Four

The Red String

The next day, Sujeong and Inseong are in the kitchen eating the stuffed wings that Sujeong made yesterday.

"Mmm," Inseong hums. "I missed your cooking."

"Mom and dad tried it yesterday, they really liked it," Sujeong says. "I'm waiting for the pork belly you'll make."

"Should I make that today," he asks.

"I don't mind when, but I think you should rest instead."

"I got my rest last night. I have full energy again. I can totally make it. While I make it, I don't want you in the kitchen."

"Why not?"

"Because you'll help me. I don't want you to help me."

"Fine," Sujeong replies. 

"Before that," Inseong says. "I have to give you your gift." He washes his hands before he takes Sujeong's hand. "Let's go." Inseong takes Sujeong to their room. Inseong gives Sujeong a box and a bag.

"Which one should I open first," Sujeong asks.

"Open the box first," Inseong says.

Sujeong walks over to the bed and sets the bag on the bed.

Inseong follows her.

She opens the box and unfolds the tissue paper. A beautiful pair of white heels greet her. 

Sujeong gasps. 

"Do you like it," he asks.

"Do I like it," she asks. "This is the first pair of heels I've ever had." 

"They're yours. If you want more, I will gladly buy it for you."

"Inseong, all you do is give to me. I don't know how to repay you."

"Repay me with your love. That's all I want."

Sujeong is touched.

"Want to try it on," he asks.

She nods her head. Sujeong sits on the bed, while Inseong puts the heels on her.

"There," Inseong says.

Sujeong chuckles. "I've never worn heels before."

"Stand up."

She does. "Woah," she says. "I feel so tall."

She takes a few steps and falters.

Inseong catches her.

"Are you okay," he asks.

She nods her head.

"Should we take them off," he asks.

She nods her head.

Inseong helps Sujeong to the bed. Sujeong sits down, and Inseong takes off the heels.

"Open the bag," Inseong says.

Sujeong stands up and grabs the bag and opens it. She takes out a creamed colored dress. Sujeong gasps. 

"Do you like it," Inseong asks.

"It's beautiful," Sujeong awes. 

"Try it. I want to see you in the dress."

She nods her head.

"I'll step out," he says.

He does.

Sujeong changes into the dress. She goes open the door and peeks her head out.

"I'm done," she says.

Inseong walks in and closes the door. He looks at her and smiles.

"Beautiful," he says. He can't keep his eyes off of her. "There's something else," he says.

"What," she asks.

Inseong walks over to the bag and pulls out a diamond necklace. 

Sujeong gasps. Her eyes widen.

"Is that real diamond," she asks.

"Of course," he replies.

"Inseong, I don't think I can accept that. It's too much."

Inseong puts the necklace around her neck.

"It's beautiful," he says. "You look amazing."

Sujeong touches the necklace.

"I don't think I can accept these," she says. "I feel burdened."

He nods his head. "Okay," he says. "I promise I won't buy you expensive gifts anymore unless you want it. Will you still accept these?"

She nods her head. "No more though," she says.

Inseong nods his head. He smiles and squishes her cheeks.

"I want to pamper you," he says. "You're so lovable and cute."

Sujeong removes his hand. "That hurts," she says.

"Sorry. Go ahead and change. I'll step out."

Inseong is waiting for Sujeong outside the bedroom. He hears Sujeong open the door.

"Inseong," Sujeong says. 

He turns around. She is peeking her head out the door.

"I need your help," Sujeong says.

Inseong walks in. She has taken off the necklace.

"I can't reach the zipper," she says.

Sujeong turns around and Inseong walks over to her. He s the dress. As he does so, her slowly reveals to him. He takes a quiet deep breath to calm himself.

"There," Inseong says. 

"Thank you," Sujeong says. She still has her back toward him.

"I'll step out again," he says. 

Inseong closes the door behind him and puts his hand on his beating heart. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. 

"Calm down," Inseong tells himself. "Calm down, Inseong."

Sujeong comes out from the room.

"The pork belly," Sujeong says.

Inseong nods his head.

After a few hours, Inseong is finally done. Sujeong and him are in the kitchen. Sujeong is trying the pork belly he made.

"Mmm," Sujeong chews. "It's a little dry," she says. "Also, bland."

Inseong frowns.

"Really," he asks. "It's that bad?"

"Can I help you fix it," she asks.

He nods his head.

She puts more seasoning on the pork belly and mixes them. Sujeong puts the pork belly in the oven. When the pork belly is ready, she takes out the pan and gives Inseong a bite.

"Mmm," Inseong hums. "It tastes so much better than before."

Sujeong laughs. She takes a bite.

Inseong takes another bite.

His parents are looking at them from afar.

"We made the right decision," his mother says. "They seem to get along very well."

"Yes," his father says. "They look lovely together."

"She's making him do things he's never done before. I love this girl." They smile happily for them.

Sujeong reaches up and wipes the stain on Inseong's cheek.

"You've worked hard," Sujeong says. "I'm proud of you."

"Thank you," Inseong says.

That night, Sujeong is in deep sleep, but Inseong can't fall asleep. He's staring at her sleeping face. Inseong wants to cuddle with her, but he's afraid she's going to be surprised. The last time he did something he wanted, she was running away from him. He doesn't want that anymore, so he holds himself back.

 

"I have another business trip,” Inseong tells Sujeong. “This time, I’ll be gone for three weeks.”

Sujeong nods her head. “Like always,” Sujeong says. “I wish you a safe trip from there and back.”

“Actually, my business trip isn’t that far this time. I was wondering if you wanted to come along.”

“Me?”

Inseong nods his head. “I’ll be going to Jejudo. Will you come with me?”

“Really,” she asks.

He nods his head. “We can extend the trip if you want. In the first three weeks of this trip, I’ll be very busy with work. I’ll have a few hours of free time only, so if you want, we can extend the trip to another three weeks, so we can have time to ourselves.”

“I don’t think extending the trip will be necessary. The three weeks should be fine.”

“We won’t have a lot of time together. We won’t be able to sightsee.”

“That’s fine. As long as we’re together.”

Inseong smiles.

 

The two of them check into their hotel room. Sujeong opens the bedroom door, and a big bed greets her. She walks into the bedroom and sets her luggage beside the bed.

“If you’re tired, you can go ahead and sleep,” Inseong says. “I have to attend a meeting.”

Sujeong faces him and nods her head. 

“I’ll be back around three,” Inseong says.

“Okay,” Sujeong says. “I’ll be here.”

Inseong walks over to her and gives her a hug. She hugs him back.

“Call food service if you’re hungry,” Inseong says.

She nods her head.

The time is three. Inseong returns from his meeting. The room is quiet. He walks over to the bedroom and sees Sujeong asleep. Inseong approaches her and leans down to give her a peck on the forehead. He fixes the blanket on her and exits the room. He closes the door and heads to the kitchen. On the table, he sees food and a note.

“If you haven’t eaten, enjoy.”

He knows the note is from Sujeong. He sits down and starts eating. Inseong feels so happy to have Sujeong in his life. 

Sujeong wakes up and walks into the living room. She sees Inseong sleeping on the couch. She squats down and slightly touches his hair.

Inseong opens his eyes.

“Sorry,” Sujeong says. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

He grabs her hand and places her hand on his cheek.

“It’s okay,” he says. “I need to wake up anyway.”

Inseong lets her go and sits up. She sits next to him.

“Did you eat yet,” she asks.

He nods his head.

“Are you hungry,” he asks, “We can call food service again.”

Sujeong shakes her head.

Inseong stands up and heads to the bathroom. He comes out looking fresh. Inseong steps into the bedroom and grabs his laptop before he goes back to the living room.

Sujeong is in the kitchen eating an apple.

“I’m going to have a video conference,” Inseong says. “It probably won’t take long, but I just wanted to let you know.”

Sujeong nods her head. “Okay.”

But the video conference takes longer than expected.

Inseong is still in the living room while Sujeong is in the bedroom on her phone. She hears him talking in English. Then he’s speaking Japanese. Then, he’s speaking Chinese.

“What is he saying,” she asks herself. “I don’t understand, but he sounds cool.”

Another hour goes by, and Inseong is finally done. He comes into the bedroom and lies in bed. Sujeong looks at him. His eyes are closed.

“Wash up before you go to bed,” she says.

“I’m too tired,” Inseong says. “That conference took way longer than I expected.”

“You should still go wash up before going to bed.”

Inseong opens his eyes.

“Thank you,” Inseong says. “For being here with me. When I go on these business trips, I always feel lonely, but with you here with me, even though I’m tired, I’m so happy.” He takes her hand. “I love you.” He closes his eyes.

Sujeong smiles. 

The next day, Inseong is out having meetings again. When he comes back, he heads right to bed again. 

As Sujeong is lying in bed with him, she thinks to herself.

“He has to do this for three weeks,” she says. “It’s only day two, and he’s already so tired. Is there anything I can do to help him?”

She tries her best to do anything to help him relax. Sujeong makes sure there is food for Inseong, and she makes sure to give him encouraging words. Other than that, she doesn’t know what else to do.