December 2017

The Agony of a Secret Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SJH POV

 

At the last scheduled shoot for the year, the members were told to gather at the Asia Culture Center at Gwangju. It is going to be the episode that will air for the New Year's Special which includes the annual fortune reading by Mr. Park Sung Jun.

 

PSJ: Although you'll be luckier with money than with guys, this year, you'll still have some luck until March or April. You might meet someone.

SJH: March or April?

PSJ: Yes.

SJH: How is it between me and Jong Kook oppa? You said some good things about him and me last year.

 

The members showed bewildered reactions and Ji Hyo chuckles at that. She just asked it to tease them because they have been pairing her with Jong Kook recently. She remembers the Christmas special episode where Seok Jin bet his entire life savings that there's nothing going on with her and Jong Kook. Ji Hyo smiles at the memory.

 

When the shooting ended, Se Chan approaches Ji Hyo.

 

YSC: Noona, wanna go for a few drinks with us? Me, Kwang Soo, and So Min.

SJH: Just the three of you?

YSC: Yes, the others can't come.

 

Ji Hyo's eyes searches the room for Kwang Soo. She wonders why he didn't ask her himself. He usually does. Her eyes finds Kwang Soo standing with So Min near the entrance. She sees him glance at her direction but quickly looks away. Ji Hyo's brows furrow. What was that about? Does he not want me to come? Feeling discouraged, Ji Hyo declines and tells Se Chan she wants to go home early tonight.

 

Something about the way Kwang Soo avoided her eyes bothers Ji Hyo, but she can't put a name to it. Actually, something about him has been bothering you for a while now and you still can't figure it out. She ponders. Her gaze follows Kwang Soo as he exits the building together with the two maknaes.

 

LKS POV

 

Kwang Soo, So Min, and Se Chan goes to a samgyupsal restaurant near the outskirts of Gwangju, just far enough to avoid the hustle bustle of Gwangju night life. They plan to drink just for a bit and relish the end of another year before going back to their own homes.

 

JSM: Wow this place is nice. Chowa.

YSC: Me too. It's not too noisy here.

LKS: Ara. That's why I brought you here. The members have been here before.

JSM: Wow. Gomawo, Kwang Soo oppa. I feel like we're real members now.

LKS: Ya.. What are you saying? You've been part of the show for months now.

YSC: Geurae Min Min. Sasil.. I'll only say this to you two.. I already felt like a real member when I first became guest. Hahaha!

 

Kwang Soo laughs with his two companions. He never complained how it was before Se Chan and So Min joined the show but being with them now makes him thankful to have same-aged members to hang out with. The married hyungs would often go home early to their families while Jong Kook hyung would mostly spend his free time with his mother or the gym. And Ji Hyo noona..

 

Kwang Soo takes a shot of soju. Soju stings the tongue and burns the throat and yet, once it hits you, you can never get enough of its intoxicatingly sweet taste.

 

Just like Ji Hyo noona.

 

Kwang Soo sighs. He made a vow that this year he'll finally stop his seven-year long one-sided crush on Ji Hyo after almost confessing to her on national television. He can still remember that night vividly, during Ji Hyo's week in a segment of I'm Sorry-Thank You-I Love You.

As Ji Hyo took his hands, Kwang Soo could feel his heart beating fast. Sharing of feelings like this always makes him nervous. It makes him feel funny and vulnerable just like the first time they did it years ago.

 

LKS: For seven years, even when you're a woman, I grabbed you by the hair, kicked you, and punched you in the stomach. Mianhe.

SJH (laughing): Don't be Kwang Sooya. I felt more comfortable with you than the others and I behaved a bit carelessly towards you. So, I'm sorry if I hurt you.

 

Kwang Soo smiled at this. Even if his noona's head smacks, kicks, and hair grabbing hurt more and more every year, he doesn't really mind it. He thought it made them more comfortable and closer with each other.

 

LKS: Six years ago, you called me out and bought me bori gulbi. When I moved, you bought me an electric fan. At times you sent me text messages to congratulate me and encourage me. Gomawo.

SJH: Three years ago, when I left home after arguing with my mom, you said I could come to your place because I had nowhere to go, gomawo Kwang Sooya.

 

Kwang Soo remembered that day, how Ji Hyo sounded so lost as she was telling him about the fight and how helpless he felt being away and not being able to comfort her. All he could do was offer her his home. Now, hearing how thankful she was, Kwang Soo feels a huge wave of affection for her, realizing that there's nothing he wouldn't do for his noona. Before he could stop himself, he says:

 

LKS: Is this my cue to say I love her?

Kwang Soo takes another shot of soju at the memory. That's why he's been keeping his distance from her for months now. He doesn't want to slip again and accidentally confess how he's been helplessly in love with her for seven long years. He would rather end it quietly than lose his friendship with his noona.

 

He gulps down another shot, wondering if he's doing the right thing. The truth is, he misses her. He misses being close to her. He misses taking care of her. He misses just being with her and making her laugh. And God knows, there's no way he can stop thinking about her.

 

Kwang Soo scoffs at his futile attempt to remove Ji Hyo from his heart and drinks two consecutive shots of soju. One shot down his throat for his defeat and another for his misery.

 

SJH POV

 

"Eomma, I'm home." Ji Hyo calls out as she enters the house.

 

"Noona, why are you here?" Seong Moon asks without taking his eyes off the television.

 

"Ya. What do you mean why am I here? I live here too." Ji Hyo retorts. She drops herself on the couch beside her brother.

 

"Ani. You live in your apartment now." Seong Moon teases.

 

She glances at her brother, catching a hint of his mischievous smile. "Tsk. Why are you picking a fight with me. You know I still live here most of the time." Ji Hyo says, trying not to let her brother get into her nerves.

 

"If you say so." Seong Moon concedes as he lazily switches channels with the remote. Wanting to get back at her brother, Ji Hyo snatches the remote away from his hands and a petty fight for the remote instantly ensues. As usual, Ji Hyo wins. She sticks her tongue out and laughs heartily. Seong Moon sighs and proceeds to just scroll through social media in his phone.

 

It was quiet for a while before her brother says out loud, "Oh, Kwang Soo hyung was hanging out with Se Chan hyung and So Min noona. He posted a picture on IG a few hours ago. You didn't join them?"

 

"No. I wanted to come home early tonight." and I got the feeling earlier that he didn't want me to come. Ji Hyo adds but to herself.

 

"Why? You don't want me here?" She asks, still flipping through channels looking for a show that sparks her interest.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter