01 - Dark

Dark Luck

Wonwoo stared, eyes blown wide in horror as he stared directly down the barrel of a gun which was pointed straight at his forehead. The cold wind gently tugged at the edges of his scarf and nipped at his already freezing cheeks, but he could hardly feel anything, already numb from the fear coursing through his veins.

 

The park seemed way to quiet and serene for Wonwoo to handle, the peaceful surroundings completely juxtaposing the current mess of his thoughts and emotions. If anything, the silence he had been enjoying only a few moments ago had now turned sinister and he longed to hear the footsteps of someone, anyone who could help him.

 

Pupils trembling, Wonwoo carefully shifted his gaze from the gun and to the man holding it. His blood turned cold as soon as he met the eyes of the stranger. They were blank, emotionless, empty and Wonwoo had never felt fear quite like it.

 

Slowly, the man lowered the gun and continued to stare, unblinkingly, right back at Wonwoo’s trembling figure, before finally taking a step backwards and away from him. Wonwoo stayed, frozen to the spot until the man was further away from him, blurred into the distance.

 

Wonwoo carefully turned around, taking in a shaking breath now that he was finally able to breathe again before he abruptly came to a halt, almost tripping over his own feet. Mingyu stood there, a look of mild shock on his face as he met Wonwoo’s gaze, his hands gripping his side. Wonwoo felt his heart drop to his stomach as he watched his boyfriend stumble forwards slightly, hands gripping onto his side and a piercing scream of Mingyu’s name echoed through silence. He feet began to move and before he realised it, he was full on sprinting towards Mingyu’s rapidly falling body, blind terror making him run faster than he knew was possible.

 

He barely felt the pain of his knees hitting the ground at full force as he tripped in the snow, hands scraping against the cold pavement as he scrambled to pick himself up. He continued to run desperately towards Mingyu only to stumble again, this time landing right next the younger boy. His trembling hands gripped onto Mingyu’s coat and tears filled his eyes when he saw the calm expression of the other.

 

Mingyu’s hand met Wonwoo’s cheek, fingers brushing away the tears and bringing a comforting warmth with it. There was a gentle, loving smile of Mingyu’s lips as his eyes flitted across Wonwoo’s face, almost frantic as they took in every one of his features, as though it would be the last time he got the chance. A small cry left Wonwoo’s lips as he felt the hand begin to drop from where it rested on his neck and his grip on Mingyu’s coat tightened. A shaky breath and Mingyu’s eyes fell shut, his hand falling to the ground with a soft thud.

 

Wonwoo felt fresh tears make their way down his face as he pulled Mingyu’s body closer towards him, trying to get a response from the younger. As he grabbed onto the side of Mingyu’s torso however, he stopped. Turning his head ever so slowly, he came face-to-face with his hand which was now covered in dark red. He looked back down at his side and shifted the coat slightly to reveal a blood-soaked jumper. The snow was stained the same shade as his hand and Wonwoo had never felt more helpless before in his life.

 

He turned back to Mingyu as he reached a shaking hand into his pocket to retrieve his phone and quickly dialled the emergency services, putting the phone to his ear and looking down at Mingyu. His lover’s eyes were open and watching him with a gentle expression that made Wonwoo whimper in despair. He heard a woman’s voice come through the speakers and started sobbing into the phone, trying his best to tell her where he was without completely breaking down. Just as he finished giving her the details he glanced back down at Mingyu’s face only to see the younger with his head lolled to the side, eyes still open but now glazed over, almost unseeing. He was barely breathing.

 

The phone slipped from Wonwoo’s hand and he lurched forwards, grabbing onto Mingyu’s coat again and calling his name, voice growing increasingly loud until he was practically screaming in desperation. He shook Mingyu’s body, tears streaming down his face as he got no response. His hands slowly lost their grip as he fell forwards, his forehead coming to rest on Mingyu’s chest as sobs wracked his body.

 

Wonwoo heard sirens in the distance and took a deep breath, but no matter how much he tried to calm the tears, they continued to stream down his face. The soft fabric of Mingyu’s jumper (the one that only this morning Wonwoo had stolen from him and had refused to return, only giving in when Mingyu started a tickle fight) became soaked in his tears which was starting to mix with the blood already there.

 

Wonwoo turned his face to the side, in an attempt to hear Mingyu’s slowing heartbeat more clearly, trying to reassure himself that his boyfriend was still alive, that the ambulance would be here soon when his eyes fell upon the boy’s right hand, resting in the snow. In his grasp was a small, pristine white ring box.

 

No.

 

Oh, please God no.

 

Wonwoo reached over and had to remind himself to breathe as he pulled his hand back, the box gripped tightly in his fist. A sob ripped through his throat as he brought the box to his face, eyes raking over the soft white material before stopping at the golden clasp. He carefully pushed the box open and began crying hysterically. A silver engagement ring glinted in the light that the streetlamps cast over them and Wonwoo could barely breathe. The ring was a simple band of silver with a small diamond square in the centre. It was perfect.

 

Wonwoo slipped it onto his ring finger and brought his hand up to lips, gasping for breath and almost inhaling the tears streaming down his cheeks as the cool metal came into contact with his skin. Then sirens were louder than ever now, and he began whipping his head around, searching in anguish for any sign of the ambulance, praying that they had arrived and that Mingyu was going to live.

 

He let out a cry of relief when he saw flashing lights beyond the line of trees and the ambulance rounding the corner. He turned his head back to Mingyu and gripped onto the hand of the man who owned his heart tightly, not wanting to let go of the slight warmth that still remained and watched his chest carefully making sure that it was still rising and falling.

 

One breath. Two breaths. Three breaths.

 

Where was the fourth. Oh God where was the fourth breath.

 

Wonwoo began hyperventilating as running footsteps sounded behind him and someone knelt next to him whist someone else gently pried his fingers from Mingyu’s hand and pulled him to his feet. He stood on shaky legs and watched as more paramedics began to surround Mingyu, eventually losing sight of them as he was turned and walked over to one of the benches located nearby.

 

All attempts at communication by the paramedic in front of him fell upon deaf ears as Wonwoo stared with watery eyes at the ring on his finger. He suddenly felt drained and his head began to pound with exhaustion. He gripped at the fabric of his jeans and felt his eyes growing heavier. He couldn’t fall asleep, he needed to make sure that Mingyu was ok. He needed to make sure that Mingyu was alive. His fingers curled into fists and the last thing Wonwoo saw was the glint of his engagement ring and a stretcher covered in a white sheet being carried towards the ambulance before he out completely.