No destination

MASQUERADE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Here is the other side of the story no one asked for! yayyyy~~ *dramatic drumroll*... Wheein's POV! :D

 

 

« ... that way our firm’s value will improve in 1.4% for the next semester. » Says one of the guys from the marketing team. I don’t need to note that down since all of it will be in-depth into the documents for this project.

 

« What about the new building in Beijing? Is the deal closed with the Chinese affiliates? » Now it’s the turn for my boss. It’s amazing how professional she is: always trying to be one step ahead from the client.

 

« Yes, it was closed this evening. I’ve sent all the important information to your email address. On the other hand, the opening party will be held next Friday. » That’s my cue. Time to note it down in my agenda.

 

I can see the day it’s pretty packed: from a couple of meetings in the morning, to a meal with an important political figure, to a public appearance in the late afternoon.

 

« I want to check it before that, so have it ready for next Tuesday. That's all for today's meeting. »

 

Never mind.

 

I cross out my unfinished annotation, and flip a couple of pages until I see “Tuesday” on the top of the white agenda. It’s still a busy day, but I won’t need to make big adjustments to clear a slot for the “revision” of the opening party.

 

With that, the meeting is over. Another usual Saturday 8pm meeting. I can tell everyone is greedy to go home. Their steps are rushed, and their faces light up a little. I should finish some documents too now that I have time.

 

It’s been a while since I sat back down in front of my desk. The documents I needed to finish are already done after a couple of hours.

 

My boss is still in her office. There is a translucid wall between the office and the rest of the floor, so all the employees can see when the boss is alone or in a private meeting.

 

I check the time. It's past 12.20am. I check my agenda again. I sigh: it’s another packed day tomorrow. More like today already. I shouldn’t let her work any longer…

 

Without thinking twice, I get up and approach her door. I knock a few times. It’s not like I expect an answer, so I invite myself into her office. Honestly, I don’t even know why I bother knocking. I guess it’s a mere thing of etiquette?

 

When I stand by her side, I summarize the schedule for the day. « Let me brief you tomorrow's schedule: You have a meeting with the heir of the Elihya family at 8.15am in the Grand Hotel of the 34th street. The car will be waiting for you at 6.45am in your apartment. After that at 11.30am, you have a golf game with the CEO of LaneTrends, Sr. Matthew. At 1.50pm the recital of- »

 

She raises her hand, effectively cutting me off. She doesn’t do it in a rude manner, and on top of that I can see how worn out she is: her eyebags are really prominent lately, her clothes look less fitted and she lacks joy, so I can’t really blame her for shushing me. It pains me how hollow she has become…

 

« It's enough for today, go home. I'll handle the rest myself. » There she is again. Pushing me away, not leaving anyone help her. I can’t do anything about it, she’s my boss after all. She’s the one that has the last word.

 

With reluctance I step out of the room, but I stop before leaving completely.

 

« You have a packed day tomorrow. You should rest or you'll fall sick… » She’s my boss and yet, I can’t help but show this side of me. Wheein, focus. « And we can’t risk that. » After that, I leave her office.

 

I can’t stand to be in the same space as her. I need to get some fresh air.

 

The streets are quite lively when I step outside the building. I can see a lot of groups enjoying a late-night drinking while some other smaller groups, couples to be exact, are enjoying their time together. I can’t feel but get jealous of them. It’s not fair. I want to date too, I want to show the world I can be happy too, that I finally found the one I want to spend the rest of my life with, but-

 

I’m sighing again. I got this bad habit and it’s hard to get rid of it. I read somewhere that everytime you sigh, a little bit of happiness leaves you. I normally wouldn’t believe it, but I feel… Tired. Not physically, but rather mentally. Is it that hard to be happy?

 

While I sit in a bench, far away from the lively atmosphere, drowning in my own thoughts, I see her. She enters a little and isolated bar, just in front of me. At this rate, I think destiny is playing games with me.

 

I deliberate between going home or stopping her on her fast consumption of alcohol. I’m worried about her and I can’t take my eyes from her through the glass window of the bar.

 

« Can I even stop her? » I ask myself.

 

A glass of whiskey. And another one. And another. I can’t stand it anymore.

 

Without thinking too much about it, I step into the bar. I feel like everything I do is on impulse. I don’t have control over my actions.

 

I sit in front of her, but she doesn’t realize. Her head is supported by her hand, while her eyes are cl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter