cruel

for whatever it's worth

I don't want to keep secrets just to keep you - Cruel Summer

OCTOBER 2020

Camera flashes. Red carpet. Photographers shouting celebrities’ names.

A typical scene you will see at year-end drama awards.

A sight that is all too familiar for Minji.

She walks down the red carpet as she links her arm with her co-star, in all her elegance.

“Kim Minji, Kang Hojun, look over here! On your right!”

Minji does as she is told and puts on her best smile for the cameras.

The camera captures her beauty perfectly. She looks stunning with her jet black hair that falls just below her shoulder. The combination of her yellow off-shoulder dress and her pale white skin catches the attention of anyone who looks at her direction.

After being in the industry for 10 years, her stride exudes the professionalism of an award-winning actress that you simply can't ignore.

Right after the photo session, a couple of interviewers wait for them at the end of the red carpet.

"Kim Minji, Kang Hojun, congratulations on your nomination for the Best Couple Award!" Minji replies with a polite thank you, "Minji, how does it feel to be nominated in the Best Actress Award for the third time?"

"It's definitely an honour. I'm very grateful for being nominated with other talented actresses. Whatever the result is, I'm just going to enjoy the night, and hope for the best." Minji flashes her smile.

"The chemistry that you guys showed in Through the Garden Gate was out of the world. The viewers even speculated that you guys are actually dating! What do you think about that?"

Kang Hojun bursts into laughter before answering the question, "We talked about this before, and we are very thankful that the viewers love our chemistry. For now, Minji and I are just co-workers. But who knows what would happen in the future, I mean, look at her. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea."

His straightforward answer leaves the interviewers' mouth open.

"Minji, what do you say about that?" they ask, very eager to hear Minji's response.

Minji chuckles before answering, "No comment. We'll see..." she winks to the camera.

Her answer was met with a series of squealing from the two ladies. Very much happy that they made one of the biggest scoops of the night.

"Okay, last question before we're letting you go. Your best friend, SuA is performing tonight. Did she tell you what she's going to do tonight? Can you give us a little spoiler?"

Minji's face lights up as soon as she hears the name, "To be honest, she didn't tell me anything! But knowing her, I'm pretty sure she's going to do something extraordinary tonight. Like she always does," she finishes their interview with a smile before being ushered inside the hall.

The hall is already filled with actors and celebrities are nominated tonight. As the nominee of one of the main awards, Minji is seated in the front row, together with her co-star. The ceremony begins with the appearance of the MCs for the night.

It is halfway through the ceremony when the MC announces--

"Our next performer, a multi talented singer with a fatal charm, give it up for SuA!"

The hall roars in applause. Minji waits with full anticipation, excited to see the performance she looked forward to the most.

The dimmed stage lights up, showing SuA at the centre of the stage. Her body moves as soon as the song starts, dancing with grace. Graceful, and yet there's the power behind every step. She easily dominates the stage with the help of her dancers. She ends the performance with an explosive high note and a piercing gaze that leaves everyone in the audience breathless.

Minji doesn't realise she's holding her breath the whole time. The next thing she knows, she's already standing up from her seat giving her biggest applause. The other celebrities in the audience follow her suit. Minji knows it's probably uncharacteristic of an actress to do that in an award ceremony. But she doesn't care. She can imagine the headline for tomorrow already:

The Nation's Best Friends are Still Going Strong! Kim Minji Showed her Support for Best Friend, SuA

Yeah, best friends.

If only they knew.

-------------------

After Yubin dropped her off at her apartment, Minji hums to herself as she enters her living room.

Her eyes scan the dark living room, only to jump at the figure of Bora sitting on the sofa.

", you scared me!" Minji clutches her chest, "You're home already? I thought you'd be celebrating with your team." Minji says as she walks into her room to change.

Minji senses something is wrong when she receives no response from her girlfriend. Carefully, she puts her hand on Bora's shoulder, "Hey, did something happen? You did great on the stage tonight."

Bora turns her head to Minji, brows creasing, "We will see? We will see?!"

"What are you talking about?"

Bora tosses her phone to Minji. A video of tonight's interview is on pause. It's Minji's interview. With Kang Hojun.

"They asked you if you would be okay with dating him and your answer is we will see?! Are you being serious right now?!" Bora gets up from her seat, running her hand through her hair. Her frustration shows.

Minji reaches for Bora's hand, making her sit next to her, "Bora, I was just playing along... It didn't mean anything."

"Was it really necessary?"

"It was fanservice, Bora."

Bora’s tone is full of snark, "Well, did he know that?"

"I don't know, and it doesn't matter. It was all meaningless, anyway. Besides, I love you."

Bora sighs, "I'm tired, Minji, I'm tired of feeling this way. We've been doing this for 5 years now, aren't you tired? Why can't we just tell the truth?"

"Bora, we talked about this... We could lose our job, our career, our house, heck, maybe our friends too. There is so much at stake. Too much."

Bora buries her face in her hands, feeling defeated, "I know, I know..."

Minji pulls Bora into her embrace and Bora melts into her touch. The scent of floral fills her senses. "Come...it's getting late, let's go to sleep." She gets up from the couch and leads Bora to their bedroom.

"Sorry I lashed out at you," Bora apologizes once they're all wrapped up in each other's arms, under the warmth of their blanket.

"It's okay, I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have said it mindlessly."

A pause.

"How did I do tonight?" Bora asks quietly.

"You were amazing! Did you not see me clapping and cheering for you?"

"I did," Bora grins with her eyes closed, remembering the memory. "you were the iest woman in the audience."

“Hey!” Minji yelps in surprise when she feels Bora's hand squeezing her . "...ert."

Bora lets out a small laugh before muttering softly, "Sorry you didn't win the award tonight."

"Ah, it's fine, I already have two of them. But I wonder where I should keep my Best Couple award..."

Bora opens her eyes in an instant, "I know where, and it's definitely not in this house."

Minji giggles then says with fondness adorned in her voice, "Don't worry, I gave it to Yubin already. I told her to keep it at the company. You're so cute when you're jealous."

Bora huffs at Minji, but still nuzzles closer into her girlfriend.

(She can’t ever bring herself to be annoyed at her for too long, anyways.)

-------------------

It was Yoohyeon who introduced them to each other. Yoohyeon; one of the hoobaes who Minji took on liking.

Minji met Yoohyeon at their drama's table reading. It was Yoohyeon's first-ever drama and it was definitely nerve-wracking for her. It wasn't even a lead role, but as a girl group member, all eyes were on her.

Yoohyeon's determination and persistence to learn and improve every time paid off when she proved to everyone she deserved the role. The public really liked Yoohyeon's character even though it was just a supporting role. It was her determination that made Minji grow fond of her. Yoohyeon reminded her of herself when she was just starting in the industry.

So when they wrapped up the drama that they've worked together, Minji wanted to treat Yoohyeon to a good meal as a pat on the back for doing so well. It was then when Yoohyeon asked--

"Sunbae, can another person join us tonight? I'm really sorry. She just finished her practice and usually, we'd go eat together. I feel bad to let her eat alone," Yoohyeon had said, guilt clearly painted on her face, "Oh and don't worry! She'll pay for her own meal."

Minji didn't mind for another company, besides, the more the merrier. So she said yes, convincing Yoohyeon that she didn't mind for a new addition.

Kim Bora came into her life like a force of wind. She blew Minji away. How could that small stature contain so much energy?

Bora had greeted both of them with an enthusiastic wave. Exhaustion clear on her face, results of her hard practice preparing for her comeback. Even then the singer still looked amazing in her loose t-shirt and training pants.

At first, she was taken aback by Bora's loud and straightforward personality. But it was also because of her personality that made their first meeting memorable.

(“Hey, do you think I can fit all three ssambaps in my mouth in less than five seconds?”

“...What?”

But she was too late, Bora already had two in and was wrestling in the third.

“What?” Bora had blinked innocently, cheeks puffed up with rice sticking in the corner of .

Minji didn’t realise it then, but this weirdo would one day end up becoming the love of her life.)

And from that night, Minji didn't expect them to get along so well. But they did, they hit off right away. It helped that both of them are the same age. Bora became one of the people Minji shared her problems and concerns with. Talking to Bora helped her. Sometimes it was crazy how Bora understood her so well.

Text messages turned to late night calls turned into hushed dates in the quiet night.

And in the dead of the night, they felt truly alive. The world was theirs.

Minji and Bora, existing. Not as the nation's best friend as what the media called them. But as two women who drunkenly in love with each other

And through the whispered confession, they sealed their fate.

Losing themselves in the sea of passionate kisses.

-------------------

JANUARY 2021

Minji wakes up with a heavy head, the after-effects of drinking a tad bit too much at her friend's New Year's Eve party last night.

She knew she had a schedule lined up for today, but last night was one of the nights she could let loose and have fun with her close friends, so she didn't really regret it.

Minji stretches as she squints her eyes at the harsh sunlight behind the curtains. Decided to sleep in more, she rolls to her right, in hope for a cuddle with her girlfriend.

Disappointment hits her when her hand falls dead to an empty side of the bed.

It's so unlike Bora to wake up earlier than Minji, especially on her free day. Minji blindly reaches for her phone at the side table, only to be greeted by a note left by Bora.

My company called for a meeting

Don't know what it's about

Have fun at your movie premiere

See you later, love you <3

(made you some breakfast, go eat it!)

Minji's stomach growls at the thought of food. So she goes straight to their kitchen and finds a stack of blueberry pancakes with perfectly brewed coffee prepared just for her.

(Funny how Bora doesn't even drink coffee, and yet the best coffee that Minji has ever tasted is the one made by Bora.)

 

As if on autopilot, Minji grabs her phone, goes on the portal site to read today's news.

Her fingers freeze as soon as she sees the real-time search ranking.

#1 SuA dating scandal

No...They can't know about us.

Her blood runs cold as her eyes see the next ranking. The sound of her spoon clanking with the floor echoes in her kitchen.

#2 SuA Jaehyung dating