summer

for whatever it's worth

Minji knows better than to believe in rumours. But she also knows the sick and disgusting yearly reveal of a dating scandal on the first day of January.

She knows Bora can't be cheating on her. No, they love each other too much for this relationship to end with either one of them cheats on the other.

But the blurry CCTV image of Bora getting into Jaehyung's car burns into her mind.

Bora not answering her phone makes it even worse for Minji.

 

No, Bora can't be cheating on her... right?

 

Every time she thinks about it she breaks down in tears.

At this rate, she can't make it to her premiere tonight. Her eyes are too swollen. Her make up artist would ask. People would be suspicious.

She calls her manager.

"Yubin, I don't think I can go to the premiere..."

Minji hears Yubin sigh at the end of the line, "Minji... don't do this. You're the main character. You need to be there."

"I can't. I've been crying. My eyes are all swollen up. Bora's not picking up her phone. I don't-" she sobs and takes a deep breath, "I don't want to do this."

"Hold on, I'm coming."

Minji lets her phone drop to the floor as soon as Yubin ends the call.

So many thoughts running through her mind as she lies down on the sofa, just staring at the ceiling above her.

Maybe it is her fault. Maybe she should've just revealed their relationship. Maybe then Bora wouldn't go to someone else. I mean, who could stand loving in secret for years?

She feels suffocated too. Having to hide who she's texting with whenever she's around the staff. She's pretty sure people around her know she's in a relationship, they just didn't know with whom.

She and Bora made a lot of sacrifices to be together.

Bora even bought another unit in her building just so that people wouldn't be suspicious of Bora spending too much time in Minji's apartment.

She wishes they don't have to live like this too.

Minji decides to give Bora the benefit of the doubt. Besides, their relationship was built on trust, though there were moments of frustration and insecurity, but they worked through that.

She should trust Bora.

She shouldn't think of Bora like that. She trusts Bora. Bora wouldn't do this to her. To them.

A ding comes from her phone, notifying a new text message.

A text from Bora's manager.

[Siyeon: Babe, it's me. I can't use my phone, it's blowing up right now. Just know that the news isn't true. Trust me okay? Please trust me. I'll explain to you later. I need to go back to the meeting. I love you.]

Yeah, I should trust Bora.

---------------

When Yubin arrives at Minji's apartment, the first thing that comes out from is, "Wow, you look like ."

Minji rolls her eyes at Yubin, "Thanks Yubin, I know."

Yubin mumbles out a small sorry before asking Minji, "Do you know what actually happened? Did she call you yet?"

Being one of the few people who know about Minji and Bora's relationship, Yubin tries to comfort her. Minji takes out her phone and shows Yubin the text she received from Bora.

"At least you know it's not true. You trust her, right? I bet there must be something going on in their company." Yubin tries to reason with her, and Minji just shrugs at Yubin. "So... you can go tonight?"

"Yeah, I think I'll be okay. But what about this?" she points at her puffy face.

"Don't worry, I'll deal with it. If anyone asks, I'll make something up, okay?" Yubin reassures her. "I'll take care of it."

Despite being younger than her, Yubin sometimes feels like an older sister to her. Not only because she gives wise advice, but the way she takes good care of her really makes her grateful to have someone as dependable as Yubin in her life.

And if Yubin said she would take care of it, she will.

---------------

Minji arrives at the movie premiere wearing a red leather jacket that matches with her deep-red tinted pair of glasses, which the glasses thankfully hides her swollen eyes. She greets her other co-stars and walks together to the centre stage for the photo session.

After the photo session ends, she gets pulled aside by one of the reporters for a red carpet interview. Minji delightfully answers his question about the movie, her character, her plans for the new year.

Every question is answered with a smile on her face. That was until he asks,

"Alright, I bet everyone knows the news about your best friend this morning. I'm curious, do you approve of her relationship with Jaehyung? You must've known about it earlier than us!"

He then laughs. As if it is a joke. As if someone else's private life is a joke. As if he is entitled to know. He laughs while asking that.

Trying so hard not to knock his face off, Minji clenches her palm tightly at her side, nails digging into her skin. She gives him a tight-lipped smile before answering, "Well, first, it is her relationship. She doesn't need my approval. It's none of my business..." She holds her gaze to him,

"Or yours." she spits out.

Minji "accidentally" knocks the reporter’s camera down as she walks away. Yubin quickly apologizes to the reporter. Minji (or him) is lucky that Yubin is there to take her away. Otherwise, she probably will do something that will not end well for both of them.

She saw the offended face he made when she left. He is probably going to have a field day writing about it. Whatever. They can twist her words all they want. At least she made her point.

"God, I need a drink," she whispers to Yubin later.

"Be a good girl, and I’ll bring you one tonight."

Minji sits through her movie silently wishing the night would end soon.