decisions and consequences

love is fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Marriage is supposed to be a sacred bond you share with your life partner - a bond that is built on love and understanding for your other half. Donghae has always looked forward to marry his soul mate and spend the rest of his life worshiping the ground his partner walks on.  He has always had high regards for the notion of marriage.

 

“What?!” He shouted in shock and disbelief. Inquiring eyes flickered between the young alpha and the old man.

 

Perhaps he heard it wrong. Marriage? With that vampire prince? That stinky blood creature? Never in his wildest dreams! Even thinking about it is a sin.

 

“Donghae,” his brother said calmly. “You don’t need to if you don’t want to.”

 

“Of course I don’t want to, hyung! What kind of question was that?” The denial was strong and clear. It didn’t come as a surprise for either Donghwa or Dong Hyun.

 

Donghae’s abhorrence for the vampires isn’t a secret. Werewolves aren’t generally fond of their arch nemesis. With time, they became more accepting but never fully opened up to the idea of sharing any bond with them. Tolerance was how far it went.

 

Donghwa smiled. He felt guilty for asking Donghae and upsetting him. He knew his brother better than anyone else. Donghae would have never agreed and gotten angry by hearing the offer, and that’s what happened. He shouldn’t have asked in the first place. Technically, it wasn’t him. But he was intending to.  

 

Vampires didn’t just come with an offer of marriage. They came with a threat.  If this union didn’t happen, many lives would be at stake. But he can’t force his brother to spend his life with someone whom he loathed. Donghae was not just his brother. He was a member of his pack. What kind of alpha would he be if he forced his pack member to do something against his wishes?

 

“Okay,” Donghwa nodded. He’s rather fight than bow-down-to-those-vampires kind anyway. “I’m sorry for asking you.”

 

Donghae pouted. “You should have known, hyung.”

 

“I knew it Donghae,” Donghwa put an arm around Donghae’s shoulder. “I was just confirming it.”

 

“Don’t ask me something like that again, hyung. Don’t let those vampires inside this territory again. I don’t like them.” He continued to complain.

 

“Yeah, yeah, I know. I’m sorry.” Donghwa patted his head. “Please forgive me.”

 

“Of course I forgive you hyung,”. He hugged his brother. “After all I love you so much.”

 

“I love you too, Donghae.”

 

** **

 

“What are you doing?” Uncle Dong Hyun asked Donghwa as soon as Donghae left. Donghwa dropped his smile. His face became devoid of any expressions. A scolding was coming but his uncle needed to understand. He was the alpha and it was his decision that everyone had to accept.

 

“You just saw.” Donghwa shrugged and went behind his table.

 

“Do you know that this means? This is equivalent to declaring war on vampires.” His uncle growled.

 

“I did not declare any war on them. Neither am I planning to. But I will be prepared in case they try to attack us.” He started scrolling through the contacts.

 

“You are acting rashly, young man! This is not a quality of good alpha.” Uncle Dong Hyun jabbed, his fae red and jaw tight.

 

“I know how to be an alpha. I’m doing my job here, uncle. As an alpha, I can’t force my pack members to do something they don’t want to.” Donghwa reasoned.

 

“Do you understand the gravity of the situation? This will lead to a war. A war between vampires and werewolves haven’ happened in a long time. You’re calling for it because of one boy.” Dong Hyun ran a wrinkled hand through his curly grey hair.

 

The alpha glared at his uncle. “That boy is my brother.” He spoke in a deadly calm voice. “I will not let him become a lamb of sacrifice.”

 

“You’re willing to sacrifice the whole pack then, huh?” Uncle Dong Hyun scoffed. 

 

“I won’t listen to those vampires.” Donghwa growled. “I want to give them a message that they can’t make us do anything under the threat of war.”

 

“Too many lives are at stake!” Uncle Dong Hyun shook his head. “You’re going to regret this.”

 

“I won’t. We are going to win in the end.” Donghwa said with conviction. Uncle Dong Hyun narrowed his eyes. His face turned red with contained anger.

 

“It’s not about victory or loss. The blood, the pain, the despair – everything that comes with a war isn’t worth it. You are blinded by your love for your brother. You are unable to see how many of us will end up losing our loved ones because of your stubbornness. Don’t act like a fool!” A tight fist slammed on table. The thud resonated against the pale walls and wooden furniture.

 

Donghwa in a sharp breath. His eyes wavered with the impact of those words. Deep down in his heart, he knew those words were right. A war was never a solution. But he was not a coward to take the easy way out. They were free creatures. What kind of freedom would it be if he couldn’t stand for what was right? He knew for sure that those vampires were wrong. He couldn’t let them win by letting his unwilling brother marry to the vampire prince.

 

“I understand where you are coming from.” Donghwa sighed. “I can’t say you are wrong. But just like you, I’m thinking about our pack too. Today, they are asking Donghae’s hand for marriage. If we comply, do you think they will stop there? They will want more and more. I can’t let that happen.”

 

“If that happens then we can go for a war. Right now, we should rather focus on settling it with peace.”

 

“Sorry uncle,” Donghwa shook his head. “As I said before, I won’t let Donghae become a lamb of sacrifice. This discussion ends here now.” He said as Dong Hyun opened his mouth to protest. “Donghae is not going to marry that vampire prince.”

 

Knowing that persuading Donghwa won’t be of any use, Dong Hyun left the room. The pack wasn’t prepared for a war. He knew Donghwa wasn’t prepared for it.

 

** **

 

Donghae was lying on his bed. Wide eyes were staring at a point on the ceiling. His mind was still huddled by the conversation he shared with his brother. The idea of marrying a vampire repulsed him. A bad-mannered vampire prince on the top of that. That insolent creature called him a blind dog. No one ever dared to talk that rudely to him. Now that creature, a vampire, insults him in his own house. Blasphemous!

 

As he stared longer at the ceiling, he remembered those eyes. Those dark eyes. There was something about them that made Donghae shiver. It wasn’t exactly fear but something closer to that. Whenever he shut his eyelashes, those dark eyes would stare at him, watch him.

 

Turning on the bed, Donghae hugged a pillow. He was not going to marry that vampire or any vampire for the matter. It was impossible. He can never spend his life with a bloodsucking creature.

 

Suddenly, the walls around him, a pale blue color, appeared to turn into darker shades of blue until they were dark. Evening sun was drowning in the canopy of trees that stretched miles away from the window of his room. Cold. Lonely. That’s how he felt. Shooting out of the bed, he escaped into the kitchen. At this time of the day, that place was the liveliest in the house.

 

It didn’t take Donghae more than half a minute to blend into the bustle of the kitchen. Like a child, his uneasiness about the marriage proposal from the vampires was gone. He was arguing with Yoona and Yuri while cutting vegetables in Yunho’s supervision.

 

Someone who thinks he has just dodged a disastrous marriage is more relieved than the one who is aware of the impeding war because of this. Dong Hyun knows vampires well. During his lifetime, he has seen the dark side of the war. He has known vampires. He has seen it in the eyes of the vampire prince. Those eyes make him shiver. Those dark eyes are thirsty of blood. One mistake and it will be a bloodshed. Donghwa knows the danger but doesn’t know the consequences.

 

“Yuri,” Uncle Dong Hyun entered the kitchen. He had a smile on his face. A slanted one. That’s how he smiled. Everyone was used to it.

 

“Yes, uncle,” Yuri flashed a pretty smile of her own.

 

“How’s Minho?” He inquired.

 

Yuri pouted at the mention of her mate. “He’s good.”

 

“Did he give any details on when he’s going to return?”

 

“Not yet, I hope he will return soon.”

 

“That may not happen. There are dangerous creatures around. Our warriors need to be prepared.”

 

Yuri lowered her head at that.

 

“But I’m sure he will come back to you. After all, he loves you so much.”

 

She brightened on hearing that and nodded.

 

Donghae heard their conversation. He was confused. Why was Dong Hyung talking about sad things? Minho was one of the best warriors of their pack and Yuri’s fiancé. They were soon going to marry. Minho had told Donghae about his plans. What did Uncle Dong Hyun mean by not return soon? He was going to return and marry Yuri, the girl he loved.

 

** **

 

Hyukjae put the phone down. He bit the inside of his cheek. Donghwa had made his decision. It was a fifty-fifty chance. But well. He was prepared for either outcome. He just didn’t think werewolves would be that stupid.

 

“Dahyun!” Hyukjae called and a beautiful short woman appeared on the door.

 

“Yes, Prince?” The woman said.

 

Her eyes feel on the handsome prince standing next to his table. The room was dark. A lamp near the window was the only source of light. But Hyukjae was accustomed to this darkness. He loved this darkness. From the fiery red hue of his hair, she knew that it was about werewolves. A war was coming. Very soon.

 

“Is everyone ready?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Good. We’re leaving tomorrow evening.”

 

“Okay, sir.”

 

** **

 

“That Vampire Prince was completely smitten by you.” Yoona teased Donghae. They were strolling outside after dinner.

 

Donghae rolled his eyes. “He was a lecher.”

 

Everyone laughed.

 

“Did you just call the Vampire Prince a lecher?” Minhyuk couldn’t believe his ears. But it won’t be Donghae if he didn’t say something outrageous. Minhyuk was a tall, lean boy and someone Donghae doted on.

 

“Yes, he was. And insanely rude too.”

 

“You weren’t very polite either.” Ryeowook added. “I thought you were going to claw their eyes out.”

 

“I might have. It was so uncomfortable. They smell ew.” Donghae made a face.

 

“Only you. Donghae.” Yoona rolled her eyes. “Did you look at them? They were beautiful.” She said with wide eyes. Remembering their faces was like remembering a beautiful scenery.

 

“You seem to love them so much.” Donghae squinted his eyes. “Why don’t you go and marry one of them?”

 

“If I’m given a chance, I surely will.” She stuck out her tongue. Donghae made a motion to lunge at her. She danced away, laughing, and disappearing back into their house.

 

“Betrayer,” Donghae muttered under his breath. He missed Yoona’s tense posture and she left.

 

“Where’s Yuri?” Ryeowook wondered. She always joined them. Along with Yunho and Changmin. They weren’t around either. “Chanmgin and Yunho too.”

 

“Yuri got a call.” Minhyuk told them. “From Minho.”

 

“Minho?” Donghae and Ryeowook chimed. “What did he say? Is he coming?”

 

Minhyuk shook his head. He placed the index finger of his right hand on his lips. “Don’t talk too loudly. I think it’s supposed to be confidential. I happened to hear something important today.”

 

“What is it?” Donghae whispered. They brought their heads together for a secret conversation.

 

“It seems like there’s going to be a war.” Minhyuk didn’t beat around the bush.

 

“A WAR!” Neither Donghae nor Ryeowook could hold back their shock. Minhyuk started doing ‘shhh’.

 

“You two are going to get me in trouble.” He scolded them.

 

“Wh-what is it about?” Ryeowook further inquired.

 

“I don’t know more than that. Only that we are going to get in a war with someone. Minho will come back late.”

 

“Who is this someone?” Donghae asked. Minhyuk didn’t know the answer.

 

“Is that the reason why Yunho and Changmin aren’t here?” Ryeowook wondered. “They are also warriors.”

 

“!” Donghae swore. “A war? Hyung didn’t tell me about it. It can’t be so. If that was the case, hyung would have told me. I think you are mistaken.” He ranted. He didn’t know whether he was telling those words to Minhyuk or to himself.

 

It was all so peaceful. Everything was peaceful. A war? No way. There hasn’t been a war in years. Disagreements with other packs? Yes. But war? No.

 

“Maybe Donghwa hyung is hiding it from you.” Ryeowook told Donghae. “We know he doesn’t tell you about serious stuff.”

 

Painful but true words. Donghwa never tells him about serious matters. At the age of eighteen, he’s still treated like a child. Donghae loves being pampered. But he does not like being left out of important stuff either.

 

But Donghwa did tell him about that marriage proposal. That cocky vampire prince thought Lee Donghae would marry him! Lee Donghae and a vampire?

 

That was beside the point. Right now, there was a war. What kind of war was it? A serious one or a simple one? What is a simple war anyway? He didn’t know. But he still hoped it was a simple one.

 

** **

 

Donghae tried to find Yuri but failed to do so. He couldn’t find his brother either. That evening, when Donghae ran into someone, it was either fate or a calculated mov by the shrewd old man. It was uncle Dong Hyun who caught him alone under the moonlight.

 

“What are you doing here, young man?” There was a smile on Dong Hyun’s face. His face was lit by the dim light of moon.

 

“I’m searching for Yuri.” Donghae replied. He regretted it right away. Probably should have answered another answer. Dong Hyun doesn’t seem to like him. He always finds faults in Donghae’s incapability as Alpha’s younger brother.

 

A sympathetic look on Dong Hyun’s face was the least of Donghae’s expectations.  He had often encountered the attacks of cold

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter