CH. 2

2nd Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suggestion: Read 49th Day. This is the continuation but reading is optional. Link on foreword.

 

CHAPTER TWO. 

 

After wandering for the longest time, Taeyeon felt lonely.

 

She’s happy to see Seulgi turns into a human and find her happy ending. But she’s sad too because Seulgi couldn’t see her anymore now. That means they can’t be friends any more. That made her feel so alone. As if her life is cursed.

 

One rainy night, she called out to the heavens.

 

“WHY CAN’T YOU JUST TAKE ME?! IF YOU CAN’T TAKE ME, THEN GIVE MY FINAL JUDGEMENT! I CAN’T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! I DON’T WANT TO WANDER ANYMORE! WHY ARE YOU SO CRUEL TO ME?!”

 

Then suddenly, a thunder struck her dead...or not?

 

The next day, Taeyeon found herself lying on the pavement.

 

Her head was aching, she felt cold and her clothes were wet. 

 

“I can feel things?”

 

She put her hands on her face to brush off the hair that was blocking her sight.

 

She saw a number on her wrist.

 

‘49.’

 

“What the hell?” her eyes widened and when she looked around, she saw the shaman, Kim Yeri staring at her mirroring her wide eyes.

 

“Oh, !” 

 

Déjà vu.

 

Then, the grim reaper Nayeon who happens to walk around the area saw the scenario and put a palm on her face in misery.

 

“, another paperwork!”

 

***

 

 (CONTINUATION OF 49TH DAY)

 

The trio then went to the columbarium and had a discussion.

 

“What should I do in my 49 days? Shaman? Grim reaper?” Taeyeon turned her head to her left and right, desperately asking for an answer.

 

Yeri seems to be in deep thought. 

 

“I felt like I've seen a similar case. But no matter how hard I racked my brain, I just can’t remember.”

 

“That was Kang Seulgi’s case.” Taeyeon pointed out. 

 

“Seulgi who?” Yeri, who got her memory about Seulgi wiped up, still can’t remember a thing.

 

“It’s okay, Yeri-ssi. You forgot because They erased the memory of every human who knew her. But I think even though your brain forgot, your heart somehow will still remember. Should we meet Seulgi and see if she has any idea? Since shaman and grim reaper are as clueless as me.” Taeyeon sighed.

 

“I’ll follow.” Nayeon suddenly said.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you are my long time case. I need to guide you through this.”

 

“Okay then.” 

 

***

 

Yeri walked with the two when she suddenly halted.

 

“Wait wait. I think I know this road very well. You said that Seulgi lives in that blue apartment? My friend also lives there. What a coincidence.”

 

Taeyeon snorted. “Yeri-ssi, that Kang Seulgi lives with your friend, Bae Irene.”

 

“WHAT? WHY?” Yeri looked surprised.

 

“Well, you see...” And Taeyeon started to recap everything that happened to Seulgi, and her case, until she got her happy ending with Irene, but all people who knew her including Yeri who helped Seulgi a lot in her 49 days trial, had to forget her.

 

Yeri had a small smile on her face by the time Taeyeon finished the story.

Taeyeon was right. She still can’t remember a thing, but her heart feels warm somehow knowing she’s going to meet Seulgi again. Her other dear friend that once was lost, is now found again.

 

*ding dong*

 

They pressed the bell of Irene’s apartment unit.

 

From the CCTV camera, Irene saw Yeri’s face and another woman that she never met before. She can only see two people because Nayeon is a grim reaper. She can’t be seen by humans.

 

Irene opened the door and greeted Yeri.

 

“Yeri?” Irene lifted her eyebrow at the younger girl questioningly. Well to be fair, her friends often come to her place unannounced. But still, they usually will give her a heads up like 10 minutes before they arrived just in case Irene is not at home.

 

“Hi, unnie.” Yeri awkwardly greeted. “May I come in? Oh, by the way, this is my friend, Taeyeon.” Yeri pointed at the pale woman beside her with her eyes.

 

“Hi, Irene-ssi. I’m Taeyeon. Nice to meet you.” Taeyeon politely bowed before she offered her right hand for a handshake.

 

“I’m Irene. Nice to meet you too.” Irene took Taeyeon’s hand and shook it lightly before she turned her attention toward the shaman again.

 

“Yah, what are you doing here at this late hour? I hope you didn’t cause any trouble, Kim Yeri.”

 

“Ah, aniya. Everything is alright. Just.. is Seulgi here?” Yeri asked as her eyes wandered around her apartment.

 

“Y-you know Seulgi? You remember?!” Irene gasped.

 

“Well... I think I'm supposed to know Seulgi. But yeah, I don't remember. I can’t. But I don't mind starting another new friendship with her. So where is she? Uh, my friend here kinda needs her help.” Yeri said with her thumb pointed at Taeyeon who gave Irene a nervous smile.

 

“Oh, okay. She’s with Seowoo in the room. I’ll get her. You guys can sit and make yourself comfortable. But Kim Yeri, you stay put. Don’t you dare to steal Seowoo’s snacks again!” Irene seriously warned. Yeri just sheepishly grinned and made a V sign with her fingers.

 

Not long after Irene was gone, she came back with Seulgi beside her.

 

Seulgi’s eyes widened in surprise when she saw the guests who’re waiting for her in the living room.

 

“OMO!” Seulgi gasped.

 

“T-Taeyeon unnie?? Yeri??”

 

Seulgi rushed to hug the two tightly. Taeyeon laughed and hugged Seulgi back, while Yeri didn’t know where to put her hands. Seulgi is like a total stranger to her now, even though she can feel how weirdly familiar Seulgi is.

 

“I MISSED YOU, GUYS!” Seulgi said.

 

“I missed you too, my friend.” Taeyeon patted Seulgi’s back. But as if she just remembered something, Seulgi broke the hug and looked at Taeyeon in disbelief.

 

“Unnie... Wait, h-how? HOW CAN I SEE YOU? HOW CAN I HOLD YOU?” The realization just hit her.

 

“Uh... Seulgi-yah, can we talk about it outside over a cup of tea or something?” Taeyeon hinted. It’s not that she doesn’t trust Irene. She just wanted to keep this a secret for now. The fewer people know, the better. Especially since she doesn’t even exactly know what her mission is.

 

“Oh, okay. Let me grab my jacket and wallet real quick.” Thank God Seulgi can get the message immediately. For once, the dumb bear is being quick-witted.

 

“Babe, I’ll be going out with my friends. Just hanging out at the cafe nearby. And it won’t be long, I promise. I’ll be back before 11. But if you’re sleepy, you can sleep first. You don’t have to wait for me.” Seulgi affectionately said to Irene as she leaned in to give a lingering kiss on Irene’s forehead.

 

“Okay, just be safe.” Irene wrapped her arm around Seulgi’s waist and closed her eyes when Seulgi hugged her back.

 

“See you, Irene unnie.” Yeri waved at Irene. And Taeyeon did the same. 

“Good night, Irene-ssi.”

 

Irene waved back at them and walked them out.

 

***

 

(Inside the cafe)

 

Taeyeon showed her wrist to Seulgi and Seulgi almost fell from her chair because of that.

 

“NO WAY!” Seulgi gasped.

 

“Yes way, Kang.” Taeyeon sighed. “I cursed at Them too, but I swear it wasn’t on purpose. I didn’t expect them to give me the same trial they gave to you. I swear because I was so desperate and lonely. I lost Tiffany, I lost my life, then I lost you guys too, my friends. I was all alone, aimlessly wandering in this world, still can’t get over my regret.”

 

Seulgi raised her hand to pat Taeyeon’s back softly.

 

“It’s okay, unnie. We’ll help you. We’ll figure things out.”

 

“That’s the thing, Seulgi-yah. None of us knows what to do. I mean for your case, you wished to leave this world after you found the right partner for Irene to raise your daughter with. But as for my case, I didn't even ask for anything. I was just angry at them and cursing. But I didn’t hope for anything. I don’t even know what to hope for.”

 

“Uh.. okay. Yeri-ah, you’re the shaman. The bridge between us the living and unliving with Them. Didn’t They give you a clue or something?” Seulgi asked the quiet shaman.

 

Yeri weakly shook her head rather guiltily. 

 

“I tried to ask. I prayed and paid my respect but They didn’t give me anything. Sorry.”

 

“Eyy, no need to be sorry.” Seulgi nudged her. “How about the grim reaper? I can’t see them now but have you guys tried to ask Nayeon or Jeongyeon?” Seulgi asked again.

 

“Uh, they didn’t know either. And Nayeon unnie is here with us. She stands behind you. And she said hi.” Yeri said as she looked at somewhere behind Seulgi. 

 

“OH! Hi, Nayeon!” Seulgi happily greeted the empty air behind her.

 

“Uh... Nayeon said you’re still a dumb bear because she’s on the other side. You just talked to the air.” Yeri and Taeyeon loudly laughed. Nayeon did too even though Seulgi can’t see her. 

 

Seulgi just pouted for being laughed at.

 

Taeyeon, despite still not knowing a thing, she feels happy. Her heart feels lighter.

 

After years she only felt sad and blue, for the first time in those depressing years, she finally can laugh this loud again. Thanks to her friends.

 

Maybe being in this 49 days trial is not that bad after all.

 

Until Seulgi said,

 

“Maybe your mission is the same as mine. You have to find someone for TIffany, make peace with your past, let go of all of your regrets. That way you can finally go up there in peace and reincarnate, unnie.”

 

And Taeyeon’s smile fell. 

 

“I have to agree with her.” Yeri shrugged. “I mean you’ve been wandering for so long. What if the Deity just wants you to get over your regret and find your peace? They know how much you’ve been clinging to your past, to her, your Tiffany. So maybe they gave you 49 days like a second chance for you? To properly say your goodbye to TIffany so you can finally leave with peace.”

 

***

 

It’s getting late so they decided to call it a day. They will have another meeting tomorrow morning.

 

Seulgi walked back toward Irene’s apartment, while Taeyeon, who has no place to stay, decided to accept Yeri’s kind offer to stay at her place in the meantime until they get everything figured out.

 

Nayeon also took her way.

 

But instead of going back to her office to finish her paperwork, Nayeon walked and walked until the road she’s walking on is very narrow and dark. Almost like uninhibited. 

 

Nayeon finally makes a stop in front of a hut-like house. Which is very peculiar for the sight since all houses and buildings around there are all modern.

 

She didn’t even bother to knock on the door, just walked in and passed through it.

 

Inside the house, she spotted two girls shining so bright, flying and playing around the house happily. They’re shining not from the lamp or light, but the spark emerging from inside their bodies.

 

Nayeon smiled softly at the two and took off her oversized hat.

 

“Yves, Chuu, It’s been a while.” She nodded her head at the duo, acknowledging.

 

“Oh, Nayeon unnie!” The two smiled back brightly.

 

“Sorry to come unannounced. But I might need your help, fairies.”

 

“Sure thing. unnie.”

 

***

 

 

(The next day)

 

The trio humans plus the grim reaper are sitting on the same table where they were sitting last night.

 

After a long discussion, they agreed that the most possible mission for Taeyeon is what Seulgi said on the previous night. Which is for Taeyeon to make peace with her past and get over her regret.

 

Taeyeon often complained about how she couldn’t talk nor touch Tiffany. So maybe Deity gave her 49 days to spend wisely with Tiffany for the last time. Where she can be seen and heard by Tiffany. Where she can touch Tiffany.

 

Now the problem is, how can Taeyeon suddenly reappear in front of Tiffany? What should she say to the woman? She can’t show up in front of her house and say, “Hi, Tiffany. How are you? I really missed you. And yeah, I’m back from death! Yay! But I'm gonna leave you again in 40 something days."

 

It’s not that easy. 

 

And to know Taeyeon can’t stay with her for a long time, reappearing in Tiffany’s life might be a really bad idea.

 

After almost 5 years since Taeyeon’s death. After Tiffany finally seems able to move on with her life. 

 

Because just like Seulgi, Taeyeon saw everything. She always kept a close eye on Tiffany even after she’s dead. 

 

Taeyeon has witnessed how Tiffany struggled so hard to cope up with her death. Up to the point where Tiffany is really considering just keeping taking those sleeping pills and praying to not waking up again because she knows Taeyeon will wait for her in the afterlife. 

 

Taeyeon still can clearly remember what Tiffany wrote for her on a pink sticky note that she posted on the glass of her urn on the 100th day of her death.

 

‘Till I die, and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I’ll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again. Please wait for me, Tae.’

 

Tiffany is still standing and breathing, but her eyes lost her lights. She looks dead. And that is what worries Taeyeon the most. Tiffany is losing her reason to live. She’s so lost. Taeyeon both loves and hates how much their presence affects each other’s life. Like two persons who share one soul. One can’t be without the other. 

 

But then there’s her mother. Taeyeon is glad her mother is taking care of Tiffany for her. And the two women she loves the most, finally able to find comfort in each other’s company and it helped them to go through the loss.

 

So Taeyeon doesn’t want to put Tiffany through those hard times all over again.

 

But she can’t suppress the longing she feels for Tiffany. She wants to be able to talk to her again, to be heard by her, to be touched by her. 

 

In the end, Taeyeon can only pull her hair out of frustration. Seulgi and Yeri can only look at her in sympathy. 

 

Nayeon tiredly sighed. 

 

“You know what, stop moping around. I’ll help you, okay? Because with you going up there, means one of my long-time unfinished jobs will be finally done. Follow me.” Nayeon stood up, ready to leave. 

 

“To where?” Taeyeon confusedly asked. But she followed the grim reaper anyway. Seulgi and Yeri followed their unnie. 

 

“I’ll bring you to my friend, fairy Chuu.” 

 

Yeri told Seulgi what Nayeon just said since Seulgi can’t hear her.

 

“Are we in a fairytale?” Seulgi snorted. Yeri elbowed Seulgi on the stomach. 

 

“OUCH!”

 

“Fairy is real, you fool! Even a kid knows that.” Yeri commented. Nayeon nodded her head in agreement. 

 

The four of them walked into some small dark alleys before they finally stopped in front of a rather eye-pricking pink coloured door hut.

 

Nayeon knocked twice before the door suddenly opened. 

 

They saw silver dust and golden dust swirling around.

 

A blue fairy and pink fairy were playing around above.

 

“Yves-yah! Chuu-yah!” Nayeon called out. 

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, yorobun~~ Chuu-yeyo!” Suddenly a very high pitched voice shrieked out of nowhere, echoing all over the house, surprising everyone but Nayeon. Nayeon seems pretty unaffected. 

 

The door behind them flung closed, causing the trio (because Nayeon yet again seems very calm and unbothered) to jump on their spot.

 

“Damn, we’re all ghosts or at least used to be ghosts and you Yeri is a shaman, but look how easily scared we are. It’s such a shame to our ghost-family.” Taeyeon sighed.

 

Seulgi is clinging onto her arm, while Yeri clutches on Taeyeon’s shoulders.

 

Suddenly something flies across the room and stops right in front of them.

 

It’s a girl. They can’t really see her face yet since she’s glowing, literally, too bright for their eyes.

 

She has wings, dressed in a beautiful white dress with a wand in her hand.

 

As soon as her feet touched the ground, she wasted no time to tackle Nayeon into a bone-crushing hug.

 

“NAYEON UNNIE YOU CAME AGAIN~ What’s up?” The fairy asked after releasing the hug. 

 

“Uh, I'm doing a favor for a friend, "Nayeon said as she pointed at Taeyeon with her eyes.

 

“Oh, hi there! I’m Chuu. What can I do for you?” Chuu asked still with her megawatt smile.

 

So Taeyeon started to explain about her situation, and Chuu attentively-animatedly listened to her story. Chuu will gasp from time to time, she will smile widely when Taeyeon shares her story about Tiffany and how much she loves the woman, even squealing loudly, and Chuu cried when Taeyeon told her about the accident and how she can’t go up there, wandering for years because of regret and her love for Tiffany. 

 

“Man, that’s sad. But don’t worry, okay? I will help you. With... TADA!!”

 

Chuu shoved a bottle of shampoo to Taeyeon’s hand who accepted it despite her confusion.

 

“A.. shampoo?” Taeyeon asked, bewildered.

 

Seulgi snorted. Yeri did too and the duo didn’t even bother being subtle with it.

 

“Unnie, maybe fairy Chuu thinks your hair is smelly! You should wash your hair!” Yeri laughed.

 

Chuu pouted. “Hey, don’t be mean. That’s not nice.” Chuu softly reprimanded. And Yeri immediately shut and mumbled her sorry. 

 

“So, this is a magic shampoo. I made it by myself. This shampoo will help you to change your face into someone else. What you have to do is just wash your hair with this shampoo, and poof! Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter