Better Off

Friends but More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kang Mina and Mark Lee were best friends. Were, or still are. But for sure they aren’t on talking terms right now. It’s been 10 weeks. They stopped talking to each other. 10 weeks ago, Mark lashes to Mina about something stupid that even he knows it, but don’t know how to approach her and apologize. And to this day, Mina is still sulking. But their friends know that they miss each other truly. How do they not? They’ve been glued to the hips since they were 7. When Mark’s family moved from Canada to Korea. They’ve been neighbours since then, their parents are close too. His and her mother being friendly to each other even though they just met. And that is the beginning of Mark and Mina’s dynamic. Now they are 21 years old. 

They are the definitions of opposite attracts, yin and yang as their moms call them. The moms also called them soul mates. Even though they knew it was the truth, they just silently agreed. Not to be obvious about it. Kang Mina is loud meanwhile Mark Lee is silent when he is around people that he barely knew. Kang Mina is bubbly, but Mark Lee is listless. But Mark and Mina have their own kind of clique at school. But their friend knew their relationship, sometimes they tease that one day that they will be stuck with each other. And with that Mark's ears grew red and Mina’s cheek was tinted. 

One day, before all the fights begin, there’s this new transferred student in their class, and Mina is in charge to show him around. Yes, HIM! For a few weeks Mina spent time with him. Showing him around campus. They even sit for lunch together. At first Mark was okay with it. Mina already introduces them.

“Minhyung-ah!!!” Mina shouts through the hallway. Mark stops knowing who it is. He turned back to greet his best friend but he squinted his eyes seeing another being with her, following her to him.

“Hey!!!” She greets him with a hug, and he hugs back tighter. “Hey you.” He replies.

“Ohh, I want to introduce you to Changbin. The one that I talked to you about, the new kid.  This is Seo Changbin, and this is Mark Lee, my best friend.” Mina said excitedly to Changbin. Then she turns to Mark. “He’s in my course. So we had classes together. He's basically new here and I’m showing him around for a few weeks.” Mina said excitedly to Mark. Mark just nodded and shook Changbin’s hand, a firm grip.

“I’m Mark. I’m taking engineering.” He introduces himself. Short and firm. He feels he doesn't have to elaborate more.

“Seo Changbin. Literature.” Changbin shyly introduces himself.

“I hope you two can be friends. We are the same age after all. Don’t be shy Changbin, you can ask me or this dork right here if you have any questions about campus.” Mina said with a chuckle when she saw Mark scrunch his nose with the nickname. Changbin just nodded.

Mina holds Mark's right hand with her. “I got to go okay? I have so much to show him. Wait for me okay? After class?” She said to him. He nods.

“Okay, take care. Anything just call me.” He said with a worry tone. 

“I’ll be okay silly.” Mina hugs him. 

“Okay man, got to go.” Changbin fist bummed a dumbly looking Mark.

Mark is left alone in the hallway, seeing Mina’s and Changbin’s back slowly disappear through the hallway. And Mark has this bitter feeling that he can’t describe.


 

Mina and Changbin continue their tour. And Changbin is already friendly with Mina and asked a question out of nowhere.

“Mark. He is not just a best friend is he?” Changbin asked teasingly.

Mina was shocked. “What are you talking about? We are. We have known each other since we were 7. And his mom and my mom are practically best friends.” Mina said defensibly 

“Right, right. Chill Mina. It’s just an innocent question.” Changbin chuckled.

“Right. Yeah.” Mina scratches her un-itch neck, smiling sheepishly.

“You like him??” Changbin questioned again teasingly.

“Yah, shut up! And walk!” she hit his arm, and his cheeks tinted red.

“Alright alright, no more teasing. Although, I knew the answer already. Hahaha.” He laughed out loud and then he ran.

“Yah, Seo Changbin!” Mina yelled running after him, oblivious that there are eyes watching them from the back.

 

 

 

After their class finishes, they always take the bus home together when the weather is nice. But not this time. Changbin is with Mina. Mark is waiting for Mina, in front of her class as usual. Today his class ended early, he decided to wait for her in front of her class so that it’s easy for her to spot him.

When Mina classmates are exiting the class, Mina is the last one to be out and she is with Changbin. Mina is surprised seeing him there, but her face lights up in an instance. 

“Oh, Minhyung-ah!” she called with her surprise tone. In an instance hug him, it’s like an automatic reflex seeing Mark, and Mark doesn’t mind. One bit. He loves her hug.

“My class finished early, so I thought I would fetch you.” He smiles looking at her.

“So sweet of you. As always.” Mina chuckled. “Oh can Changbin tag along? He's the same way as ours. I can show him the way. In the meantime.” Mina asks for Mark’s permission.

He was reluctant to say no, so he just nodded.

On the way to the bus stop, Mina and Changbin can’t stop talking to each other. And somehow, Mark doesn't like it.

After, Changbin’s stop, Mina finally is alone with Mark. Mark is literally sulking but him just silent. Mina continued her story about Changbin, where he is from, why he move and all. Oblivious that her best friend is sulking.

After a little bit walk to their neighbourhood, Mina realized that Mark has been quiet ever since. She stops him holding his arm, so that he is facing her.

“What’s wrong Minhyung? You are awfully quiet than usual.” Mina questioned 

Mark just play with the little stones on the road, head down. He just denied it with a shake of his head. 

“Are you sure?” Mina still pry, now holding his hands. She always does this, and it always calms him down. His eyes met Mina’s and smile, “Yes, nothing’s wrong.” He conceal his jealousy about Changbin. Seeing Mina so concerned about him, he thinks that, “Nothing could go wrong.” He squeezes Mina’s hand.

And continued their walk absentmindedly hand in hand to the direction of their house.

After their class finishes, they always take the bus home together when the weather is nice. But not this time. Changbin is with Mina. Mark is waiting for Mina, in front of her class as usual. Today his class ended early, he decided to wait for her in front of her class so that it’s easy for her to spot him.

When Mina classmates are exiting the class, Mina is the last one to be out and she is with Changbin. Mina is surprised to see him there, but her face lights up in an instance. 

“Oh, Minhyung-ah!” she called with her surprise tone. In an instance, hug him, it’s like an automatic reflex seeing Mark, and Mark doesn’t mind. One bit. He loves her hug.

“My class finished early, so I thought I would fetch you.” He smiles looking at her.

“So sweet of you. As always.” Mina chuckled. “Oh can Changbin tag along? He's the same way as ours. I can show him the way. In the meantime.” Mina asks for Mark’s permission.

He was reluctant to say no, so he just nodded.

On the way to the bus stop, Mina and Changbin can’t stop talking to each other. And somehow, Mark doesn't like it.

After Changbin's stop, Mina finally is alone with Mark. Mark is literally sulking but he's just silent. Mina continued her story about Changbin, where he is from, why he moved and all. Oblivious that her best friend is sulking.

After a little bit of a walk to their neighbourhood, Mina realized that Mark has been quiet ever since. She stops him holding his arm, so that he is facing her.

“What’s wrong Minhyung? You are awfully quieter than usual.” Mina questioned 

Mark just plays with the little stones on the road, head down. He just denied it with a shake of his head. 

“Are you sure?” Mina still pry, now holding his hands. She always does this, and it always calms him down. His eyes met Mina’s and smile, “Yes, nothing’s wrong.” He concealed his jealousy about Changbin. Seeing Mina so concerned about him, he thinks that, “Nothing could go wrong.” He squeezes Mina’s hand.

And continued their walk absentmindedly hand in hand to the direction of their house.

 

A few months went by, and Mark is still insecure about Changbin. But he doesn't talk about it with Mina, because he thinks, who is he to Mina? He’s feeling like someone will snatch his best friend. 

There’s a rumour flying around everywhere that Changbin is trying to court Mina. And that makes Mark blood boils. When eating lunch, it’s chaos with Mark’s friends questioning him whether it is true? And they keep pestering about it. But Lucas, Mark's other best friend keep them shut. 

“Shut up guys. Can’t you see Mark is uncomfortable? Let the man eat in peace.” Lucas said while rolling his eyes.

When his eyes met Mark, Mark just nodded thankful at him.

So they eat their meal silently. 

When Mark was halfway through his meal, he saw Changbin and Mina together, laughing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter