02: The beginning of the truth (Part II)

Demon Slayer

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!" a shriek reverberated throughout the whole building as a flash of light illuminated out of the window. Surprisingly, none of them seemed to hear......

"Kanao! Where are you?" Kanae yelled as she tried calling Kanao but to no avail. Just as she was about to leave the pool, she caught a glimpse of a paper attached to her backpack. Curiously, she picked up the note and it read, "Gone out for a short walk. Will be back soon. Signed, Kanao."  Sighing, Kanae shook her head as she went back to the pool, her worries soon forgotten. 

"Where are you taking me to?" Kanao asked for the hundredth time when he didn't reply. "You'll see later." He said with a wink as Kanao reluctantly followed suit with a blush on her face. She wished she had taken the time to process all the things earlier on instead of agreeing to teleport with him. Though she couldn't blame him for his cute face and azure eyes - the colour that she had always love since young. She blushed at the thought as she flashed back her memory earlier on......

With her too familiar powerful , she immediately reached the boy in a few seconds. As soon as she got up to the surface, she suddenly realised that there was a crowd of people around her. As the boy turned to face her, she suddenly realised how cute and hand-some the boy was. Well, not really thatt handsome, but he was pretty popular for his age. Her heart thumped as her face turned slightly red. "Oh! Hi, I'm Tanjiro Kamado. What's your name?" The boy greeted her as he shook out his hand. "Um... Mi.. ine's Kanao." Kanao stammered, not knowing what to do. "Nice name." Tanjiro grinned as he turned to face his 'fans'. "Sorry, but could y'all leave us alone? I have something to talk to h..her..." Tanjiro apologised as he place his hand over his forehead. His 'fans' looked annoyed at the thought of him talking alone with Kanao, but reluctantly left them alone with a grumble. Startled, Kanao backed away. Why is he asking for a private chat? Who on earth is he? Determined, Kanao was about to ask him about the mark when Tanjiro used his index fingle and placed it on her lips, indicating her to keep quiet. Slowly, he led her to an alley nearby with his mouth clamped over Kanao's mouth. 

"Thank goodness! They’re finally gone!" Tanjiro heaved a sigh of relief. "Um..., can you remove ur hands?" Kanao asked, her voice muffled. "Oh! Sorry!" Realization struck him as he quickly removed his hands with a red face. 

Millions of question raced through Kanao's mind as she blurted out, "Why do you have the same mark as me? Who are you? Why did you led me here?" "Whoa whoa whoa! Calm down! Which question do you expect me to answer?" Tanjiro said with his eyes widened. Kanao breathed as she asked carefully, "Why... do you have the same mark as... me?"

"As I expected," Tanjiro grinned as light flashed through his hands. "This might startled you but I won't harm you. Trust me." He said seriously as he took out his hand. Instinctively, Kanao took his hand as light begin to flashed across the alley until they could no longer be seen. 
 

Why did I do that? I'm so dumb! What if he is a kidnapper? And what did he meant by I'm his kind?  Wild thoughts raced through Kanao's mind as she looked at Tanjiro. No... I can't just back down now. I'm here for answers, and I'm gonna get them. 
 

All of a sudden, the world turned dark as light slowly seep through the darkness. Gingerly, Kanao opened her eyes, only to be greeted by the most amazing sight she had seen. Her eyes widened in surprised as Tanjiro grinned, "Beautiful, isn't it?" Kanao nodded, lost for words. "This is called the 'Gateway', which is the path between humans and Eberrons. Many years ago, the humans were at war with us. Blood was shed everywhere, and the  whole city was destroyed. Completely. The Eberrons swore to kill every humans in their way. However, ever since the humans were in peace, we decided to end the feud and live our own ways." Tanjiro explained, as he glanced above the high wall in front of them. "We? What do you mean? I'm just a human." Kanao argued. 
 

"No. You're one of us, an Eberron, or I suppose. I was just surprised by your skin colour when I first saw you. But when I saw your mark, I knew it must be you. Strangely, I couldn't see it the first time I met you..." Tanjiro mumbled the last sentence as Kanao looked at him in confusion. "Let's get going. The twelve Councillers, or the Twelve Pillars are waiting for us." Tanjiro smiled once again.
 

As soon as Tanjiro touched the wall, the wall cleared, as if it vanished into thin air. Kanao stepped across it in amazement as the wall behind them slowly appeared. "We might need to take another trip, hold on!" Tanjiro yelled as wind begun to howl as they vanished. 
 

"Whoaaaaa!" Kanao yelled in horror as the world begin to spin. As soon as her feet touched the ground, she steadied herself, mumbling that for the first time in her life, she had missed the ground. "I see you have arrived, Tanjiro, and Miss Kanao here." A voice reverberated throughout the whole room as Kanao turned around. To her surprise, there sat the twelve councillers on their own throne. Each of them were composed and Kanao had the urge to bow to them. 
 

" I see... this is the girl that was bought from er-hem, there... she truly is unique." The councillor wearing the green cape said, his long beard. "Unique? I should say we kill her." The dark brown skin man growled. 
 

Kill? What do they meant by that? They couldn't possible do that right? Kanao's mind wandered off to when Tanjiro said that the Eberrons had a feud with the humans. No, she had to be cautious. Suddenly, a woman with a deep voice laughed, "Tsktsktsk. Oh honey, no wonder no one likes you." The man glared at her and looked away with a snarl. 
 

"Um... are you two married?" Kanao asked timidly. All twelve councillers stared at her as silence filled the air. It was the woman who broke it. "Married? No no my dear, we're divorced." She smirked. Kanao's face turned red in embarrassment as she wished to bury her head into the ground and never get up again. 
 

The middle counciller coughed, as he turned to face the box just beside him. The lock on the box was unlocked, but there was still another lock. Slowly, he unlocked all four locks that Kanao had never seen in her life with different writings on it. Strangely, her mind 'clicked', and she seemed to be familiar with it. 
 

The middle counciller took out a scroll in it, as he begin to announced,"On the day of the full moon, where snow starts to fall, a princess will be born. She will lead the world, regaining peace and harmony will soon arrived. In the deepest woods and the darkest side of the world, a baby will be awaken, with a butterfly mark on her shoulder..." 

Everyone listened in silence, as their eyes shifted to Kanao. Confused, she asked once again, "She... is me?" The twelve councillers looked at one another, as if a secret conversation was going on. 

"We apologise, miss Kanao, Tanjiro here has told us that you have a butterfly mark, so we have brought you here, believing that you are the person written in the prophecy." The middle counciller explained. 
 

"But.., how could I be the person? I mean, I'm just a human!" Kanao exclaimed in disbelief. "No, we have collected your DNA the moment you stepped through the gate, and it proves that you are one of us." The counciller with short wavy brown hair said. 

 

"What... but how? Does... does that means... I'm not a human? Then... what about my family? Are they all.. fake?" Kanao murmured as realisation hit her like a twenty-pins sledgehammer. It was as if the world had turned upside down. 
 

All of a sudden, a smell hit her as her world turned blurry. She saw the apologetic look on Tanjiro's face as everything turned black.