hope your day is going well, Nana. I really think I have a magical tongue sometimes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I sent the email, my eyes getting heavy right when I slowly lay my head down on the table. I hugged my backpack and used it as a pillow, the sunlight on my face as the bustling sound of people talking and pages turning lulled me to momentary sleep.

I closed my eyes for a while, in and out of sleep when a shadow fell over me and I stirred.

A figure moved, blocking the sunlight but I couldn’t see who it was. My eyes fluttered open and I saw the hazy face of Na Jaemin, a book in hand as he sat by the window. I was sleeping in his shadow, his body a shield in keeping the sunlight away but it was hard to stay awake and my eyes went back to closing.

Maybe it was just a dream.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I woke up when the bell rang and stretched. The sun had moved away and I remembered dreaming of Jaemin Sunbae. Reaching up to press a hand on my forehead, I wondered if it was because he was basically everywhere I went these days. I dragged my eyes to the window sill, tilting my head when a saw a book placed by the windowsill.

Weird.

That wasn’t there before.

Glancing at my phone screen, I saw that I was five minutes late for class so I bolted. I sat in class as per usual, Jisung beside me while he chattered with almost everyone. It was boring but then every basic subject was and we were learning about the five ways to market a product. I opened my phone to see that there was an unread email from Nana.

I smiled, opening up the email.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Yahoo,

I’m glad it all worked out. I keep reminding you to be a bit more confident in yourself.

Maybe Na Jaemin is nice to you because you are one of a kind and you deserve it. My day is going well. I did a good deed today so I’m feeling good.

I wish you good luck with your training, Yahoo. You will do great.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I tilted my head at the email. Because I’m one of a kind and I deserve it? Nana. Always the one who knows what to say. I smiled, pocketing my phone when Jisung nudged me. I turned to him to see him beaming at me, asking me if I was dating anyone.

“N-No. I don’t know how to—”

“Lies! Everyone has to date in university!” Jisung said to me and I shook my head, turning red at the idea. “I don’t think I can, though. My Noona says that if I date, she’ll scare the girls away.”

Jisung frowned, talking to himself. Jisung’s older sister did sound like someone who would be very overprotective of her brother. I sighed, focusing on the lecture when it finally ended after an hour.

I had to go to the Vision room to return the camera and Jisung said he’d bring me there. The Vision room was where all the photos were developed and I followed Jisung down the hall. I wasn’t using a film camera and the only person I noticed who used a film camera was Na Jaemin. We reached the room and Jisung told me that he had somewhere to run to so I told him that it was okay and that I could return the camera on my own.

Jisung gave me a wave and I smiled at him, opening the door to step into the room to see that it was filled with pictures. I saw a male by the table and he looked up before speaking.

“Oh, it’s you,” he said with familiarity as if we met before but I had no idea who he was.

It’s me?

“I’m Yangyang. You must be a freshman,” he said, placing all the photos in a stack. “Welcome to the WayV room. Are you here to develop your photos?”

“Oh… No. I’m here to return the camera.” I told him and he nodded so I took out the camera from my bag. The DSLR was heavy and I placed it on the table carefully when my eyes caught sight of the photos on the table. Looking closely, I saw that there were three photos of me taking photos of one of the flowers from the photography first meet.

Yangyang must have seen me looking at the photos, a smile traveling up his face.

“You dating Na Jaemin?” He asked it so casually, my eyes widened at the question. I quickly shook my head, Yangyang shrugging. “Well then. Jaemin only takes photos of pretty things. I guess he finds you pretty. One time, it was all photos of Jeno.”

“I see,” I mumbled.

“He never takes photos of himself though. I think you’re the first girl I have seen on his camera film.” Yangyang told me, watching me carefully.

I didn’t know how to react, remaining silent when Yangyang told me that he already checked in the camera.

“Come back when you want to borrow it again, yeah?” he said, flippantly and I nodded, bowing to him and exiting the room to head to the café. I didn’t know what to make of it. Jaemin Sunbae was like a ghost, a presence I kept on seeing. There was something familiar about him and the way he acted but I couldn’t pinpoint it.

I entered the café to see Jaemin talking to a girl. Jeno was there too, a hand on the back of the girl’s neck as she hopped on the same spot. Approaching the counter and greeting them, I saw that it was Jeno and his girlfriend—the female looking at me from head to toe.

“We’re off then,” Jeno said to Jaemin who nodded, an a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter