Chapter 2

Escape [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was rather peaceful that night. Kai had ordered pizza (his fridge was empty, save for a few bottles of water for some reason), insisting I eat something before bed. It was delicious, to say the least, since I’ve never really eaten “normal food”— according to Kai—in my time at the lab.

I was always given pills in place of food. It was something that Dr. Walters had invented, pills that tasted like nothing but would keep me alive well enough.

So pizza was indeed the most delicious thing I’ve eaten so far.

After that, he ushered me to the bathroom, threw me a towel and some clothes.

“Get clean.” He ordered, shooing me away. “You look awful.”

Looking at myself in the mirror, I agree. My hair is matted, my skin covered in grime. The testing clothes I wear, a tight back jumpsuit, is torn in several places, probably also covered in blood. I look so much older than I remember being, bags under my eyes and skin deathly pale. It’s hard to believe I made it so far in such a condition. I can hardly recognize myself—the last time I saw myself in a mirror was so long ago.

Stepping into the shower, letting hot water hit my skin, I hiss. The wounds on my back stings, and I try my best to wash off the filth so they don’t get infected, hopefully. Couldn’t help getting my new bandages wet.

I sigh in relief once I begin lathering soap into my hair, glad to feel clean after so long. I feel human at last.

After my relaxing shower, I step out and wrap myself in the blanket, feeling warm and safe and relaxed. Now that I am, I suddenly feel so sleepy.

Doing my best to pat myself dry despite my many wounds, I put on the clothes Kai handed me. A big baggy white t-shirt and equally baggy sweats. I tie the string around my waist as tightly as possible so it doesn’t fall down. I blow dry my hair, feeling how soft its become after a good wash compared to the monstrosity it was before.

Staring at myself in the mirror, I let myself smile. I still look awful, but better. Way better.

Heading out, I find Kai typing on his laptop, looking very focused. I fidget, wondering what I should do. “Um…”

“You can take the bed.” Kai says without looking up. “You must be tired.”

“Oh, no it’s okay.” I hurriedly say. “I can sleep on the sofa.”

He taps a key, looking up at me. His lips are pulled into an amused smile. “I can’t let a pretty girl sleep on the couch. Don’t worry and just go to sleep. I’ll do my best to keep my hands to myself.” If I could see his eyes he might’ve winked at me.

“I can’t tell if you’re a good person or not.” I mumble under my breath as Kai gets up, setting his laptop onto the coffee table.

“I’m not a good person. Just in it for the money, sweetheart.” He pinches my cheek as he walks by, heading into the bathroom. “By the way, my clothes look good on you.”

The bathroom door slams shut before I could hit him. His laughter is muffled on the other side.

I hear water running, and now that I’m alone in the room, I wonder what I should do. Well, he did give me permission to sleep, so I suppose that’s what I’ll do. I head over to the bed, climbing in tentatively. It’s soft and smooth, and I wrap the blankets around my body like a safe cocoon. I sigh into the pillows, fatigue instantly catching up to me. I have never felt so comfortable in my life, and part of my brain kicks into high alert. I won’t allow myself to fall deeply asleep, only enough to get the rest I need to fight another day. Years of being in the lab trained me this way. I never know when I’ll in danger and need to protect myself.

I can’t trust Kai, after all.

I hear the shower stop. Muffled sounds of him moving around, quiet humming. The door clicks open, and I am immensely curious about what he looks like. I manage a peak while feigning sleep. He has a towel around his bare shoulders, water dripping down his dark hair. He wears a pair of black sweatpants but, to my disappointment, I can’t see his face from here.

He stands with his back facing me, dries his hair more thoroughly with the towel and then puts his mask back on.

Seems he isn’t taking any chances either.

I see him begin to turn towards me, so I close my eyes and even out my breathing. I feel him checking me, making sure I’m asleep before he moves away. There’s a quiet click, and then a soft female voice can be heard.

“Hey Kat.” Kai greets, most likely talking into a phone. There’s a pause as Kat speaks. “Yeah, she’s at the apartment.” Another pause. “No need, I’ll handle it. Yeah, okay, bye.”

He hangs up, letting out a sigh. There’s some shuffling and I assume he’s getting comfortable on the couch. Light dances across the wall, which I think i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter