CH1: A Place To Crash

I Ran Away

A Place To Crash


 

"Why are you wet? Are you trying to get yourself sick?!" a girl with short jet black hair wrapped Mina in a blanket as she ushered her in. "Give me your car keys. I'll get your stuff for you." Jeongyeon said as she saw Mina look behind her. She certainly didn’t expect to see her, but the unannounced visit brought nothing but joy to her. 

Jeongyeon closed the door behind her as she carried Mina's duffle bag and backpack. She joined the girl on the couch and touched her face. "You're absolutely freezing!" Jeongyeon said as she examined Mina's cold skin further. "You need to change out of those wet clothes immediately." Jeongyeon dragged Mina to one of the guest rooms. 

Mina sat down on the bed, her eyes trailing Jeongyeon who was digging around the closet. She sat beside the shivering girl and offered her a hoodie and some pajamas. "Nayeon is using this room but I'm sure she's okay with you borrowing some clothes."

"Jeong, I have clothes in my bag."

"Of course you have. But I forgot so here we are." Mina just stared at her like she said the stupidest thing ever. Jeongyeon rolled her eyes at her. "Just change into these and I'll get a cup of hot choco ready for you at the kitchen." 

Mina could only nod as Jeongyeon's figure disappeared behind the door. She changed out of her wet designer clothes and into Nayeon's comfy ones. She surely misses wearing comfortable clothes. She hugged herself since she was still a bit chilly but not as cold as before. She carried her wet clothes and damp blanket to the kitchen where sure enough Jeongyeon was done making her signature cup of hot choco. She just stepped into the kitchen when Jeongyeon swooped by her and grabbed the wet articles of clothing from her arm. "I'll hang these. Sit down and make yourself at home." Jeongyeon said as she ran around a corner. "Just take small sips!" Mina heard her call out, making her chuckle. No matter how many times Jeongyeon denies it, she's certainly a mom.

As Mina took her first sip, she remembers why she always asked Jeongyeon for a cup of hot choco. To say that it's delicious is definitely an understatement. Mina looked around the kitchen. This is probably the homiest kitchen she has even been in. All the laughter they shared together. All the mess they made when they were trying to replicate Mr. Yoo's dish (which always ended badly). All those plates and cups they broke. Those were the good times. She misses them. No, not her family. Them, her friends. 

It's been over two years now. They're about to start their third year of college in three weeks and Mina had just ran away from home. No, it wasn't home. It was just merely a roof and four walls. It had no meaning to her. It was just a place to stay, but not a place one truly lives in. 

She can't go back now. She doesn't want to. She hates her college. It was just full of annoying stuck-up rich people that weren't even there to learn but just to get a diploma,call themselves educated, and more likely inherit their family's business.

Where does she go now? Her future is uncertain, but she knows that she can still do something about it.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Jeongyeon's voice brought her out of her trance. Yoo's eyes went to the cup of warm choco and back to Mina's, sporting a worried frown. "You don't like my hot choco anymore?" 

"Oh no no no it's not like that. I still love it Jeongyeon! It's just.. I was just thinking."

"About?"

"What happened and what I'm gonna do after." 

Jeongyeon reached over and placed her hand on top of Mina's, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "If you're worried about a place to stay, then you can stay here for as long as you like. I'm basically alone here so I would definitely love the company."

Mina gave Jeongyeon a small smile. "Thank you, I really appreciate it. But I'm also worried about college." She sighed and duck her head down. "I don't wanna go back there Jeong. I hate it. I don't think I belong there and I definitely don't want to try fitting in. I don't want to be like those rich kids that think money can get them anything. I just want to live normally. I want to start again."

"If you mean what you just said, then chin up. I know you're strong. I know you can do this and we're always here to help." Jeongyeon stood up from her seat and gave Mina a hug. She didn't know this was what she needed until she got it. She immediately broke down. Her calm demeanour collapsed and now she's showing a layer of how she truly feels. 

"Speaking of we, want the girls to come and have a sleepover?" Jeongyeon asked with bright vibes and a warm smile. Thinking of her friends made her heart sting more than it should.

"I don't think they'll want to talk to me anymore."

"Trust me, they'd love to talk to you again. You don't know how much we missed you Mina." 

Deep down she feels that Jeongyeon just said that out of pity from her current situation, but she couldn't help but think that her friends really did still care about her, even just a tiny bit.