CH. 3

2nd Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

CHAPTER THREE.

 

After days of seeing Tiffany briefly visiting the ice cream store, Taeyeon’s friends have decided to knock some sense into her head. Her time is running out. The digit in her wrist lowered to 35. She has to do her mission and they will help Taeyeon figure it out.

 

“So, unnie.. We need a plan. An actual plan. To find dates for Tiffany.” Seulgi begins when they are having another urgent meeting at Taeyeon’s apartment. 

 

“What I learned from my own experience is we should not stall! Because time is ticking. And the faster we start, the better.” Seulgi talked like an expert, which she kinda is for this case. And the fact that she wore a spec today only makes her look even more like a real lecturer. 

 

As the usual, the participants are Taeyeon, the main character of the current 49 days trial, Yeri, the now hella rich shaman who always ready to help her ghost friends in need, Seulgi, the previous main character who successfully passed the trial and now supposedly be the experience one who can help Taeyeon, and Nayeon, the grim reaper who wants nothing more than sending Taeyeon to her final resting place after years become an unsolved case for her. 

 

“S-should we?” Taeyeon can’t help but feel a bit sad. Seulgi of course can understand her feelings.

 

“Yeah, I’m sorry, unnie. But we have to.” Seulgi softly said as she patted Taeyeon’s back.

 

“I don’t want to make you feel even sadder, but They kinda gave me a hint last night when I meditated.” Yeri, who has been extremely quiet since the meeting began, finally speaks up. 

 

“What hint?” Nayeon asked.

 

“The Deity said this 49 days given to Taeyeon unnie is because of... Tiffany’s wish. Tiffany asked for two things from Them. And They wanted Taeyeon unnie to fulfill it.”

 

“So, you were saying, perhaps Tiffany is the one who asked for meeting someone new so she can move on with her life and let go of Taeyeon unnie?” Seulgi carefully asked. Yeri bit her lip and nods. 

 

Taeyeon looked dejected. 

 

“Maybe Tiffany wants to forget me now. She wanted to move on with her life by meeting someone new.” Taeyeon sadly smiles to herself.

 

“Unnie..” Seulgi looked at the older with worry. Yeri mentally scolded herself for bringing this up. But she just thought she needed to share every information she knew with them in case it would be a help.

 

“Let’s do it, then! Let’s fulfill my Fany’s wishes. Well, there’s another wish that we haven’t figured out yet, but I believe we will soon. For now, let’s focus on the first wish.” Taeyeon said with a forced smile.

 

Everyone in the room can see how fake that smile is. But Taeyeon keeps on smiling and urging everyone to start with the mission cheerfully. The sight is almost too painful to witness.

 

“Hey, Seulgi sunbae. Please teach me where to start in finding date things!” Taeyeon playfully nudged Seulgi.

 

Seulgi sighed but for her unnie, she forced a smile too and started to show Taeyeon how the dating application works. 

 

But later on, they realized that they did not need to use the dating app because Taeyeon saw Tiffany with someone else and it broke her heart. The two went on a date as they held each other’s hand. 

 

And that was the same guy Taeyeon saw Tiffany with a few months ago that caused Taeyeon to sulked and hide inside her urn for days. 

 

'I can't do this. ' Taeyeon thought to herself.

 

It’s really hard to let go when all you want to do is to clutch and hold on, even when it brings you nothing but pain. Even when it causes you no good but a self-destruction.

 

Why does life have to be so cruel? 

 

***

 

(The next day)

 

“Ms. Hwang, Ms. Irene Bae is here.” TIffany’s secretary informed her through the phone.

 

“Let her in,” Tiffany replied monotonously, as she kept on typing on the keyboard.

 

Not long after that, her office room’s door slowly pushed open.

 

Tiffany took off her glasses, and stood up from her seat, ready to greet her guest.

 

“Hello.” Irene bowed her head to the CEO as she flashed her a warm yet professional smile.

 

“Hello.” Tiffany bowed back. But then her eyebrows knitted as she tried to recall her memory. “Oh, I think we’ve met before?” Tiffany asked while shaking Irene’s hand. 

 

“Ah, well..” Irene’s eyes are mirroring hers as the two starts to feel the same sense of familiarity when they see each other’s face up close. “I think we’ve met at the temple before.”

 

Irene wanted to add that Tiffany also talked with her girlfriend, Seulgi. But Irene stopped herself when she remembered that Tiffany will not remember that. No one will remember Seulgi. She almost did that too.

 

“Oh, you’re right! What a small world.” Tiffany chuckled lightly.

 

“Yeah, what a coincidence.” Irene nodded her head in agreement.

 

The two then proceed to talk about their business matter. Irene, as the representative of her company, wanted to buy a franchise of one of Tiffany’s owned ice cream businesses.

 

The two seem to talk comfortably with each other. The air is not too serious, in fact rather warm and friendly. 

 

“It was nice to meet you today, TIffany-ssi.”

 

“Likewise, Irene-ssi. I’ll see you in a few days for the contract signing.”

 

“Yes, see you in a few days, TIffany-ssi. Then I'll be leaving now. Once again thank you for agreeing to our proposal. It’s such an honour for us.”

 

“Nah, the honour is mine. A big company like RV Corp wanted to invest and buy the licence for opening our ice cream store in South East Asian countries. I was too focused on expanding the store in Korea, and I didn't ever really consider opening the stores outside Korea. Well, last year we opened a few stores in Japan and China, we didn’t want to gamble with further located countries. It seems a bit risky. But now with RV Corp’s help, we can finally do that. I’m glad. Really.”

 

“It’s a mutual benefit for both companies, I can say.” Irene kindly smiled and was ready to leave.

 

“Yeah, c’mon, I’ll walk you out."

 

Ever since the last meeting they had for signing the contract, Tiffany and Irene found themselves finding comfort in each other’s company. The feeling is mutual because a few days after the signing, Tiffany contacted Irene again, not for a business matter. But simply to ask the younger woman to have a friendly chat over a cup of tea at the cafe near Tiffany’s office. They talked about the weather, their hometown, their childhood and hobbies. Turned out the two shared the same humour code too.

 

Soon enough, the two women became friends. 

 

"There's someone I am trying so hard to forget by seeing other people but I can't. What should I do?" Tiffany asked Irene over a cup of coffee one time. 

 

"Then, don't forget." Irene simply said.

 

Unlike the other people that Tiffany talked with before, where they all sounded either judging or know-it-all, Irene is understanding. 

 

And with that Tiffany felt glad she finally has a friend to confide her troubles with. 

 

***

 

Taeyeon had a rough morning. It was all about Kim Lip's roommate, Jung Jinsoul who happens to be her girlfriend as well. First thing in the morning, she knocked on Kim Lip's apartment with her eyes closed as the usual.

 

"Oh, it's you again." the cold voice said unenthusiastically. 

 

“Yeah, sorry. I'm looking for Kim Lip." Taeyeon said in a hush while her eyes are still close. 

 

"Why don't you open your eyes when you talk to me?" Jinsoul stoically asked. 

 

"I need to see Kim Lip first thing in the morning, I promised I'll leave after that."

 

"OKAY." Taeyeon can sense the coldness in that one short word.

 

She knows Jinsoul doesn’t like her and acted hostile toward her. But she has no choice.

 

“Jerk, your other girlfriend is looking for you!”' Taeyeon heard Jinsoul called out. 

 

“Huh? What are you talking about?" That’s Kim Lip’s voice, Taeyeon can tell. Poor her, she sounded so confused.

 

Then she heard some footsteps. 

 

"Oh, Taeyeon unnie." 

 

Taeyeon opened her eyes and smiled. 

 

"YOU'RE A LIFESAVER! " Then she hugged Kim Lip and left. 

 

"What the hell… " Kim Lip was left standing on the door in awe and she felt a cold dark aura beaming on her left.  

 

"Lifesaver, huh? And another routine morning hug?”

 

"B-Babe, let me explain…" 

 

"The last time you said that you pretended to be dead. Let’s see what you will do this time. You got ten seconds." 

 

'Oh, . This is bad. Because I still can’t explain it!’ Kim Lip inwardly panicking.

 

“7.. 8.. 9.. 10.” Jinsoul counted.

 

And Kim Lip closed her eyes and dramatically fell to the floor, faking her yet another death.

 

 

(At the ice cream parlour)

 

Tiffany for some unknown reasons has been thinking about the new employee named Kim Lip for a few days now. She just couldn’t stop thinking about her.

 

There’s something about the new girl that catches her attention. Something that makes her feel, as weird as it seems, drawn to her.

 

Maybe because Kim Lip left her a rather strong first impression. The girl cried the first time she saw Tiffany. The girl acted so clumsily, which reminded her of someone. Or to be exact, a younger version of someone that she holds so dear in her heart.

 

And the is when Kim Lip called her with ‘Fany’. Tiffany is not feeling offended or whatsoever for having her employee to call her with a nickname so casually like that. It’s just the way Kim Lip called her with that nickname, reminded her of Taeyeon. 

 

No one but her that ever called Tiffany with that nickname. In that same tone, with her gentle voice that Kim Lip perfectly ‘mimicked’.

 

Tiffany almost lost her sanity trying to figure out the mystery behind all of these coincidences.

 

And when a kid gave her a portrait that day, she almost believed that Kim Lip is indeed Taeyeon. Because despite the rather messy drawing of a 6 years old kid, Tiffany swears she can tell that the person behind the cashier is Taeyeon, not Kim Lip.

 

Tiffany believes in magic. Since she once experienced it. So with her strong determination, today she went to the ice cream parlour with an agenda in mind.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo~” Tiffany slightly flinched when she heard that voice. A way too familiar voice.

 

“Oh, Miss Hwang.” Taeyeon bowed at her and tried to speak in a higher pitch which Tiffany finds weird because it seems the younger girl can speak normally but she always tried to speak weirdly like that whenever Tiffany is around.

 

“Hi, Kim Lip. Today Dahyun is taking a leave due to family urgent matters. So I will be here all day to supervise and help you if it’s needed.” Tiffany explained.

 

“O-oh?” Taeyeon seems to be speechless because she can only open to close it again. She seems nervous and fidgety. Tiffany thought it’s normal for a new employee to feel intimidated or even scared with the presence of their boss. Not to mention they will be together all day.

 

“Relax, Kim Lip. I’m not that strict-scary boss. I’m here to help you because I'm afraid you will be overwhelmed on your own. I’m not here to scold you or anything so rest assured, please.”

 

“Ne.” Taeyeon timidly said. 

 

Today is also a bit slow. Not so many people came to buy ice cream so Kim Lip is perfectly fine on her own, while Tiffany takes a seat in front of the cashier and works on something with her laptop.

 

She will look over at the new employee from time to time to make sure that the new kid is alright. And whenever their eyes meet, Tiffany will give Kim Lip a small smile, while Kim Lip will return it with her groggy smile.

 

Tiffany didn’t say it but she found the behaviour rather cute.

 

It was silent again for a whole 30 minutes. Only the sound of Tiffany’s typing on the keyboard that can be heard. But suddenly Tiffany stopped typing and called out for Kim Lip, surprising the poor girl who didn’t anticipate it.

 

“Ne?” Taeyeon nervously asked.

 

“Come here and sit with me. We don’t have any guests to serve right now.”

 

“O-h? Okay.”

 

“So, how’s work so far?” Tiffany closed her laptop to look at Taeyeon with a smile.

 

“Everything is good. I like it to be here.” Taeyeon answered with a genuine smile. She likes to work here. She feels familiar with the store, and she can keep seeing Tiffany even her mom too from time to time. Everything’s perfect.

 

“You do? Good then. What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?”

 

“Mint choco.”

 

“Ah, you like Mint Choco too, I see. You see, I know someone who likes Mint choco flavour too. And you reminded me of her.”

 

“Y-yeah?”

 

“Yeah. Her name is Kim Taeyeon.” And Tiffany observed closely how Kim Lip’s slightly flinched on her seat when Tiffany mentioned Taeyeon’s name. 

 

“Why did you choose to work here?” Tiffany asked again. 

 

“I love ice cream so much! I believe that ice cream is the food for all seasons!” Kim Lip said with the same enthusiasm as Taeyeon did before. Tiffany couldn’t believe her eyes. It was as if Taeyeon came back to life. 

 

‘Did the heavens hear my plea?’ Tiffany thought to herself. She wanted to make sure her hunches were right.

 

And Taeyeon just had a slip of the tongue when she saw the gold infinity necklace that was hanging around Tiffany's neck, “You still wear that?” she asked mindlessly and Tiffany’s eyes widened, “I-I mean… it’s a good necklace.” Taeyeon panicked in fear that her disguise would be busted.

 

Tiffany tried to calm herself down and regain her composure because there’s still one more thing left to do.

 

“Hey, Kim Lip. Do you think you can do me a favour?”

 

“O-oh! Sure. Just tell me what it is and I surely will try my best to help!”

 

“Thank you. I was wondering, can you sing me a song? It’s pretty boring right now.”

 

“S-sing a song?” Taeyeon is taken aback. 

 

“Haha sorry, I know the request is pretty random and out of the blue. You can refuse it if you don’t want to.” Tiffany said. But Taeyeon can see how Tiffany’s eyes looked sad when she said that. And Taeyeon will loath herself if she knows she’s the reason behind Tiffany’s frown, when in fact she can sing for the latter and make her smile again.  

 

Taeyeon is a fool for Tiffany. She didn’t think much. All she knows and cares about is whether Tiffany is happy or not. And Taeyeon will move a mountain if that can make Tiffany happy. 

 

“Okay, I will sing! W-what song do you want me to sing?”

 

“Lost in love.” Tiffany softly said as she looked deep into Taeyeon’s eyes.

 

“Do you know that song?” Tiffany asked. Taeyeon nodded her head. Of course, she knows that song. There’s no way she doesn’t.

 

Taeyeon’s heart started to beat so fast. That song... Is the song that Taeyeon used to sing for Tiffany. She sang that song for the latter countless times and Tiffany never got bored of it. 

 

Instead, it becomes their favourite song. Even though it’s a sad break-up song, the two just love how good the song is. Never for once, they thought that song would become theirs. 

 

“I’ll sing with you if that will help to lessen your nervousness.” Tiffany chuckled.

 

“T-thank you.”

 

Taeyeon inhaled and cleared , and she started to sing.

 

Are we separating up now?

Or is it just a temporary separation, like we promised?

It seems like this is the most I can take.

Why haven’t I heard anything from you?

 

I love you. It’s okay even if I have to wait forever.

So when you decide to come back to me again, you’ll see me smiling at you, always.

 

I still can’t accept the fact that you were the one who announced our separation.

What are you doing right now?

 

Right now, even though the sadness and your leaving are settling in slowly,

All I can think about is how good it would be if you come back to me.

 

Why do I act so foolishly?

The “time” that you have given me, was just the time to straighten out the distance between us.

I’m not upset, because I believe that you’ll look for me again.

This belief will strengthen my love for you,

And give me the strength to live on.

 

By the end of the song, both Tiffany and Taeyeon had tears in their eyes. 

 

“So it’s you huh? Kim Taeyeon, it’s you.” Tiffany whispered out, more to herself. Taeyeon didn’t hear that because she was busy wiping away her tears while her brain was trying hard to come up with another lie if Tiffany asks why she cried. 

 

“Kim... Taeyeon.” Tiffany’s voice is firmer and louder this time and Taeyeon snapped so fast, she almost broke her neck.

 

“W-what did you just call me?” She gulped. Maybe she misheard it. 

 

“I missed you. C-can I hug you, Taeyeon-ah?” Taeyeon barely can keep her tears at bay when she sees TIffany’s tears streaming down her face.

 

“Fany..” Taeyeon choked out and threw herself at Tiffany, throwing the caution out of the window.

 

Tiffany readily caught her and the two cried so hard in each other’s embrace. Both are shaking so badly but they got each other to keep them anchored. 

 

“I missed you, Tae. God, I missed you so much.” Tiffany sobbed hard.

 

“I missed you too, Fany. So much. It hurts.” Taeyeon cried as she clutched tighter on Tiffany. 

 

“Why didn't you tell me?”

 

“I.. I was scared. I don’t know how to face you again. And I’m afraid of showing myself to you again would be a bad idea.”

 

“Are you crazy? Why would that be a bad idea?” Tiffany raised her voice out of frustration and anger. How could Taeyeon think like that?

 

“I.. saw you with him.”

 

“Oh.” Tiffany bowed her head in guilt.

 

“Hey hey, it’s okay. No need to feel guilty or anything. I mean you need to move on with your life too. You can’t love a ghost forever, Fany.” Taeyeon gently pinched Tiffany’s chin and made her look at Taeyeon again.

 

“But now you’re here. I don’t need anything else. We can love each other just like before.” Tiffany smiled brightly through her tears. How Taeyeon loves that bright smile. She’s glad she can bring that smile on Tiffany’s face again. But she knows she has to tell Tiffany the truth eventually. She can’t give Tiffany a false hope.

 

"How did you change your face?" Tiffany asked curiously. 

 

"This face is temporary. I had to use a magic shampoo given by a fairy to disguise my appearance." Taeyeon carefully explained. She’s afraid Tiffany won’t believe her. 

 

"Magic? Fairy?" 

 

"Do you believe in fairies, Tiffany?" And Tiffany smiled as she nodded her head. 

 

"I do." 

 

"I have to use that shampoo otherwise you will see my face and I might scare you." 

 

"I tell you what. Don't use that shampoo anymore. Please, I want to see you every day. Your face, not someone else’s. I want to see you for a long time.”

 

“Fany..” Taeyeon’s eyes got watered again as she looked at Tiffany’s eyes, ready to break the news.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter