Letting her go

We Never Were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your Apartment

 

You didn’t realize how much things were going to change after she left your apartment that day but they did. And before you know it so much time had gone by.

 

After weeks of not seeing Lisa, she was finally back at your place, leaning her head over the back side of the couch, watching you as you cook dinner for the two of you. Her eyes entranced by you in your element, making her one of her favorite dishes.

 

You try your hardest not to stare back at her, feeling her eyes on you, making your heart skip a beat every time. She looked so cute, the way the couch pushed her cheeks up, making them round and squishy. Her hair framing her face perfectly, with those perfect bangs of hers resting just above her brows, flawless, never a hair out of place.

 

She insisted on coming over tonight, wanting to spend time with you since her boyfriends started occupying most her time. She’d never say it to you in person but she was starting to miss you. As often as you both hung out, the less she saw you the more she wanted to spend time with you. There was something about being around you that made her feel like herself, something she didn’t quite feel when she was with her boyfriend, at least not yet anyway.

 

But just like you she noticed that something was a bit different. Things in her new relationship were progressing in new ways that her other relationships didn’t. While she was living on cloud 9, being without her made you feel the exact opposite, which you hadn’t noticed changed the way you acted when you saw her.

 

As happy as she was to finally be spending time with you again, things weren’t quite what she expected, especially since it was quiet during this entire time, which Lisa found somewhat uncomfortable. The atmosphere between the two of you usually consisted of you both bantering about a bunch of nonsense. But to be honest it was hard for you to think of things to talk about with her now, especially when she dragged on and on about the new guy she was seeing. 

 

Things would start out normal, but the second she opened to tell you about a date she had, or about something he texted her, or anything related to him, you became closed off. 

 

Jealousy was indeed a .

 

Lisa could sense that something’s been off for a while now, and that whatever it was, was bothering you, but she’d never guess that her seeing someone new was the thing that was causing it. 

 

Even though Lisa was the type to endlessly tease you for the stupidest things, she was genuinely concerned about you. It bothered her a lot to see you acting so different around her. 

 

The entire time she sat on the couch watching you, she was trying to think of as many different things as she could to get you to be yourself again. Maybe getting you to play a dancing game with her would lighten the mood, or perhaps karaoke so she could tease you about your rapping skills or lack thereof, or maybe you could both watch silly romcoms all night while she cuddled into you like she used to. She just hoped that something could bring back the you that made her laugh, the you that knew exactly what to say to her to make her feel better, the you that made her want to punch you for saying something stupid.

 

For all the times you’ve been there for her, she wanted to do the same. But she wasn’t sure how, she’s never had to be the consoling friend before, and now she wondered how you’ve been able to manage that role this whole time. All the many times she’s come crying to you over a break-up, you’ve literally always known exactly what to do and how to cheer her up, never faltering. But here she was, not knowing a single thing to reciprocate the feeling.

 

“You good Lis?” She shakes her head at the sound of your voice finally breaking the silence. “Yeah, sorry got lost in a train of thought!” You move a dish out of the oven, placing it on the stove top, letting it cool down while you took out another pan, sliding the food off of it onto two plates. 

 

“Alright, well food’s done.” Lisa gave you a soft smile while she pushed herself off the couch, coming to join you in the kitchen. “I’m so happy you know how to cook!”

 

You bring the other pan over, the steam visible as you place it in the center of the table. “Next time you’re cooking though!” Lisa lets out a laugh. “I mean if you want to be the one standing behind me with a fire extinguisher, then sure!” For the first time that night, you let out a small chuckle. Lisa looks up at you, feeling a sense of joy hearing the chuckle come from you. “But I can try! If your willing to help me…maybe.” She says while slowly placing a fork full of food in , her eyes round and glistening as she waits for you to respond to her.

 

“I don’t know, are you capable of cooking something other than noddles?” A smirk on your lips. “Just teach me! I’ll come back tomorrow if I have to! Or better yet, you come to my place, I’m sure my cats you miss!” That stupid feeling in your chest returning at the mention of her wanting to see you again so soon. “Sure your cats do…” She grins back at you, as you shift your attention back to your food.  

 

Lisa continues to poke fun at you for the remainder of the dinner. A bright smile on her face as you both start to argue about this and that. The feeling of accomplishment running through her. There’s something she can’t help but notice about the way she feels when your smiling and laughing along side her. She’s not quite sure what it is but she knows she would prefer that side of you over anything else and that she doesn’t want that to go away so she mentions some of the things she was thinking about earlier, hoping you’d be up for one of them.

 

To her pleasure, you agree on the romcom marathon. She was hoping that was the option you were going to choose. A night of cuddling is something everyone needs and if this could make you feel any better than she’s all for it.

 

Lisa starts making popcorn, throwing a bag in the microwave, while you put the leftover food away and put the remaining dishes into the sink to wash. She digs around the cabinet, getting a bowl big enough for her to dump the popcorn in. The microwave dinging the same time you finish doing the dishes.

 

Drying your hands, Lisa grabs your arms pulling you towards your room, the bowl of popcorn in her other hand. “Hey, wait a sec where are we going?” Lisa stops at your door, her brows furrowing slightly. “To your room to watch a movie?” 

 

You knew the answer before you even asked. Of course anytime you watched a movie with Lisa you’d watch the movie cuddled up to each other in your bed in your room, but you couldn’t do that this time. It seemed wrong. As much as you wanted to, you knew that you needed to avoid being in that position with her. All it was going to do was add fuel to the fire in your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter