Chapter 1

Escape [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Pain.

 

All I feel is pain.

 

Shackles.

 

The struggle to breathe.

 

Days blend into years and I don’t know how long I’ve been here. How much longer I’ll be here. I have no more will to rebel, no more strength to fight.

“Dr. Walters.”

I don’t open my eyes. Can’t. Too much pain. I take this quiet moment to gasp for breath, preparing for what’s to come.

“Turn it up.”

The sound of machines whirring. Electricity crackling, the typing of keyboards, pressing of buttons.

 

 

I scream.

 

 

Power surges into me from where I am bound to the machine. It lights my cells on fire, burns through my veins. Tears fill my eyes and I choke, no longer able to breathe. It’s too much. It surges through me like a thousand needles, cutting me apart molecule by molecule, forcing me apart and then putting me back together again.

 

Over and over again.

 

A never ending cycle of torture.

 

It stops and I go limp, abandoned breaths rattling in my ribcage. My face is wet, with tears or sweat I don’t know. I can’t differentiate them anymore. It’s salty and gross.

“Again.” The familiar voice commands. I crack open an eye to see his grin. Those wide, crazed eyes that haunt me. Always watching. “Turn it up higher, to the max.”

“But sir,” his assistant at the controls looks nervous. There are many others in lab coats and safety glasses standing around the room, jotting down test results and making sure the technology is working properly. “If we turn it up any higher she might—”

“I said turn it up.” Dr. Walters snaps, his grey eyes never leaving my form. “Do it.”

The assistant swallows, then does as he’s told.

 

I barely have time to in air before I’m wailing, my voice piercing through the metal and glass. After the initial shock, I try my best to grit my teeth, not giving the madman any more sick satisfaction of hearing me scream. I am exhausted, but I can’t give up.

Not yet.

Not now.

 

I can’t give up.

 

The pain is unbearable. I’m sure my skin has been burned off already from the scorching heat that flows through the shackles. My body is about to burst, light pours out from every seam.

My eyes are wide open now, all I can see is white. I’m sure they’re glowing, and when I open my mouth for a silent cry, I’m sure light is coming out there too.

I can’t hold it in anymore. I hear something cracking, the sound of metal screeching. The blaring of alarms and people yelling.

“Don’t stop!” Dr. Walter’s voice booms. “These numbers are off the charts! This is amazing! With this I can finally—”

His voice drowns out and I growl, no longer feeling the pain, just the unbearable need to get out now now now. Power fills me, desperation fuels me. I pull my hands free, then my legs. I lift up my arms, feeling my powers grab hold of my goal and with a yell, I bring the ceiling down.

 

For the first time, I am free.

 

I run, my vision still impaired. Everything is covered in wisps of white, looking warped and fuzzy. My ears ring. I shake my head, trying to clear the haze. I force my ruined body to keep going. There are footsteps, screams. They are not far behind.

I run through the maze-like hallways of the lab, not knowing where I’m going or where I came from. Every time I see a group of guards blocking my way I turn sharply into another hallway, hoping for the best.

It’s only a matter of time before I am caught again.

I can’t be caught again. I won’t let them.

Conjuring all my strength, I pull against the metal walls with my powers, forcing them to bend inwards, blocking off paths. I do this as often as my body allows, my muscles burning from the exertion. 

I do not stop. Can’t stop.

 

I find an air vent and force it open. It should be big enough for me to squeeze in. I take my chances and bring in my shoulders to make myself smaller. I crawl through the vent, trying to steady my breaths, to keep myself quiet in hopes they won’t trace me here.

It is dark and suddenly so silent.

Panic builds as I try to find my way, feeling myself get more and more lost. I cannot go back, but I do not know the way forward.

There are many paths in the vents and I don’t know which is correct.

I am scared, but I force it down. I can’t be weak now, not until I manage to get out.

 

If I can get out.

 

I take a turn and feel my heart soar with hope, seeing the light on the other end. I quicken my crawl, the claustrophobia

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter