Part 1

Synching Heartbeats

“So… You guys don’t feel love??” Jonghyun asked quietly. He knew the answer, but he wanted to make sure.

 

It was almost evening and the sky had turned greenish. Jonghyun’s mocha eyes were on something prettier than the sky though; Jinki . Jinki with his slightly pinkish, pale skin, his sakura colored hair and his amazing blue eyes. God, he was so breathtaking...

 

Jinki just tilted his head before replying in his deep, rich voice, “Kind of… I mean, we never really felt the need to express our feelings. I only found out that things like feelings even existed when you told me… So yeah, I guess we don’t know what it feels like to be in love...”

 

Jonghyun listened intently. He had expected that. Though he felt a bit sad, he knew it wasn’t Jinki’s fault. Jinki’s people were different, literally from a different planet, and Jonghyun had to learn to understand their differences. 

 

Korea was always keen on finding life on other planets. Their years worth of hardwork and research finally came to success a few years ago when they indeed found signs of life on another planet. For the first time in over a decade, one of their satellites picked up a unique communication signal, in a language unknown to them. Then, after successfully discovering the existence of alien life, they had the new hurdle of decoding the unknown language. Many renowned cryptanalysts came together to work on it and it took another whole year to decode the language. 

 

The message was friendly, so, after trying to communicate with that new species a few more times, it was decided that Korea will initiate a mission to study this new life. 

 

It was decided that, for the very first mission, three people would be sent to the new planet; one doctor, one teacher and one engineer. They would try to understand their culture, their science and their technology. They would also decide if anything could be helpful for people on earth, and in return, teach those on the new planet a few things from Earth’s cultures. A new exam was announced for interested candidates for the mission; the ones with the highest marks would be chosen. 

 

Kim Jonghyun was an ordinary doctor back then. His day to day life was nothing but going to the hospital and then going home. He didn’t have any family, but he was past all that. He wanted someone to fill his aching heart with love, yes, but he wasn’t desperate for it. First, he wanted to live, go on adventures, find a happier version of himself and then fall in love. He loved his job, but he wanted to try something different. 

 

And one day, a perfect opportunity knocked on his door. The exam for the mission to send people to a different planet was the perfect chance to get out of his routine life and have that adventure that he wanted to live. He studied hard and, fortunately for him, he was chosen along with two other people.

 

The next few months passed with Jonghyun being required to attend all mandatory training necessary for them to survive the journey. Those sessions covered all possible aspects; physical as well as mental. They needed knowledge of technical aspects along with a strong mind and physical strength. 

 

During those sessions Jonghyun got closer to the remaining two candidates for the mission; Gwiboon, who was a professor with a PhD.D in Literature, and Minjung, who was one of the most renowned Engineers, known for her high IQ. Gwiboon was brash, loud and nothing like what Jonghyun would expect from a college professor. She had a profound knowledge of literature and she was educated in many cultures and different languages. Minjung, on the other hand, was too quiet. She wasn’t socially active and was awkward when it came to talking about anything other than machines and technology. She was tall. Taller than Jonghyun . She had short hair, glasses permanently stuck to her face and always had a tablet in her hand, reading something or the other. Gwiboon, though, was pretty; catlike eyes, blond curls cascading past her shoulders and she always wore perfect clothes which made her look even prettier.

 

The six months of training also covered learning the new planet’s language and the three of them found themselves getting closer to each other. Both girls were younger than him and Jonghyun sometimes worried for their safety, but then he would remember that they were chosen for their brilliance along with their physical and mental strength, and his worries would slip away. 

 

“What is it, Jonghyun? Did I say something bad? You look different, almost sad, like you guys define in that book you gave me about human emotions.”

 

Jonghyun snapped out of his thoughts, back in the present day, and gave Jinki a small smile. Jinki had a high IQ and he had learnt Jonghyun's language within a week, resulting in him reading almost every book Jonghyun had brought with him.

 

“I asked you because I think, along this whole journey of madness, I’m starting to like your presence even more. I like spending time with you… I think if this goes on, I might fall in love with you...”

 

“I like spending time with you too, Jonghyun… I might not know about love, but can I spend my time with you? Only you? Just like a companion would? Forever?”

 

Jonghyun’s heart skipped a beat. On this planet where people didn’t know anything about love, they matched pairs depending on competency level. Jonghyun remembered Jinki telling him how they conducted tests to find out who is compatible with them on different levels. 

 

Life on Ivine - that's what the planet was called, according to Jinki - was different than on earth. Jonghyun remembered the day they landed here. Almost immediately after landing, their communication satellite broke and they didn’t have any means of communicating with their own people. Just when Gwiboon was on the verge of a panic attack, they heard machines indicating someone’s presence. All of them looked in the direction of the noise as an oval shaped disk came and landed in front of them. A few people - aliens - came out of it and made their way towards the trio. Jonghyun stood up quickly, his instinct to protect the girls overpowering any fear he may have had. He kept both girls behind him, while never taking his eyes off of the creatures. He took in their appearance; all of them had pale grey skin, long grey hair and almost white eyes. Jonghyun was terrified at first but braced himself for whatever was coming his way as someone else stepped out from behind the people.

 

The new stranger had a different appearance; purplish skin tone, purple hair and blue eyes. Said stranger came and knelt down in front of both girls. Jonghyun watched as he started talking in a smooth voice and Gwiboon seemed to understand his words.

 

“I need you all to stand in front of our council. You are intruders and we need to know your motive for coming here. We promise we won’t hurt any one of you if you cooperate...”

 

Gwiboon nodded before telling both Jonghyun and Minjung to just follow the person. She then turned towards the stranger and spoke in his language.

 

“We don’t mean any harm. We were called here. We will follow you if you lead the way...”

 

The stranger smiled and the trio was taken into the oval shaped vehicle, taking off to meet the leaders of this new planet, Ivine.

 

Jonghyun realized he was losing himself in memories again and looked at Jinki, “We are not going to break apart just because you don’t know about love, Jinki...”

 

Jinki’s lips finally quirked up into a smile and Jonghyun felt a familiar warmth spreading inside him at the beautiful sight of his Jinki smiling. 

 

“Really, Jonghyun? Because I don’t want my weakness to be the reason you leave me… You do know that I really want you by my side, always, right?”

 

Jonghyun smiled wider at those words and closed his eyes as Jinki came closer, his forehead touching Jonghyun’s in a familiar gesture of intimacy that his people showed and Jonghyun found himself falling in love again.  It doesn’t matter if Jinki can’t feel love, Jonghyun can provide enough love to last them a lifetime….

 

“So we are okay, right? You don't want to leave me, do you?"

 

He shook his head, smiling warmly and patted Jinki’s head. A form of intimacy for Ivinese people.

 

Jinki rewarded him by nuzzling his forehead against his own once again, their hands intertwining before he stole a little kiss from Jonghyun’s lips. A form of intimacy Jonghyun taught Jinki.

 

“Tell me you won’t leave me… I can’t imagine anyone else doing this with you except me...” Jinki mumbled.

 

Jonghyun chuckled at the cuteness. “You mean patting on the head?”

 

Jinki nodded, “And the kissies… mmm, I like kissies…  But no one else can share them with you...”

 

Jonghyun nodded in delight before stealing another kiss, momentarily paralyzing Jinki in bliss. He loved his soft Companion. He didn’t plan on falling in love with someone who was unable to know love, but he did. It may have taken him his whole life, but he planned on teaching and learning new things with Jinki.

 

After Jinki dropped him at home that night, as he went to sleep, he found himself getting lost in his memories again.

 

****

 

He remembered how, on that fateful day, when that stranger took them to their council, the trio had found themselves in front of more people sharing similar features - all except for four people. Ivine’s ruler, who had a greenish skin tone along with green hair, the stranger whose name was Taemin, a girl, Eunsook, with bluish skin and long blue hair that reached her waist, and finally Jinki… now his companion, with a pinkish pale skin tone and cherry blossom hair… All of them had blue eyes, and Jonghyun learnt later that it was a trait shared among royal family members.

 

When the council asked questions, Jonghyun tried to reply in Ivinese, a task made difficult by the fact that he was scared. But his broken explanation resulted in a giggle escaping from Jinki’s lips.

 

Jonghyun frowned at first, getting irritated. Sure the person was beautiful, but that doesn’t give him any right to be an .  Jinki realised that he had the attention of everyone and he quickly explained that it was him who initiated the communication with Earth and it was his curiosity about foreign existence that resulted in these people visiting their planet. After Jinki explained everything, his father, who was the ruler, had apologized on behalf of his people and then ordered proper accommodation and other facilities for the trio.

 

From that day onwards, Jonghyun had found himself getting involved with the supposed prince. He spent lots of time with Jinki as the girls were working with Taemin. As Jonghyun was a doctor, he was more interested in their anatomy, their reproduction and their medical history. Jinki was proficient in the same field so they were left to work in Jinki’s spacious lab together, learning new things.

 

Jonghyun could remember the surprise he felt when he learnt that Ivinese people didn’t know about having . These people always had minimal physical contact with each other and Jonghyun found himself asking, “What about reproduction? What do you guys do to make babies?”

 

And Jinki’s reply was a simple shrug, “We feed our requirements to our re-generator machine, it makes a prototype and we give our DNA to help reproduction...”

 

“Wow, that’s ridiculous..."

 

Jinki was genuinely confused, “Why? What do you do then?” 

 

This made Jonghyun shut his mouth because he didn’t want to talk about and explain it to this gorgeous man.

 

Days passed with them spending time in the lab together and, now and then, Jinki even took him to places he thought Jonghyun would like. Day by day Jonghyun found himself getting more and more intrigued with this handsome prince. Jonghyun really didn’t want this mission to end anytime soon.

 

****

 

Wake up, wake up! You have to wake up now… It’s morning! 

 

An insistent robotic voice woke Jonghyun up from his peaceful sleep. He grumbled when he opened his eyes and a little robot was still rambling in that automated voice. Wake up, wake up! You have to wake up now… It’s morning! 

 

“Okay okay, little man, I’m getting up.” Jonghyun said and took a hold of little robot to press the button to shut him up.

 

Once that automated voice stopped, he flopped down on his bed again. A few minutes passed until a soft voice whispered in his ear. 

 

“Hey handsome, I want to meet you soon. Can you wake up for me?”

 

That voice did the trick and Jonghyun woke up, immediately sitting up on his bed, his black locks messy because of sleep, eyes still more closed than open, and a sweet, tiny smile making its way to his puffy lips.

 

It was his boyfriend, or in Ivinese term, his Companion , Jinki. He looked towards his left side to find Jinki’s hologram waiting for his reply. He fetched his controller, connected to Jinki’s contact and smiled prettily as he replied. 

 

“Hey, good Morning. I’m awake now… Where and when do you want to meet?”

 

He observed as Jinki’s reflection smiled warmly. “I’ll come to get you, handsome. Probably after you finish your work this evening. Just contact me once you are done with your task. I can’t come to the lab today because we are finding Companion for Eunsook today… I’ll be with her for the whole day...”

 

Jonghyun giggled as Jinki blew him a sweet kiss and the other man made a show of catching it, giggles increasing as Jinki laughed heartily. He was so beautiful.  

 

Jonghyun’s smile didn’t leave even after the call ended. Ahhhh... The way, Jinki made him feel… 

 

He finally got out of bed and started getting ready for his day. He wished the day would pass quickly so he can meet his Jinki as quickly as possible. 

 

Hours passed by while he buried himself in the research files Jinki had provided him the day before. He wanted to attend their ceremony of finding a match, but he knew that it was a personal affair for the royal family. Ivine was always to be ruled by women, a fact that Jonghyun was so amazed with. Jinki’s mother was ruler before she succumbed to an unknown disease years ago. His father was temporarily ruling the planet until his daughter, Eunsook, could find her match. Once she did, the planet would be hers to rule. He had observed how Ivinese people treated girls with utmost respect; Gwiboon and Minjung were always treated with nothing but respect and kindness. He was too, but Jonghyun figured it was because these people were unable to feel hate. They had buried their feelings long ago in favour of using their brains more than their heart. Their planet was probably free from evil because of their inability to feel hatred.

 

Jonghyun could remember how his Jinki was always fascinated whenever Jonghyun had tears in his eyes or whenever he felt angry. And Jonghyun would always giggle because of Jinki’s cute, fascinated face. He still had his doubts, but he knew one thing; he didn’t want to leave Jinki just because he couldn’t feel emotions. It wasn’t his fault and, even without him knowing anything about love, he was still the most lovable boyfriend Jonghyun had ever had in his entire life. No one was as considerate, as respectful and as lovely as Jinki was. 

 

Jonghyun finished his work for the day and was making his way out of the lab when he was greeted by Jinki standing at the entrance. He smiled as Jinki spread out his arms, indicating he wanted a hug. Jonghyun loved this about Jinki; he had no idea how important physical touch was in a relationship, but he took note of everything Jonghyun liked. Hugs and soft kisses were some of those things. And, despite them being frowned upon in his society, he never missed a chance to shower Jonghyun with them.

 

Jonghyun would always get a hug when they met, always a soft kiss before they parted ways, and Jonghyun was satisfied with that. He knew this was all new to Jinki, but his efforts made Jonghyun fall even deeper in love with him. He all but ran towards his boyfriend and felt his heart beat faster as he was enveloped in a warm hug. He loved hugging Jinki, he was soft, squishy and he always made sure to hold him just right. He was the safe place Jonghyun never even knew he needed. Jinki slowly patted his head before pulling away, taking his hand in his own and turning them both to make their way out of the lab.

 

“How was your day, Jonghyun? How’s the study regarding the reason behind our distinct features coming? Found any answers?”

 

Jonghyun huffed, “Nope. No answers yet, but I think I’m getting closer. What about you? Found a match for your sister?”

 

Jinki shook his head in denial, “We tested all of the suitors, the results will come out tomorrow. So let’s see.”

 

Jonghyun nodded in understanding. He had many questions about what would happen to Jinki when he was to be matched. Would Jinki have to go through the same thing or could he avoid it since he was not going to be the ruler? He stopped himself from voicing those doubts though. For now, his priority was spending time with Jinki. He never realised it before but he was getting dependent on Jinki’s presence a lot more as the days went on. 

 

Realising that they were walking for a long time, he tugged at Jinki’s hand that was holding his as he asked, “Where are we going? It’s a bit far from my quarters.”

 

Jinki only smiled before continuing to walk, “You’ll see soon. It’s a surprise...”

 

Jonghyun suddenly felt excitement light up his nerves. The last time Jinki had said that, he took him to a garden full of unique flowers of different colors. He still remembered how beautiful Jinki looked standing in the middle of all those colors, with that soft smile and those breathtaking blue eyes of his...

 

“Why are you smiling, handsome? Something good happen?”

 

Jonghyun looked up to find those same blue eyes looking at him warmly and shook his head. 

 

“Nothing… Just remembered something… Where are we now?”

 

Jinki gestured to his right side, “This is my place from today...”

 

Jonghyun whipped his head towards the said direction so fast he thought his neck was going to break. There, in front of his eyes, was a small building. Jinki pulled him towards the place and, after taking the elevator - they were more advanced there than on earth - he was face to face with a familiar looking door. The building itself looked out of place compared to all the others he had seen on this planet. These people had a different way of building homes, offices and all other buildings. Most of the people there lived in oval shaped houses, spacious and painted black. Jonghyun was not in favor of this; his own apartment there was the same. He felt like there was no sense of identity or personality and the monochrome tones depressed him a lot.

 

He watched in fascination as Jinki fished out a key and opened the door. Which was also new to Jonghyun. Along with the design of the places, these people never used keys or locks. Their houses were designed to open based on bio-metrics and Jonghyun didn’t remember anyone having a key. He remained silent as Jinki took him inside. His heart beat faster as he looked around. His doubt was true; the interior also looked exactly like what would be found back on Earth. Did Jinki build this? There was no other explanation as to why he was inside a place that looked exactly like the one he wanted to live in. He never shared that dream with anyone else but Jinki, and there he was, standing in the very place he wanted to build, on a planet which was anything but home for him.