Preparation

Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

July 4th, 2020…

Eugene and Da Reum found their way into a meeting room at the SBS Broadcasting Center in Seoul. They are supposed to have a meeting with Bo Pil PD about a special segment for her Kwang Soo’s 35th birthday. For 3 years dating the famous actor, Eugene never lied to him about anything, even on his past birthdays. While some people lied to their couple for the sake of a birthday surprise, but due to both of their busy schedules, they found it easier to plan things ahead so their work won’t clashes.

As the global pandemic hit, Eugene found herself bored with how slow things run nowadays. Last week, Jae Seok oppa called if she wanted to do a special segment for Kwang Soo’s birthday and she agreed right away.

Eugene told Da Reum to call her at 10 a.m to make an excuse to go out as Kwang Soo oppa had a day off too, as the invitation to make a special segment came a little late, he already knew that Eugene didn’t have to go to work on that particular Saturday.

On Eugene’s line of work, major changes happened on a random day most of the time. So getting a work call on a day off is a normal thing for Eugene. So exactly at 10 a.m, Da Reum called in the middle of Eugene’s late breakfast. Kwang Soo oppa who was already up and lounging in front of the TV, of course, listened in on his girlfriend’s conversation with her assistant. He went as far as pouted of being left alone on a day off and Eugene laughed at his pleading eyes, apologizing about it and left immediately.

“Miss Kim, thanks for agreeing to come today.” Bo Pil PD greeted.

“Oppa you’ve known me for years, just Eugene is fine.” Eugene used to come to the set if they have a shoot until late at night, she found watching them live is more fun rather than watching the one broadcasted at a national TV.

“So what’s the plan, oppa? I’m actually so excited to do this.”

Bo Pil chuckled at her excitement. “We actually had an idea to break into his house like years ago, showing unexpectedly. Do you know if he actually had a day off on his birthday?”

Eugene nodded. “We will have dinner with his family the night before his birthday but he will have the actual birthday off.”

Bo Pil wrote something on his iPad note. “Do you have anything planned that day?” Eugene shook her head this time.

“We usually stay in during the actual birthdays, but I booked a 3 days 2 night trip the day after his birthday.”

“Perfect. So we have a window of full day on his actual birthday?”

“Yes if that means you’ll break into our place, he will be annoyed but happy too.”

Bo Pil laughed, Eugene is a joy to everyone around her. “That’s the plan. Nothing fancy, we broke in with all of the members, annoy him, let the members delivered their own gift and close the episode with that.”

“Okay, sounds good. May I know how long is the duration for the special segment?”

“Around 15 minutes as we’re squeezing it on 2 episodes’ schedule, thankfully everyone had some time to spare on the actual birthday.”

“Good, good. It will be fun. Do you need me to do anything? I’d rather know it beforehand as I rarely had my phone with me when I’m taking a day off.”

Bo Pil took out a paper from his journal’s pocket and hand it to Eugene.

“This is the things we need to know before the actual day, you can take your time to fill everything and send it back to us at least 3 days before his birthday.”

The form asked about which part of the house is prohibited to shoot, if we had branded things on the wall, stuff like that.

“Not a problem, Da Reum will email you the complete list probably… tomorrow morning?” Eugene checked on her assistant who nodded firmly, this is a simple task for Da Reum.

“Sounds good, that’s about all I think. Nothing fancy, just like friends surprising another friend, but with lots of cameras following around.” Bo Pil joked.

“He will love and hate it at the same time, I’m 100% sure.”

The meeting ended less than an hour, Eugene decided to have a late lunch outside with Da Reum to talk about work a little bit. Eugene chose a little chicken restaurant near the SBS building. 15 minutes into the late lunch, the restaurant’s front door opened and Eugene was surprised to see her boyfriend, his manager and Jong Kook oppa.

“Oh , think something fast, Da Reum.” It was Kwang Soo oppa’s manager who  spotted the panicking women. “Go with everything I said, eonnie.”

“Yah you think I can lie on the spot?” Eugene hissed.

“Eugene? I thought you were on a meeting?” Of course he would ask her first.

“Hm oppa, we’re just grabbing a quick lunch before heading back.”

“Oh? Isn’t this too far from your office?” Kwang Soo pressed.

“The meeting was in SBS, oppa.” Da Reum took over the lie.

“Ye? What is it about?” To Eugene’s relief, Kwang Soo turned his attention to Da Reum. “We’re still not quite sure yet, it’s a new project.”

“Aah, I see. Can’t you stay for a bit? We didn’t have breakfast together this morning.” He had a gym session first thing in the morning and he usually ate with his gym buddies, so it was true, they didn’t eat breakfast together earlier.

“We’re actually heading back to the office now, oppa. Da Reum, call Mr. Cho please.” Eugene packed her handbag before hugging her boyfriend. “I’ll see you at home, oppa.”

Eugene and Da Reum basically ran out of the restaurant. “We didn’t sound strange, right?”

“We avoid a crisis, eonnie.” Eugene groaned. “Why did I agree to this again?”

Da Reum chuckled. “I don’t know, eonnie. It is quite tiring.”

Later that night…

Eugene was busy typing replies to emails from the operational manager when Kwang Soo plopped down the bed beside her. “Busy?”

Eugene shook her head. “Just a moment, it’s the last one.”

“I thought you ended up working full-time today?” Kwang Soo asked, laying his head on Eugene’s stomach. “Hm? I went back before 5.”

Eugene spent about 5 minutes making sure she already listed everything the operational manager asked before finally closing her laptop. Eugene knew her boyfriend had something to say when he stayed around her when she’s working. If he didn’t have things to say, he’d be on the living room already playing his damned PlayStation or something.

“Okay oppa I’m done, do you have something to say?”

He genuinely looked confused, but Eugene knew him better. “Oh, did I?”

“Out with it oppa, now.”

“You really are scary, Kim Eugene.” Eugene grinned at that.

“Am I? Still not scarier than Jong Kook oppa, right?” She joked. “Of course not, don’t talk about him on our bed, please.” He groaned, probably remembering something from his last encounter with the bulky, scary co-stars.

“Arasseo, now tell what’s on your mind?”

Kwang Soo oppa thought for a second before surprising Eugene with his question.

“Can we go on a staycation on my birthday?”

Eugene gulped. “Oh? Aren’t we going for the weekend?”

“I know, but I had this one place in mind for a while, it’s a really fancy hotel in Japan…”

“What did you say?” Eugene cut him off.

“A hotel in Japan…”

“Absolutely not.” Eugene cut him again.

“Ah whyyyy?” he whined, like a childish man he is. “We always spend the actual birthday at home, it’s our tradition, oppa.” Eugene argued. “And how can we go to Japan for only a day?”

“It’s possible. We did it on Running Man..” He tried.

“Not a chance. We’re already going somewhere for the weekend, so no. Next time, maybe. Or you can tell your manager to call Da Reum to set the dates, we’re staying in for your birthday.”

“Shouldn’t I be the one to decide it? It’s my birthday after all,” Eugene felt like he had something else to say but he chose to hide it, but Eugene can’t possibly go to Japan because of her promise to the Running Man team.

“I’m so sorry oppa, I had things planned for the weekend, if we take a round-trip to Japan, we’ll be too tired.” She tried ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter