Vienna

MASQUERADE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

« ... that way our firm’s value will improve in 1.4% for the next semester. »

 

I nod in agreement. « What about the new building in Beijing? Is the deal closed with the Chinese affiliates? »

 

« Yes, it was closed this evening. I’ve sent all the important information to your email address. On the other hand, the opening party will be held next Friday. »

 

« I want to check it before that, so have it ready for next Tuesday. That's all for today's meeting. »

 

One by one, all of my employees leave the meeting room and are probably on their way to gather their belongings to go back home. I've been working harder than usual these past weeks because I want the opening to be successful, so here I am, having a meeting at 8pm on a Saturday night.

 

In my laptop multiple tabs are open. I switch between them, helping myself with the information to complete another offer my company will present briefly.

 

A knock on the door announces the presence of my secretary. She knows I won't bother telling her to enter, and immediately stands by my side.

 

« Let me brief you tomorrow's schedule: You have a meeting with the heir of the Elihya family at 8.15am in the Grand Hotel of the 34th street. The car will be waiting for you at 6.45am in your apartment. After that at 11.30am, you have a golf game with the CEO of LaneTrends, Sr. Matthew. At 1.50pm the recital of- »

 

I raise my hand, signaling her that I don't want to hear more of it. She will go over the schedule tomorrow morning once more anyway.

 

« It's enough for today, go home. I'll handle the rest myself. » I tell her. No other employee of mine stays this late and works as hard as her. I reward her well, her salary is considerably higher than the rest, and in her contract is specified that her holidays will be longer than the average. Yet here she is: Working her off to please a rude boss like me, not enjoying her vacations longer than a week per year and overworking almost every day.

 

With reluctance she steps out of the room, but she hesitates before leaving completely.

 

« You have a packed day tomorrow. You should rest or you'll fall sick… And we can’t risk that. »

 

Then she leaves.

 

I take a look at the clock. She's right; it's past 12.20am already. Time flies when I focus too much on a task... I guess I can leave the offer like it is, it's almost finished anyway.

 

I turn off my computer after saving the work. I stand up and approach the coat rack where my jacket is waiting for me. While dressing up, my own reflection stares back at me; I can see how deep and dark my eyebags have turned, and how worn out my appearance is.

 

It's okay. I won't collapse yet. I can continue.

 

Instead of going home, I wander in the streets outside my company. I don't feel like sleeping right now. Not because I’m not tired, but it's hard nowadays. Sleep won’t come easily, and when it does, it’s always accompanied by nightmares. In the exact moment I close my eyes, they come crushing my rest time. Again and again.

 

My feet bring me to a little and isolated bar a couple of blocks away where I ask for a glass of whiskey. One big gulp and I need to ask for a refill since it’s already empty.

 

After a few orders, when I can no longer remember how many I had, I move from the stall to one of the tables in the corner of the bar. It’s almost empty but I like to be alone, to not feel the stares on me, even if it's only from the bartender.

 

« I told you to rest. » A voice says.

 

I'm drunk. Wasted. But even in my worst condition, I can recognize the angelic voice easily.

 

« I could say the same to you, Wheein. »

 

« Work hours are over... Yongsun. I'm free to do whatever I want right now. »

 

There is a glint of sassiness in her voice, one that never appears in the work environment. There is a clear line between boss and secretary, she is not allowed to trespass that invisible boundary I have purposely drawn and redrawn since the start. I don't want to get close to her. I can't get close to her.

 

But I'm drawn to her. This invisibl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter