Part I

Ghost of you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Smoothing my shoulder-length, ash blonde hair, I look myself at the mirror one last time. I reached for my earphones on the nearby table and plugged it to my ears before going out of my  apartment. It’s a small apartment but I’m lucky to have it. It’s cheap. And God knows how hard it is to find cheap apartments in Seoul. 

 

 

 

 

The apartment building I live in is pretty old. That explains why I just took three flights of stares.... because the building’s elevator is not working at the moment. 

 

 

 

The landlord do get it fixed once in a while but I find the elevator a bit... untrustworthy. So three flight of stairs everyday it is. 

 

 

 

I got out of the doors of my apartment building and before  making another step, I scanned my surroundings first then smiled to myself. “Today is a good day!”

 

 

 

I took my usual route to the bus stop in a haste and made a quick stop at my favorite bakery to grab some bread for breakfast. 

 

 

 

I prefer to cook a proper meal for breakfast before I go to work. I used to do that but I’m always running late since I’m not really an early riser. 

 

 

 

And besides, my supervisor at the convenience store I work at is not exactly fond of tardiness so after consecutive days of being late, my boss is ready to fire my as$ if he caught me one more time. I absolutely can’t afford to lose my job right now.

 

 

 

Arriving at the bus stop, I looked down at my watch and felt relieved to see that I’m 10 minutes early before the bus arrives. I sat down on the long, steel bench of the bus stop and brought out the bread I bought earlier. 

 

 

 

Damn, this bread is really good!

 

 

 

As I took my last bite, I felt that someone was watching me. I looked at right side and confirmed that I was right.

 

 

 

There’s a woman sitting at the opposite side of the bench, staring at me. 

 

 

 

The first thing I notice about her is her deep, brown eyes…So deep that I feel like drowning by just staring at them. She has a long, brown hair that reached her chest, has a pale complexion, and has a big gush of blood from the side of her forehead down to her neck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Great. Another spirit. And here I thought today is a good day.

 

 

 

Yeah, that’s right. Spirit. A ghost. 

 

 

 

For real. They’re existing. 

 

 

 

I discovered this ability when I was very young but as I grow older, I chose not to use it. The mere fact that I can see them is burden enough, how much more that I could talk to them? 

 

 

 

I know there are people out there, aside from me, that have this ability and could help them. But some spirits are just really persistent so I forced myself not to be affected by them. 

 

 

 

I sighed. “It’s rude to stare.”

 

 

 

The ghost...well, woman, blinked twice and looked at me again. Really, looked at me. 

 

 

 

I guess she’s not really staring at me at first. More like, she’s just spacing out. 

 

 

 

Huh. A ghost spacing out?

 

 

 

“I’m not staring at you. I just—“She stopped herself and then frowned. 

 

 

 

“Wait... YOU CAN SEE ME?!” She jumped to her feet and then pointed her finger at me, like I just did the most horrible thing. 

 

 

 

“AND YOU CAN TALK TO ME, TOO!!??” 

 

 

 

Ok. One thing is for sure. She’s the most energetic ghost I’ve ever met...

 

 

 

“It’s my first time to meet someone who could actually see me and talk to me. Uh...well, it’s also my first time to be a ghost.” She chuckled. “But still! Omo. I can’t believe this.”

 

 

 

...and the most talkative too. 

 

 

 

I stared at her for a beat then shrugged my shoulders, not wanting to engage with this conversation anymore. Even though l’m the one who started it. 

 

 

 

Sh*t! Why in hell did I talk her anyway? 

 

 

 

I glanced at my watch again and then looked at the left side of the road. Damn, the bus is late. It should have arrive by now. 

 

 

 

“Hey.” 

 

 

 

I felt her coming closer to me but I ignored her. 

 

 

 

“Hey, miss.”

 

 

 

Again. Ignored. 

 

 

 

“Please don’t ignore me. I know you can hear me.”

 

 

 

I could finally see the bus heading to our way and I jumped to my feet as soon as it stopped in front of the bus stop.

 

 

 

But the woman was also fast enough to jump in front me, blocking me from getting on the bus. 

 

 

 

For Pete’s sake! Not this again. 

 

 

 

“Please. Can you—“ She stopped for a beat then glanced down but when she looked back at me again, it’s as if her eyes  have changed. 

 

 

 

 

“Help me. Please.”

 

 

 

Her eyes were holding me captive and I can’t make myself to look away. What the hell? What is wrong with this ghost. 

 

 

 

“I—“

 

 

 

“Hey, miss! Are you coming or not?” The bus driver asked, with a hint of irritation in his voice. 

 

 

 

I forced myself to looked away. “Y-yes. Sorry, I’m coming.”

 

 

 

Looking back at the woman again, I whispered, “I’m sorry. I can’t help you. Please leave me alone.”

 

 

 

I get on the bus and the bus driver was looking at weirdly. 

 

 

 

I looked back and saw that the woman was still there, staring at me. She just watched me until I took a seat and until the bus leaves the bus stop. 

 

 

 

 

 

———————————————————

 

 

 

 

 

“Hi!” A chirpy voice welcomed me as soon as I arrived at the bus stop. 

 

 

 

You’ve got to be kidding me! It’s the same ghost I’ve met yesterday. 

 

 

 

I just ignored her... Act like I heard and see nothing. 

 

 

 

I sat down on the bench and fiddled with my phone to distract myself. 

 

 

 

“Oh, come on miss. Don’t be like that.” She then proceeded to sat down besides me. She was so close that it made me irritated. She was already on my personal space! 

 

 

 

I grumbly scooted to my left. I scooted away too much that only my ’s right cheek was sitting on the bench.

 

 

 

“Do you know about personal space?” I said glaring at her. 

 

 

 

She just grinned widely, so wide that her nose scrunched which I found oddly...cute. 

 

 

 

“I told you to leave me alone. I can’t help you.” 

 

 

 

“You don’t even know why I need your help yet.” She reasoned out. 

 

 

 

“Whatever it is, I don’t care. So can you please leave me alone now.” A man walking in front of us got surprised at my outburst and  looked at me like I’ve gone crazy. 

 

 

 

I don’t blame him. I’ll think I’m crazy If I saw myself talking to no one. 

 

 

 

“Please. Just here me out.” 

 

 

 

I saw the bus approaching so I got up from the bench and waited for it at the side of the road. 

 

 

 

“I already told, I can’t.” I got on the bus, tapped my transportation card. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Why?!” 

 

 

 

“Jesus.” I hissed, startled. I whipped my head back and saw the woman behind me. 

 

 

 

She followed me in the bus for crying out loud!

 

 

 

“What—“ I glanced around the bus and thank God it’s almost empty. “What are you doing?” I whispered and proceeded to sit at the very back to avoid getting heard by the other passengers. 

 

 

 

“Following you, of course. Come on. Help me, please.” She said as she sat beside me. 

 

 

 

I sat by the window so her sitting besides me felt like she had me trapped. Her body... er not her physical body but you get me. Anyways, her body was turned to me... alm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter