One

In The Azure Skies.

I

 

The forest swayed restlessly as the strong gale ripped through it, stealing leaves and flowers with it, kicking up sand and dust like reckless children. The azure sky, still and tender, was clear of clouds (for now). Undisturbed by the strong gale was the grass, growing through the cracks of concrete, the now lonely train station knew no company but the creamy green pastures and the wind -- ephemeral in its stay, only gliding through in a hurry to finish its trek across the vast world. Once lively, now lonely, this little town in the countryside let the wind drift through it without a single soul to admire it. The streets were empty, the sidewalks lonely, the stores and houses all deserted but the fingerprint of life remained. The town in itself pretended to have life, but nothing suggested otherwise; its bus stop waited endleesly for a bus permanently parked somewhere, unmoving like the concrete statue of a founding father with no one to admire it. Open windows let in too much current, knocking off papers left over the counters without anyone to read them.

 

Where was everyone?

 

Mimicking the howling wind was the petite bear, our lovely Kang Seulgi. A frame so thin, uncharacteristic from a true bear, but a dexterity and grace so astounding that made her a very dangerous bear. Sharp fangs showed with each smile and each subtle sound of nature made those animal ears wiggle; equally sharp claws aided in the climbing of trees, the hunt for food. All with a face that wasn’t frightening, a face and body that made the fish at ease. Her innate curiosity, and her very nature, led her away from all the bears nuzzled deep in the forest, closer to the flowing river that never ceased and sheltered near the aromas of the rare flowers that grew at this time of the year.

 

Instead, Kang Seulgi -- a rascal amongst bears, a rebel against the custom -- opted to find the wonders of the world, as far as her eye could see. Which wasn’t very well, but she bravely ventured even further away, diving head first into the new world. Quite unlike her brothers and sisters, Seulgi climbed the trees and relished in the beauty of the forest up above in the highest branches, the green sky of leaves within arms reach now. Peaking through the empty space between the leaves revealed the blue sky, its golden sun and the passing cotton clouds (they have come at last!) that by mere chance Seulgi decided to follow.

 

Running through the forest, her paws powerfully beating against the soil, Seulgi felt her body springing to function after a long period of hibernation. Every muscle in her body coiled into action, wildly undiluted. In no time, the entrance of the forest came to Seulgi’s view and subsequently so did the man made path, bald patches within the grass that serpented downhill smoothly, that suddenly directed far away into the unknown.

 

The countryside was beautiful to Seulgi’s eyes, who had been too young to explore before -- now detached from her mother bear and seeking life on her own. Solitude for a bear was common, but this bear wasn’t a common bear as we can tell. She seeked something new, and so she followed the sinuous path, anxious to find the end of it. 

 

Wherever it led her.

 

The fragrant flowers blossomed earlier in the day on a yellow house somewhere up the path, surrounded by nothing but the vast fields of the countryside. The open kitchen window showcased the beauty of those silky petals and rich colors to the world, but there was no one to admire it.

 

Well, no one except Bae Joohyun, whose skin was as pale as the pure snow that never befell upon this side of the world. Nose nuzzled greedily against the flowers, elongated fluffy ears dancing with delight and just the sound of the wind chimes that somehow relaxed the special bunny. The soft, cotton-like tail wiggled with amusement at the differences in the lingering aromas from the variety of flowers; eyes closed as she felt herself travel through the fields, sitting on top of the tender clouds. It was not the first time Joohyun, our special bunny, smelled the flowers just as they bloomed, but rather it was always a brand new feeling, an occasion so gorgeous that at times doesn’t come by.

 

In the distance that mischievous bear was full speed ahead with jaded breath and a never fading smile at the wonders of the world ready to be discovered, the wind challenging her to a race through the globe and teasing her for not being as fast. The cocksure bear, youthful and full of vigor,  took this challenge with herself, trying to match up the speed and surpassing even the clouds that were now saying goodbye for another few hours. The race came to an abrupt halt when the yellow house -- decorated beautifully with a red roof, a wooden fence and trinkets all around it -- came to Seulgi’s view. The curiosity still boiled within her, but this stop had to be made! What could there be inside. Her sense of smell drove her for a moment, her first few tentative steps turning into confident strides towards her new destiny.

 

With a masterful jump on top of the fence, the bear sat precariously like spiderman just before the kitchen window, in awe of the colorful flowers; now agape with wonder. In the forest there were few flowers and mostly they were one or two specific colors. Who would’ve known that the color of the sky and the sun could be imitated by the flowers? What a find!

 

The smell tickled Seulgi’s nostrils, prompting her to lean in and smell, but just as she was about to--.

 

Joohyun’s rapid reaction alerted Seulgi, making them both jerk their head back in response.

 

Seulgi’s bear brown eyes fixed strongly against Joohyun’s light blue ones. Then, Seulgi noticed that the blue skies, in its pastel-like glory, could also be imitated in the eyes. That made Seulgi’s eyes widen, her slack jawed mouth suddenly morphing to show a huge, toothy grin. Another discovery!

 

However, static and a bit frightened, Joohyun retreats with a tiny step. “Are you going to hurt me?” Her eyes suddenly big like a puppy, pleading for mercy.

 

“Hurt you?” Seulgi said softly, now astonished. “Why would I?”

 

“Ah, you’re a bear,” the tentative steps backwards continued. “Bears hurt my friends, bears frighten others.”

 

Quizzically, the Bear tilted her head to the side, ears wiggling. “I don’t hurt friends.”

 

“But we’re not friends,” Joohyun said, turning around and hopping off the kitchen counter making more distance.

 

“No, wait! I can be your friend!” Seulgi said loudly, arms out in attempts to … seem less harmful, I suppose?

 

However, the quick bunny ran away like the wind, ignoring what Seulgi had to say.

 

Suddenly, gravity claimed Seulgi and the bear fell on her back against the cozy patch of grass with a small thud and a small yelp. It knocked our bear off balance, but she didn’t let it stop her for long. Sitting up and rubbing her head, her eyes slowly focused back to reality. Like a spring, she rose up and took off with leaps ahead, going off to the road and noticing the quick to escape bunny. 

 

“Wait! I wanna be your friend!” Seulgi announced before she took off running, feeling her own voice travelling faster than her across the fields.