01: The beginning of the truth

Demon Slayer

"Wake up Kanao! We're gonna be late!!!" a familiar voice reverberated throughout the whole house as Kanao groaned, trying to drown her sister's voice by using the pillows on her bed to cover her ears but to no avail. Her twin, she meant, not like they look anything similiar. Her twin's rosy cheeks, wavy brown hair resembles too much of their parents' hazlenut short hair. There was almost nothing of her similar to her parents, well, except her lilac eyes, which was a darker shade than her parents. As she began to change her clothes, her eyes looked past the mark and made her recall of an accident that happened to her when she was five. She remembered that fateful day, when she was just five, she was running across the road untill she was knocked down by a car, and that left a butterfly mark on the left side of her shoulder. She remembered the time when she woke up and saw the werid mark. No matter how many times she tried to scrub it away, the mark still stayed there. Strangely enough, when she tried to show it to her parents and the doctors, they replied frowning that there was no mark at all. Instead, it only made her parents more worried, thinking that their child was having some side effects due to the accident, which caused even more frenzy within the hospital. At first, she thought they were pulling a prank on her, but the serious and anxious look in her sister's eyes definetely told her it was not. Scarily, there was nothing to be found when she tried searching the internet of a butterfly mark. It basically said that there was no results for 'butterfly mark'. It was as if someone intended this to happen. 

"Kanao! Tia won't be happy if you miss her Primary 6 graduation-birthday-pool party! Especially when you promised her, our best friend to be on time, Ms Sleepy-Head!" her sister, Kanae, yelled for the hundredth time, waking Kanao up from her reverie. Sighing, she quickly wore her swimsuit before wearing an overalls over it. The icy blast of cold wind hit her face as she stepped out of the door. Tia must be in a wrong state of her mind. Seriously? A pool party in the middle of Autumn?!  Kanao screamed in her mind. Though she couldn't blame Tia for her likeness of cold, she still regretted not preventing Tia from having a pool party. 

The pool was just a few blocks away and soon, she arrvied at the location. "Kanao! You're late again!" Tia shook her head disapprovingly, but there was a glint of mischief in her eyes. Kanao rolled her eyes and said," It's 8.01a.m. I'm just a minute late." "Exactly! You was suppose to come at 8.00." Tia cried out, wrungling her hands in the air, like it explained everything. "Tia! Let's just get ready for the party, you wouldn't like to keep your guests waiting, will you?" Kanae grinned, as she dragged Tia into the bathroom. Kanao sighed for the millionth time, and followed suit.

"Hey everyone! Today, is not only my birthday, but also our final Primary 6 graduation pool party! I hope all of you will enjoy yourselves and make use of today to say goodbye to everyone!" Tia yelled as she pressed the button beside her, and loud blaring noises soon begun, indicating the start of the party. Kanao winced as she dived into the pool, trying to block the noise of the music. Since young, she has always been a fan of water, especially swimmng. Her swim coach often said that if she were to train a few more years, she could probably enter the Olympics, which was her dream. Swimming always make her felt free, and her worries dissipate into the water when she was swimming. Her friends were wary of her talent and often found the chance to compliment her, like today. "Amazing! Kanao, it's a pity you stopped swimming when you were ten." Her classmate, and her nemesis, Tricia, smirked as she sashayed down the asile of the pool. "Oh! I heard your brain had some problems so you needed to go to the hospital to fix it!" Tricia's best friend, Colleen snarled. "Well, at least I'm not a dumb barbie doll who only knows how to do makeup and al-ways get the lowest mark in class. Oopsie, it should be the top 2 lowest mark in the whole school, am I right?" Kanao said, as both of them turned red in embarrassment, and perhaps anger. Kanae grinned and gave Kanao a thumbs-up as Kanao went back to her swimming. 

Her mind went back to her ten year old self, as her mind replayed over and over again, what her coach had said, "I'm sorry Kanao, but your brain have been having some problems and it will affect other students' performances if I need to keep a look out for you. I think I can't continue it with you anymore." That day's news was a thunderbolt that had struck through her body. It was probably the last, and worst news she had in her entire life. It was not her fault though, as she really had saw the guy creating a 'tornado' in the waters. The water underneath was twirling like a tornado, except that the guy who created it was definetely not a human. The weirdest thing was that when she told the coach, there was no 'tornado' to be found, and the boy too. Importantly, she seemed to have lost her memories as she couldn't remember what the boy looked like. The only thing she remembered was the familar glowing light of the 'wave mark' on the boy's body. If she could find him, she'll probably have thousands, or billians of questions. Like, How did the boy have the same mark as her? What is he? Why did he appear in the pool? 

Just at that moment, she suddenly saw a light shining at the end of the pool. What was that? Gingerely, she slowly swim towards the weird light. Her heart punded against her ribcage furiously as realisation struck her like a twenty-pund sledgehammer-the mark she had seen two years ago-the wave mark which she saw on the boy's left shoulder. It couldn't be. After all these years, why and how did the boy appeared here? Wild thoughts flashed through her mind as she tried thinking of all the possiblities that would answer her questions. The more she thought, the more she realised that the answer was just infront of her.

That boy, is her answer to everything.