Four

In The Azure Skies.

IV

 

Azure skies decided to change colors, starting to transition safely into a more tenuous color, slowly fading into a glow of orange with a dash of pink, but not quite there yet. It was inching close to the evening, the morning and afternoon full of explorations.

 

Raiding a fridge led to the discovery of many new flavors. Sweet, salty, bitter (it made the hungry bear Seulgi spit it all out and cough before bursting into surprised laughter), some sour and other strange flavor combinations that they could not understand. The bunny was accustomed to some of these flavors, hoarding all the veggies that her sensitive stomach wanted and was accustomed to, while Seulgi looted the rest and had a bit of everything, pushing aside what she didn’t want.

 

Without regards for cleanliness, they moved onto the outside when the sun stopped shining so bright, descending slowly, covered by thicker clouds. The outside was amusing, especially when the nearest park caught their attention.

 

Kang Seulgi and Bae Joohyun understood water, but didn’t understand fountains. Out of the two of them, Seulgi was the one marvelled at its resemblance to the waterfalls somewhere in the forest; the pearly white, gushing water crashing against rocks and falling into a soothing, fresh pond being one of the biggest attraction of the forest. It was the freshest water, the sweetest sensation tickling the fur and cleansing to more than just the body but the soul. Full of relaxation with the rest of the animals that curiously came to drink and wash themselves in the lulling ripples.

 

The humans had their very own waterfall! The rock replaced the concrete, the moss and green was missing, replaced by clear water that showed one or two coins resting in the very bottom. Evidently, the sound of running water was less monstrous than in the waterfall, the current less wild and far more calculated while the pond was shallow. 

 

Shallow enough to make the happy bear sit under the current quite hilariously, her hands waving through the water and the current sluicing down her body. It may be a smaller version of a fountain, but its soothing sound and its refreshing nature still worked the same. No matter what, her impish nature wasn’t dying off. The water barely reached above her hips but the water still went ‘glug glug’ and could go ‘splish splash’ if Seulgi wanted to. Fun could be had here, just like in the forest! Had she been a cub, she would’ve floated and swam across the subtle waves. 

 

However, sitting on top of the concrete was the wary bunny that has never swam in her life without the reassuring presence of her master. While the bear played and refreshed herself, Joohyun kept a safe distance and watched the water and its mysterious claw go to and fro with every movement of the bear.

 

Seulgi shook her head and let the water splash everywhere, then she asked softly. “Why aren’t you jumping in?”

 

Joohyun shook her head. “I don’t think I can swim.”

 

The bear looked confused, looking down and then realizing that it’s probable that the bunny never truly learned how to swim on her own, if at all. With a bright smile, Seulgi the bear scooted closer, shaking away the excess water off her fur. “I can help you, friend!”

 

Joohyun, who was already retreating a little bit, shook her head. “I don’t think you will.”

 

Pouting, Seulgi tilted her head. “Why not?”

 

How to tell the bear that she didn’t really trust her?

 

“I don’t… really trust you, yet.”

 

Oh, there it is. But there was still something entrancing about the Bear, so she didn’t truly -- like really truly -- believed her own words. Sure, she felt a little unsure, but she felt some trust building along the way.

 

Strangely, rather than offended or disappointed, Seulgi smiled. “I can’t blame you,” she said chipperly, letting her hand weave through the water calmly. “When mama bear wanted to get a partner, she usually had to let him tag along at a distance, only getting closer until she trusted him.”

 

Joohyun listened quietly.

 

Seulgi took the silence as attention, continuing. “He would tag along and show that he could be trustworthy and he would only get closer with her permission. Mama told me that there could be dangerous brothers and sisters out there, strangers and even humans. Trust is something you build slowly with time.”

 

“Ah, your mother is wise,” Joohyun smiled, feeling a little easier.

 

“So, I figured that to show you can trust me, I should do the same?” Seulgi questioned.

 

“That would be nice,” Joohyun smiled. “Thank you.”

 

“I’m a big scary bear, but I don’t want to hurt you. I just want some friends.”

 

In the quietness that befell upon them, Joohyun thought of a lot of things. She wondered about Seulgi, about how her life as a bear was different than hers, how everything has lead to this. Besides, in this vast town there seemed to be no one else but the two of them. The little ladybugs flew high and away, the butterflies only stopping briefly in one spot then going, the ants all marching in their own path but nowhere to be found. Right now, all Seulgi had was Joohyun and Joohyun only had Seulgi.

 

The only friend, one that hasn’t done anything wrong yet. Instead, Seulgi played with the water without stopping, wholesomely like a young child, as if she had never seen water before.

 

Suddenly, Joohyun inched closer to the edge of the concrete slab, letting her feet gently dip her toes into the water. It felt nice and fresh, yet it looked scary and powerful.

 

Seulgi noticed, slowing down her play and getting closer.  “You’re doing well,” the bear softly encouraged.

 

In no time, the bunny entire dipped into the water, soon enough using her legs to bring herself up to the surface and staying afloat quite stable. Seulgi’s hands hovered close by, ready to spring to action should a hiccup happen, but it never happened. Instead, the bunny stood afloat on her own, slowly mastering her natural talent for swimming. Soon, the two animals laughed and played away with the sun lazily sinking into the horizon, its colors becoming stronger, darker, making a monumental introduction for the evening.

 

A bond was slowly forming between the bear and the bunny -- a strong bond at that! Beyond what they thought of, or what they could think of, because at the moment they did not think much. Right now, it was all about the fun water and the thunderous laughter.

 

Eventually, the night sky was showing off in its full glory, the silver dots in the sky made the two animals -- now dry and out of the fountain -- look up in wonder. 

 

Under the presence of the stars, the bear sat on the grass adorably with the bunny sat in the same way next to her. In this moment of quietness with the wind rustling their fur, Joohyun thought to ask.

 

“You said you had a mama.”

 

Seulgi’s ears perked up and she turned to look at her who was inquisitively taping her chin. “Yeah, why?”

 

“If you had a mom, why did you leave her?” 

 

And of course, Seulgi didn’t quite know how to answer that. “My mother told us that after we wake up from hibernation we would have to go on our own,” Seulgi shrugged. “All mothers do that, I think.”

 

“I see,” Joohyun could only say that at first. “You said you had brothers, too.”

 

“Ah! I did, but they parted ways too,” Seulgi nodded.

 

“You don’t miss them?”


“A little bit, but nothing stops me from meeting them again, or from making new friends.”

 

The poor bear Seulgi was not as solitary as much of her peers, to wander the world on her own didn’t sound fun. To make friends of all kinds and species, maybe to even meet the so called famed humans -- the humans that the bears were so wary and hostile towards. She grew up being taught that she wouldn’t have anyone around her, she grew up in the custom of solitude but now…

 

Now…

 

“I think I’m made to be friends with people,” Seulgi thought a little morosely, looking onto the stars. 

 

A memory comes to her that moment, the memory of her tussling and playing with other cubs for a whole afternoon. All those friends soon parted ways, never to be seen again, stretching further and further away from the heart of the forest. Eventually, the people that surrounded Seulgi, the people she helped, the people who she would protect, went on their own lonesome paths without thinking twice. Her mother, understanding and replicating what was done to her and she had done to all her cubs before, let her children fair on their own while she disappeared, going through caves or mountains, leaving Seulgi without the protection and warmth.

 

It was a normal thing, but the poor Seulgi didn’t feel like going with the norm.

 

Bae Joohyun didn’t understand it, because she never understood bears. She figured that eventually she would.

 

The stars continued to sparkle and the silence continues to settle comfortable around them. Their eyes marveled at the wonders of the sky until the exhaustion and lulling wind took a toll on them both. It started with the bunny’s adorable yawn that caught onto the bear. Soft giggles erupted before they both laid in place. Seulgi, the bear, hilariously laid on her back, sprawled like the stars themselves. She knocked herself out immediately, sleeping soundly and letting her chest rise and fall slowly and without a worry in the world.

 

The bunny couldn’t just sleep apart from the bear. When Seulgi was asleep, she hopped on over and nuzzled against the warm torso of the bear. A fluffy fur full of warmth and… protection.

 

Strange for Joohyun to feel so protected next to a bear, but this bear was certainly a different one. A side of her said to trust her instincts and run, but another part of her -- a part that was growing -- said to relax and get some rest. After all, Seulgi was knocked out completely, letting her belly up to any beast and attacker, leaving the chances open for an escape.

 

She trusts her new friend.

 

After pondering for a little bit, Joohyun smiled softly and nuzzled well, lying on her side and stretching her legs. With a soft yawn, a little wiggle and a small sound of happiness, Joohyun fell asleep.

 

Yes, the bunny could trust Kang Seulgi.