Chapter 3

Insomnia

As the sun starts to hit her eyes, Sooyoung wakes up feeling well rested. This isn’t normal, she never feels like sleep does her any good, it’s always the same feeling of being even more tired than the night before.

Coming fully to her senses she feels a weight on her chest which is the second unexpected thing about today. It’s not as if she has never slept beside someone, but that doesn’t mean this is any less unusual. Sooyoung has shared a bed with friends before, and even some disappointing partners, but she has no memory of ever waking up being cuddled and having no desire of pushing the person away.

She can think of a few reasons as to why feels comfortable with it this time:

  1. Her mood improves significantly when she sleeps well.

  2. Wendy seems to have been at least part of the reason why she slept better. Actually, scratch that, she fell asleep after Wendy hugged her so it’s safe to say she is the whole reason why Sooyoung slept so much better.

  3. The girl looked like she was enjoying having Sooyoung as her pillow and it was so adorable that it felt wrong to even think about putting an end to it.

  4. It was comfortable. As simple as it sounds this isn’t something you come across that often, someone who just fits perfectly on your embrace.

Okay, that was cheesy, thankfully no one can read her thoughts ‘cause that would be beyond embarrassing. Freeing Sooyoung from cringing herself to death with her own thoughts, Wendy started moving. Opening her eyes and rolling away while stretching.

“Hi.” Wendy said first, her voice sounding much lower than usual.

“Hi. Had a good sleep?”

“I did, and you?”

“The best sleep I had in the past two years probably.”

“Good, good.” Wendy moved back to her previous position hugging Sooyoung “What time is it?”

Sooyoung knows it’s not that early since the sun doesn’t hit her bedroom in the early morning, but she didn’t think about checking the time until Wendy asked. She reaches for her phone under the pillow trying to move as little as possible so she doesn’t disturb her friend.

“9:30. Wanna get up?”

“No, you’re warm, I wanna cuddle.” Wendy replied sounding as if she was about to fall back asleep any second. “Hug me and let’s go back to sleep.”

 


 

They didn’t wake up again until early afternoon, Wendy isn’t as interested in cuddles now that she is conscious enough to be embarrassed about her behaviour in the morning. Sooyoung finds it kind of adorable to see the girl acting all shy over that, maybe it’s time for her to admit that most things about Wendy give her this reaction. It’s just that she is so small compared to her and that makes her actions a lot cuter.

Sooyoung is preparing food for them when Wendy comes out of the bedroom after freshening up, bag in hand and obviously trying to avoid looking at her.

“I guess I’ll get going then,” she says putting the bag on her shoulder, “thanks for letting me stay over.”

“You are not leaving.”

That gets Wendy to look at her, eyes wide, clearly not expecting Sooyoung to ask her to stay much less tell her she won’t leave. “What do you mean I’m not leaving?”

“You’ll have breakfast with me.”

“I should go, no need for breakfast,” she looks down as Sooyoung starts walking towards her, “I’m not even hungry.”

Sooyoung gently takes Wendy’s backpack and puts it on an empty chair, hand going back to her shoulder right after. “Why are you acting so shy around me again?”

“I’m not.”

“Is it because we slept together? Did I make you uncomfortable?”

“What?… I mean no,” she takes a deep breath, “You didn’t make me uncomfortable, it’s just that… I don’t know, isn’t it weird that I was so clingy?”

“No, of course not,” she gives Wendy’s shoulder a squeeze, “it’s okay.”

“I’m not usually like that.” she says, voice trembling, barely above a whisper.

“Wendy, it really is okay, you can be as clingy as you want when you are with me.” Sooyoung is happy to see that this makes Wendy look at her, “I really liked cuddling with you, there’s no need for you to be shy about it.”

“You did?”

Sooyoung smiles at that, “I did, you are more than welcome to sleep over whenever you want if I continue to have such a nice sleep when you hug me.”

“Okay,” Wendy says nodding as if to convince herself that it really is, “sorry for freaking out.”

“Don’t apologise, it’s completely normal to have an emotional response to unexpected situations,” Sooyoung holds Wendy’s hand and pulls her to the kitchen, “Now let’s eat, I’m starving.”

After they finish eating and washing the dishes, Sooyoung convinces Wendy to stay a little longer and watch one of her comfort films since last time they did this with Wendy’s favourite film.

“10 things I hate about you? Really?”

“Come on, it’s a classic!” she says slightly offended, “I always watch it when I want something fun and kinda cute.”

“I’m not judging,” Sooyoung looks at her with doubt, “I’m not! I just didn’t take you for someone who watches cute teen rom-coms.”

“Maybe I have a soft side.”

Wendy chuckles, “Yeah, maybe you do.”

They start watching the film on opposite sides of the couch, but not even five minutes in Sooyoung lies down, legs resting on Wendy’s lap. By the time Patrick sings on the bleachers, Sooyoung has Wendy’s right hand between hers and is playing with her fingers. When Kat reads her poem in the film they are both lying down on the couch with Wendy mostly on top of Sooyoung.

After they finish watching the film Wendy convinces Sooyoung that she really needs to go home so they walk together to the bus stop and when Wendy leaves is the first time in two days that Sooyoung is alone. She is used to being alone most of the time, but this time it gets her down a little. On her walk back home she picks up some ramen and candy to try and cheer up.

The insomnia isn’t so bad that night, but next morning she is not as well rested as when she had Wendy with her. She arrives at class very sleepy and goes straight to her default position of laying her head on the desk. A few minutes later she feels a hand on her hair, which usually means Joohyun has arrived.

“Good morning, unnie.”

“Good morning,” the reply comes in a voice that isn’t the one she expected, “bad night of sleep?”

Sooyoung quickly sits properly to look at the person talking to her, “Wendy… I didn’t know it was you.”

“Disappointed?” Wendy asks with a pout.

“Of course not, just surprised.”

“Come here, you can rest for a few minutes.” Wendy gets her chair closer to Sooyoung’s and opens her arms encouraging the other to hug her, which Sooyoung is happy to do. Her head now rests comfortably on Wendy’s shoulder, much better than a cold desk, and both her hands around the older girl’s waist.

“Oh, this is new.” Joohyun says after seeing the scene, Sooyoung doesn’t even bother to open her eyes before responding.

“Good morning to you too.”

“Yeah, sorry. Good morning, girls.”

Sooyoung can feel how Wendy’s body stiffened a bit, but her voice sounds normal when she greets Joohyun and she keeps her back softly, she hopes to be able to stay in this position for a little longer.

“Whoa, it seems like we missed something this weekend.” Yeri says way too loudly as soon as she walks past the door, hitting Seulgi’s arm to make sure she also notices it. “Since when are you two so close?”

This is what finally makes Sooyoung move away and look at her friends, she still keeps her left hand around Wendy’s waist, “Why are you all like this?” she asks annoyedly.

“I don’t know, maybe because in all the years I know you I never saw you actually hugging someone unless it was their birthday or something,” Yeri replies.

“Maybe it’s because she is a better hugger than all of you.” her reply gets an eye roll from Yeri, but they drop the subject and start catching up on the work done in the weekend when the group was supposed to meet.


A.N.: I didn't mean to go so long without updating, but time is very confusing right now.