Car CrUsh

Sunny Side Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Summary: Joohyun accidentally hits Seungwan with her car. In order to avoid getting a fine, she comes up with a great idea. (Fluff)

 

 

(…)

 

 

 

Seungwan had lots of moods. Today her dial was set to ‘good’. That meant nothing could go wrong, everyone was lovely and only the most optimistic of forecasts - on any topic - would do.

 

Under the gentle spring sun, its rays warmed her skin. The nascent leaves had that soft green and the ground was scattered with vivid blooms whose petals danced in the breeze. Seungwan loved spring. She could drink it up like her favorite cup of tea. Instead she spread her fingers wide and fanned them through the damp air - like she used to do when she was a kid trying to fly, only now it was just something that made her smirk. Birds above flitted from branch to branch, letting out their sweet melody. If this day was a beautiful restaurant dish it would be a fresh salad with feta cheese and olives. If it was a drink it would be a chilled glass of white wine. But Seungwan preferred to think of it as music, and so with each step she listened to her favorite song through her earphones and hummed along.

 

Today was going to be a good day for many reasons. First and foremost, it was her first day at work after the big promotion she had gotten last week. After many years of hard work, Seungwan had managed to become a trustful heart surgeon. Not only that, but also her best friend, Seulgi, was getting married this week and Seungwan couldn’t be more excited. Her soon-to-be wife, Sooyoung, was a lovely woman and Seungwan trusted her with all her heart. Sooyoung and Seulgi were a perfect match. The preparations for the wedding had started months ago but the closer they got to the wedding day, the more anxious Seungwan became. Everything had to be perfect for her best friend’s wedding.

 

The dress Seulgi had recently made her buy for the wedding hugged her body in such a way that she was sure she was going to make lots of mouths hang open. Honestly, though, Seungwan didn’t like this kind of attention. She preferred getting attention because of her achievements as a surgeon or because of her smart brain but Seulgi insisted that she wear that dress on the wedding. She couldn’t say no to her best friend after all.

 

The song that was playing through her earphones suddenly stopped, making Seungwan sigh. Her phone had been acting up lately, she had to buy a new one. Maybe she should stop spending her money on useless stuff and save it for something she actually needed - a phone in this case. With a swift move she took the phone out of her pocket and unlocked it, searching for the reason why the music app had decided to stop working.

 

Unknowingly, she walked off the pavement and onto the road, still focused on her phone. A loud horn made Seungwan realize that she was standing right in the middle of a one-way road. Her heart raced and she immediately ran to the other side, sadly letting her phone slip out of her hands. She watched as the car ran right in front of her, breaking the phone into million pieces. Oh well, it anyways.

 

“Watch where you’re going, stupid!” She heard the driver yell while speeding off. He wasn’t wrong, she should really be more careful. Her earphones dangled from her ears, almost touching the ground, disconnected from the poor phone.

 

Seungwan wasn’t surprised at all. People around this area were known for their lack of driving ability. It wasn’t the first time Seungwan had gotten in a situation like this and definitely not the last. She always wondered how the hell people here had gotten their driver’s license. This was the main reason why she didn’t use her car to go to work, although being a pedestrian wasn’t any better. Another reason why she didn’t use the car often was to protect the environment. Walking is eco-friendly!

 

Less than ten minutes later, Seungwan stood in front of the hospital’s main door, ready for her first day as a heart surgeon. When she stepped in, she was greeted by many of her colleagues - that rarely paid attention to her - and a few patients even bowed to her. Wow, this new white coat and new name tag with ‘Heart Surgeon’ written right under her name made her feel so powerful.

 

“Son Seungwan!” She heard a voice coming from the hallway behind her and turned around only to see her friend Yeri rushing towards her.

 

“Good morning, Yeri,” she greeted her with a smile, which Yeri mirrored.

 

“First things first,” Yeri started, “Congratulations on your promotion! You look so cool in this coat!”

 

“Thank you,” Seungwan shyly scratched the back of her head. She wasn’t used to compliments.

 

“Now,” Yeri continued, looking left and right suspiciously, “Bring me a cup of coffee because I’m so sleepy I’m going to die.”

 

Seungwan frowned, “What? No, I just came in. Go buy it yourself.”

 

“Seungwan, please! I’m only an intern, I can’t just leave, I might miss something important! You, on the other side, have nothing to do right now. I don’t see anyone having a heart attack,” she gestured around the room.

 

“That’s not how it works–“

 

“Pretty please! C’mon, the coffee shop is right across the street,” Yeri begged. Seungwan rolled her eyes, “Fine, but you owe me–“

 

“Great! I’ll be in room forty five. Oh, and no sugar please!” The intern gave her a side hug and ran towards said room. With a sigh, Seungwan did a one-eighty turn and passed by the same people she did less than two minutes ago.

 

 

Fresh air hit her face once she stepped out of the hospital and that was when she realized she might not have enough money to pay for Yeri’s coffee. Opening her bag, she searched for the needed amount of money or even a card.

 

Seconds later, she found out that she had two cards with her, which was perfect, but she also found out that she stood right in the middle of a road once again. She should really stop doing this. Just like last time, a loud horn pierced her ears.

 

But this time she wasn’t fast enough. When she turned her head, the car was already in front of her, coming at full speed. Her brain stuttered for a moment and her eyes took in more light than she expected, every part of her went on pause.

 

At the last second, she jumped. The car hit her body and she screamed. Her bones and muscles felt like they were being crumbled and smashed into a tiny box. Her lungs contracted with such force that she was afraid they would fold into themselves. The world must have kept flickering its figurative light switch because her vision kept flashing from bitter darkness to blinding white light.

 

The only sound that filled her ears at first was the crushing of glass mixed with the distinct crackles of her bones. Then she heard a woman yell something - she couldn’t understand what. The voice became louder and louder until the yelling woman was in her sight.

 

“You’re bleeding!”

 

“That’s a bit of an interesting angle for her leg to go at.”

 

“That’s a lot of blood...” she heard people speak, gathering around her, as if she was a painting at an art museum. She tried to move her head in order to see what they were referring to, but it was an impossible task.

 

“I can’t move,” she groaned, paralyzed from the neck down.

 

“Hold on, they’re coming, okay?” A female voice stuttered right next to her ear. Once again she tried to raise her head, this time succeeding, only to be softly pushed back down by the stuttering woman, “You’re doing great. Don’t look at it,” she reassured her. The pain was too much for Seungwan to handle. Everything became blurry and her eyes felt heavier.

 

“No, no, don’t close your eyes. Stay with me,” it was the woman again. Seungwan tried her best to obey but the immense pain wouldn’t let her. She let out a loud cry as she felt someone move her body.

 

“You will be fine, I promise.” The woman was just a stranger to Seungwan but everything she said sounded so reassuring and it made her feel slightly better.

 

“On three. One, two, three!” A man spoke this time and Seungwan knew this process all too well to not understand what was going on. She was obviously being transferred into the hospital.

 

But as the woman’s voice faded away, so did any will she had left to keep her eyes open. Her eyes slowly closed and everything went mute.

 

 

(...)

 

 

Seungwan lay quietly, keeping her eyes closed, matching her breaths to the beeping sound of the machines that surrounded the bed. Her legs were numb. Curiosity slowly priced open her swollen eyes to meet a dismal view of a white colored hospital room, the door a navy blue. IV's, heart monitors and oxygen tanks were attached to her. An old TV set hung from the ceiling. An open window that gave her a view of the world below was just beneath the screen. It was a typical hospital room, sparse and functional. She was confused, she didn’t know why she was there.

 

She slid her eyes downwards, a white wristband on her wrist with her name on it. Everything was familiar. It wasn’t the first time she got in this room, she knew. Room seventy-seven, she thought. But last time she was in this room was for a complete different reason. She was used to being the doctor, not the patient.

 

Turning on her left, she saw a woman- the woman, sitting next to her, her eyes sleepy, barely open as she stared out of the open window.

 

As if she could sense Seungwan’s probing stare, the woman whipped her face to her.

 

Seungwan’s breath was ripped from her lungs. She couldn't breathe as she took in her delicate, high nose and those pale pink lips. But it was her eyes that winded Seungwan like a punch to the stomach. They were the striking chestnut of a fawn's dappled coat, the bright beams of sunlight accentuating the tiny golden flecks in her fleeting gaze. Confusion flickered at first in those remarkable eyes but instantly flashed away, buried deep in concern that overtook the rest of her lovely features.

 

“Hello,” the woman spoke first, breaking the silence and making Seungwan snap out of her daze. The voice was unexpected. It was low, with an agreeable trace of softness and with a hint of exhaustion.

 

“Um, hi,” Seungwan replied in a raspy voice.

 

“How do you feel?”

 

“I feel like I just got hit by a car...”

 

The woman fell silent. Seungwan’s eyes widened. Wait a minute...

 

“I got hit by a car?”

 

“You did...”

 

Seungwan's face fell faster than a corpse in cement boots. In that instant her skin became greyed, hung with lips slightly parted and her eyes were as wide as they could stretch.

 

“...and it was my car.”

 

Seungwan choked on thin air. A struggled ‘What?!’ escaped her lips and the machines next to her started making loud sounds. Her heartbeat echoed in her ears. It beat so loudly that it seemed to want to escape her chest. This woman had almost killed her!

 

“Please, calm down!” The woman placed her hands on her shoulders, cautiously pushing her back on the bed. Her touch was relieving, her warmth seeped into Seungwan’s being and comforted her. Seungwan did as she was told, she calmed down.

 

“I’m so sorry...” the woman’s long, dark eyelashes fluttered as she lowered her gaze, turning away from her. Seungwan wasn’t angry at her. It wasn’t entirely the woman’s fault after all. She should really start checking both sides of the road before walking to the other side.

 

Minutes of silence passed and the woman just sat there, staring at her. The comfortable silence helped Seungwan concentrate, trying to remember what had happened.

 

“You came running at me,” it all slowly came back to her. That was a good sign, her brain was functioning well.

 

“You started yelling and screaming things at me like a madwoman,” she continued, watching the woman’s facial expression change rapidly.

 

“Excuse me for freaking out, I only thought you were dead!” The woman crossed her arms in front of her chest. Defensive.

 

“I’m not blaming you, I would freak out too,” Seungwan lied. As a doctor, she had learned over the years to keep her composure at all times.

 

The woman did not respond. She stayed silent, staring out of the open window. Her expression told the young doctor that something was off, that she was trying to say something but she couldn’t find the right words. Seungwan took this opportunity to take a peek at her own body. Moving her neck slightly, - which hurt way more than she had expected - she saw her left leg and her right arm in plaster casts. Great. Every inch of her skin that was visible was covered in bruises, scratches and a few stitches. Only God knows how she survived such a hit. Thankfully, she could barely feel any pain at the moment due to the painkillers that her fellow co-workers had drugged her with.

 

She dropped her head back on the bed and closed her eyes tightly. This was supposed to be the best day of her life. What had she done to deserve all this, she wondered.

 

A few minutes passed and she couldn't shake off the feeling of being watched. Someone was staring intensely at her and there was only one person in this room other than her. Turning on her left once again, she found out that it was none other than the woman who had almost killed her. The silence was not comfortable anymore and the woman's stare was becoming more and more intense, almost creepy. Seungwan decided to break the silence with a question that had been bothering her mind for minutes now.

 

"Why are you here?"

 

The woman blinked twice, obviously confused, "Excuse me?"

 

"We don't know each other," Seungwan elaborated, "You could have left after the accident. Why did you stay?"

 

It was weird. A quick glance at the clock on the wall told Seungwan that it was almost midnight and the accident had happened early in the morning. Why would a stranger stay for this long? It didn't make sense in Seungwan's mind.

 

"No particular reason." The woman was quick to respond. Her suspicious eyes told Seungwan otherwise but she didn't insist. Instead she asked, "May I know your name?"

 

"Bae Joohyun." Interesting.

 

"Nice to meet you, Joohyun. I'm–"

 

"Son Seungwan," the woman called Joohyun cut her short, "A heart surgeon. And I'm a lawyer. A perfect match in my opinion."

 

Seungwan almost choked on her own saliva, "Excuse me, what?"

 

"You got a promotion a few days ago, actually."

 

Seungwan was beyond confused, and dared she say, a bit scared. Who was this woman, and how did she know all this?

 

Joohyun must have sensed her confusion so she spoke again, "I took the liberty of searching your personal files. As a lawyer, I can access all that kind of stuff easily. Don’t worry, I won't share your personal information. But I would love to know more specific things about you, what your favorite drink is for example."

 

"…what?"

 

Seungwan had hit her head way too hard, yes, that was it. This was just a dream. Or a nightmare, she couldn't choose. Hadn't this woman- Joohyun been so attractive, Seungwan would definitely say a nightmare.

 

Once again Joohyun opened to speak, "Listen, you must be confused–"

 

"Very confused."

 

"–but I need you to do me a favor," Joohyun spoke, looking unsure. Seungwan narrowed her eyes, waiting for the woman to continue.

 

"As I said, I am a lawyer. But my income…" Joohyun stopped, taking a few seconds to collect her thoughts and Seungwan waited patiently.

 

"Let me start over. Okay, so…"

 

A pause again. Seungwan couldn't understand what the woman was trying to say but it was probably something bad. She was hesitant, too hesitant.

 

Joohyun took a breath and started over, for real this time, "Look, I am passing through a period of economic difficulties and this accident would cost me a lot, so I kind of told the nurse that we-"

 

"Dr. Son! I'm glad you are awake!" A nurse burst in the room before Joohyun could finish.

 

Seungwan turned her head to greet her colleague, Joohyun's unfinished sentence lingering at the back of her head, "Hello, Nayeon."

 

"How are you feeling?" The young nurse asked and checked Seungwan's pulse, temperature and heart rate.

 

"I feel like I just got hit by a car," she said and sent a glare on Joohyun's way, to which the latter responded with an apologetic pout. Cute.

 

"That's because you did." The nurse answered, "Funny how you got hit by your own wife."

 

"My what?"

 

Her what?!

 

"Ha ha! You're hilarious, baby!" Joohyun faked a laugh and glared at her so intensely that Seungwan was sure even the nurse had noticed. She was trying to say something with her eyes but Seungwan couldn't get a grip on it. She didn't know much about Joohyun but now she definitely knew that she was a bad liar.

 

"She must have hit her head a bit too hard," Joohyun continued her act. The nurse gasped, "Dr. Son? You don't remember your own wife? We must run more tests, you might have memory loss!" She panicked and so did Seungwan when she noticed the fire in Joohyun's eyes, telling her silently to speak up.

 

"Um, don't worry, Nayeon. I was just…kidding," she told the nurse, glancing every few seconds at Joohyun. The latter seemed satisfied with her answer because she gave her a quick nod. The nurse let a deep breath escape her lips, "Oh my, you scared me, Dr. Son!" Seungwan replied with an awkward laugh, twice as fake as the one Joohyun gave earlier.

 

"You're all good then. I mean, despite the broken leg and arm and…all those stitches, you're all good!"

 

"That means I can go home soon?" Seungwan asked even though she knew. Just by looking at her injuries she could tell that she had to stay in the hospital for at least three more days. Then she would be able to go home, but not without assistance.

 

"You must stay here for at least three days. Then we will run some tests to check your condition. If the results are positive then you're good to go. You know how things work, Dr. Son."

 

"Right."

 

"I'll let you rest for now. Mrs. Son, will you spend the night here?"

 

The nurse was referring to Joohyun now. Mrs. Son…

 

Seungwan needed answers now.

 

"Ah, yes. Always by my wife's side." Seungwan cringed at that.

 

"Alright. Have a good night," the young nurse bowed and exited the room. Seungwan jerked her head towards Joohyun right when the door closed, "What the hell?" she almost yelled.

 

Joohyun looked surprised, like she wasn't expecting Seungwan to be angry. She stayed silent, letting her eyes roam the room. She'd speak, Seungwan knew she would, but she let her mind a few moments longer to prepare.

 

"I might or might not have told everyone that we're married…"

 

There was a delicious moment where Seungwan's face washed blank with confusion, like her brain cogs couldn't turn fast enough to take in the information from her ears. Every muscle of her body just froze before a frown crept onto her face, "You what?!"

 

Machines went crazy again. Calm down, calm down, she repeated in her head. All this wasn't good for her health.

 

"I can explain–"

 

"Oh, you better do."

 

"Okay," the woman sighed, "I will get a fine for hitting you with my car. A large one. They'll also take my driver's license away. But while you were passed out, I did a research and found out that if we're related or married I won't get a fine at all. Except if you sue me, of course, which won't happen, right?" She finished with puppy eyes and a pout that Seungwan didn't find adorable at all. Okay, maybe a little. But that didn't stop her from being furious.

 

"How dare you…"

 

"I'm sorry, but I don't have enough money–"

 

"Why married? You could have said we are related."

 

"It was ten times easier to write a fake marriage certificate. After all we look nothing like each other," Joohyun said matter of factly. A fake marriage certificate? What had this woman gotten them into…

 

"Nothing stops me from exposing you, you know that right?" Seungwan tried to cross her arms in front of her chest, but ended up whining in pain. Right, she had a fractured arm.

 

"But you won't do that because you're a kind-hearted, beautiful, smart, understanding woman. Did I mention beautiful?"

 

Ew, compliments. Seungwan obtained herself from scrunching her nose in disgust. This woman was such a tryhard. She was either too stingy or too poor, Seungwan couldn't tell. Although her appearance screamed nothing but 'rich', her words said otherwise.

 

Seungwan took her time to analyze Bae Joohyun. Her face was flawless. Seungwan recognized a beautiful woman when she saw one. And Joohyun was beyond beautiful. The woman could have graced any billboard or magazine cover, but she was better than those two dimensional photoshopped models. There was a shyness to her, hesitation in her body movements and a softness in her voice. Her cream suit had a tailored look, but Seungwan could already see her in jeans and a t-shirt. She guessed that the woman was on her way to work right before the accident and that was the reason why she was in a suit. The fact that the woman had stayed a whole day next to her warmed Seungwan's heart, but then again she was there for personal benefits.

 

"So?" Joohyun interrupted her trail of thoughts.

 

Seungwan was unsure, "I don't know…I've been working here for years now and never mentioned I have a wife. Isn't it kind of suspicious?" She didn't mind helping out the poor woman. Her life was boring, she needed some excitement, she wanted to try something new. This wasn't what she had in mind, but why not give it a try?

 

"We're very private as a couple. We've been married for only a few weeks. We met each other a few months ago. Love at first sight," Joohyun simply said, a smirk forming on her face. She had everything planned. Seungwan didn't like the sound of it. Too fake, too obvious.

 

Before she could argue, the door slammed open.

 

"You were supposed to buy a cup of coffee, what the hell happened!"

 

It was Yeri. Still in her work clothes, the young intern ran and gave her a hug so tight that Seungwan swore she broke some more bones.

 

"I can't breathe–"

 

"You never told me you were married? You never even told me you had a girlfriend to start with! I thought we were friends!" Yeri was being too loud for Seungwan to handle, her head started to hurt. Joohyun must have noticed, "Your name is Yeri, right?"

 

Yeri turned her attention to the now standing woman, mouth slightly open. She gulped before nodding her head. The intern was shocked by Joohyun's beauty, Seungwan could tell. It was the first time she saw the woman standing, and wow she was way taller than she thought. No, scratch that, she was wearing heels. Very high ones.

 

"Give Seungwan some space. She's still recovering," Joohyun continued, her voice bold and strict, unlike before. Yeri immediately let Seungwan go but that didn't stop her from being obnoxiously loud.

 

"Is this your wife? Wow, I must say I'm impressed, Seungwan," Yeri gave her a wink and leaned closer to her ear, "Good catch!" it was supposed to be a whisper but apparently Yeri didn't know how to whisper.

 

"Thanks…" Seungwan mumbled. She loved Yeri with all her heart, she took care of her since she was a little kid, but right now she wasn't in the mood to talk. The painkillers that the doctors had given her this morning had started to wear off because she could feel the pain all over her body once again. Or maybe it was just Yeri's loud voice.

 

Yeri turned to Joohyun once again, eyeing her up and down, "How long have you been married?"

 

"A few weeks." Joohyun was fast to reply, not even giving Seungwan a chance to open .

 

"Interesting…" Yeri looked suspicious. Something smelled fishy and Yeri could tell. Seungwan started to panic.

 

"Love at first sight!" She blurted out. Joohyun almost laughed, but covered it with a fake cough.

 

Yeri raised an eyebrow but didn't ask any further questions. Instead she smiled, "That's so sweet! You guys look so good together, I hope you last forever!"

 

"We definitely will," Seungwan mumbled. She was a bad liar and Yeri was not stupid. The young intern narrowed her eyes.

 

Joohyun noticed the tension and spoke, "Alright, Yeri. It's very late and Seungwan had a long day. She should rest, don't you think?" She was basically telling Yeri to leave the room. Yeri was smart enough to catch up.

 

"Um, yes, you're right. I'll come back tomorrow…" The intern eyed Seungwan, trying to say something between 'You have a lot of explaining to do!' and 'Is this seriously your wife? She's scary!' to which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter