Two

The Red String

A few days go by. 

Sujeong is in the kitchen grabbing a drink to hopefully get rid of her lightheaded feeling. 

"Sujeong," Inseong calls.

She turns around and sees Inseong walking up to her.

"I want a drink too," he says.

"Sure," she replies.

Sujeong opens the fridge and reaches for a water bottle, but she feels her head sway. Sujeong cups her head and closes her eyes before she blacks out.

Inseong catches Sujeong.

"Sujeong," Inseong says worriedly. "Are you okay?" He touches her head. "Oh my gosh you're burning up."

He carries her to the bedroom and lies her in bed.

His parents come rushing in.

"She has a fever," Inseong says.

They take her temperature, and her temperature is very high. 

His mother brings in a bowl of cold water and a towel.

Inseong places the cold wet towel on her forehead.

"Go make some porridge," the mother says. "She'll eat before she takes medicine."

The workers get to work right away.

Everyone leaves Inseong and Sujeong. 

Inseong is holding onto Sujeong's hand. He waits for her to wake up. Once she does, he takes a breath of relief. 

"Are you okay," he asks her.

"What happened," she asks.

"You have a high fever, so you fainted."

Sujeong sits up.

Inseong helps her.

She feels her head swaying.

"Are you okay," he asks.

"My head is swaying," she replies.

Inseong helps her lean against the back wall.

"The cooks made porridge for you," Inseong says. "You'll take medicine after you eat."

She nods her head.

Inseong goes out to grab the porridge and medicine for Sujeong.

When he comes back into the room, he sees Sujeong shivering.

"Are you cold," he asks.

She nods her head.

He fixes the blanket on her.

"Here," Inseong says. He hands her a spoonful of porridge. "The porridge will warm you up."

She takes a bite.

Inseong continues to feed her. Then, he gives her the medicine. Inseong helps her lie down again.

"Get some rest," Inseong says. "Feel better."

"Will you get me another blanket," she asks him.

"Of course."

He goes into the closet and pulls out another blanket. Inseong lays the blanket on top of her before he takes the bowl back.

That night, Inseong wakes up to Sujeong shivering. He fixes the blanket on her, but that doesn't seem to be helping her, so instead, he pulls her into his arms. He holds her close to him.

Sujeong snuggles into his arms.

The next morning, Inseong wakes up to see Sujeong sleeping by the edge of the bed. Her back is facing him. The blanket is off of her, and her shirt had lifted up a little showing her lower back. Inseong couldn't help but eye her, and upon doing that, he notices some black marks on her back, but it didn't look like just any marks. It looks like she was hit. He reaches over to her and lifts her shirt a little to reveal the whole marking. Inseong is alarmed. He lifts up her shirt a little more and sees more black markings on her back.

"What happened," he asks himself.

Inseong fixes her shirt.

"These are definitely whipped markings," he talks to himself. "Was she abused?"

Sujeong turns her body. Now she is facing Inseong. From the corner of her eyes, Inseong sees a tear rolling down. He wipes the tear away and pulls Sujeong in for a hug.

Later that day, Sujeong and Inseong runs an errand for his mother. While they're in the car, he brings up the markings on her back.

"How did you get those," he asks.

"You peaked at me while I was asleep," she asks.

"Yes and no," he replies. "Your back was facing me, and your shirt was lifted."

"It's nothing," she replies.

"How can it be nothing? There were a few marks."

"It's in the past. Just leave it."

"Were you abused?"

She doesn't answer.

"Did your family hit you," he continues.

She still doesn't answer.

"I'm sorry," he says. 

He places his hand on top of hers while keeping one hand on the wheel.

"I'll stop asking," he continues. "I'm just worried about you."

The warmth of his hand makes her hand feel warm, and the warm feeling makes her feel warm inside. 

The two return home with grocery bags in their hands.

“Thank you so much,” his mother says. “You two are life savers.”

“No problem,” Inseong replies.

“Inseong,” his father says. “It’s been three months since Sujeong has seen her family. How about you take her to visit them this weekend?”

Inseong looks at Sujeong. “Sure,” he says. “I’m sure she misses them.”

 

The two of them go visit her parents that weekend. When they arrive, the stepmother and stepdaughter can’t believe their eyes.

"His parents said he wasn't good looking," the stepmother says to herself. "But he's gorgeous!"

"I'm jealous," the stepsister says to herself.

"Welcome," the father greets.

Inseong smiles and greets back while Sujeong stays in the back.

The first thing that the stepmother does is asks Sujeong to take their luggage to her old room.

Sujeong obeys and grabs her luggage and Inseong's luggage. She is about to lift them, but Inseong grabs both of their luggages.

"I'll carry them," Inseong says. "They're heavy." He lifts them up. "Where's your room?"

The stepmother and stepdaughter watch in disbelief.

"This way," Sujeong says. She leads the way to her old room.

"It's small," Inseong says. "I like it."

Sujeong gives a small smile.

Later that day, Sujeong is in the living room with her family, and Inseong is in her room. He looks around and notices some things. Sujeong has teddy bears sitting on the windowsill. Inseong looks in her closet and sees one worn out sweater hanging. 

“She doesn’t have a lot of clothes I see,” Inseong says to himself. “When she moved in, she only had four shirts and two pants.”

“Sujeong,” Inseong hears the stepsister say. “I really miss your cooking. Will you make me your famous stuffed chicken wings?”

“Sure,” Sujeong says.

“Great!”

Inseong heads out to the living room.

“I don’t have any of the ingredients,” the stepsister says. “Will you go buy them?”

“Of course,” Sujeong says.

“You’re great, Sujeong! Go.”

“Where are you going,” Inseong asks.

“She’s going to make me her famous stuffed chicken wings,” the stepsister says. She is smiling from ear to ear. “Sujeong is so nice that she’s even willing to go buy the ingredients.”

“Sounds good,” Inseong says. “I’ll go with her.”

“She can go by herself,” the stepmother says. “Inseong, I have something I want you to do.”

“I’ll be fine,” Sujeong says. “The store is five minutes away from here. I can go by myself.”

“Okay,” Inseong says. 

Sujeong stands up, and Inseong walks over to her. He hands her his card.

“Use this,” Inseong says. “Buy whatever you want.”

“Thank you,” Sujeong says. She grabs the card.

The stepsister and stepmother gasps.

Sujeong heads out.

"Inseong," the stepmother says. "Will you help me move the plants?"

"Of course," Inseong says.

"Thank you," she chimes. "I've been wanting to reorganize them, but your father doesn't have the strength to move it for me. He's not how he used to be."

"No worries," Inseong says. "If you need anything, just call me. I'll gladly do it for you."

The stepmother smiles from ear to ear.

After Inseong moves the plants, he waits for Sujeong to come back.

"Did Sujeong go by herself," Inseong asks.

"Yes," the stepsister says. "She always goes by herself. She'll be back soon."

But it's almost been two hours. 

Inseong heads outside and waits for Sujeong. When he sees her, he runs over to her. Inseong grabs the bags from her.

"Did you walk there," Inseong asks.

Sujeong nods her head.

"Why didn't you tell me," Inseong says. "I would've driven you there."

"It's okay. I'm used to it."

"Tell me next time, and I'll drive you there. Let's go."

He carries the bag the rest of the way home. When they enter the house together, the stepmother and stepsister can't help but feel jealous.

Sujeong is in the kitchen carving the wings, so she can take out the bones. 

Everyone else is in the living room. It sounds like they are having a lot of fun.

"Sujeong," Inseong calls.

She looks up.

Inseong walks over to her. 

"May I help," he asks. 

She looks at him weird.

"You want to help," she asks.

He nods his head.

"You," she asks. "You who's never cooked before."

"Yes," he says.

"Okay."

He smiles. "What do I have to do?"

"Will you help me wash these," she asks.

He nods his head.

After he is done, he walks back to her.

"What next," he asks.

"Chop them up," she replies.

He does.

"You're not bad for a beginner," she says.

"Thank you," he replies.

Inseong smiles happily.

After he is done, he goes back to her.

"What now," he asks.

"Everything is done," Sujeong says. "I just have to finish deboning these wings. Then we can stuff them."

"Let me help."

"Are you sure? This is the hardest part."

"I'll learn."

"Okay, but you have to be careful. You could cut your hands."

He nods his head. They stand together. Sujeong is cutting out the bone like a master while Inseong is struggling. He makes a cut and gasps.

“What,” Sujeong asks.

“I made a hole,” Inseong says.

Sujeong laughs at him.

“It’s okay,” Sujeong says. “You’re doing great.”

“The stuffing will come out,” Inseong says.

“That’s fine,” she says. “I’ll still eat it.”

He smiles and continues to debone the wing. As he is doing so, the wing slips out of his hand. Inseong gasps.

Sujeong laughs.

“Sorry,” Inseong says.

“It’s fine,” Sujeong says.

He picks up the wing.

“Here,” Sujeong says.

She takes his hand and helps him debone the chicken.

“Start here,” she says. “Slowly work your way down.”

Inseong feels his heart race. Just her holding his hands is making him feel happy.

The stepsister is spying on them. They look very happy to her.

“So Jin,” the stepmother says. “Should we make him yours instead?”

“Make him mine,” the stepsister asks.

“If his parents didn’t tell me that he was ugly, I would’ve given you to him instead. They haven’t had the wedding yet. We still have time to make him yours.”

“You must’ve done this a lot,” Inseong says.

Sujeong nods her head.

They’re deboning their own wings.

“I can’t wait to eat it,” Inseong says. “I’m sure it’s going to be great.”

Sujeong smiles shyly.

After a few hours, the wings are finally done. 

Inseong tastes one. 

“Wow,” Inseong says. “It’s really good. It tastes a lot better than the cook's food.”

“Yeah,” Sujeong asks.

“Will you make these again?”

“Of course. If you want it, I’ll make it for you.”

Inseong smiles.

They set the table, and the family comes eat dinner.

“Mmm,” the stepsister hums. “Just how I remember. Will you make your pork cutlets tomorrow?”

“Sure,” Sujeong says. “I’ll go buy it.”

“I’ll take you,” Inseong says.

“Sure.”

“How long will you two stay here for,” the father asks.

“Until Monday,” Inseong replies. “I have to go back to work on Tuesday.”

“Before you go,” the stepmother says. “I have some sheets I want Sujeong to wash. Only you thoroughly wash them.”

“Sure,” Sujeong says. “I can do that.”

After dinner, the family goes to the living room while Sujeong is clearing the table.

“Let me help,” Inseong says.

“Why don’t you go join them,” Sujeong says. “I can clean up alone.”

“I want to help you though.”

Sujeong nods her head.

They wash the dishes together. 

“They’re quite cute together,” the father says. 

“Yeah,” the stepmother asks.

“I think we made the right decision.”

Sujeong and Inseong finish the dishes. Sujeong wipes the table clean. 

“Sujeong,” the stepsister calls. “Will you bring us some apples?”

“Sure,” Sujeong replies.

“Inseong, why don’t you come join us?”

“I’ll help Sujeong,” Inseong says. “Then, I’ll come.”

The stepsister walks away.

Sujeong starts peeling an apple.

“Let me help,” Inseong says.

“Can you peel an apple,” Sujeong asks.

“No, but I want to learn.”

Sujeong helps Inseong. After they are done, they serve the apples to the family.

 

Inseong and Sujeong are in bed together. Everyone else is also in bed.

Inseong is lying down comfortably while Sujeong is sleeping near the wall. Her back is toward Inseong.

“Are you asleep,” Inseong asks.

“No,” Sujeong replies.

“What time should we go shopping tomorrow,” Inseong asks.

“Whenever,” Sujeong replies.

“Noon?”

“Sounds good.”

Silence. “Before you met me,” Inseong starts. “You worked a lot for your family didn’t you?”

“I did,” Sujeong replies.

“You cooked, you cleaned, and did anything your family wanted.”

Sujeong nods her head.

Inseong turns his body and faces her.

“No wonder you’re always bored at home,” Inseong says. “No wonder you’re always in the kitchen. Did your mom ever help you?”

“Mom always helped me,” Sujeong replies. “Not stepmom though.”

“Stepmom? She’s your stepmom?”

“Yes.”

“Where’s your mom?”

“She died.”

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, how did she die?”

“She had cancer. She left when I was seven years old.”

“So Jin is your younger stepsister?”

“Yes.”

“And they made you work for them,” he tells himself. “And when you did something wrong, your stepmother would hit you. That’s why you have those scars on your back.”

He feels sorry for her. He wants to protect her and love her. Inseong also observes her and sees that she feels uncomfortable.

“Sujeong,” Inseong starts. “I noticed that you have a lot of teddy bears.”

“Yes,” Sujeong replies. “Mom bought them for me. I would sleep with them and play with them when I was younger. Now I display them.”

“Why didn’t you bring them with you when you moved into my house?”

“I thought it would be a nuisance.”

“Of course not. We can have them displayed in our room.”

Sujeong turns her body to face Inseong.

“Really,” Sujeong asks.

Inseong smiles and nods his head.

“That way it’ll feel like mother is still with us,” Inseong says.

“I’d like that,” Sujeong says.

“Is there anything else you want to bring back home?”

Sujeong shakes her head. “No. Just the teddy bears.”

Inseong can see that Sujeong is finally comfortable.

“What’s your favorite food,” Inseong asks.

“Why are you suddenly asking that,” Sujeong asks.

“So, I can make it for you like how you cooked for me today.”

“Pork belly,” Sujeong replies. 

“Pork belly?”

Sujeong nods her head.

“That’s hard,” Inseong says. “I’ll have to ask the cooks to help me.”

Sujeong laughs.

“Let’s go to sleep,” Inseong says. “I’m tired.”

Inseong closes his eyes.

Sujeong stares at him. Butterflies are swarming in her belly. She feels so loved and protected by him. Something that she doesn’t get from her family.