Introduction: Krystal Jung Soojung

A Portrait of Happiness

The day has finally arrived. I noticed how everybody was all prepared. As my eyes roamed around the area, I began to absorb what this day signifies for all of us.

Students were dressed in their well-ironed solid black togas, with its silk blue hood squarely placed on top. Looking far ahead, the neat array of caps and tassels was a magnificent sight.

The entire student-body was seated at the middle of the Seoul National University auditorium, while the Administrators, Deans of each department, and Department Professors sat gracefully on the chairs arranged at the stage. From where I was sitting, I could already feel their esteemed presence. We were all waiting for this dreaded day.

Our university’s auditorium, that was normally an event venue, was now beautifully accentuated with white and blue decorations of garlands and ornaments. Everything was in its rightful place.

While I was having an endearing moment for this year’s most awaited event, I heard somebody speaking from the podium.

“….It is with great pleasure that I welcome you all to the 74th Graduation Ceremony of Seoul National University.”

Oh, it was our university’s President presenting the Commencement 2020 Welcome Address.

“I would like to extend my warmest congratulations to our beloved students who are about to receive their degrees and certifications today…”

Graduation Ceremony. Batch 2020. It is certainly happening.

“Thank you to everyone who gathered here today, for the unending support and encouragement you have imparted to these students throughout their journey…”

I glanced at the audiences seated at the bleachers while scanning for two pairs of eyes. I stopped and saw them. Sitting serenely with their faces dashing with contentment and happiness, I smiled at them with the greatest warmth I could muster. This one’s for you, Mom and Dad. For all of the love and support you have given me over the years.

 

“As we go on with this ceremony….”

I broke the gaze with my smile still plastered on my face. I looked in front, our President’s welcoming speech is nearing to its end.

“…let me capitalize this wonderful opportunity…”

I took a deep breath. This is it, you got this.

“…to proudly invite to the stage…”

Wow, the nervousness was creeping in.

“…the Valedictorian of Batch 2020 from the College of Fine Arts…”

I exhaled and held my chin up with a smile.

“…Ms. Krystal Jung Soo Jung.”

 

After that, all I heard was applause coming from all corners of the auditorium. Slowly, I rose from my seat and shared a smile to everyone congratulating me.

Each step I took while going up the stage was filled with surge of bliss and satisfaction. The School Administrators, Deans, and Department Professors were looking at my way. I walked towards the podium and soon I reached my destination. I only had an instant to take everything in… yet it felt like time has stopped. 

I began with a small smile. “Before I commence my speech, I would like to spare a moment of gratitude first, to the Heavens above for gracing this momentous occasion; second, to all the parents and/or guardians in this auditorium. Especially my parents, Jung Yunho and Jung Youngmi,” I gazed at my parents. “…for unceasingly loving me and supporting my endeavors; third, to our academic adjudicators, for teaching us that Art is everywhere and it takes a pair of brave and appreciative eyes to witness it. Without any of you, we would not be here today. I would not be here standing in front of everybody. On behalf of the Batch 2020, please accept my heartfelt appreciation...”

Feeling more comfortable now, I continued.

“…Look around you, my fellow students. These walls and pillars are testaments of our hardships and triumphs in this very institution. People may not fully understand what we have gone through in college, but that is okay. It was all true, it does exist. These walls and pillars can attest to it…”

“Over the years, we were taught that Art has many styles and definitions. We have spent semesters, and sweet vacations included…” I heard soft chuckles from the School Administrators, Department Professors and the rest of the student-body.

 “…acquiring the right set of skills to better comprehend the similarities, differences, and knowledge of each art style. And during those semesters and vacations of disappointments, resilience, and accomplishments with you, my fellow batch mates, one single thing made absolute sense.” I watched how the entire venue became silent as they patiently awaited my next words. 

“True enough, each and every art style has its corresponding particular expressions, its manner of portrayal can be subjective to all of us. We have been very much educated with Neo-Classicism, Romanticism, Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, Expressionism, Realism, Contemporary Art and so on. But the general objective, the thing which connects and weaves all kinds of art styles in a single begins from our human experience.”

“Our human experience is the most important of all. We have this ability to feel emotions, to express things, and to relate with others. Which is why, we are lucky to have been able to witness and appreciate the paintings and masterpieces exceptionally crafted by the famous painters and artists across the globe. Their artworks are testimonies of their emotions, intentions, and experiences creatively translated into brave and colorful memoirs.” I paused one last time, looked up and saw my batch, Batch 2020, be in all smiles. “That realization should be our motivation a part of us.”

“…Now, it’s our time to put out what we have learned from within these walls, to partake in lessening the gap between art and all other disciplines, to further encourage the exploration on life, culture and social values. And to influence this world with the boldest of our brush. ”

“Once again, I am Krystal Jung Soo Jung, Batch 2020 Valedictorian of the College of Fine Arts of Seoul National University. Thank you for believing in this batch, for believing in us all.”

After that, I ended the speech with a bow. As I regained my composure, I heard it all again. A round of applause, cheers and sets of “congratulations” came across my way as I headed back to my seat. I gave each one of them my signature smile and returned every “congratulations” with a sincere thank you.

I glanced back at my parents this time, both of them were beaming with glee. Thank you. Without you, none of these would have happened.

The ceremony took its course.

As my surroundings began to quiet down, my thoughts started to drift away, to reminisce the eventful days of my life as a student.

 

Hello. I am Krystal Jung Soo Jung, 22 years old, and the only daughter of Jung Yunho and Jung Youngmi. Our family did not come from a lineage of artists and painters rather this is just something I have always wanted to be since I was young.

Jung. Yes, you have read it right. My family name is Jung. The third most influential name in the corporate world of South Korea. A long family history of entrepreneurs and business magnates attached to my identity. My father owns the long-running renowned Jung Corporation here in South Korea. He is the concurrent and active President of the entire business enterprise.

However even with the wealth and prestige my family has, they never failed to teach me how to value passion and perseverance.

Our corporation rose to the top five influential organizations all over South Korea because of those two: passion and perseverance. As head of the enterprise, my father has always treated the company employees, from high managerial positions to general sanitation services, with respect and importance. They were provided with company benefits, health insurances to the employee and their chosen dependents, plus proper salary pay. He believes that every position in the company is a vital component in preserving the integrity of the entire corporation. In this light, our company’s employees return the service with diligence and enthusiasm.

Many of you are probably wondering why I ventured on Arts instead of preparing myself to succeed the corporation someday. That’s a good question. As interesting as it may sound, well you see, the corporate world is not for me. I am more in touch with my human sensibilities than that of managing an entire company. More so, I do not want my life to be handed to me on a silver platter; I realized this when I was 14 years old. I wanted to establish a name for myself in a field different from my family’s legacy.

I found it on a wooden easel with a white blank canvas.

Arts was not something my parents initially planned for me, but deep down, I wanted it to be. Which is why, on my last year in high school I worked really hard to improve my skills and reassured my parents that I will venture the path I have chosen for me. Sure there had been moments when they continuously questioned if I am going to be happy studying Arts, and if I could still reconsider becoming a company successor then they would make the position readily available for me. Of course, my parents asked that because they were concerned. Right then and there, I specifically told them that love requires sacrifice. That, I love what I do and I find meaning in doing so. Inevitably, there will be instances wherein I will be overwhelmed with dissatisfaction and disappointment, but then again, it’s all going to be part of the process.

After that tender conversation with my parents, they were finally convinced. In showing their fullest support, they have decided to delegate the Creative and Visual Department of the Jung Corporation to annually hold a month-long art exhibition showcasing the crafts and artworks of artists from the art community that our company is supporting. Yes, aside from my own artistic endeavors, I proposed this idea to my parents as well. In the end, they both loved it. Since Dad already has a lot on his plate, we personally asked Mom if she could be the over-all head so that the entire Department could report and answer to her instead.

Slowly, my dreams were turning into reality.

I got accepted to Seoul National University, specifically College of Fine Arts. I majored in Painting from the Department of Painting. I remember how Mom and Dad were so elated and excited. In the first year of college, we had classes designated for learning theories, methods, all accompanied with various mediums. In sophomore year, the classes took it up a notch, advanced classes meant putting your learned theories into practice. We were encouraged to experiment with our means of expressions, and to develop a sense of individuality while approaching the course materials of the program. We have come to learn the basics and intricacies of art theories, art history, analysis and aesthetic foundations of contemporary visual arts.

As every effort thoroughly put into hard work, everything was rewarded with fruition.

In every class, I have managed to maintain my straight A’s. From freshmen year to senior year, I was awarded with the Academic Achiever honors each school year. On top of it all, I have been recognized as the winner of the MMCA Korea Artist Prize 2020 by the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea for my piece “Human Experience as the Boldest of Humanity in this Age of Digital World”.

Now here we are, Graduation day. Looking back, I have worked diligently over the course of four years.

I hope this stellar academic records of mine could help me achieve my dream of becoming a Museum Curator in one of the well-known museums in New York City. “The Met” or The Metropolitan Museum of Art, “MoMA” or The Museum of Modern Art, and Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum to name a few.

Someday, New York City, wait for me! 

Honestly in the duration of those four years, I have not been able to attend to any romantic ideals or entertain suitors, may it be male or female, because my time was majorly spent on enhancing my skills as an Artist. Plus, deep down, part of the reason is that I don’t think relationships are necessary. I’m fine by myself, I am that self-sufficient. I know the value of working hard. Simply said, I don’t need somebody.

 

 

 

…or so I thought.


(Author's Notes will be in red).
So, now you've met our first character: the Krystal Jung. Were you surprised? I really like how being a Valedictorian suits her so much. Like, yes. She may be lowkey but she's definitely driven by passion.  

Let me know what you think about this introduction, feel free to comment your thoughts. Buckle up, I guess you know who's next. ;)