Chapter 1

Before Sunrise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

-DAY-

 

6 months after…

 

Seulgi checked herself in the mirror for the nth time. She mentally recited her mother’s rules regarding dressing for the event. “One, must be pastel or earthy colors; Two, no sheer or see-through fabric; Three, must be knee-length; Four, must have sleeves; Five, must be branded.”

 

Seulgi signed. She knew her mother meant well, but she had been living her life just as everyone around her instructed her to. She couldn’t help but feel suffocated.

 

“Seul sweetie?” Her mother said as she peeked into her room. Seulgi saw her mother’s look of disapproval as her mother looked at her head to foot. “Would have preferred the Dior or the Chanel dress I got you last week, but we’re going to a charity event. Might as well give Irene some promotion with her new fashion line.”

 

Seulgi forced a smile and grabbed her clutch. She didn’t bother replying.

 

“Is Hanbin here yet?” her mother asked as they both came out of her bedroom.

 

“Well, you and dad are leaving anyway. I could just ride with you.” Seulgi said.

 

“Sweetie! This is your first public appearance after your accident. Imagine the rumors that would spread if you don’t arrive with your fiancé!” Her mother exclaimed. “Your dad and I are going ahead. Wait for Hanbin.” She ordered.

 

Seulgi didn’t even get to argue. Her mother was already on her way out of the house. So, just like any good daughter would do, she did exactly what her mother told her and waited.

 

 

The ride to the event was quiet. Seulgi knew that ever since her accident, Hanbin had always tiptoed around her. He was always waiting for her to initiate conversations and make the first move, fearing that he’d come out too strong if he did.

 

They were both in the parking lot and Seulgi was about to come out of the car when Hanbin held her wrist to stop her.

 

“Seul, I know you want to take things slow. I had been patient for the past 6 months but there’s a favor I need to ask of you.” Hanbin started. He opened the compartment and took out a box. Seulgi didn’t have to be a genius to know what was inside.

 

Seulgi understood Hanbin’s frustration. According to what her parents and her bestfriend, Irene, had filled her in, she and Hanbin had been childhood sweethearts. They had been together most of their lives—in a romantic relationship for 10 years before he proposed to her last year. They were set to get married this year but with her accident, Hanbin had been patient enough to put the wedding on hold.

 

But something was off today.

 

“Bin, I told you. I’m not ready yet. I can’t remember you. I’m trying so hard to have my memories back but like Dr. Hwang said, I need to do it on my own pace.” Seulgi begged.

 

“I know, okay? I understand. I’ve been really patient, Seul. But I’m scared because I feel like I’ve lost you. I know I sound possessive, but having you wear this ring reminds me that you’re still mine.” Hanbin said with her voice almost breaking. This was the first time Seulgi saw him vulnerable and she felt his sincerity.

 

Seulgi stared at the ring before she took and slipped it on her finger.

 

“The ring’s too big.” Seulgi whispered but it was enough for Hanbin to hear it.

 

“You haven’t worn it for 6 months and you’ve lost a lot of weight. I’ll have it resized tomorrow.” Hanbin assured her. “Thank you. For putting it on. I told you this 6 months ago, I still stand to me promise. I’ll make new memories with you, Seul. I’ll make you fall in love with me again.” He added before he gently took her hand in his and kissed it. Seulgi gave him a smile.

 

“Are you ready?” Hanbin asked.

 

She wasn’t but she took a deep breath and nodded anyway.

 

 

“So, when’s the wedding?” Dara Park asked Seulgi and Hanbin. Hanbin felt Seulgi stiffen as if she wasn’t asked the same question for the 5th time already. It was starting to make Hanbin uncomfortable as well, but he had known Dara Park since he was a teenager and he knew that she meant well.

 

“Noona, you know that I just debuted my first boy group a year ago and my first girl group is set to debut later this year. I’ve been busy producing and Seul’s got an art exhibit in a few months. Plus, your fiancé has asked me to help with Jennie’s comeback album. If things fall into their right places soon, we might have a summer wedding next year.” Hanbin explained. “Plus, we couldn’t get married the same year as you. We couldn’t compete with the Kwon Jiyong and the Dara Park for the wedding of the year.” He added.

 

“Just about right! I’ve known you since you were 13, Bin. I’ll be upset if he doesn’t marry me before you get married yourself.” Dara Park replied, making Hanbin and Seulgi laugh.

 

As if he knew that he was being talked about, Kwon Jiyong joined the younger couple and his fiancée.

 

“So what were you laughing about?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Hanbin and Seulgi had to postpone their wedding because you made him too busy with Jennie’s comeback.” Dara soon-to-be-husband.

 

“Hey. Jennie’s the one who requested it. You know how her last comeback was successful since Hanbin wrote the title track. It’s not my fault they have great work chemistry.” Jiy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter