The fight

Summer Fight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night was drawing to a close as the NCT 127 members shuffled inside their dorm sweaty from practicing for a little over 4 hours. Everyone heaved out a sigh of relief as they entered the cool room, some sat down on the living room sofa while others made their way into their respective bedrooms. Mark was the last to enter the dorm, he felt more tired than ever knowing full well that he had to wake up early and go for practice again with the dream members. He was the eldest among the boys and he wanted to be an inspiration for them, but some days were just harder than the others. Mark took off his shoes by the door since Taeyong hated having shoes inside the dorm. A smile graced his lips for a second when his eyes landed on Doyoung and Taeyong arguing about the AC temperature before it wandered over to Haechan who was currently leeching onto Taeil like a koala bear making kissy faces at him. Mark frowned at the site in front of him before rolling his eyes and going into his room to take a shower and get a good night’s rest.

 

The cold air of the room touched Mark’s warm body as he came out of the shower in his loose t-shirt and shorts that he now used as pyjamas. Haechan was lying on Mark’s bed scrolling through his phone. Usually he wouldn’t say a thing and just get into Haechan’s bed but for some reason today it just pissed him off. Mark dropped his towel on the rotating chair before making his way over to his bed yanking the cover off Haechan as he harshly nudged him to get out of his bed with a plain face.

 

“Meanie” Haechan mumbled as he padded over to the other twin bed in the room.

 

 “Are you okay?” Haechan asked moving over to Mark’s bed once again sitting at the edge of his bed as he saw the evident anger on Mark’s face.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Mark said with gritted teeth. He was in no mood to talk right now especially not with Haechan. The guy was much too clingy for Mark’s taste.

 

“You don’t sound fine” Haechan inquired placing a hand on his forehead to see if he was sick.

 

“I said I’m fine” Mark slapped away his hand his voice getting higher taking Haechan aback with the sudden change in his mood. Just an hour ago he was all smiles and laughter and now he was all pins and needles, it wasn’t everyday mark got angry but when he did more often than not it was quite scary.

 

 

 

“Okay, I was just asking. Don’t have to be so rude about it” Haechan said going back to his side of the room when he heard a scoff leave Mark’s lips making him turn around to see him rolling his eyes before saying.

 

“Yeah well it’s irritating. You’re irritating”

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“Everything you do is irritating. Why do you have to talk so much and don’t even get me started on your constant need for attention. Were you not loved as a kid? Why do you have to always latch onto us?” Mark spitted out not even considering whether what he said was hurtful.

 

“No one seems to mind it” Haechan says getting increasingly impatient with Mark’s attitude.

 

“It is to everyone except for ‘Taeil hyung’” Mark said air quoting with his hands.

 

“There’s something called personal space and you clearly don’t know what that means. So just stay on your side of the room and stop being so clingy all the time, it’s annoying.” Mark added the anger seeping through him.

 

“Okay, I don’t know what’s gotten into you but I’m not your ing punching bag. Deal with your issues yourself” Donghyuck said trying not to lash out on his very hostile best friend.

 

“The only issue I have is the fact that you refuse to shut the up”

 

“Fine” Donghyuck said getting up from his bed closing the lights in the room before getting under the covers and facing away from his roommate. The day had been hard enough for the two of them and the fight only made them more unreceptive. Haechan was used to Mark being moody every now and then but never had he said such hurtful things, he always thought of Mark as the one person he could always depend on but he’d be lying if he said they hadn’t been getting distant lately with Mark spending more time with Johnny and Jaehyun than him but never would he have expected Mark to say the things he did.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

Darkness surrounded the NCT dorm as midnight drew closer the only things to be heard were the honks of the car, the occasional ringing of Doyoung’s phone and the voices of Mark and Haechan yelling at each other from the room opposite theirs. They weren’t quite sure when it started but the fighting almost seemed common place now. The 127, dream and even the u members had tried to talk to them about it but to no avail. It felt impossible to make the two stop fighting. Jaehyun turned in his bed to see Doyoung sound asleep with his ear phones plugged in probably to drown out the noise. Unfortunately Jaehyun couldn’t sleep while listening to music or in the presence of any sort of sound. Though he couldn’t tell what they were quarrelling about he could still hear their muffled angry shouts.

 

Jaehyun lays on his back trying to fall asleep when he heard a bang reverberate in the Dorm followed by another one making him get up in bed. He listened closely as he heard a pair of shuffling feet move away from their door. Jaehyun looked towards the closed door of his room and back at his roommate deciding to go and examine the situation. The last thing he wanted was for one of them to do something stupid and end up hurting themselves. He carefully unlocked his door, tip toeing towards the living room to find Haechan lying down on the couch that was in the centre of the room. He still looked quite grumpy as he pulled his blanket over him trying to get somewhat comfortable on the couch that barely held his legs.

 

“Are you okay?” Jaehyun asks carefully as he approached him, standing behind the sofa he was on.

 

“Do I look okay?” Haechan snapped back at Jaehyun annoyed at the unwanted intrusion.

 

“I know you probably don’t want to talk about it but... you guys used to inseparable. What happened?” Jaehyun asked resting his hand on the head rest looking down upon Haechan’s eyes that softened at the question, sadness taking over them.

 

“I don’t know”

 

“Do you wanna take my bed? I’ll sleep here if you want?” Jaehyun asked deciding not to push it any further. He ran his hands through Haechan’s hair concerned for the boy whose knuckles were white from clutching onto the pillow on top of him too hard.

 

“No, it’s okay... go back to sleep. I’ll be fine” Haechan mumbled in a low voice turning on his side with his back towards Jaehyun.

 

“You do know if you ever need someone you can come to me or any of us? Right?” Jaehyun inquired staring at his back watching him take in a shaky breath before nodding his head refusing to face the older boy.

 

Jaehyun took this as his sign to leave as he saw Haechan shifts around the couch trying to fall asleep. The place was absolutely quiet now and even though it would be easier for him to sleep now the tension in the dorm felt higher than ever. The fight was affecting not only them but the whole team dynamic. All the hyung’s worried about the constant screaming and shouting that took place every time they were in each other’s vicinity. It was troublesome for everyone but he had to imagine it was a lot worse for the best friends who were constantly at each other’s throats now.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

The sun was still out when Haechan came back to the 127 dorm after a whole day with the 00 line near Hangang. They loved going out together whenever they had an opening in their schedules it was practically impossible lately with the We go up album being recently released that led to them working long hours into the night since mornings were always filled with promotions for the album. Haechan was glad he got to spend one good day with them before they become extremely busy. Yuta was currently reading a book with his head in Winwin’s lap while Taeyong was setting up the table putting the boxes of Chinese food on the coffee table before calling everyone to the living room. Usually Taeyong was strict about eating on the dining table but since its game night and they have 9 people living under the same roof that were in no way civil they had decided to sit around the coffee table a few bean bag chairs placed on the other side to accommodate more people.

 

Johnny came up with the idea of Game night during their trainee days something about building friendships and growing closer. Haechan situated himself on one of the bean bags as the others started to enter the room. Mark sat down on the sofa diagonally opposite to Haechan trying to be as far away from him as possible trying to ignore his existence entirely as he started speaking to Winwin making him chuckle. Haechan felt a sudden rush of heat creep up his body as he saw Mark getting closer to Winwin, whispering and smiling with him. He shook his head as turning his attention towards Jaehyun who was explaining the premise of mad libs to everyone present there.

 

Laughter echoed around the hallways as some of them made their way towards their rooms the tiredness of the day taking over them. It was way past midnight now since tomorrow is a Saturday none of them had to wake up early giving them an excuse to stay up and relax. The only people still in the living room were Taeyong, Johnny, Mark and himself. The two adults had a few beers to drink while the two younger members stuck to their can of coke pretending that they’d never had alcohol before. Johnny was currently telling a story about him from way back in high school emphasizing each word with his hands. Haechan could already feel his eyes start to droop, Johnny had now reiterated to speaking in English making both him and Taeyong incredibly confused while Mark kept laughing along with him about whatever he was talking about.

 

“Can you pass me the bottle?” Mark asked Haechan casually while continuing to talk to Johnny. Haechan paused waiting for Mark to take in his words as he stared ahead at the almost adult.

 

“Are you sure? Wouldn’t want to take up your personal space” Haechan said leaning back on the bean bag making all the eyes in the room turn towards him, even Johnny sobered up as he waited for Mark’s response.

 

“I’ll just take it myself I guess” Mark said getting up from his seat, extending his hand to grab hold of the bottle before sitting back down and taking a sip from it.

 

“I don’t know what I expected it’s not like you’re capable of caring about anyone but yourself” Mark added putting the bottle near his foot turning to face the two older members in the room.

 

Taeyong and Johnny shared a look well aware about what is about to unfold, something that they had failed to control or stop in anyway. The deafening silence in the room was broken when Haechan abruptly got up from his position going to his room hoping to god Mark didn’t follow him. He was not ready for his good mood to get tampered. He hated fighting with Mark but ever since their first fight thing had been extremely hostile between them, none of them choosing to back down or apologize it not only put a strain on them but on everyone else around them who had to bear with the fighting.

 

Haechan never had problem making friends it was always keeping them that seemed to be the issue. Mark has been in his life for long enough for him to not even remember a time before he came along. He would never accept just how much he needed him in his life but he’d rather fight with him everyday than not have him in his life at all.

 

Taeyong and Johnny both called it a night going to their room forcing Mark to go back to his where probably a very angry Haechan awaited. He hit himself in the head lightly for being his impulsive self again. Mark pushed the already open the door coming face to face with Haechan who was in the middle of wearing an old iron man shirt that Mark had gifted him about 2 years ago. He let his eyes linger on him for a little longer than required, noticing the way the sleeves of the faded t-shirt clung to his arms, his honey skin glistening in the terrible lighting of their bedroom lamp. Mark instantly looked away, walking over to his bed when Haechan’s eyes locked with his making his heart beat faster than usual.

 

“Haechan...”

 

“Oh am I worthy of your attention now?” Haechan says cutting Mark short

 

“You sure you wanna talk to a selfish prick like me?” Haechan snidely adds throwing his worn clothes into the laundry basket near the bathroom door.

 

“Can you stop twisting everything I say” Mark yells out throwing his phone on his bed already tired of Haechan’s constant bickering.

 

“Don’t say stupid and they won’t get twisted” Donghyuck says matching Mark’s tone of voice moving over to the other side of the bed, standing barely a few feet away from him.

 

“This is why I don’t like spending time with you”

 

Johnny and Taeyong were too worried about them to simply go to sleep, just hearing them argue about such a petty matter made their heart break. Mark and Haechan always taunted each other and until about a month ago it was mostly fun and games. It was heartbreaking for everyone to see them this way since they were both best friends and roommates. Johnny pressed his ear on the door trying to hear their voices clearly.

 

“They’re fighting again huh?” Jaehyun asked taking both of them by surprise as they tried to eavesdrop on the two youngest members.

 

“I think Donghyuck’s crying” Taeyong said his voice filled with remorse as he heard the sniffles of the pitiful boy on the other side of the door.

 

“Wait I hear footsteps” Johnny said his ears still pressed on the wooden door.

 

Doyoung callously pulled Taeyong and Johnny inside their room closing the door so they wouldn’t be visible to the two. After a moment of silence Doyoung opened the door peeking out into the dark hallway seeing Mark sitting on his bed staring at nothing on the floor while Haechan was nowhere to be seen. The pulsing emotions breeding in the silence and darkness of the dorm made the whole situation far worse.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

“I’m tired of this”  

 

“You know what I wish we never became friends” Mark bellowed sitting down at the edge of his bed wanting for their argument to be over.

 

“Is that how you feel about us?” Haechan asked his voice breaking as he tried to keep the tears in his eyes from falling.

 

Mark looks up at the sudden change in tenor seeing Haechan bow his head to hide the tears that were threatening to fall. He was going to retort but as soon as his eyes fell upon a stray tear falling down Haechan’s face he froze in his spot unable to do or say anything. A sudden pang shot through his chest as he sat in silence watching the boy taking in a shaky breath, wiping the tear away. All of his anger seemed to wash away the moment he saw tears flowing out of his eyes. Mark got up from his position thinking of ways to somehow comfort him but before he could make a move Haechan opened their bedroom door and rushed out of there.

 

He stood motionless in the middle of the room his head heavy and his heart heavier. He wanted to stop him, he wanted to run after him but he didn’t. He didn’t move a muscle as a potential lifelong friendship faded away from right in front of his eyes. Seeing his best friend look this vulnerable really put their whole fight into perspective for him. He bit his lip his own eyes welling up with tears as he looked at the place Haechan was occupying just a moment ago. Mark really believed that they would have come to an agreement by now, they always did. But maybe it was past compromise now, maybe there was no going back, maybe there was no repair to this.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

The search for the youngest in the dorm hadn’t been hard; there was only one place he went to when he felt down. Doyoung opened the door leading to the terrace feeling the cold yet slightly humid air hitting his skin sending a shiver down his back. Haechan stood near the ledge of the rooftop with his hands on the barrier, his body hunched down as he cried his red hot tears.  Doyoung slowly approached him, taking off his jacket and putting it over Haechan’s shoulders to shield him from the cold of the night. Haechan looked at the vast city in front of him, his face puffy and wet with the stream of tears masqueraded on it.

 

“Donghyuck....” Doyoung started to say only to be stopped when he was tackled into a hug by Haechan, his cries getting muffled as he buried his face into his shoulder.

 

“He hates me” Haechan breathed out clutching on to Doyoung as he felt his emotions take over his entire body.

 

“You should hear the things he says, he really can’t stand me” Haechan cried burying his face back into his shoulder.

 

“I’m sure that’s not true”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter