The beginning part 2

Birth of the Black and White Pearls (Revised)

Kalia’s POV


Turning around to look at Ānela, she looked like she was about to say something but before she could, there was a knock on my door. “I got it” I say before walking to my door and opening it to see a tall man standing there. I had never seen him before but he looked like he knew me, I assumed that meant he knew my sisters which was strange since she usually kept to herself and I knew her two best friends. Still I greeted the man, “Hi! Is there something I can help you with?” 

His eyes went from me to Ānela, before he said “I am here to tell you that your father would like to speak with you tonight.” 

“Our father? You work for our dad, I’ve never seen you before.” I say confused. Dad owned a company but i knew most of his close employees and I know he wouldn’t send someone knew to fetch us. 

Behind me, Ānela says "You mean our biological father, don’t you?” her tone was dark. She always had an attitude whenever we heard or spoke about our real father. 

The man took her tone cooly and responded "Yes, he will stop by later tonight to speak to you both. You will see me around, I will be guarding you two from afar." and with that he smiled and walked away before either of us could respond. 

I slowly shut the door and turn around to see an angry Ānela. Sighing, I walk over to her and sat her on the bed beside me. She never liked our father, since he left us and mom when we were babies. 

"Why is he back? He rarely ever came to see us." Ānela fumed quietly. She didn't want anyone to accidentally hear her, and I agree, no one needs to know about our broken family. 

I wrap my arms around her and whisper, "Maybe he just wants to give us a present, it is our birthday today." I never really held a grudge for what our father did, I saw how it affected Ānela and I didn't want to add to her anger with my own. Besides, he must have had his own reasons. 

Ānela looked at me, clearly upset but she shook her head and said "lets just go see mom." with that she stood and grabbed her bag before walking out the door. 

I had to run after her, she was already halfway down the hall before I had shut the door behind me. Finally catching up, we walked in silence to her car. Moms house was 20 minutes away, 

While Ānela drove, I sat in the passenger side, thinking about our dad. He had disappeared when we were 6 months old, mom had no idea where he went. He had handed her a divorce paper and walked out the door before she could say anything. It took her a year to sign the papers, our step-dad helped her through it all. The three had been childhood friends, and the sudden loss of their friend was hard, but he knew that she needed to move on. He saw how it hurt her, and he had always loved her. He slowly won mom over and within two years they had gotten married. 

I loved our step-dad like he was our real dad, and I saw it as a blessing that our dad had disappeared. Our parents were made for each other, and if our dad hadn't left, they wouldn't be together. Pulling myself from my thoughts, I realize we just pulled into the driveway of our parents house. 

Ānela was clearly still not happy about what had just happened but she slowly calmed down before we made it to our parents house. We got out of the car and walked to the front door, I held Ānela's hand to comfort her, and knocked on the door. 


A/N- how is it so far? I would love some feedback. Thanks for reading! :)