Dreaming of you

Mementos
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dreams cannot compare to see you standing there in front of me

 

-Chloe Moriondo- Dream About U

 

---

Wendy doesn't dream. 


 

At least, not in the last 5 years of her existence. It's quite strange, really, but she isn't bothered by it. Maybe it's because she's not stressed enough to trigger one (or maybe it's the other way around?). Either way, it's not something worth dwelling on.

 

---

 

D-0.


 

"Dreams are manifestations of our unconscious desires or worries."


 

Wendy highlighted her textbook while listening to her professor's voice. They're currently studying about Freud's theory in her Psych 101 class. Seated beside her were her friends; on her left, Seulgi, while on her right, Irene. 


 

"You should note that the basic assumption of his method on dream analysis is that nearly all dreams are wish fulfillments." Their professor paused for dramatic effect.


 

"So, have you guys been dreaming lately? If yes, and if you can recall what you dreamt about, then reflect on it. If no, then just stay silent," the class laughed at the professor, except Wendy who is now gradually wondering why she hasn't been dreaming for the past years. 


 

"Form groups of three, have a discussion about dreams and their manifestations. We'll have a sharing activity later."


 

If it's in any other class she's in, the whole room would be filled with groans and complaints. But it's her Psych 101 class with Professor Taeyeon, so instead of pained sighs, the sound of chairs screeching the floor was heard when the class shifted their seats to face their partners.


 

"Guess that leaves us 3 working again," she heard Irene call out to them. Seulgi flashed them a bright smile, while Wendy nodded. They arranged their seats in a way that they could all see each other. 


 

"So, what did you guys dream of last night?" Seulgi prompted. 


 

Irene spoke first, "I dreamt of someone last night." 


 

Wendy and Seulgi perked up at the statement. Seulgi's eyes widened, while Wendy raised an eyebrow. 


 

"What happened?" Wendy found herself asking.


 

"I don't really remember, but I've been dreaming of her for the past months. Sometimes we're just talking, other times... it's hazy." 


 

Wendy was about to speak when Seulgi cut her off unintentionally, "Yah! Unnie, what if it's a ghost?"


 

Was Seulgi serious?


 

"Seul, why would it be a ghost?" Wendy furrowed her brows at her friend's logic.


 

"I read somewhere that if you dreamt of someone and their face is blurry, then it's probably a ghost staring at you while you sleep." 


 

Irene was startled by the statement that she immediately gripped Wendy's arm, as if clinging for support. Wendy grabbed Irene's hand and started to rub circles on it. She knows that her friend has low tolerance for creepy stories. 


 

The pale blush on Irene's face went unnoticed by Wendy.


 

"Erm," Irene cleared . That really caught her off-guard. "Seulgi, if that's the case, which I highly doubt that it's even real, then no. It's not a ghost, because I know her face."


 

Wendy wanted to prod more. Who? Do you KNOW her? Or only the face? Is it one of her real life--


 

"And no, I don't know her," Irene answered her unspoken questions. 


 

For some reason, Wendy breathed a sigh of relief.


 

Seulgi nodded thoughtfully before sharing her own dream. "Well, I dreamt I was a bear eating a chick. I don't even know what unconscious part of me is manifesting into my consciousness."


 

The three laughed at Seulgi's remark. Once the laughter died down, Wendy spoke.


 

"I haven't dreamt in a very long time."


 

"Hmmm, like, for a month?" Irene questioned.


 

"For 5 years." 


 

"Woah." Her two friends were collectively amazed.


 

"It's fine, I don't really think much about it."


 

Irene and Seulgi could only nod in understanding. 


 

"Class," Professor Taeyeon addressed them, getting their attention. "We'll just postpone the sharing activity for the next meeting because I have an urgent thing to take care of. However, I will be expecting you to make a dream journal."


 

She roamed her eyes to see if there were any objections; seeing nobody complaining, she continued her announcement. 


 

"Nothing fancy, just jot down what your dreams were about for every day of the week until our next meeting. Coordinate with your groupmates, alright? You'll be sharing your thoughts about Freud's dream analysis for next week, whether you agree or disagree with his method."


 

With a final nod, Professor Taeyeon dismissed them.


 

---

 

D1.

 

"We'll meet up every day for three days, after our schedules to work on the assignment, alright?"


 

So that's what they did. They're now sitting inside a discussion room that they rented in their university library. The comfort of the cool wind from the air conditioning unit helped ease the sting that the sun brought upon their skins.


 

"It's so hot today," Seulgi whined while tying her hair into a bun.


 

Irene and Wendy nodded, trying to replenish the energy that was spent from walking under the heat.


 

"So, what did you dream of last night, unnie? And I'm guessing you didn't dream again, Wannie?" Seulgi settled on a seat.


 

"Well, I dreamt of her again." There was a slight tinge of red on Irene's face. 


 

"What happened, Hyun?" Wendy asked, ever curious about the mystery lady in Irene's dreams.


 

"Oh, um, nothing." 


 

"Okay, something definitely happened. Spill." Seulgi leaned over the table, interested in Irene's "unconscious desire".


 

Irene rolled her eyes. "Fine, it's for academic purposes, anyway."


 

Wendy and Seulgi waited in anticipation. 


 

"Well, we kissed."


 

"HOLY SHI--"


 

"Language, Seul!" 


 

"SO WHO IS THE LUCKY GIRL?"


 

Despite Irene's and Seulgi's bickering, Wendy found herself knotted in her own thoughts. Again. Because of Irene's stupid dreams.


 

She felt her stomach drop at the thought of someone kissing Irene.


 

Someone that's not her.


 

"Wannie--"


 

"Seungwan--"


 

"WENDY!"


 

She was snapped out of her musings by her Irene's shout. Wendy smiled sheepishly, embarrassed at spacing out for something... petty.


 

Why am I getting riled up because of some "unconscious" person?


 

She's not jealous, no. She thought. 


 

She's just annoyed at some imaginary person stealing Irene's first kiss. First kisses should be reserved for someone special, right? Not some shadowy figure manifesting in a person's dream! 


 

Holy I am jealous. 


 

Wendy bit her lip, refraining herself from screaming at her sudden realization. 


 

All because of a stupid dream.


 

---

 

D2.

Please log in to read the full chapter