The moment I saw you, I know that I should be by your side

My Friend's Tale

 

Tuesday, 7.35 a.m.

“Annyeonghaseyo, je ireumeun Jang Nara imnida. Mannaseo bangapsumnida”. A new student introduced herself.

 

L sensed that someone was staring at him, so he looked up. When their eyes met, a smile automatically carved from her lips. He didn’t know that smile was going to haunt him starting from that day. He just looked away.

 

 

Wednesday, 7.25 a.m.

“Oppa, annyeong”

 

L began to stiffen when he heard that voice. As usual, he turned up the volume of his iPod and walked away.

 

 

Thursday, 7.20 a.m.

“Oppa, how are you?” Nara hopped beside him.

 

Like always, no response from him. That just made her felt more eager to talk to him.

 

 

Saturday, 10.15 a.m.

“Oppa, have you finished your assignments yet? Because earlier I asked Sungyeol oppa and he completely forgot doing it. Hmm, you do remember doing it, right?” she asked and tugged on his arm sleeve.

 

“Aish, go away you monkey!” he muttered sternly.

“Monkey?” Nara tilted her head slightly.

“Nara!” just then someone was hugging her from behind which made her lose her balance.

 

She gasped and turned around just to find a grinning Sungyeol.

 

“Thank you for reminding me. Luckily, the assignment is just a piece of cake!” he snapped his fingers. “Now I feel like I want to eat a cake, with a lot of cream cheese. I’ll ask from Woohyun to bring me to his family’s café later, wanna join?” his gaze went down to something interesting. “Are you two dating or what?”

 

Both Nara and L looked down at her wrapped arms around his.

 

‘When did I-’ Nara thought.

“Yah, let go” before she could responded he was already free from her grip. He walked away, like always.

“I guess not” Sungyeol answered his own question. “Where are you going?” he asked when she started to walk away from him.

“To Myungsoo oppa” she pointed to where L’s way.

“Wae?” he wiggled his eyebrows.

“He’s all alone” she blinked.

He blinked too. She blinked again. He followed suit. She just did it again. Sungyeol chuckled and pinched her cheek.

“Why are you so worried if he’s alone or not? I know he’s not a pure man but still, he is a man”

“What do you mean that he’s not a pure man?” she tilted her head.

“Well, don’t you think it’s creepy when he stares at everyone like his prey? And when he talks,” Sungyeol shivered jokingly. “His voice only made him like a pure alien”

“Oppa, you’re funny” Nara giggled. “Whatever, I need to accompany him. See you later oppa” Nara walked away.

“Wait, are you going to hang out with us later?”

“That’s why I said ‘see you later, oppa’!” she giggled.

 

 

Monday, 9.45 a.m.

The bell rang indicating that it was break time. Nara didn’t get a chance to greet L in the morning. She didn’t even try to talk to him in the class because of his slightly different behavior. So, the first thing in her mind was to approach him.

 

“Oppa,” she called when she saw him only staring at the window with a solemn expression. “Is there something that bothers you?” she sat down beside him.

“Go away” he said.

“You can tell me” she tugged on his sleeve. “What happen? Your cat died? Or maybe you have a problem with your girlfriend? No?” she guessed and guessed but he never responded to any of it. What Nara didn’t know was that he was sighing all the time. “Family problem?”

 

SLAM!

 

Nara gasped in shock of the sudden noise. She blinked at the enraged L who was standing in front of her.

 

“Why are you so stubborn? Did you not get it that I don’t want to be disturbed? You’re such an annoying person I’ve ever met” his raised his voice.

“I-I’m sorry but I was just concerned s-since you’re my friend” she was trying to control her feeling from crying because of the accusation he just made. “Mianhae, I can’t help it when I see you’re like this. Your eyes, it’s so empty. I just hope that I could at least fill it, so that you would feel a bit better”

“I’m much better without your presence!” what he said made her caught off guard.

‘Maybe I annoyed him to the max’ she bit her lip from quivering. She smiled all her might at him and said sorry again before she went out of the class.

L looked away from her. When the footsteps faded away, he sat back and sighed. He felt somehow guilty. He shook his. Then he saw a lollipop placed on the table. It was his favourite flavor. He picked it up and twirled the lollipop between his fingers.

 

“Friend, huh?” he said quietly. He can’t help it. His mother went home late at night. Her face was pale white because of a fever. He asked her to rest for today but she just didn’t listened. When he asked a permission to take part time job, she refused to allow him to do so. If only his father didn’t ran away with some of his ‘girls’, they wouldn’t have to live in a hard way.

~~~~~

12.16 p.m.

L was sleeping peacefully on the wooden bench that was shielded by a tree in the afternoon. He didn’t felt like eating. Someone covered his already closed eyes.

 

“Guess who?” a voice asked.

‘Aish, this monkey- Wait, she’s not her’ instinctively he slapped the hands away and sat up. He glared at the girl in front of him. “What do you want, Yerim?”

“Aww, you still remember my name,” she winked. “Oppa,” she began to soften her voice which in result made him wanted to vomit. “Teach me in Maths, pwease~ I can’t even understand a single thing, oppa” she batted her eye lashes.

“Then what were you actually do during class?” he crossed his arms.

“Daydreaming of you” she smiled innocently, more like trying to be like one.

“Your loss” he said. He cannot stand for being too close to her. She already had a boyfriend and yet she was flirting at him.

“But-” before she could finish her sentences, L stood up from the bench.

“Ask your boyfriend to do it” he said firmly and left her alone.

~~~~~

6.45 a.m.

Nara was walking home from school and passed the dark alley when she heard a grunting sound along with some murmurs from somewhere. She stopped walking and looked around.

 

“Ghost?” she whispered.

 

Being a curious one she went to search for the ‘ghost’.

 

“You illegitimate child!” the person kicked the victim. “How dare you flirt on my girl!” he punched him in the face.

 

Nara was peeking from behind the wall. She scrunched her eyebrows to see the people fighting, in the correct term was bullying though. She analyzed the victim carefully.

 

“Myungsoo oppa?” her eyes widened in fear. She saw bloods coming from his nose and mouth. ‘Why won’t he fight back?’

“No wonder you got bad reputation,” L was grabbed by his collar. “Cause your own mother is just as bad as you are. Go die, b******!” L grew furious and glared hard at the person who already swung his fist forward.

“Andwae, Myungsoo oppa!” there was a screamed, a familiar one. L widened his eyes.

 

THUMP!

 

“Y-you” he stared at Nara who already collapsed in front of him. He furrowed his eyebrows. ‘He did not just hit her’ his body grew rigid. He clenched his fist and threw a glare at the guy who was still shocked at what happened. “You! You’re dead!” he growled. He punched the guy hard in the jaw making him stumbled backwards.

 

Nara managed to get up. She touched her cheek and hissed in pain. Her head was slightly dizzy but she managed to recover fully. But what she saw was an unpleasant view to her eyes.

 

“Myungsoo oppa, stop!” she shouted at L who punched the guy that was already looking vulnerable. “Oppa, jebal~” her voice croaked.

 

L weren’t satisfied. He was mad that he insulted his mother. He was mad because he hit her. His strength weakens when he heard a quiet sobs. He stared at Nara. Her beautiful face was already covered with her tears.

 

“Oppa, let’s just go home” she rubbed her eyes so that no more tears flow out.

 

He hates it. He really hates to see a girl cry. Then he realized that it was him who made her cry. He crouched down to her level and helped her to get up.

 

“Gomawo-” she yelped when L lifted her up bridal style. She stared at his face. It was unreadable.

“Don’t ever judge me again. Mind you that I’m not an illegitimate child. To think that my mother raised me up alone doesn’t mean that she’s the person you think she is. I hate guys who touched girls in a wrong way. And stop bothering me” he gave him the last looked and walked away.

 

They never talked along the journey. Nara just leaned on his chest as the night began chilly. She unconsciously snuggled closer to the warmth. L noticed this. Strangely he didn’t object.

 

“We’re here” he said.

Standing in front of her was her house. ‘How did he know that I live here?’ Nara stood back on her feet.

“Don’t forget to put ice on it. And make sure you go to the clinic. Don’t even come back to school if you’re not recovering fully” he frowned. “Got it?” he said.

She nodded. “You too, oppa. Please don’t get sick and don’t forget to treat it right away. I’m going inside now. Thank you” she said faintly.

“Hm” was all he said and left the area.

 

 

Thursday, 7.15 a.m.

It’s been three days after the incident but Nara never showed up. It was understandable because of her condition. According to the letter, she will start going to the school today.

 

“Annyeong” a voice from behind called.

 

Almost immediately L turned around. “What do you want?” he frowned.

“I’m sorry if my boyfriend did something horrible to you. He’s just jealous, so I left him after I found out about it. Glad that you’re healthy as usual. I’m single now too. So we don’t have to bother him anymore. He’s a troublesome guy” she smiled hoping that L knew what she meant.

“So?” was all he responded to it. “I don’t care if I’m okay or not. It’s Nara that I concerned right now. She was hit hard on the jaw, got that? And I don’t even want to know about your status. But I suggest you to come back to him, because you know what? For an idiot, you two actually made a perfect couple,” he smirked.

“H-how could you s-said that?” she began to cry.

 

L didn’t even bother to look. He left the place immediately and entered his class. He looked at Nara’s empty seat. ‘When will she shows up? It’s not typical for her to be late’ L frowned. Every now and then he gazed on his wristwatch. ‘The first bell is going to ring soon’ he bit his thumbnail and stomped his foot.

 

RING!!

 

L sighed and went out to his next class.

~~~~~

10.20 a.m.

Don’t forget to put ice on it. And make sure you go to the clinic. Don’t even come back to school if you’re not recovering fully~

Don’t even come back to school if you’re not recovering fully~

“Aish, michigeta!” he scratched his head. “Pabo, why did you say like that?” he talked to himself making people looked at him weirdly. “What?!” he glared.

“Please be quiet” the librarian warned.

“Aish” he went out from the library. Now that he didn’t have class till the end of the school day, he went to the cafeteria since he skipped break time. He saw Sungyeol, Woohyun and Sunggyu in there.

“L-ah, here!” Sungyeol waved. L went to him.

“Ooh, he actually heard you” Woohyun patted Sungyeol’s shoulder.

“Where’s Nara?” L asked straightforward question.

“Eh?” they said in unison.

~~~~~

10.45 a.m.

“I thought you were in the class when she arrived just when it was break time” Sungyeol said.

“I saw L went out early, so he doesn’t have a chance of seeing her” Sunggyu in.

“Since her father is superintending the business, he must travel a lot. She said she needs to go to the airport and…yah, where are you going?”

 

After hearing enough info from Woohyun, L found himself dashing out to the school gate. ‘Why am I running? Stop it, L’ but his body won’t listened. ‘Gah, I hate drama’ when he thought about the typical romantic scene where the hero was trying to stop the heroin from leaving. He began to get confused. A romantic scene? Him and Nara? L shook his head.

 

HONK!! HONK HONK!!

CRASH!!

 

~~~~~

11.00 a.m.

“Breaking news! An accident occurs near Xxx Street involving a car and a person. The driver and passengers were injured lightly while the other victim that was crashed with the car was sent immediately to the hospital for urgent treatment.” A reporter then interviewed the witnesses and asked for more details about the accident.

 

“Myungsoo oppa!” Nara’s eyes widened.

“What is it, Nara?” her father asked.

“The guy in the news, he’s my friend” she began to get worried. “Appa…” she bit her lips. Her father just smiled and nodded.

~~~~~

After accepting interviews from the police and reporters, L was getting ready to go to the airport again. That was when he saw the airplane passed by in the sky. Automatically his heart dropped. ‘I didn’t make it in time’ he breathed in shakily.

 

“L oppa?” a voice from behind asked.

L looked up. ‘Am I hallucinating? I guess I am’

“Oppa, Myungsoo oppa?” the voice from behind said unsure.

“M-Myungsoo oppa?” his eyes widened in realization. She’s the only person who always called him by his name. He looked back. Nara was standing in front of him. He walked to her rather fast and controlled his urge to hug her right now.

“Nara”

Nara smiled. It was the first time she heard her name being called by him. “Oppa, are you okay? Did you hurt anywhere? I saw the live news” her eyes scanned to all parts of his body. She stared at his face. He seems…happy? Before she knew it, she was squished in his embrace.

“Yah, why didn’t you come to school today? I was waiting for you since morning. It’s been three days that you’re absent. I felt…lonely” he had the trouble for saying the last word.

“I’m sorry if I made you worried. I’m sorry for troubling you. I’m sorry that I annoyed you. It won’t happen again” she patted his back.

“I don’t care about it anymore. Annoyed me as much as you want from now on”

‘What happened to him? I thought he hate it’ Nara gasped lightly when he cupped her cheek. ‘Is he going to…?’

“How’s your jaw?” he slightly rubbed it.

Her face reddened thinking that he was going to kiss her. It’s getting better”

“Yah, are you really okay? Your face is all red” he frowned.

“I-I uh the weather is hot, that’s why” she laughed nervously.

“Uh-huh” he raised an eyebrow.

She laughed it off. “Stop asking me if I’m okay or not. I’m really okay, oppa. It’s just that I felt guilty for not sending off my father properly” she sighed.

“Mwo?” then L realized what’s really happening. “So, you’re not leaving?”

“I was planning to but appa understands me well. He knew that I don’t like going overseas frequently so from now on I’ll be living with a few maids in the house” she beamed again.

“I’m glad” he said.

“Eh, did you say something oppa?” she tilted her head.

“No” he shook his head. When Nara didn’t look at his way, he smiled.

 

 

Saturday, 12.10 p.m.

“Nara?”

“Ne, oppa?” she looked up from the book she read.

“Why do you determine to make friends with someone like me?”

“You’re just like me” she shrugged.

“You mean?” he leaned in front of her.

“Somehow I can read your eyes” she smiled.

“Can you read it now?” he tilted his head and a glint of playful were shown in his eyes.

“Hmm~” she also leaned in. She looked at the beautiful orbs. It was somewhat sparkling. Ever since he was trying to opening up to her, his heart began to warm up and there’s a slight change of his behavior when he’s around her. She didn’t even realize that they nearly closed the gap between them. Just a millimeter away, they will be…

“Aigoo~ don’t act all lovey dovey in the library, please” Sungyeol said.

“Oppas” she leaned back to her seat quickly.

“Bad Nara” Sungyeol wiggled his fingers.

Sunggyu and Woohyun just waved their fists like a child indicating their hyper mode.

L just smiled slightly. ‘What am I trying to do earlier? I wonder where our friendship will leads to. I have a feeling that we can go further…’ he stared at Nara softly.

 

Both of them stared into each other eyes.

DUP DAP! They could feel their heart beating.

DUPDAP! DUPDAP! And it’s beating hard.

‘I think I’m…’