Mountain Man

Mountain Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From an early age, Taeyong used to visit his grandparents' hometown in Japan to spend his holidays there. When he was still a child of several years, his parents accompanied him. Then only his older sister came with him, and when the Korean turned seventeen, he began to visit his grandparents alone. When he got to his dream university, the boy had less free time due to the studies, so he missed a few trips.

 

It wasn't until this extremely hot July that Lee decided that it was time to visit his beloved grandparents again. So right after the exams, he packed his backpack and said goodbye to his parents at the Incheon airport. Hours later, his grandparents picked him up at Osaka airport and gave a heartwarming hug to their favorite grandson.

 

For Taeyong, holidays in Japan were associated mainly with time in nature. Ever since he started coming here, his grandfather had organized day trips for him in the local forests and mountains. Lee walked for miles, enjoying the beautiful views, the peace, and the quiet of the mountain valleys. As time passed, the boy's grandfather didn't have the strength to wander with him anymore, so Taeyong could now only count on himself.

 

The Korean boy spent the first three days exploring the city to remember what Osaka looks like. He knew, however, that just a walk between the skyscrapers in the city would not satisfy him, so in the evening he and his grandfather arranged several routes for day trips to the mountains. His grandfather advised him to be careful, as traveling alone requires greater caution and prudence. Taeyong took his words to heart, as the old man was always an important figure in his life. The boy had great respect for him and listened carefully to his advice. After all, it was his grandpa who led him by the hand through mountain trails and told him about nature and the world when he was a little boy.

 

So the next day, Taeyong got up before dawn and prepared to leave. Before leaving home, he ate a rich breakfast that his grandmother had prepared for him earlier, and quietly, so as not to wake his grandparents, he left the house. It was still chilly and the sun was just beginning to rise when Taeyong found the sign that marked the beginning of the trail. Adjusting the heavy backpack, the young man started up the winding and rocky path, taking breaks from time to time to drink water or catch his breath.

 

The route was not demanding, so Lee didn't have to carry any additional equipment. However, it was tiring and long, because for almost two hours the boy was walking through a dense spruce forest, and then for the next two hours he was climbing over slippery rocks in full sun. The sky that day was extremely cloudless and it looked as if he wouldn't be surprised by any change in the weather. When he got to the top, Taeyong took some pictures of the beautiful views and decided it was a good time for lunch.

 

At his own pace, not rushing anywhere he reached two more peaks and at 4 p.m. decided that it was time to go home. Unexpectedly, however, the sky became cloudy and Taeyong became concerned, as the weather forecasts he checked didn't indicate rain or even cloudiness. Immediately it got chilly and the young man had to put on his jacket, and as soon as he did so, heavy raindrops began to hit his body.

 

Despite his experience, Taeyong was starting to get a little nervous because it had been a long time since he had met another traveler on the road. Knowing that he was alone in the high mountains, where the weather worsened minute by minute, made tears well up in his eyes. Gritting his teeth and quickening, the Korean ran down the wet rocks, which led him to fall. His leg twisted abruptly and the boy tumbled down a few steps, painfully hitting his body. When he somehow managed to get to his feet, he whined like a dog, feeling pain in his right ankle. With the last of his strength, Taeyong reached a tree to protect himself from the downpour and check the condition of his leg.

 

This time, a few hot tears streamed down his rain-wet face when the young man saw blood trickling down his shank. Also, he had a problem with standing on his right foot. Trying to control his nerves, Taeyong closed his eyes to take a few deep breaths, and when he opened them, he screamed as a mysterious man suddenly appeared in front of his face.

 

He had brown wavy hair and a wide smile on his face. He was dressed in foil raincoat, dark pants drenched in rain, and a green jacket was showing through his coat. The mysterious stranger's eyes were chocolate brown, and they stared at Taeyong with sincere concern. The Korean felt his body relaxing just from looking in them. The boy waved his hand in front of his face and Lee blushed, only now realizing that the stranger was talking to him.

 

"How are you, my friend? You look pale, is something wrong? Do you need help?" Asked the stranger, kneeling in front of the Korean to be on par with his face.

 

"I slipped on a rock and rolled down. I think I sprained my ankle." Taeyong whimpered in pain, and the other boy frowned in concern and pulled off the gloves that covered his hands. Then he examined Taeyong's leg closely and shook his head.

 

"It doesn't look good. Are you able to walk alone?" The stranger asked.

 

"Not really, but I'll have to. It's still a long way down." Taeyong groaned in pain as the man moved his foot.

 

"You won't make it like this. I will take you to the mountain chalet. You can rest there." The boy suggested and, despite Taeyong's denials, the stranger forced the Korean to let him carry himself on his back.

 

At first, they walked in silence. Taeyong was too embarrassed by his situation and also was intimidated by a handsome stranger. The Korean was usually not the type to fall in love at first sight, but that boy was very good-looking and made a good impression on Taeyong. Only after some time did they start talking to each other. Firstly, they were simple questions with short answers, but then they grew into a more detailed conversation.

 

"I already introduced myself to you, so why not tell me your name." Taeyong gasped as he was tossed up slightly again.

 

"Sorry, I forgot all about it. My name is Nakamoto Yuta, I'm 22 years old." The Japanese replied, and Taeyong liked the sound of his name on his lips.

 

"I'm also 22 years old. Where were you coming from? I haven't seen anyone else on the trail." Lee asked because his curiosity was eating him up.

 

"From the chalet. I'm a national park worker." The Japanese replied while whistling, but Taeyong wasn't entirely sure if what Yuta was saying was true.

 

They arrived at the shelter after sunset when it was already dark and they were both soaked to the bone. Yuta left him for a while on the bench in front of the entrance and went to talk to someone at the reception desk, and when he returned he happily told Taeyong that he had arranged for them a staying in one of the vacant rooms. Taeyong knew it was much wiser to stay here overnight than to walk down through the woods in the dark.

 

The Japanese, however, didn't let Taeyong take care of himself and, despite his screams, he grabbed him under his knees and carried him to their room on the first floor. It was a small room with two single beds and a tiny bedside table in between. Yuta made Taeyong sit on the bed and left him for a while to return immediately with the first aid kit. Lee could only watch with red cheeks as the Japanese efficiently bandaged his injured tibia and stiffened his ankle. Without embarrassment, the boy offered to help Taeyong to wash and change his clothes, but Lee somehow convinced him that he can do it by himself.

 

When Taeyong returned to the room after a hot and relaxing bath, he found a Japanese man dressed in dry clothes, wiping his freshly washed hair with a towel. Taeyong did not even have time to take care of his soaked things when Yuta told him that he had hung them downstairs in the drying room and that now they must go to the canteen because a hot meal is waiting for them.

 

This time Lee didn't allow himself to be carried downstairs but leaning on Yuta's shoulder, he went down the stairs on his own. Only a few people were sitting at the wooden tables, each occupied with itself. The boys took a seat next to the fireplace, and Taeyong immediately felt the warmth emanating from it. Yuta ordered a piece of meat and chips for them, as well as orange juice and a sweet chocolate cake. It wasn't until he finished his meal that Lee realized how hungry he was. The atmosphere in the chalet was very cozy. The interior was clean and tidy and the fireplace, which was burned with wood, warmed the building sufficiently.

 

"Where are you from?" Yuta asked, br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter