Chapter 4

Insomnia

Throughout the semester their group expanded from simply interacting for assignments to becoming a real friend group. Of course Sooyoung, Yeri, and Joohyun were friends before and Yeri and Seulgi were also friends, but now all five of them are close.

 

Seulgi and Joohyun have been spending a lot of time together since they both are STEM students and have a few classes together, the both of them got close to Wendy as well, which certainly helped her to open up a bit more. Yeri being the social butterfly that she is, got close to her in no time. But as much as all of them became close it was obvious to everyone, even people outside of their friend group, that Sooyoung and Wendy were inseparable.

 

What started with light cuddling whenever they were around each other evolved into walking around holding hands and soon after they got into a routine of meeting up to have lunch every day even if their classes were on opposite ends of the campus. There were rumours about them dating and as much as the both of them always dismissed those, even their friends weren’t so sure about it.

 

“Doing anything with your girlfriend this weekend?” Yeri asks teasingly as they prepare to leave the last class on a Friday. 

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, I don’t have a girlfriend.”

 

“Oh, really?” her smile widens, getting Sooyoung annoyed even before she continues, “So you and the tiny blonde just look at each other with heart eyes and can’t be around each other without touching out of friendship?”

 

“You are in no position to call Wendy tiny.”

 

“Maybe not, but you didn’t answer my question.”

 

“For the last time, we are not dating, I don’t know why people think we are.”

 

“I don’t know, maybe it’s the fact that you act like a couple all the time.” Yeri exhales trying to keep herself calm to approach this subject, “Okay, let’s say I believe you. Would you like to date her?”

 

“I never thought about it.” 

 

“Really?” Yeri asks, “You’ve been all over each other for months and you never thought about dating her?”

 

“I can’t say that I have,” Sooyoung starts walking a little slower, “I don’t know why we are so affectionate towards each other, it just sort of happened and I never thought much about it.”

 

“Are you attracted to her?”

 

“I think she’s pretty if that’s what you mean.”

 

“Of course you think she’s pretty, who wouldn’t? But that’s not what I asked.” Yeri says with a hint of frustration on her tone.

 

“You asked if I’m attracted to her, it’s the same thing.”

 

“No, it definitely is not the same thing.” hearing this, Sooyoung stops walking and turns to Yeri with a confused expression, “Unnie, how would you define ual attraction?”

 

“When you look at someone and think ‘Wow, they’re really beautiful.’?” Sooyoung's answer ends up as a question more than an affirmation.

 

“More like ‘They’re really beautiful and I would like to have with them.’”

 

“Ew, no. Why would I think about ?” Sooyoung asks with a disgusted look on her face.

 

“Wait,” Yeri’s expression changes, as if suddenly something makes sense to her, “are you aual? That would explain so much.”

 

“Of course not, in case you don’t remember I had before.”

 

“I know that, but I wasn’t asking if you are a ,” she sighs, “having and feeling ual attraction are not the same thing.”

 

“That doesn’t make any sense.”

 

“Okay, you’re coming with me for a little ed class right now.” Yeri says holding Sooyoung’s wrist and pulling her to a place where they can be alone.


 

 


 

“You really weren’t kidding when you said ed class,” Sooyoung says impressed, looking at the page full of notes that Yeri made to her.

 

“I adapted my method to your ability to understand,” Yeri teases, “so, what do you think now?”

 

“I guess it does explain a few things,” she takes a moment to organize her thoughts, “like how I never really got why people were so obsessed with .”

 

“Honestly, I wouldn’t know anything about aroaces if I hadn’t dated an ace person.”

 

“I’m pretty sure I’m aual, but I don’t know where I stand with aromanticism.”

 

Sooyoung feels like her brain is about to melt any moment now, all of this was so unexpected and she doesn’t know what to think anymore.

 

“Okay then, so we’ve established that when you look at someone pretty you don’t want to them,” Yeri says making Sooyoung cringe, “and even after knowing them better you still don’t want that. Right?”

 

“Right.”

 

“Yeah, sounds pretty aual to me,” she agrees, “Do you ever feel like dating them?”

 

 “How would I know?” Sooyoung sighs and rests her head on the table.

 

“You don’t have to figure everything out right now, “ Yeri says packing her bag, “I gotta go now, but we can talk more about it if you need it, okay?”

 

“Thanks, you really helped today,” Sooyoung looks at the younger woman, “sometimes I forget you can be nice.”

 

“Don’t get too used to it.” she says and walks away leaving Sooyoung alone at the table.

 

Sooyoung doesn’t know for sure how long she stayed there, just reading up on anything she could find on the internet about uality, but it must have been long enough to get Wendy worried.

 

From Seungwannie: hey, did something happen?

From Seungwannie: My class ended and you’re not here

 

The existential crisis caused by this afternoon’s revelations might have made her forget that they were supposed to meet on the other side of campus from where she is at the moment. Wendy’s classes finish over an hour after her own every Friday, usually she waits for the other while working on any assignments she has for the week after, but today things got out of hand. Sooyoung quickly grabs her things and starts walking towards the Literature Department building while typing a reply.

 


Sooyoung arrives panting with sweat dripping down her face after walking as fast as she could so she wouldn’t make her friend wait, that doesn’t keep Wendy from engulfing her into a hug as soon as she sees her.

 

“I’m sweaty and gross,” she says into Wendy’s hair, “you shouldn’t hug me.”

 

“But I like hugging you, even if you’re gross.” she tightens the hug before letting go and looking at Sooyoung, “What happened? You’re never late.”

 

“Sorry,” unable to look at Wendy, she suddenly finds herself captivated by the architecture of the building in front of her, “I didn’t mean to make you wait.” 

 

Wendy gently takes hold of Sooyoung’s hand, “There’s obviously something wrong, we can talk if you want.”

 

“Can we just go home and do nothing together?” 

 

“Sure, we can get pizza.” the suggestion makes Sooyoung smile for the first time since they met today, “I guess I’m really spending an awful lot of time at your place.”

 

Sooyoung looks at her with eyebrows furrowed, “You don’t want to sleep over today?”

 

“That’s not what I mean,” she says and can see Sooyoung visibly relax, “it’s just that you asked me if we could go home, it’s no longer ‘go to my place’.”

 

This is enough to make Sooyoung blush and look away immediately, she has so much in her head right now that she didn’t even realize what she said until Wendy mentioned it. She might just die of embarrassment right in the middle of the university campus, this way at least she can avoid coming up with something to say about it.

 

“Soo, look at me,” Wendy says almost in a whisper, the softness of her voice making Sooyoung turn back to look at her, “I didn’t say it was a bad thing. Your place really feels like home to me.”

 

“It does?”

 

Wendy nods as they continue walking towards the university gates, “Coming back to Korea I was afraid I wouldn’t feel at home anymore, especially with all my family staying in Canada. I was scared of being alone here, but then I met you.”

 

“God, you are so cute,” Sooyoung pulls Wendy closer by the hand she was still holding and intertwines their fingers, “I’m happy I was here to keep you from being lonely.”

 

“Me too.”

 


A.N.: The last chapter for this should be coming in early December, I've finally drafted how I want it to end and hopefully you guys will enjoy.
Also, aual representation is important and to this day I only know of one fic with an aual character, so now I present you with another one.