Three

The Red String

Sujeong and Inseong have everything packed and ready to go, so that later they can leave.

“Before you go,” the stepmother says. “I still want you to wash those sheets.”

“Sure,” Sujeong says.

“They’re in the laundry basket.”

“Okay.”

Sujeong washes the sheets by hand outside.

Inseong follows her out there.

“Don’t you have a washing machine,” Inseong asks.

“Stepmother prefers me to wash laundry by hand,” Sujeong replies. “She thinks washing them like this is cleaner than having them be washed in the machine.”

“Ahh.”

He knows that the stepmother is just trying to intimidate Sujeong, but he won’t say anything for the best. Instead, he’ll help her. Inseong bends down and starts washing the sheet.

“You’re making me feel bad,” Sujeong says.

“Why,” he asks.

“You grew up with a gold spoon. Your parents never made you work around the house. Me, on the other hand, I grew up working around the house. I had to and still work, or I won’t have food on my plate. Since you’ve known me, and since we’ve been here, all you’ve done is help me around the house.”

“Why does that matter? I enjoy helping you. I want to help you. You and I will be together forever. No matter what, I can do anything for you, so don’t worry about it.”

Sujeong feels touched.

After they wash the sheets, Inseong is hanging them on the clothesline since he is the taller one.

Sujeong grabs the last sheet in the basket and throws it on the line. She tiptoes to spread the sheet.

Inseong walks over to her and helps her.

“Thank you,” Sujeong says.

“You’re welcome,” Inseong replies.

She helps him spread the sheet out. The sheets are bellowing in the wind.

Inseong smiles at her. Seeing her small figure reaching for the sheets makes him fall in love with her. He’s fallen in love with her every second of every day this weekend, and from today onwards, he will always love her.

“There,” Sujeong says. “All done. We can go inside now.”

Sujeong turns to walk away, but Inseong catches her hand. He pulls her to him.

She gasps.

Inseong leans down and presses his lips on hers.

Sujeong’s eyes widens. She pushes him away.

“What are you doing,” she asks shocked. “You just,” she pauses. She covers with her hands.

“I’m sorry,” he says. “I didn’t mean to surprise you.”

Sujeong turns around and runs away.

“Sujeong,” Inseong calls.

He follows her.

“Are you done,” the stepmother asks.

“Yes,” Sujeong replies.

She quickly walks to her bedroom.

Inseong enters the house.

“Where is Sujeong,” Inseong asks.

“In her bedroom,” the stepmother replies.

Inseong walks in that direction.

“Did something happen,” the father asks.

Sujeong sits on the bed. Her hand is on her lips. The kiss repeats in her head. She can still feel his lips on hers. Sujeong feels her cheeks flush. Her heart is pounding like crazy.

The door opens making Sujeong jump on her feet.

Inseong walks in and closes the door behind him.

“Sujeong,” Inseong says.

“Yeah,” she asks.

He takes a step toward her.

Sujeong takes a step back and falls on the bed.

Inseong stops.

“I apologize for what I did,” Inseong says. “I promise it won’t happen again until you’re ready.”

“I’m sorry,” Sujeong says. “It was just so sudden.”

“It was my fault.”

Inseong sees that Sujeong isn’t even looking at him. He approaches her and kneels in front of her. He takes her hand.

Sujeong’s breath hitches. She feels her cheeks flush again.

Inseong sees and smiles.

“You’re blushing,” he says.

Sujeong takes a deep breath.

“How cute,” he says.

She blushes even more. Sujeong takes her hand away from his and cups her cheeks.

“You ran away because you were embarrassed,” Inseong asks.

“Stop,” Sujeong whines. She buries her face into her hands.

Inseong laughs. “You’re too cute,” he says.

He removes her hand away from her face. Inseong holds onto her hand and looks into her eyes.

“I’ll wait for you,” he says. He smiles at her. “Let’s go home.”

 

Inseong helps Sujeong set up her teddy bears in their room after they arrive home. After they finish, Sujeong can’t help but feel happy. 

“Sujeong,” Inseong says. He gives her a bag. “I have a present for you.”

Sujeong accepts the bag and looks inside. She takes out a teddy bear. 

“Since teddy bears are a big part of your life, I thought I should add to it,” Inseong says. “Every time you look at this teddy bear, I hope you are reminded of me.”

“Thank you,” Sujeong says. “I love it.”

 

“Sujeong,” Inseong says. “I have a business trip I have to attend.”

“When will you be gone,” Sujeong asks.

“On Monday,” he replies.

“For how long?”

“A month.”

She gives him a hug. “Have a safe trip and come back safely.”

He hugs her back. “I will. Wait for me.”

She nods her head.

At nights when Sujeong is sleeping by herself, she would hold the teddy bear that Inseong bought her. Sleeping with that bear makes her miss him a little less than she already is, but she still wants him back.

 

[A month goes by]

 

Sujeong is in the kitchen making the stuffed wings that Inseong likes. Since he is coming home today, she wants to give him a present.

Night comes and Sujeong has finished cooking, but Inseong hasn’t returned.

It’s getting late. Everyone is already set for bed except Sujeong. She is in the living room waiting for Inseong. 

“Sujeong,” her mother in law says. “Why don’t you go to bed? Inseong will be back tonight for sure.”

“You can go to sleep first, mother,” Sujeong says. “I’ll wait for Inseong.”

“Okay. Go to bed when you’re tired.”

Sujeong nods her head.

The time is eleven at night. Sujeong is in bed. She had fallen asleep while waiting for Inseong. 

Inseong walks through the bedroom door. He closes the door and sees Sujeong sleeping in bed. She isn't even wearing her pajamas. Inseong walks over to her and fixes her hair. He leans down and kisses her forehead.

Sujeong wakes up.

"Inseong," she says. "You're back."

He smiles and nods his head.

"Why aren't you in your pajamas," he asks.

"I was waiting for you," she says.

"You should've just gone to bed."

Sujeong sits up, and Inseong sits beside her.

"You must be tired," she says.

He nods his head.

"Let's get ready for bed then," she says.

He nods his head.

The two of them lie in bed together facing one another.

"How was the trip," she asks him. "Everything went well?"

He nods his head.

"I'm glad," she says.

"Did you miss me," he asks. "I missed you."

Sujeong nods her head. "I missed you a lot. I even slept with the teddy bear you bought me, so I could fall asleep at night."

"Really," he asks amused. "I'm glad I bought that for you. That reminds me, I have a gift for you."

"You can give it to me tomorrow. Let's go to sleep. I also have a gift for you."

He smiles and closes his eyes.

"I can't wait," he says sleepily.

Sujeong caresses his cheek.

Inseong lifts his hand up and places his hand on hers.

"I love you," Sujeong whispers.