What girls like most?

What girls like most?
"Yah, Lee Hyukjae," Donghae leaned closer to the mirror, making sure his hair looked absolutely perfect.
"Tomorrow's Sarah and I's anniversary. I've been trying to think of a present.. and I can't seem to come up with any good ideas." He finally pulled back and glanced at his roommate with a small pout, "Suggestions?"
 
For a brief moment, Hyukjae looked at Donghae mellowly, assessing the situation. "Ah! I've got one! Flowers~
Easy to get and please almost any woman."
 
Donghae rolled his eyes and turned back to the mirror, slouching his back, "Well, those are obvious. I've already
gotten her some of those..."
 
Hyukjae flopped onto the couch and muttered into the armrest, "Then why do you need anything else?"
 
"I don't know, I just really want to do something special for her... What do girls like most?"
 
Hyukjae laughed and rolled onto his side, "Chocolate? Clothes? Shoes? I hear a lot of girls are head over heels for
shoes." His gummy smile spread, "Heh, get it? Head over HEELS for SHOES. You know, heels are shoes..." He faded off when Donghae gave him the, 'no.. just, no' look. 
 
"I need something sentimental," Donghae insisted.
 
This time Hyukjae rolled off of the couch with a loud thud, "Achhhhhh, eh, couple rings?"
 
"Been done."
 
"Stop looking at your freakishly weird face in the mirror and come over here to talk to me."
 
With a sigh, Donghae complied.
 
Hyukjae grabbed his friend's face and pinched his cheeks somewhat painfully, "So, what in the world have you
not bought Sarah?"
 
"Uhh... I honestly don't know."
 
"Ahhh! So, don't buy her anything!" Hyukjae released Donghae, beaming.
 
The latter frowned, "What? You're no help!"
 
"Nono~ You don't understand," Hyuk giggled, "MAKE her something! That's as sentimental as it gets."
 
"Flowers and a homemade gift?" Donghae's handsome face was suddenly handsomer, "That does.. actually sound
really good. Now the question is.. what do I make her?"
 
"You certainly are not going to cook her anything. We need something that lasts."
 
"So, we're stuck where we started?" Donghae let out a deep breath and sank into the couch.
 
Hyukjae speedily grabbed his computer, "Not at all! This is what the internet was made for!"
 
"That is not tr-"
 
"Do I care?" the "anchovy" plopped down next to the "fish," and they began their search.
 

You gently brushed off you dress and made quick poses in front of your vanity. 
 
Make up! Check.
 
Bow? Check!
 
Beautiful smile practice~ Check~
 
You and Donghae were going on your first real dinner date tonight. The thought of it brought the famous
butterflies to your stomach. You couldn't help but let out an anticipatory squeal.
 

 
He was late.
 
You rested your chin in the palm of your hand looking longingly at the ceiling. Five minutes passed to ten, ten to
twenty. 
 
...Was he not coming?
 
Suddenly, your eyes were covered. "Donghae-ya?" You quickly turned around, the smile you'd practiced earlier
naturally making its way onto your face.
 
"Wahh~! Caught so fast!" Donghae smiled down at you, slipping a bouquet of flowers onto your lap before sitting
down across from you. 
 
You quickly hid your smile and gave him a glare, allowing yourself to take in his attire. He was dressed in a dark
blue dress shirt, black pants, and a black tie. Nothing too fancy, but not casual. It was perfect. The edges of your mouth twitched, longing to be let go. Before you could give away your cover, you quickly commented, "You look nice."
 
"You look... amazing." Donghae widened his eyes dramatically, making sure you knew that he was definitely
checking you out.
 
"Thanks," you murmured, blushing slightly. You had to remind yourself to be mad, "You're late."
 
"You sure you're not early?" He winked and reached across the table to grab your hand, "I'm sorry,
Sarah, I had some last minute things to take care of." You raised your eyebrows at him questioningly. He chuckled, "You'll find out soon enough."
 
You sighed, giving him a disappointed look. He didn't budge. Finally, you gave up and moved onto the most
important topic at the time, at least, according to your stomach, "I'm starving~ Is the service here usually quick?"
 
He gave you an amused look, "Known as the best in the area. Would you expect any less from me? Hungry, eh?
Just don't eat my wallet empty."
 
"Yah!" You playfully hit his hand, embarrassed.
 
Donghae took his other hand and clasped yours firmly, in a heartwarming way, "You can abuse me at home, just
try to keep it down in public." His face was concerned and hurt, but his eyes shone with laughter. As your face grew redder, he slowly withdrew, putting his hands up as a shield, "Now, now Sarah, calm down." He looked around desperately for a distraction. In all honesty, he was sincerely afraid of the bouquet you brandished as a weapon. "Look!" He pointed with a relieved smile, "the waiters are coming. You... talk to them. I'll be right back."
 
Momentarily sedated at the thought of food, you calmly put the bouquet back onto the table.
 
"Excuse me, miss, but I've been asked to request that you look out at the balcony." 
 
You smiled civilly at the waiter and nodded your head in compliance. You then looked out the large glass window,
expecting to see something grand and spectacular. What you saw... was not.
 
Standing in complete formal wear was a very frazzled Hyukjae. He was looking around, making motions to
someone out of sight. Your heart sank. So much for the much-anticipated surprise.
 
Then, he appeared. 
 
Donghae was carrying one of those jumbo-sized notepads. It was nearly as big as he was, so he and Hyukjae
worked together to hold it up. On the first page, in big, bold letters it read:
 
"To My Sarah..."
 
You glanced around, hoping no one saw it. This was sweet.. but wasn't it a bit over the top? You started to turn
away, lowering your face.
 
Seeing your discomfort, before you could look away, Donghae quickly turned the page.
 
"I still remember our first date..."
 
Your eyes widened at the sudden color on the page. A simple outline of a box was drawn... with many, many fish.
You laughed.
 
"That aquarium was more like a pet store!"
 
You nodded, slowly becoming less and less embarrassed. Donghae turned it again.
 
"You looked absolutely stunning, and I'm sorry it wasn't what you expected it to be."
 
A drawn picture of them observing the fish, holding hands.
 
"We've been on many dates since then,"
 
A cute picture of him sleeping with his head in your lap. 
 
For a moment, you thought about all the things you'd done with him in the past year.
 
"The movies, the park, the arcade... you kicked at the arcade."
 
You smiled bashfully at the picture of you with your foot on his back. He was laying flat on the floor, defeated, X's
for his eyes and fire for yours. There was an arcade drawn skillfully in the background.
 
"Each time I see you, make up or not, you get more and more beautiful."
 
A beautiful patch of flowers was drawn across the bottom of the page.
 
"I'm so happy that we've been together long enough to have such an occasion. This is our first anniversary,"
 
A big fancy number one.
 
You laughed, so corny.
 
"Let's make many more!"
 
The page was divided into eight blocks, each with a prospective future date.
 
"Saranghae."
 
This page was blank and white, like the first.
 
Your eyes grew hot. Donghae had put so much effort into this.. 
 
"Let's fill that last page this year, so next time, I'll have something we both did together." Donghae was beside you,
bending down so that his face was level with yours.
 
You immediately wrapped your arms around his neck in a fierce hug. The tears that had been forming escaped
and rolled down your cheeks. His arms went around your waist and pulled you close to him before whispering in your ear, "Happy Anniversary Sarah."