Time

Time

Isolated.

That’s what she always feel. Folks looks at her weirdly, scared as if she’s ill or acted roughed on her. Once, she likes to social but people don’t like her. Living independently at age 16, now she’s 23. Learning and discovering a lot of things, the best of it was sorcery.

She’s a witch, and her name is Solar.

Her dark-brown hair cascades on her shoulders as she sets all the ingredients on the summon circle.

“Hope this works.” She muttered.

She made her stance on the ground, reciting words in a language that is long forgotten by many. Circle started to gleam in blue to bright red, objects on the shelves and walls moving. Her last words made grumble and spark surrounds the room and explosion.a creature appeared. A toad. She frowned. She was trying to summon an owl but clearly she failed again but at least the toad looks real one and not mutated, her previous summoned was hideous, some were mixed to reptiles, mammals, and other hybrids she doesn’t even know what it is, Some made her laughed of how ridiculous they become.

Sigh.

Solar pick up the toad putting it in the jar, wanting to free in the lake later. Opening her notebook and writes detail of her summoned and hypothesized. She closed it after and wear her thick cloak, she knows it will made her hot, made her sweaty, but she knows it is necessary. She get out in the house searching to get new ingredients and might as well stop in town.

Solar made sure her face is covered. Her basket was full of food and necessities and she’s ready to go home. But a person bumped into her, she panicked covering her face to not be seen. Luckily her food wasn’t thrown on the puddle.

 “I’m sorry. You okay?” A raven haired girl apologizing sincerely.

Solar answered. “I’m okay.” Her tone was cold. She didn’t want to sound mean or harsh, the tone just came out unintentional.

“You sure?” The girl asked again holding Solar’s wrist. Saw Solar’s face a second.

“I said, I’m Fine.” Oh boy, now that harsh tone was intentional. She despised to be asked more than once or people look at her she was weak, pitying.

Solar yanked the girl’s hand, concealed her face in cloak and walking away.

 

 

A yell. “Bloody!”

Jumping into place, her effort finally paid off. Solar hold and petted the owl but immediately flinched when her arms was pecked by the animal. “Ow. That hurts.” The owl fled. “Where you going? Hey! Come back here!” she chase the bird. Solar sprint in the woods, looking for it. “Where’s that freaking bird?!” Her hands rested on her waist. “To chase isn’t my forte.” She panted. She look around, the tall trees made her feel small. “Hey now, don’t give me a rough time.” There was no answer. “…Prolong it and I might have roasted bird for dinner!” She warned, but inside she jested. The bird made a sound, more like a laughed. “There you are. And did you just laughed at me?” She sees the bird in a tree and it made a sound again. “Seriously?” Solar half-heartedly laughed. “Come here.” Beckoning the owl to rest on her arm. The bird fly down and comes to her. “Now what should I name you?” the bird stared at her. She asked whether it was hungry or not. It was not long her walked was halted when she heard bush move from distant and cracks of dried branch was stoop.

“Who’s there?” She calm her owl squirming to get out of her hold.

Solar swing her one arm in the air horizontally, the ring on her finger shines. A whish of every swing, trying to catch whoever the person is. The leaves underneath her feet rustling every time she moves. She caught a glimpse of shadow. “Ha!” She clench her hands and the person was force to fall onto the ground. growled in pain.

Solar was surprised. “You again?” It’s the raven girl who bumped to her last week. “What are you doing here?” meticulously scanned the girl head to toe.

“O-oh hi. I’m, uh, wandering.” The girl dusting her clothes.

“You shouldn’t be here.” Solar said.

“Why?” the question was innocent to the point it annoyed Solar.

“Because I said so.” Solar gritted. “Is she new in here?” she asked herself.

“My name is Moonbyul.”

“I didn’t asked name.”

“Tell me something I don’t know.” Moonbyul replied sarcastically and whined when she found her skin got cut.

Solar rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” She started walking.

Moonbyul followed behind. “So… I won’t get a name?” She picks all the leaves stuck on her hair, her walk a bit of tripping as her feet stumbles on the ground time to time.

“No.”

Moonbyul shrugged.

The bird caught her attention. “Oh, an owl.” Moonbyul commented. “Can I touch it?”

A naughty smile form on Solar’s lips. Forcing and hastily invaded Moonbyul’s space, the bird is too closed to Byul’s liking making her and owl stared face to face intently, the owl’s eyes is what she can only see. “Not like that, lady.” She pushed Solar’s arm gently making the bird away from her. “Don’t be nosy then.” Solar laughed at her.

“You think that was funny?” She wasn’t angry, she was amused instead. Moonbyul found the girl’s laugh endearing.

Solar ignored the question. “How come you found this place anyway?” Wiping the laughed tears on her eyes.

“I was roaming then found this woods at the edge of town.” Moonbyul stared at her.

“I assume you’re new in here?”

“Yes.”

“No wonder she didn’t avoid me.”  Solar purse her lips. “You should go home. You might get lost in here when it turns dark.”

“I’ll be fine. I’m not a kid.” Moonbyul retorted.

Solar clicked her tongue. “Stubborn.”  She used magic sneakily, a flicked of her fingers made the girl fall her on the ground. “What was that?!” The raven girl confused of what happened. rubbing her easing the pain.

 “Go home now and it would be better to not come back here again.” She pointed out a path. “Walk in that direction straight, it will lead you to town. Don’t wait until it gets dark.”

 

 

“Father, you called?” Moonbyul said after closing the door.

“Yes. Come here and take a seat.”

 She took the chair across her father.

“How’s the town? Do you like it?” Her father asked. They’re newly moved in place, for business. Her father was one of tycoon in building railway system. Ever since her parents got separated, her father will always bring her along for business trips and someday she will take over their business too.she’s the only child.

“…Yes.”

“You’ve made friends?”

“…Somehow.” She hesitated and lied. The truth was, she’s not enthusiastic on making new friends. She did tried, but every time they’ll know who her father is, people will act differently around her.Some stay like a leech for fame, some will hate her and some will put her on pedestal. Moonbyul doesn’t like those at all. She did met one girl two weeks ago, but for sure they’re not friends. It was too late to realize after she was pushy when she conversed to the girl. She doesn’t even know the girl’s name and the girl is not that friendly towards her. Moonbyul wondered what she is doing right now.

Her father change the subject, talking about business and she as the succeeding heir, she listened.

 

“That was tiring.” She stretched her arms.there was a one or two crack of bones. She finally finished all the paperwork’s piled up in her table, a job left by her father to ready her for the business. Her future is like a shirt slowly crisp by heated iron. She didn’t hate it, but she wish she can pursue other things, other things she genuinely love to do.

Shrugging it off on her mind, at least she got free time now and for next few days, and so it means she can take stroll wherever she wanted to.

The town isn’t developed compared to others but overall the town wasn’t bad. She could smell the newly baked bread in the bakery, the aroma lingered on her nostrils or the smell of roasted lamb. watered. The only thing she wish that should improve are the road.A lot of it aren’t pave. If clumsy, her shoes will be full of mud.

The sunlight pricks on her skin, the weather is hot and sweats trickled on her neck as she walks continuously. “Where should I go next?” She whispered to herself. Her sight drawn to one place. Tempt rises in her mind. “Why should I listen to her anyway?”

 

                                                                                                                                   

Solar smiled reading the letters. Ever since she had summoned the owl rightly, she have send her letters to her parents by letting the bird deliver it to them, vice versa. As they follow tradition, she has to leave her family and have her journey alone, and find her way to learn magic. After years, she have finally connect to them again. She’s glad her parents are doing well.

 

Greatly satisfied when she went in the library and has a lot of books to read again but then she heard a scream. Her direction was drawn to go where to and found Moonbyul was hang upside down on a tree, her ankle tied on a rope. It was a trap for catching wild animals.

“When did you become a wild pig?” Solar mocked.not moving a muscle.

Byul groaned when she heard the comment. She feel her blood can’t circulate property as it stays on her head. “I feel dizzy. Help me?”

Solar indeed help Byul. She cut the roped, assisted Byul to fall slowly, avoiding to inflict harm.

“Thanks.” Byul said.

Solar scolded. “For sure you don’t know how to listen. I told you not to come back here. There are traps everywhere.” That was half-lie, half-truth. She wasn’t lying there are traps set everywhere in the forest but that isn’t the main reason why she doesn’t want the girl to come back.

“Sorry.”

 “Are you hurt?”

Moonbyul blinks, processing what she heard. “... I do feel back pain and I think, I strained my ankle.”

A sigh.

“Can you still stand up? You need tending.”

“…Yeah. I think so.” Byul stands up. She did feel the pain but it’s still tolerable. Solar assisted her to walk.

 

“Sit on the bed.” Solar commanded.

Moonbyul watch the brunette rummaging in the cabinet.following the girl’s movement. This is the first time noticing the girl’s appearance on clear sight. The latter’s wavy hair leveled to waist, and her chocolate eyes concentrates sorting the jars as if one wrong choose of it would cause the world end.

“It would be great if you’ll take your shoes off.”

The voice breaks her spied towards the girl, Byul hopes Solar didn’t noticed her examined earlier. “You don’t really have to trouble yourself.” suddenly feeling shy what is happening.

“The pain needs to get tend immediately or the swell will get worse as you move.” Solar lectured. She approached Byul on the bed, bringing jars.She sees the girl already took the shoes off.

“What are those?” Byul pointed at the jars in Solar’s hands.

“Ointments. I need to apply it in your strain ankle and back.”

Byul’s mind bewildered. During their first met, the girl was quite indifferent, though the laughed she heard that time was remarkable. And now, the girl is tender. She let the brunette nurse her back and ankle. The touch of the latter’s fingers made her feel stiff.but it feels gentle…and warm.

The pregnant silence is making her weird.

She cleared . “Thank you.”

Solar nodded, instructing the latter how to take care of the pain and how to apply the medicine and bandage alone.

Their first proper conversation happened. Byul found out the brunette’s name is Solar. She finds it unusual, nevertheless the name suits the girl very much. She had wide eyes when Solar told her she’s living independently, she feels a bit of envy. The girl was bit distant and cautious what to response.

It was the start of liking each other’s company.

 

 

She could hear the girl’s voice from distant calling her attention but she choose to ignore and continue to pick flowers. It’s been a while her and Byul become friends. In Solar’s mind, she wasn’t supposed to make a friend since remembering the people bad treatment, she can’t resist the latter’s loveliness. Byul is actually fun to talk to, although sometimes she can get frustrating to the point Solar wanted to push her into the cliff. Kidding.

“Hey. Didn’t you hear me?” She could see Byul pouting.

“I did heard it.” She replied without a glance.

“Then why you didn’t answer back? I feel my throat is dry now for shouting.”

Solar stared at her. “Hello to you.”

Byul was blown away from the monotone greet. “…That was enthusiastic.” She sulked.

The latter laughed. “How you doing?”

Byul grinned.

They playfully elbowed each other and back to back banter. It made them laughed, chase each other in the fields. It’s nice to have company. Byul is playful, chill and interested to know new thingsSolar thought. She always wondered if one day Byul will become the rest of them. She had used sorcery once with Byul’s presence, she reminds herself to not use it when the latter is around. She don’t want to scare the girl, she don’t want to happen it again.

 

“You want to go in town tomorrow night? They will celebrate the finished train station.” Byul asked. Lying in the bed, eyes glued on the ceiling. “I don’t know. It will be too dark when that time comes.” Solar reasoned out but the truth was she’s afraid the people will know she’s there and bad scenario will happen.

“But it will be fun!” Byul shifted on the bed. “There will be firecrackers, food, games, dance and others. That don’t happen every day.” Byul’s brought her hands up, and dancing as if her imagination of celebration will come out in the air.

A sigh.

Paranoia got to Solar, she’s weary going to. She really don’t think it’s a good idea going in too much crowd.

The latter didn’t stop pursuing for the whole day until she said yes. The smile in Byul’s lips was satisfying that day.

Solar convince herself all will be alright. And indeed, the night turned out to be fine. The food made her salivated and the town sounds merry, quite different aura from what she usually felt during normal days of town. The folks are loud and drunk.

 “It was fun right?”

“Yes. It was.”

The grinned is printed to each other faces. They had a lot of fun. Exhaustedly fun. Solar was thankful she did went after all. It’s been years she have experience this again and no one actually bothered her, or more like no one notice her. She’s looking forward tomorrow with her friend Byul.

 Their night went smoothly.

 

“Why do we have to sneak to go inside? But oh, this is exciting.” Byul feels excitement within. Sneaking in the library made her giddy, never in life done something rebellious. There’s a private section in the library where books are only permitted to higher social class. Anyone who attempt to go inside that section and read the books will get punishment. She wasn’t supposed to bring Byul, but knowing the girl’s persistent behavior, she honestly can’t stop the latter to go with her.

Hush.

“Can you keep quiet?”

Byul mouthed ‘Sorry’ and follows Solar behind again.Crawling. Solar scan the shelves and pick up books. Mindlessly reversing her crawl, her bumped to Byul’s cheek, making the girl’s head hit on the bookshelf a little hard. She winced.

That was too loud.

They can hear footsteps going to their location. A rise in panic, she keep pushing Byul heading towards the exit. They escaped and run fast. Catching their breath. The raven girl lay on the grass, laughing.on the other, Solar was not amused at all.

Solar reprimands her friend for nearly exposing them earlier. “It was unintentional. I never wished us to get exposed.” Byul defended herself still laughing. “Where you going?” Byul said, seeing her friend walk away. “Grumpy.” She mumbled.

Solar rants to herself. She knows it isn’t Byul’s fault. Realizing she reacted poorly, she’ll make sure to apologize later. But still she can’t help but worry, Byul become her dear friend and it if one day, the girl don’t want to be her friend anymore knowing who she is or what the folks gossiping about her. She has a tiny hope in her that the girl will stay the same if that day will come.

Gladly that day, Byul accepted the sorry and assure the latter to not make it a big deal.

 

“Remi!” Solar called out the bird. The owl flapping its wings when it heard the voice, flies down near the bowl full of food.

“For all of names you could use.” Moonbyul teased.

“Shut up.” Solar rolled her eyes.

“What should we do today?”

Moonbyul hangs a lot lately in Solar’s house.probably bored. Too comfortable staying as if she owns it, She cooks, helps gardening or being lazy around. Totally feels at home. There was once Solar grew in panicked when Byul has pique of interest to those sealed jars that sole purpose is to explore elements in sorcery. Solar reasoned out or more like ramble in thought. Moonbyul confused what was the girl saying, she shrugged and said nevermind.Solar sighed in relief.

“I don’t know. Why don’t you go outside and play?”

“Too hot outside.” Byul puffed her cheeks.

“Then stay indoors.” Solar stated. She’s on her study desk, reading a book, not minding her bored friend.

Byul become restless and ended up looking at her friend. She never questioned, but she always noticed the latter likes to wear black and her being mysterious and secretive to her life doesn’t help about Byul thinking Solar acting like a Goth. She snorted at her thought. But never once she got sick looking through those eyes, shades of chocolate. A hundred percent pure of chocolate, where each drip is full of richness, savory that will make you feel too much thirst wanting to feed to your soul and make you addicted. She’s being swallowed slowly and drowning deep but Byul did nothing to stop it and the cheeks like marshmallow she wanted to squeeze for its fluffiness or wanting to rub her own cheeks on it.

Byul knows she likes Solar more than a friend, the day she noticed liking Solar was vague, blur, she can’t pinpoint when and why she like the latter exactly. Well, it doesn’t matter that much now where and when it start but she worries more about her liking getting heavier each day. A creature in cage inside of her getting wilder wanting to get out, to rage and confess and finally get tame.

“Do you have a lover?”

Solar look at Byul weirdly, like there’s another head sprouting on her body. “That question came out of know where.”

Byul bit her lip. That slip in her tongue suddenly. Stupid mind, stupid tongue, stupid Byul. Cursed herself. She think fast to cover it up. “Iuh… Are we in age where usually they started to get in relationship?” her hands fidgeting.

Solar shake her head. “Doesn’t mean we need to. It’s not that if you wanted one you could get one immediately.”

Moonbyul isn’t sure if she would be delighted or not from the answer. “No romance at all?”

“Not at all.”

She already forgot why she made that question in the first place, instead she go straight ahead asking another set of questions.

 “But you wanted one?”

“You pry too much.” Solar starting to get annoyed.

“There’s nothing wrong in asking.”

A clamp of the book was heard and met an unpleasant Solar’s gaze.

“Do you have one?”

A second silence.

“No, I don’t.”

She got Solar’s smile as response. A fake smile. Being mild manner is an alienation Byul still couldn’t comprehend. One minute her mood was okay and in second it becomes sour than balsamic vinegar. She’s a person like a water in pot to hit its boiling point? Or more like a mine bomb, one mistake and Byul would be a scorching dead meat.

 

She scoffed.

Solar never hates romance, in fact you could say she’s one of those hopeless romantic. When she was a kid, Solar wished for a prince riding a white stallion. A man oozing in gallantry, a buff man who can carry her in one arm or a mouth of smooth fluttery with all the rainbows and sweet candies. She outgrown all of it. She still wanted romance just like everyone else but the craze isn’t up to the roof. Blame the disparities of her ideals and reality. Now all she wanted is sincere and pure intentions but the treatment she’s receiving from people aren’t helping, it made her bitter. She’s now considering that she might end up alone.

But why does people treat her badly? It all started when she helped an old woman stuck under a fallen big tree. Leaving no choice, she used sorcery to uplift it but instead of receiving gratitude after, what she had gotten was disgust, the old woman said she’s a curse. The old woman looks terrified and Solar haven’t forgotten those looks. The news spread in town and they became mobbed to her. Hard times. She feel so down and it took time she got used to it but, no one should ever feel or get used she’d been through that time.

 

The housekeeper keep talking, telling all the stories in town, weird, hilariously uncommon and uncanny.  “How about that cursed girl that you told me? Is she still here?” Moonbyul asked.

The housekeeper look around and hiss. “Don’t say that out loud! She could be watching and listening to us somewhere. Speaking her name is even forbidden and should be forgotten.”

Moonbyul disapprovingly shakes her head. “You can’t be serious. And aren’t people reacted too much?”

“No it wasn’t! The elders said, witches bring bad omen. The treatment was just right. It was for the good of all living in here.”

“But

“Moon Byulyi!”

She turn around.

“Minji?”

The girl runs into Byul and clings in her arm. “I’ve been looking for you.” A buoyant voice.  “Both of our fathers are currently discussing work and so… I was thinking… maybe we could go roam in town? If you’d like?” Minji is a childhood friend. Byul wasn’t really in the mood for it but she can’t let her friend unattended either. And it would be unlikely to decline.Darn all these etiquettes or whatever.

They end up entering a store of dresses.while Minji have the pleasure of fitting a lot of it, Byul is bored to death. Her boots continuously on rhythm hitting the floor, waiting for Minji to finish the measuring with the seamstress. It’s been an hour since she sit on the chair and counting all the people passes by on the road. “Wait what? Isn’t that the same person before? How many times did he passed on this street?” Then she saw a very familiar cloak.

“Was that Solar?” Her face lightened. “Solar!” her voice was enough to be heard by the woman.

“Oh, Byul.” Solar blinks. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m accompanying a friend. What are you doing here?” Byul noticed the basket full of food. “You went from wet market? You did groceries?”

“Yes.”

“Byulyi?” She heard Minji voice behind. “What are you doing there and whom you taking to?”

“I am talking to” Byul suddenly confused when she turned her head. Solar was gone. Confusion written on her face, nose scrunch up and eyes squinted by doubt. Where did that girl go? “No one.” She goes back to Minji. Every step of her boots touched the thirsty earth hard and the dust swayed along in the air.

“You done?” Byul asked.

Minji nodded.

“Where should we go next?”

“I’m famish. Let’s go eat.”

 

“Do you have anyone you interested with?”

The question made her freeze. Her arms leans on the bridge. “Like love? Uh… I don’t have one.” Her eyes are drawn at the flowing river below them.

“Liar.” Minji smiled at her. “You hesitated.” She joins Byul leaning forward on the bridge and gaze unto the river.

Moonbyul made a muffled laughed. “Why can’t I hide things to you?”

There’s a smug on Minji’s lips. “Is it unrequited?”

“I don’t have the answer for that.” Byul answered. She thrown a rock to the water.

The former had a frown on her face. “Have you considered to confess?”

“Yes but rejection is the least I want to experience, Minji.”

“If you will not take any course it might be too late to do anything.” Minji put an arm on Byul’s shoulder. “You seriously need some fuel to light the fire in you. You need some courage and loosen a little of what will happen. Either way if you get rejected, you can cry on my shoulders but don’t put snot on my dress please.”

“The way you said it, I’m already doomed.” Byul shoved her lightly.

Minji laughed.

 

A gasp.

“You wench.” The man spat at her.

“I just wanted to buy.”

“You’re not welcome in here.”

Solar was grab by arm. The man is much taller and bulky making her feel little. Hands were rough fisted on her hair made her feel scalp on verge to strip off on her head. So much manhandling. So much disgust. “I don’t understand why you’re still here and alive.” Thrown onto the ground, her palms kissed the dry ground, sharp stones dug in her skin, and the dirt got inside her nails.

Anger rise in her eyes. Teeth gritted. Solar can’t deal with this mistreatment anymore, she did nothing wrong. All she want is to live. How can people trying to steal that from her? Forget tolerance, they don’t deserve it. The stone on her ring started gleaming crimson as her hand clenches. When she released her clench and swings forward on air, the sells on the stand become pieces and broken and made the man more furious wanting to slap her on the face.

“Hey!”

Solar’s eyes turn wide as she sees Byul. Why is she here? She thought.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Byul shoved him.

“No! What do you doing you’re doing.” The man pointed a finger at Byul. “You’re siding with her. A witch! Are you one of them?!” the man yells in front of her.

Byul’s complexion turn pale. It looks her blood drain out inside of her body.It wasn’t because of him who yelled but rather of revelation she heard.

“A WHAT?!” She was shocked. A witch? SSolar’s a witch. She’s the witch.

OH no. No no no no. Solar scream in her head. There was a rush taste of salty inside her nose up to her eyes and made her teary. She hate this feeling. She feels weak.

Solar run fast, wanting to get away from everyone. She heard a voice calling her name but she don’t want to turn around nor stop running.

She want to hide.

 

“You’re the witch?” Byul spoke. She was following Solar behind.

Solar flinched when she heard it. As they always told, secrets can’t be keep forever. The day has finally come but she’s not mentally ready. but she didn’t think she will ever be ready.

“Yes.” She can’t look on Byul’s eyes. She feels conscious, she feels .

“Why

“There’s no WHY. Just me, a WITCH that is hated here. And it won’t be long you’ll be the rest of themLIKE THEM.”

“II am not like them.” Byul pinched her nose, one hand on her waist. A feeling of distress. “Was it true? The tell tales they’ve been telling in town?”

“Most of them are lies. It’s true I’m a witch but I didn’t hurt anyone.” The repressed unhealed scars flowed out and her eyes become watery. “When they knew who I am, they started to get hard and calling me names. I didn’t do anything bad to them” Trying not let out a sniff. “What I did earlier was a bit aggressivebut I have to protect myself.” It made her overwhelmed and can’t stop her sobs, she ended up using her hands to cover hers sullen eyes.

Byul give a hug to comfort her. “I believe you and still with you.” She spoke softly.

It made Solar’s sobbing harder. She reciprocated hugging Byul too, tighter even. A part of Byul’s shirt wet by tears but it’s not the time to get worried about it. She keep rubbing Solar’s back, an attempt to make her calm down from crying.

“That wasn’t so dramatic of what I expected.”

 “Dramatic?” Byul chortled. “I know your mind gets too wild at times so I wouldn’t be surprised.”

They laughed.

“Thank you, Byulyi. For believing in me.”

 

Spellbound.

Lately, her eyes always densely focus on Byul. Never even noticed her smile reached to ears whilst her mind floating in air. It’s like she got a whiff of coffee and got her addicted. She been wanting to trace Byul’s nose bridge by her finger tips, she adores it so much, she could try to bite it she’s given the chance to and wanting to hug Byul so tight until her bones made sounds of crack.Okay. It went overboard but that’s how she feel overwhelm currently.

Byul talk animatedly but here she is awestruck.

Holy gate of the seventh kingdom! She feels lighter and free. Doesn’t matter if the town don’t like her but the important thing is she got Byulyi. The person whom Solar she can be herself. She doesn’t need to hide who she is. Hell yes! the town, yes to being free!

She giggled.

Solar’s mind keep screaming Byulyi repeatedly. Her mind running wild, if she isn’t keep proper, she might be rolling in the field, Byul’s name coming out of her lips every time she grab out a single weed. So much madness! Of course she wouldn’t do it, she could die in embarrassment.

She give a chaste kiss on Byul’s cheek instead.

“What was that for?” Byul can’t hide her rosy cheeks.

 Solar whispered. “I like you.” She leans in and give another kiss, this time on the corner of the latter’s lips.

It made Byul’s brain stop functioning. Apparently.

A scream.

Gracious! This is happening. Mutual feelings. Now her inner self is like a kid wanting to grab the candy in front of her.

“Behave.” Solar tried to act stern but then she can’t hide her smile. the way Byul acted, she knew they have the same feelings.

“Yes ma’am.” Byul was willing to play along.  

“Byulyi, do you want to say something to me?” Solar asked.

“I like you too.” She answered, like a squealing puppy.

 

One caught her attention. She heard her lover’s name in someone’s mouth and the gossip wasn’t pleasing at all. She wasn’t the one being talk, but she feel a pang in her chest and a boiling anger. She’s one tick of approaching them but save when her father called. What she feel was forced to set aside and boring halls and people appeared again in the room. She keep her manners intact, and talk to her father’s guest. It’s hard to show interest in the gathering when you aren’t but it’s one of Byul endures to do, though she wish to get out of this room immediately.Not happening, she wait until the end and finally the hell is over.

 

“I’ve noticed. You’ve been quiet.”

The voice breaks Byul’s mind. She purse her lips. “I’ve been thinking…”A pause.  “Have you ever wish that your life should have turn out differently? Or wish that you have choose another choice? Or correct your mistake in the past?”

 Solar dumbfounded. “Did something happen? Tell me.”

“It just a rambling thought.” Byul crawled on Solar’s bed. “Sorry. I think this is all because of the party, got me too tired last night.”

Solar runs a hand on Byul’s hair. “If given you have that chance are you willing to face the consequences?”

“Consequences?”

Her hand stop moving. “There’s always a sacrifice.”

“Wait. So it’s possible, for real?”

Solar nodded.

“Details please.” Byul snuggled to hers, yawning.

Solar contemplates. “I do not have all the information about it but what I know is after you change a past of yours, the succeeding days will not be the same you had before and though you’ll remember those memories like a clear sky to other people it’s non-existent to them, it never happened. It’s only you who carry those memories.”

“Feels like a burden.” Byul exhaled.

She cupped Byul’s cheeks. “If you’re given the chance, are you willing? What about us? I may be your lover today but tomorrow might be not or will become enemies or we didn’t know each other at all.”

 

 “Open it.”

Solar gasped. Each gems shines on her eyes. “You don’t have to.”

“This bracelet will suit you.” She willingly help Solar to wear it, all while the other can’t help but her cheeks heats up. “This might be cliché but when I saw this, you’re the first person that comes to my mind.”

“Cliché indeed.”

Byul laughed.

Solar eyed the bracelet circling around on her wrist and can’t help but comment of how beautiful it is. “It’s beautiful.”

“Just like you.”

“Shut up.” But then she kissed Byul’s lips. “Thank you, I really like it.”

“The maids said you weren’t here last night.”

“I was at my friend.” She explained further why she hadn’t come home last night but Byul was sure her father wasn’t convinced. Her father stayed quiet but keep observing her. She feel like breaking cold sweat by how her father’s eyes stayed on her and never thought her breakfast would be hard to swallow today.

Her excuse is a lie. There’s no way she would tell her father that she was at her lover sleeping warmly at night. Her father is not exactly welcoming in same relationship and so is her uality. A matter she keep secret.

She’d been trying to be sneaky, stealthy as possible but the door creaks when she open it. She’s alarmed immediately afraid the people sleeping will wake up but relieved when they sleep like logs. The moment Byul step out on that door, she run fast and excited to meet Solar.

 

“Hey.” It’s almost funny of how every time Byul sees her, surrounding would seem to brighten.

“Hey.” Solar delightfully runs and jumps towards her, clinging on her like koala. “I thought you’ll never come.”

“I waited when my father is finally on trip and the keepers are sleeping.” Byul kissed her forehead. “I’ll find a way to meet you. Always.”She would do the same. Solar replied. “Byul, there’s something I want to give you.” She added. She hop off on her lover and pulled out an item in her pocket. “Forgive me, this isn’t a new one like you give me but this ring is important to me and given by my mother.”

It’s a ruby ring. True it wasn’t new but she could see it was kept and cared properly.

“An heirloom, you shouldn’t give it to anyone easily.”

“You’re not just anyone Byul, you are my lover and I know will be together for a very long time. I want you to wear and keep it.”

Byul was out of words and the only she did of being thankful was to hug her.

“Nonsense, Child!”  The table was slammed and objects fell down on the floor. “You better stop what you’re doing right now. It’s abomination!” Their voices are so loud inside. The tension made the air hot the maids on side of the door listening.

“NO!” Byul shouts back at her father. She harshly opened the door making the maids scatter quickly. Afraid to get reprimanded by their employer.

“Moon Byulyi! Come back here!” As furious he is, veins in him seen more second goes by. “Dare to take another step out in this house and you can never come back here!” he threatened.

“Then so be it!”

That was her last day to live in that house.

 

“What happened?!” Solar saw Byul standing at her door. Her eyes bloodshot, even her nose red from crying.

“My father knows about us. He said I can never go back at home.” Another tears surge in her eyes. She want to stop crying but they never stop flowing. She wipe the tears by her hands.Letting Solar wrap herself in arms. “I’m sorry.” Solar feels bad. She knew Byul’s father isn’t in favor in relationship like her and Byul have.Moonbyul told her before.

“It’s not your fault.”

“You’re always welcome in here.”

“Are you sure about this, Sir?”

“I want that woman dead. Clearly she manipulated my daughter. You can get the rest of the payment when the job is done.”

It made her frowned when she found her home messy. Her books lying on floor, jars broken and shattered, everything was flip upside down.

 “Byulyi!”

A sudden rush of fright. Panic. Solar searches in the house hoping Byul is alright. In every room she checked it made her heart thumping loud that it’s nearing hard for her to breathe.

And then it stop. Her body heavy like statue, unmoved, eyes can’t blink, mouth loss of words.

Byul.

Blood.

Dead.

Suddenly it becomes black and white. She fell on her knees. “Byulyi.” Her cries was in so much paingut-wrenching, it feels her chest was drilled in. Solar sobbed heavily. Her warm tears fell on Byul’s cold body. Lifeless. Unresponsive.  “Who did this to you?”

She could hear people from far shouting her name, looking for her.

Her sight become crimson.Like Byulyi’s blood.

Wrath and avenge became her cloak.

The town was in fire and she was deaf in their pleading. Their screams was their perfect requiem before they meet their death. The soil was painted red and so her fingers dripping the same hue.

Sun died today, night rose alive.

They’re dead.

No one was left except her.

Darkness welcome her.became her friend and pillar of sanity, to hide her mourning period.

She can’t accept her lover’s death. Desperation. Her journey begins to make Byulyi alive, she climb seven mountains and fight the waves in the seas. For decades hardships and failure was her companion, memories is what her keep living. When she found the sorcery and did it, the sky turn dark and spiral, the thunder and lightning strikes.the sky is mad. Even the earth was open in half. She shout and shout the words until she lost her voice, until she become blind, deaf and lost her strength.

No one knows if she did it correctly.

Solar was found dead.